Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SHANG-CHI "MASTER of KUNG FU"

MASTER of KUNG FU's back!!!

yes indeed... the Master of Kungfu is back at the comic shop...

brought to you by Doug Moench /Paul Gulacy

I read it... should I review it or wait for a few other fans to check it out?

I have amassed about 1/3 of the old "Shang Chi" books.

Why the heck won't Marvel get them together into a "Essential Master of Kung Fu" black and white binding?

We don't need any more modernized plastic surgery Shang Chi's looking like kung fu prettyboys.

We need the good ol' stuff.

I want O'Neill and Cowan to start doing "The Question" again, personally.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Re: MASTER of KUNG FU's back!!!

Originally posted by Design Sifu
    yes indeed... the Master of Kungfu is back at the comic shop...

brought to you by Doug Moench /Paul Gulacy

I read it... should I review it or wait for a few other fans to check it out?
    yes, please review it so we can see what it's like.

thanks

Actually...

I stopped buying it after the first issue...

it was rather disapointing. However, I only read bits of the original series, so it would be interesting to hear from someone who was a long time fan.

ha. that's too bad. i had 3 old issues that i bought for cheap nearly 7 yrs ago. haven't read much comics in college, but in high school i got into the valiant universe. my favorite was NINJAK. he was a badass.

but that reminds me...actually, in my third year of college i got into reading the translated lone wolf and cub graphic novels. talk about a real badass ronin. i think i got through the first 8 issues.

ah the good ol' days...anyone know where i can buy them used (LWAC) for cheap?

Speaking of The Question, there's apparently going to be a new series starting next spring written by Roarin' Rick Vietch and drawn by Tommy Lee Edwards. Sounds promising to me.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

Speaking of The Question

looks preety good no ?
    Both "The Question" and "Vigilante" will examine how crime operates in Metropolis under the watch of Superman. Didio explained that "The Question and Vigilante are identifying the types of crime that Superman doesn't identify. ... the flip side of 'Gotham Central.'"

"The Question" will be written by Rick Veitch with art by Tommy Lee Edwards and will see the character face street level crime in Metropolis. The new "Vigilante" will be illustrated by Wildstorm artist Carlos D'Anda and will be written by 'StormWatch' scribe Micah Ian Wright. It will explore the wrongs committed by corporate entities, like LexCorp.
    The Question and Superman... S T R A N G E

Not so much to me. I had an idea years ago (that obviously I should have developed and pitched) with Vic Sage and Clark Kent both being on the scene when a press conference by a controversial third world leader at the United Nations erupted into a terrorist attack. The idea was to use the "Die-Hard"ish setting as a way to explore their characters. Id've kept them both out of costume and let their personalities and goals determine their dealings with the attackers, instead of focussing on Superpowers and martial skills.

Looks like I've been beaten to the punch on that concept, though.
    Crippled Avenger

my friend at kung fu let me borrow them. saw so many guns being used to i jsut skimmed through it.

SHANG-CHI "MASTER of KUNG FU"

rumor has it.
    On a recent interview regarding “Brokeback Mountain” with Spanish newspaper “El Mundo”, Ang Lee, when asked about future projects, revealed his status as producer on "The hands of Shang-Chi", to be directed by Woo-Ping Yuen, and based on the martial arts comics by Marvel comics. He established the plot as “A martial arts master who must battle his own father, as he discovers his role as dangerous criminal”.

The interview was published here in Chile by newspaper“El Mercurio”, this Sunday, but Avi Arad confirmed a Shang-chi film to be in development in . . .without revealing any info on a director or producer.
    thoughts?

Hope it happens

Given the success of CTHD and Brokeback, that would be fascinating. Could a comicbook get an Oscar nod? Well, the Hulk surely did not.

I've always said I though Ang Lee was best at directing women (and there's a Brokeback joke in there, I know). I think Hulk would have been more successful if it had been She-Hulk. Was there any significant women in Shang Chi's story? Could we add a few? How about She-Hulk?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Greetings,

The thought of bringing back anything that equates Chinese and other Asiatic peoples with the "Yellow Peril" makes me cringe. Shang Chi was the son of Fu Manchu, a "dangerous person" to the efforts of colonialism and imperialism.

There was an issue where he was involed with the wonderful feminine aspect (I think it was Marvel King Sized edition #3). He accidentally kills her. The depiction of the two of them kissing on a park bench was HOT for the time. I remember it with much fondness.

mickey

Who to star?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

what movie?

As the rumors of a movie have all but evaporated we can at least enjoy a preview of the Master of Kung Fu's latest exploits.