Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: nice clip of ShiDeJain

nice clip of ShiDeJain

shaolin applications by a monk supposedly finally.... this was shown to the shaolinwolf forum as well,but they thought downly of the clip....ENJOY

http://www.youtube.com/w/Shi-DeJian?...search=shaolin

tell me what ya think?

Those apps could get you killed.

that is awesome
    i wish i had reaction skills like that
    is he doing monkey style?
    kinda look like monkey?
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

Stepping on your opponents feet is actually a pretty good move. I've used it with some success in free sparring. It immediately begates any footwork defense and opens a gate or two to the attacker.

I think many of those apps are pretty good. It is much easier to see them in teh context with which they are shown. Results would differ if the opponent was fully resisting and what not, but that doesn't negate the validity of them on that supposition.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Good ol' Dejian

I was really lucky to be able to interveiw Dejian in 2003 (we ran the story later). He's a special one. What is that video from? The subtitles make me think it's some documentary.

If I had to pin those applications to a particular form, I'd have to say qixing.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

u know what gene..after looking at the video again..i do see some qi xing in there...when you sa qi xing you are referring to seven star right?
    but also..i learned some of the applications to qixing form before with one of the shaolin monks here in houston...and a lot of those applications on the videos never learned(i also understand there is 2190381+ ways to interepret a form and one application).....and what really gets me is the way he jumps around side to side, it really look like a monkey so yeah
    and i also dont remember any butt attacks in the form either..lol so yeah
    the beginning of the video i can see some qixing in there, but from the 1/4 and on i see a lot of monkey lolz
    i guess it also because of the way he laughs, since monkey remind me of giggly happy person.
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團

usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts

That is just a dingbu stance when he jumps to the side. Common in all shaolin forms. I personally am not impressed with his apps. There is no sturcture or theory to it. What if he jumps to the side to avoid a feint punch and then when he is down there you kick his face in? Apps only make sense when they put you in a position of superioirty. Many of those apps put him in a bad position and only have one strike. That usually doesn't get the job done. I have seen people eat a perfect haymaker right down the pipe pick a guy up slam him and stomp him.
    Amother question is when to use each one of these apps. That is the most important thing. In shaolin I have yet to be told when to use each app. So the answer when someone throws a punch is to duck into dingbu? Pretty ridiculuos if you ask me.

Some of us can relate.....

I think some of us have heard that almost famous "giggle" before we ended up on our back!! Nice Video

I think he got the hip and shoulder checks from watching canadian hockey.

Those types of moves have a proven track record on the ice.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortal1
    That is just a dingbu stance when he jumps to the side. Common in all shaolin forms. I personally am not impressed with his apps. There is no sturcture or theory to it. What if he jumps to the side to avoid a feint punch and then when he is down there you kick his face in? Apps only make sense when they put you in a position of superioirty. Many of those apps put him in a bad position and only have one strike. That usually doesn't get the job done. I have seen people eat a perfect haymaker right down the pipe pick a guy up slam him and stomp him.
    Amother question is when to use each one of these apps. That is the most important thing. In shaolin I have yet to be told when to use each app. So the answer when someone throws a punch is to duck into dingbu? Pretty ridiculuos if you ask me.

yeah i know stance it is
    but look at the way he jumps. just like the way you jump in monkey style
    lolz
    there are many things you can do when someone throw a punch obviously. and obviously he was just showing some technique. and doesnt mean its neccesary the best technique to use either. but he was just showing different applications that shaolin has. (that what i think and form what i see)(probably was just showing some of the *tradtional* ways of fighting)
    shaolin never tell you when to use each apps, because that is for you to figure out. that is the fun part of shaolin. when you learn and understand WHEN and HOW to use each applications, you know you are advancing and improving. =)

o and tehcniqually that isnt dingbu stance, dingbu stance is when the legs are together and the you are pretty balled up, standing one foot and your other foot on the toes. that stance(shown in the video) is some stance from qixing chang.
    i
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團

usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts

What?

How are you supposed to apply them if you've only been shown what they are but not how to use them. At least in the beginners stage you should be taught that. Otherwise I'd guess the teacher doesn't know how to use his style in fighting. The fun part is having a teacher not teach you and you have to guess things and find out for yourself? Why not quit Shaolin and make your own style if that's the way you're taught?

i figured out a lot of applications without my teacher showing me what they are?
    i mean i might not be able to use it in a fight. but if we do it in slow motion, i can apply it. lolz
    but its possible, just gotta do the form a lot, slow it down, do it fast, break it down, and it will come to you. =)
    that is why it is called KUNG FU
    hard work
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團

usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts

one thing I liked about the vid was the foot plants. now you know why there are all the foot "stomps" sometimes not stomps at all but they keep your man right in line for the attack.

i've used that on quite a few drunks I've needed to move along.

one thing I did not think were so great were some of dejian's kicks and some of the strikes, I think this was just a couple of guys kind of goofing around a bit but I have seen some monks really use the six harmonies, well, the three physical ones and that usually requires a lot of extension.

could have been more resistance between the two.

de jian could afford to cut out of line and attack, he wasn't in danger of a second attack or set up as they were pretty much goofing along the you do this I do that and badabing bada boom.

Yeah, looked kind of relaxed and goofy... maybe just messing around for the camera... A couple times Shi De Jian did shock me with his quickness though, and I think he looks pretty strong too

I agree with Rich the foot stomps are very usefull.

I use them all the time in sparring. But as far as figuring apps out on your own. That is just ridiculus. That is what teachers are for. Since the younger generations of "monks" is just focusing on taolu the apps aren't even tauhgt and are slowy but surely dissapearing from the forms.

Kungfu is called hard work but you need to be taught what type of work to do. You aren't suppossed to be figuring things out things for yourself. Just invent your own system for that matter.

Also that is no where near monkey on any level. Seven star maybe. Shaolin monkey style is imitative boxing without much application.

I strongly suggest seeking out an insturctor that actually teaches real fighting. Then you will see why those apps are beyond ridiculus.