Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SHANG-CHI "MASTER of KUNG FU"

this movie was and still is in complete limbo...at one point i heard from very reliable source that keanu reeves was attached. but that fizzled and dont think yuen woo ping is attached anymore either. so we'll see.

What about the Iron Fist movie?

we'll see what happens and how popular ray park gets on hero's, thats the only thing i can see reviving that film. but then again now that marvel has disney money behind them, they can start doing films they werent able to before.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    we'll see what happens and how popular ray park gets on hero's, thats the only thing i can see reviving that film. but then again now that marvel has disney money behind them, they can start doing films they werent able to before.
    If they don't kill him off on the series that is....
    Ray's acting seems to get better but the jury is out.
    I don't think I would make a movie around him as the sole attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If they don't kill him off on the series that is....
    Ray's acting seems to get better but the jury is out.
    I don't think I would make a movie around him as the sole attraction.
    Simple Solution . . . Heroes for Hire with Tyrese Gibson as Luke Cage...

As for Keanu's Kung Fu... last I heard he was going to be flexing it as the lead to the live action COWBOY BEBOP movie.

I actually used to read the Master of Kung Fu comics back in the '70s. He had a female love interest, an agent oddly named Leiko Wu, I believe. The early issues in the series were the best. The artwork was excellent, esp. by Paul Galacy.

But I agree with mickey about the whole Fu Manchu thing. There was the race thing and all which was considered acceptable at the time, but would be a step back for Asians in cinema in the West. If they could scrap the whole Fu Manchu, Black Jack Tarr, Nayland Smith(?) aspect of the story, it would be good.

NOT Keanu Reeves, though. There's gotta be somebody way more qualified to play Shang-Chi than that. Though I think Keanu could look a lot like Sub-Mariner if he had a flat-top haircut and Spock ears. I'd much rather see Donnie Yen star as Shang-Chi. Plus his moves and his physique would more resemble the comic (Shang-Chi was often drawn in imitation of BL). Maggie Q might be a good Leiko Wu.

frickin Iron Fist!

yeah mofos!

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I actually used to read the Master of Kung Fu comics back in the '70s. He had a female love interest, an agent oddly named Leiko Wu, I believe. The early issues in the series were the best. The artwork was excellent, esp. by Paul Galacy.

But I agree with mickey about the whole Fu Manchu thing. There was the race thing and all which was considered acceptable at the time, but would be a step back for Asians in cinema in the West. If they could scrap the whole Fu Manchu, Black Jack Tarr, Nayland Smith(?) aspect of the story, it would be good.

NOT Keanu Reeves, though. There's gotta be somebody way more qualified to play Shang-Chi than that. Though I think Keanu could look a lot like Sub-Mariner if he had a flat-top haircut and Spock ears. I'd much rather see Donnie Yen star as Shang-Chi. Plus his moves and his physique would more resemble the comic (Shang-Chi was often drawn in imitation of BL). Maggie Q might be a good Leiko Wu.
    I preferred Mike Zeck's work to be honest, his fighting was more "honest".
    I agree, Donnie would make a most excellent Shang Chi.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    frickin Iron Fist!

yeah mofos!

I finished the "Immortal Iron fist" saga and loved it, though it was a tad too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Design Sifu View Post
    Simple Solution . . . Heroes for Hire with Tyrese Gibson as Luke Cage...

As for Keanu's Kung Fu... last I heard he was going to be flexing it as the lead to the live action COWBOY BEBOP movie.
    i hope your joking about tyrese gibson.............

terry crews would be a better pick a way better pick.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I finished the "Immortal Iron fist" saga and loved it, though it was a tad too long.
    It ain't over yet. Immortal Iron Fist is on hiatus. Pick up Immortal Weapons. The first issue is a good one about Fat Cobra.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    It ain't over yet. Immortal Iron Fist is on hiatus. Pick up Immortal Weapons. The first issue is a good one about Fat Cobra.
    Yeah, I am all burnt out on comics, LOL !
    Maybe when it gets to Tigers Beautiful daughter

The new Shang Chi

Some reviews
    Short And Sweet Review For New Shang-Chi Master Of Kung Fu One Shot
    by Brad Curran

It's awesome. Everyone should buy it, but especially Greg Hatcher, because it is pandering to him pretty heavily. But everyone should (hopefully) enjoy the lead story, by Jonathan Hickman and Kody Chamberlin, where Shang-Chi and Deadpool bond over hot dogs and something awesome happens frequently (at least every other panel; I'll have to re-read to make sure).

I hope you can overlook my past indiscretions and find it in your heart to give this one a shot, if not because of me, than in spite of me, because it really will improve your life. Or just follow the King's advice when it comes to things you might not totally understand but still desperately need in your life.
    Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu #1 Review
    The master of kung fu returns in an homage to his classic series.
    by Jesse Schedeen

September 30, 2009 - Marvel and black-and-white comics don't necessarily get along these days, but they used to be good buddies a few decades ago. Characters like Shang-Chi and Blade thrived in the cheap, moody real of black-and-white. Apparently some of the current crew at Marvel have fond memories of those days, because Shang-Chi is back and thriving in a new blac-and-white adventure. I wasn't sure what to expect from Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu, but whatever expectations I had were blown away.

If you're not familiar with Shang-Chi, he's the other martial artist superhero in the Marvel Universe. He doesn't have Iron Fist's fancy iron fist or his yellow booties, but he does have an intriguing back story and Bruce Lee-style charm. The various stories in this special run the gamut from campy road adventures to traditional martial arts brawls. The only real uniting factor is the color scheme, or lack thereof.

I was admittedly concerned upon seeing Deadpool sharing cover space with Shang-Chi. Did this issue really need to resort to such shameless cross-promotion? Luckily, Deadpool's role in the opening story is very well done. Actually, those curious how Jonathan Hickman wold handle the Merc With a Mouth can rely on this issue for evidence. Hickman's story is utterly ridiculous in concept, execution, and even title. In short, Shang-Chi and Deadpool are competing in a cross-country motorcycle death race against the likes of a team of luchador wrestlers and a duo known as the Hitler Twins. This story is so very, very goofy, and I loved every panel of it. The quirky, independent sensibility that sometimes comes up lacking in Hickman's Marvel work is on full display here. Even Kody Chamberlin's exaggerated watercolors evoke Hickman's past Image work. By the final page of this odd tale I already felt like my money was well spent.

The following two tales are somewhat more traditional in execution. Mike Benson and Tom Coker team for a cinematic kung fu brawl. Essentially, this is the sort of noir story Coker should have turned in when he drew Daredevil Noir. Far from appearing static or posed, Coker's figures dance and fight like an old movie unfolding on the page. Benson's script is enjoyable, if not terribly creative. I did appreciate the way all the dialogue appeared in traditional Chinese script with English subtitles below. It was a clever way of achieving that foreign movie feel.

Charlie Huston and Enrique Romero offer what is easily the most traditional Shang-Chi story. This tale alone looks as if it could easily have been lifted from one of the old magazines. It comes up lacking in creativity, and Romero's art doesn't really stand out when compared to the others, but it still makes for a nice counterpoint to the other, more modern stories in the issue.

The final segment is an illustrated prose piece written by Robin Furth and drawn by Paul Gulacy. As with her back-matter material in the Dark Tower books, Furth does an excellent job diving into the nuts and bolts of our hero and exploring what makes him and his world tick. Gulacy's art is sparing, but mostly effective.

With 48 pages of story and no ads (apart from a single fake one), Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu #1 is one of those rare books that fully justifies its $4 price tag. I would have liked to see some level of contribution from classic Shang-Chi writers, but that's a minor complaint. Easily the most pleasant surprise of the week, I find myself wondering what could be done with a more long-term Shang-Chi project in the future. With the right creative team behind him, this hero could experience a resurgence every bit as big as Iron Fist's.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hmmmm, interesting....

Spider-Island: Deadly Hands of Kung Fu

SPIDER-ISLAND's Shang-Chi Mini 'All About Kung Fu Action'
    By Albert Ching, Newsarama Staff Writer
    posted: 06 June 2011 02:22 pm ET

This year's Free Comic Book Day issue of Amazing Spider-Man gave Shang-Chi an important role to play in the Spider-Man corner of the Marvel Universe — using his "Master of Kung Fu" status to teach Spidey some serious skills, in order to compensate for the title character's recent loss of his Spider-Sense.

Shang-Chi is taking the next step in August by starring in Spider-Island: Deadly Hands of Kung Fu, a three-issue miniseries tying in to the summer's Spider-Man event. Writer Antony Johnston and artist Sebastián Fiumara are the creative team for the series, which also includes prominent roles for Iron Fist and The Bride of Nine Spiders.

Newsarama caught up with Johnston over email to chat about Shang-Chi's place in Spider-Man's world, reuniting with Fiumara, the writer's affinity for the wuxia genre, and some hints about his upcoming work outside of superheroes.

Newsarama: Antony, the last time we talked, it was about Shadowland: Blood on the Streets, and now you're taking on another lesser-known, street-level Marvel hero in Shang-Chi. Yet given the character's recent momentum from appearing in Secret Avengers and now becoming a part of the Spider-Man corner of the Marvel Universe, he may not be "lesser-known" for long. Do you see a possibility of Shang-Chi becoming a breakout Marvel star, much in the way that, say, Moon Knight has elevated in stature lately?

Antony Johnston: It’s a possibility, sure. I don’t think there’s anything preventing any particular character from breaking out, especially at the moment — it’s more a question of them being elevated to a higher status through the attention of a high-profile creator, or an editorial decision.

Whether that’s on the cards for Shang-Chi, I don’t know, but I’d love to see it. He’s a great character, with a rich history and loads of potential.
    Ads by Google
    Thor Movie Costumes
    Thor Costumes & Accessories Like The Movie. Top Quality, Ships Fast!
    buycostumes.com
    K12 Online High School
    Your Child Deserves an Outstanding Education Discover K12 Today!
    www.K12.com
    PBteen® Dorm
    Head to College in Style with Dorm Essentials from PBteen. Shop Now!
    www.pbteen.com

Nrama: That said, though he is a cult favorite, Shang-Chi as a starring character has traditionally had a hard time catching on with audiences as a whole over the years. What do you think might have kept Shang-Chi from taking off in the past, and are there any lessons to be learned in how you're approaching this project?

Johnston: All I’m doing is trying to tell the best story I can with a great character. I’m not here to deconstruct Shang-Chi, or go all post-modern on him.

As for having a hard time catching on, I disagree. This is a character whose original headline series ran for 125 issues. Just let that sink in a while, you know? These days, if a series makes it to issue #10 it’s a raging success.

Shang’s problem is that, in most people’s minds, he’s intrinsically tied to the 70s kung fu craze. And there’s no way of getting round that — it’s why he was created, after all. But it’s just a perception we need to get people over. Like I said, all it would take is a concerted push from somewhere. Remember when Deadpool was a one-joke character with no future?

Nrama: The big hook of Spider-Island is that all of Manhattan is getting super-powers — including Shang-Chi. Since he's one of Marvel's most prominent unpowered superheroes, what kind of opportunity is it to get to write him with powers (at least temporarily)?

Johnston: It’s fun, it changes some of the things you can do with him and his martial arts. Make no mistake, this book is all about kung fu action. But the events of Spider-Island mean we can now do kung fu with people sticking to walls and jumping eighty feet in the air, like a classic wuxia movie. Brilliant.

Shang’s spider-powers aren’t just about extra-cool kung fu moves, though. They have an important part to play in the actual plot, too.

Nrama: This year's Amazing Spider-Man Free Comic Book Day issue established Shang-Chi's place within the Spidey side of the MU, and this miniseries further cements that status. Why do you think Shang-Chi is a good fit with the world of Spider-Man?

Johnston: Spider-Man’s just more down to earth than many other heroes, and despite all his philosophical Chi musings, so is Shang-Chi. I think they see good qualities reflected in each other. Bravery, honesty, the will to stand up for what’s right, no matter the cost — despite the fact that neither of them has godlike powers, or can regenerate, or whatever.

I’ve said it many times — what makes characters interesting to me is how susceptible they are to threats. There’s a class difference with superheroes; you can either take a bullet to the head and survive, or you can’t. Both Spidey and Shang are firmly in the “can’t” category.

Nrama: Speaking of members of the New Avengers — Iron Fist is also in this series. How big of a role does he play? The Bride of Nine Spiders is also in the series, which is interesting, since the Immortal Iron Fist series was a natural tonal match for Shang-Chi. (And that series helped raise the profile of Iron Fist, like how Shang-Chi might be headed for a similar bump.)

Johnston: Iron Fist and The Bride of Nine Spiders are both major players in this story, you’ll be seeing plenty of them. I was a huge fan of the Immortal Iron Fist series, so I’m very happy to be writing them here.

I agree they’re a good fit with Shang-Chi, it surprises me we haven’t seen them working together more already. Maybe that’ll change...

Nrama: For this series, you're reuniting with artist Sebastián Fiumara, who you worked with several years ago on Alan Moore's Hypothetical Lizard. How has his art evolved since then? And why do the two of you seem drawn to stories with animals in the title?

Johnston: Our next book will be Squirrel Girl.

Seba’s come on leaps and bounds since we did Lizard, and frankly, he was no slouch back then. He’s just a great artist, a clear but imaginative storyteller, and his character designs are great. I love working with him.

Nrama: Outside of Shang-Chi, there isn't too vast of a history of kung fu in comic books, but there is certainly one in film — any particular titles that may have inspired you in the crafting of this series?

Johnston: I’m a fan of wuxia in general, so straight off I’ll watch anything directed by Tsui Hark, or with Yuen Woo-ping choreographing. Donnie Yen’s made some great movies in that vein, as has Jet Li (and they’re great opposite one another in Once Upon a Time in China II) but be warned, they’ve also made some pretty bad stuff which is only worth watching for the fights, like the Legend series.

And then there’s all the other Golden Harvest releases, and Chow Yun Fat’s occasional wuxia roles, the ’70s Bruce Lee classics... the point is, there’s no one particular movie that served as inspiration for this story. It’s just a general love of the martial arts genre, especially wuxia. And if anyone reading this wants to get into it, there’s plenty of stuff out there to choose from.

Nrama: Finally, I just wanted to ask if you're working on anything else you'd like to talk about — I think people familiar with solely your Marvel work may only know you from street-level crime books like Daredevil and Shadowland: Blood on the Streets, but your work first caught my attention with Three Days in Europe, which was pretty far removed from all that.

Johnston: Unfortunately, I can’t talk about the majority of things I’m working on right now. Another series for Marvel, a couple of videogames, and some graphic novels, are all ongoing at the moment, but I’m not allowed to discuss them yet.

If someone who liked my DD work wants to see what else I get up to, they’re probably in for a shock. Most of my work is very far removed from superheroes, like Wasteland (post-apocalypse), the Dead Space games (horror) or even the Alex Rider graphic novels (teen spy).

Even the one thing I can talk about, The Coldest City is different again — a Cold War espionage graphic novel by me and Sam Hart, due out next year through Oni Press.

But it’s all very "me," so of course I’d encourage readers to check all those books out! There’s more info about all my work on my website, antonyjohnston.com.
    Deadly Hands of Kung Fu...now where have I heard that before?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart