Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SHANG-CHI "MASTER of KUNG FU"

Not sure if I am a fan of Shang having super powers....
    I think that the whole Shang Chi story, set in a modern time, would be very cool.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

That Deadly Hands of Kung Fu cover brings back memories...I had probably every issue of that big B&W mag. The Shang-Chi stories in Deadly Hands fashioned him into a wandering modern-day Kwai Chang Caine, as opposed to the regular comic series. The first time Spiderman and Shang-Chi appeared together was in a special Spiderman issue back around the mid-1970s.

Why would they give everyone superpowers? Doesn't that kind of cancel out any advantage of having them?

I always preferred Shang-Chi over Iron Fist. Except for the Fu Manchu connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    That Deadly Hands of Kung Fu cover brings back memories...I had probably every issue of that big B&W mag. The Shang-Chi stories in Deadly Hands fashioned him into a wandering modern-day Kwai Chang Caine, as opposed to the regular comic series. The first time Spiderman and Shang-Chi appeared together was in a special Spiderman issue back around the mid-1970s.

Why would they give everyone superpowers? Doesn't that kind of cancel out any advantage of having them?

I always preferred Shang-Chi over Iron Fist. Except for the Fu Manchu connection.
    Which B&W series is that?

The Deadly Hands of Kung Fu. It was one of the larger comic mags that were all in B&W. Marvel had other B&W mags too, like The Savage Sword of Conan, Cracked (a Mad Magazine knockoff), Vampire Tales, etc., etc. Deadly Hands contained different stories, including Shang-Chi, Sons of the Tiger/The White Tiger, and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The Deadly Hands of Kung Fu. It was one of the larger comic mags that were all in B&W. Marvel had other B&W mags too, like The Savage Sword of Conan, Cracked (a Mad Magazine knockoff), Vampire Tales, etc., etc. Deadly Hands contained different stories, including Shang-Chi, Sons of the Tiger/The White Tiger, and others.
    It was an older one then? 80's ?

Deadly Hands ran from approximately 1974 to '76 (I think) or '77 at the latest. I stopped collecting Marvels around '81 or so, and by then Deadly Hands was long-gone.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-23-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Just dropped

Anyone pick it up yet?
    Spider-Island: Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #1
    by Ryan K. Lindsay, Reviewer |

Story by
    Antony Johnston
    Art by
    Sebastian Fiumara, John Lucas
    Colors by
    Dan Brown
    Letters by
    Joe Sabino
    Cover by
    Sebastian Fiumara
    Publisher
    Marvel Comics

Cover Price
    $2.99 (USD)
    Release Date
    Aug 31st, 2011

Sat, September 3rd, 2011 at 8:18PM (PDT)

This is a Shang-Chi comic, make no mistake about it. Though it might be tied to the Spider-Island event stemming from Marvel’s flagship character, this is an independently styled comic in almost every respect. Antony Johnston has touted this mini as something that completely stands alone and, as a reviewer who is not reading Spider-Island, I can attest to this autonomous vibe. This book is just a wacky kung fu mystery, and a **** good one at that.

Shang-Chi is not the most popular nor relevant character in the Marvel stable. A kung fu exploitation character who barely made it into the 80s, many fans state their love and yet still won’t vote with their wallets for a book headlining this master of the deadly arts. Maybe that’s because not all of the books featuring Shang-Chi have been any good. If that’s been holding you back then prepare to invest $2.99 this week because Johnston delivers one of the most enjoyable and believable Shang-Chi depictions ever. The captioned narrative doesn’t try to ape any sort of pulp noir or gritty comics; we are simply given access into Shang-Chi’s mind and the results are fantastic. This voice over catches people up on the basics of this character, it shows his connection to the main premise of the event tale, and then it takes this story forward in leaps and bounds. Shang-Chi finally reads like a real man and shows how he can carry an entire mini on his own back.

The heart of this tale isn’t Spider-Island-centric. It uses that premise to springboard into a darker mystery set within the parameters of New York. The motivations behind the Bride of Nine Spiders and her interaction with Iron Fist aren’t clear, but they make for great action set pieces. Johnston applies plenty of kung fu moves to his script. While it is a method stolen from the Matt Fraction/Ed Brubaker/David Aja run on “The Immortal Iron Fist,” it is very effectively used here. Johnston doesn’t try to go for the snarky cool moves of the previous title and instead delivers some very classically mystical sounding noun groups.

The art team of Sebastian Fiumara and John Lucas are astounding in these pages. There’s a kinetic rawness that feels like it would be more at home within an old “Deadly Hands of Kung Fu” anthology than gracing the pages of a Marvel event tie in, and that’s exactly why this works. The fighting pages are raw enough to hurt and clear enough to marvel at. Coupled with the sublime colors of Dan Brown, each impact of a foot to the face melts off the page with toxic glee. It is delightful to see Marvel experiment with allowing this sort of art in one of their books. It is a complete win to see the art then be such a success on all levels; small panels excel as well as one of the most glorious and powerful fight scene double page spreads in a long time.

For those with a gap in their heart for the great kung fu days of comics, this book is exactly what you need. The fights are worth the price of admission alone, but then Johnston weaves the hint of a story behind it that will have you coming back for more in 30 days. There’s murderous kung fu afoot and Immortal Weapons versus just one man (now with Spider powers) is going to make for one hell of a brawl. The mystical arts are back and they’re being told better than they have been in a long time.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Its on my to do list, but just keep forgetting to do it, LOL !

Been meaning to mention this.

Shang Chi makes a strong 1 issue come-back in the pages of Secret Avengers. Check out issue #18

well written by Warren Ellis
    and beautifully drawn by the amazing David Aja.

It's a self contained story which places Master of Kung Fu Shang-Chi along side the original Captain America and his team of Black Ops Avengers.

Haunted by Deadly Hands...

Shang-Chi Strikes in Marvel's New DEADLY HANDS OF KUNG FU Series
    by Chris Arrant, Newsarama ContributorDate: 11 February 2014 Time: 09:13 AM ET 551 151Reddit59Submit0

Deadly Hands of Kung Fu
    CREDIT: Marvel Comics

Bruce Lee meets Jason Bourne.

In a world of superhuman, supernatural characters and cosmic enemies, one of the most dangerous men in the Marvel Universe is someone without any of those powers. Good thing Shang-Chi’s on our side.

This summer, Marvel will once again unleash Deadly Hands of Kung Fu as a four-issue series centered on the martial arts hero Shang-Chi as he follows a bloody trail of murder and mystery after the death of a former lover who worked for England’s MI-6. Shang-Chi has had a heightened profile in Marvel as of late, being recruited into Avengers in 2013 and fighting on the front lines in the summer event series Infinity. Shang-Chi is the key player in this month’s Avengers World, but in Deadly Hands of Kung Fu he’s going solo to avenge the death of a friend.

Writer Mike Benson is a long-time fan of Shang-Chi, the 1970s Deadly Hands of Kung Fu series and the larger kung fu genre in comics and films, and working on the Master of Kung Fu is something he’s been vying for since writing him in 2009 for the Marvel anthology Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu. After a brief hiatus from comics to focus on his film work like Entourage and several new series for HBO, Benson is back to bring Shang-Chi back into focus and for this four-issue story he’s partnering with Malaysian artist Tan Eng Huat. The 2002 Russ Manning award-winner has spent the past year drawing X-Men Legacy, but this new Deadly Hands of Kung Fu series offers the artist a change to return to his roots in Hong Kong action comics and do the type of series he’s never done before.

Newsarama: What can you tell us about this new Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu miniseries?

Mike Benson: Deadly Hands of Kung Fu is going to be a combination of the old 70’s title, which really was heavy on Bruce Lee, David Carradine and all those great Sunday afternoon Shaw Brother films mixed with a heavy helping of the Bourne films. That’s really the tone more than anything. The story’s jumping off point starts when someone from Shang-Chi’s past which he was close with was murdered. When Shang0Chi learns of her death, he is appropriately devastated and goes to the United Kingdom to pay his last respects. It is here that he gets drawn into a much larger scenario.

Tan Eng Huat: It’s always appealing to see ordinary people overcoming obstacles greater than normal.

Nrama: So who is Shang-Chi up against to get revenge and justice?

Benson: Shang-Chi does not go to the UK for revenge. He goes to pay his respects to someone he had strong feelings toward. However the people who killed this person expect Shang to react exactly in that way and so they actually fuel his fire even further. I wanted to really mix it up. Shang-Chi will go up against a few of his old classic enemies and a few new ones. Again, I’d rather not get too specific but one old baddie who will bare his head is Razor Fist. I wanted to populate Shang-Chi’s world with both smaller and larger characters from his past. We will see the Sons of the Tiger and the Daughters of the Dragon at different points throughout the miniseries with their own agendas.

Nrama: Sounds like it’s an informal reunion of the 1970s Deadly Hands of Kung Fu series and not just Shang-Chi. Can we look for any others from that great pulpy series to rear their head as well?

Benson: Yep, as I stated above, we will see a bunch of them. I collected Deadly Hands of Kung Fu as I did Master of Kung Fu. I’d marvel at the artwork. I always loved reading the mini stories about seemingly regular people who didn’t posses super =powers but just had an incredible skill set. That’s why I loved Bruce Lee films growing up so much. Aside from being the coolest guy to walk the planet, he was just a man who was a highly skilled martial artist but could be killed at any time. I would get the same type of rush from the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu magazine.

Cover to Avengers World #3

Nrama: Shang-Chi has recently been appearing in the main Avengers books, even playing a role in Infinity. How would you describe his role at present in the Marvel universe?

Benson: I’d have to say as the cool, calm, collected kung fu butt kicker with a meditative, thoughtful side. Not too long ago, Ed Brubaker did a bang up job of Shang-Chi in Secret Avengers with an arc called: “Eyes of the Dragon.” I thought he really he really raised the bar.

Nrama: Mike, you’ve been away from comics on a regular basis since Deadpool Pulp ended in 2011. What were you doing in that absence, and what brought you back?

Benson: I’ve been away but I’ve never really been gone. Comics are something I truly love and when I heard about Deadly Hands Of Kung Fu I pitched on it a couple of times and one of my pitches seemed to resonate with my editor Jake Thomas and Editor-In-Chief Axel Alonso and when I heard I got the gig I was super excited. This is a dream job for me.

Nrama: What about you, Tan? What brought you to do this series?

Huat: In my many years of doing all sort of superhero characters and their superpowers, I’ve never come across a character like Shang-Chi. Simply said, I’ve never done anything kung fu related. [laughs] So the chance to do that made me very excited.

Nrama: You live in Malaysia, but I’m sure like Benson you had easy access to kung fu movies. How would you describe your awareness of the genre?

Huat: I grew up reading along of comics from Hong Kong, which are mostly martial arts types comics. And before I worked on American comics I worked as an assistant for a Hong Kong artist named ??Zho Sheng, so hopefully that will help. I love the intense line work and the fluidity of movement, so I will try to apply that into the story and character itself.

Cover to Avengers World #3

Nrama: And its’ not like you haven’t worked with Shang-Chi in the past. Back in 2009 you wrote the excellent short story “Once Upon a Time In Wan Chai” for the one-shot Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu. What’s drawn you to this character not just once but now twice?

Benson: Like many kids I practiced martial arts (Kyokushinkai Karate) for 6 years and watched a ton of martial arts films. I have a lot of respect for anyone who practices any form of martial arts. So what draws me to Shang-Chi is probably some type of wish fulfillment. To be able to carry yourself with that type of inner peace is something I’ve always aspired.

Nrama: That earlier story was very evocative of 1970s kung-fu movie – is that a feel you’re going for here as well?

Benson: The 70’s are a very special time. I was just a kid but looking back, all my favorite films are from that era, both in American and Asian cinema. I love so much from that time period, music, style, dress, so to answer your question there will be for sure a 70’s influence.
    Alas....the 70s...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Preview of DEADLY HANDS #1

Preview pages.
    Name:  DHOKF2014001-DC11-LR-34032.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  99.4 KBName:  DHOKF2014001-int-LR2-1-37b7d.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  108.4 KBName:  DHOKF2014001-int-LR2-2-204fc.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  107.7 KBName:  DHOKF2014001-int-LR2-3-5cbe1.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  107.7 KBName:  DHOKF2014001-int-LR2-4-d6bc1.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  108.3 KB

I'm not very impressed. I think the recent relaunch of IRON FIST (issue #2 is just out) works better, the kung fu art/action/choreography is much more enjoyable.

Why does Shang look like a teenager?

Dropping May 6, 2016

Exclusive: Haden Blackman Jumps into SECRET WARS with MASTER OF KUNG-FU
    by Tony 'G-Man' Guerrero on February 2, 2015
    Prepare to take a trip to a K'un Lun you haven't seen before.

Secret Wars is coming and we're not quite sure what to expect. We have seen the big map Marvel has released and one of the regions is K'un Lun. It turns out it might not be the K'un Lun we're familiar with (an interactive map is HERE).

Marvel will be releasing a mini-series written by Haden Blackman, with art by Dalibor Talajić, focusing on Shang-Chi in the mystical land of K'un Lun. It's a place where everyone trains in the deadly arts. What happens if you don't quite meet the standards put in place?

We had the chance to talk to Blackman about this series. (Check out Francesco Francavilla's cover and Talajić's early concept sketches).

COMIC VINE: How did you become attached to writing MASTER OF KUNG-FU?

HADEN BLACKMAN: After we knew that ELEKTRA would end with Issue 11, editor Sana Amanat asked me if I'd be interested in doing another project at Marvel, and pitched me on a martial arts themed book as part of Secret Wars. I've always loved the notion of the "multiverse," and the ways in which familiar characters can be re-envisioned -- as a kid, I consumed WHAT IF...?; EXILES remains one of my favorite series; and I still go back to reread AVENGERS FOREVER just for the battle at the end that incorporates hundreds of Avengers from multiple times and realities. There was no way I was going to pass up an opportunity to flesh out a new corner of the Marvel universe revolving around martial arts and the supernatural.

CV: What can you tell us about this version of K’un Lun?

HB: Life in K'un-Lun revolves around martial arts, and specifically the many different schools that train the populace, each of which focuses on different techniques. Mastering these techniques provides a wide range of powers and abilities -- from something familiar, like Iron Fist's ability to focus his chi to empower his attacks, to intangibility and even shape-shifting.

CV: Were you given any guidelines or just set loose to write what you wanted?

HB: I was provided with an overview of the Battleworld concept, and asked to avoid using a few specific characters, but in general I've had a great deal of freedom.

CV: Is it easier to write a world you get to make up compared to a version people are already familiar with?

HB: I wouldn't necessarily say "easier," but it does present different challenges. An established universe comes with its own set of rules, characters, and locations that are already known to most readers (and collaborators) so there's a certain short-hand that can be used, and less work required to set everything up. But, it means that, as a writer, you need to stay true to what has come before, which can be particularly challenging when trying to capture a character's voice. MASTER OF KUNG-FU is liberating in some ways because I can use a wide range of characters, many in new and different ways. But, I think it's still very important that I remain true to the core of those characters somehow.

CV: How does Shang-Chi compare to the version we’re familiar with?

HB: In many ways, Shang-Chi will be familiar -- he is the son of a great master, but has a very different moral compass than his father. Accused of murdering a master, Shang-Chi has been exiled from his father's school. In this world, anyone who is not affiliated with a school, who is not training to reach the peak of his or her abilities, is considered an outcast, the lowest caste in society. With nothing left to give him purpose, Shang-Chi has become a vagrant and a drunk.

CV: If everyone in this world knows Kung-Fu, is there always a struggle to make yourself master the arts even more to become better than others?

HB: For most people in K'un-Lun, martial arts is like a religion, something they practice with varying degrees of fervor and dedication. The tenets of a student's school becomes his or her beliefs, guide the student through all aspects of life. Anyone who turns their back on training, or who is deemed unworthy to train for some reason, is a pariah.

For the great masters -- the men and women who run the schools -- mastery of martial arts could lead to great power. K'un-Lun is ruled by an Emperor selected every thirteen years through trial by combat, but only the schools' great masters compete in this tournament, so most spend their entire lives training for the event.

CV: How will superpowers fit into this world? Do those with powers have an advantage over others is mastering the arts?

HB: Mastering the arts is how one gains powers. In this reality, no one is born with powers, or gains them through a scientific experiment gone wrong. That doesn't mean that characters who are classified as mutants or accidents of science in the Earth-616 reality won't be show up in this series; but in our version of K'un-Lun, they have unlocked their special abilities through years of training. And because nearly everyone trains, the result is a whole kingdom full of metahumans.

CV: Will the X-Men play a big role in this series?

HB: The series really revolves around Shang-Chi and a few other well-known martial artists, including Elektra and Iron Fist. However, a number of other characters appear, and several could be considered "X-Men." Growing up, I never missed an issue of THE NEW MUTANTS, so expect to see a few of my favorite characters in the mix...

CV: Will Emperor Zu be the big bad guy here?

HB: Zheng Zu, Shang-Chi's father, doesn't see himself as a villain. He believes he is a just and decisive Emperor who has K'un-Lun's best interests in mind. Shang-Chi doesn't agree...

CV: How are your Kung-Fu skills? Did you find yourself doing more as you started mapping out the series?

HB: Terrible! My fighting skills are limited to video games. But I've been consuming martial arts movies since I was a teenager, so I'm mining some of my favorites for inspiration. And fortunately, Dalibor Talajic -- the artist on the series -- is a real student of martial arts, so I plan to rely heavily on him for ideas on the fight scenes.

MASTER OF KUNG-FU is on sale May 6, 2016.
    "With nothing left to give him purpose, Shang-Chi has become a vagrant and a drunk.
" Ain't that the fate of so many Kung Fu masters?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

An update

BLACKMAN TRAINS WITH A "MASTER OF KUNG FU" TO BATTLE "SECRET WARS"
    Posted: 18 hours ago

Dave Richards, Staff Writer13

Some of the most intimidating Marvel Comics heroes don't need super powers to fight crime. Heroes like Shang-Chi, Iron Fist and Elektra have mastered their chosen forms of martial arts, achieving a level of perfect that they've unlocked techniques that endow them with seemingly super human abilities and become more than a match for many an evildoer.

This May, as the Marvel Universe becomes Battleworld as a result of "Secret Wars," these heroes will become embroiled in an entire world of martial arts-based incarnations of established Marvel characters. Who they fight alongside and against will be just one part of writer Haden Blackman and artist Dalibor Talajic's four-issue "Secret Wars" miniseries "Master of Kung-Fu," which takes readers to the Battleworld dominion of K'un Lun where rival kung fu schools clash and Shang-Chi is an outcast wanted for murder.

CBR News spoke with Blackman about Shang-Chi's journey across the series, the villainy of his father who serves as Emperor of K'un Lun, and the many martial arts incarnations of Marvel characters that play roles in the book.

CBR News: Haden, you're known for your work on "Elektra" and "Batwoman," two characters who are expert hand-to-hand combatants and whose fathers have loomed large in their lives for various reasons. With "Master of Kung Fu" you're telling a story focusing on another martial artist whose father played a large role in his life, Shang-Chi. Is this a coincidence or is there something you find especially intriguing about these types of characters?

Haden Blackman: Just luck, really. I definitely see some similarities -- all three have almost superhuman determination, which manifests in their ability to train relentlessly. But, beyond that, I think they are very different. Batwoman is motivated by a desire to serve. Elektra (at least in my run) is trying to find out who she really is, what lines she won't cross. And Shang-Chi is trying to prove himself to a father who will never accept him because their moral codes are so different.

Haden Blackman moves from "Elektra" to "Master of Kung Fu" during "Secret Wars"
    Cover by Francesco Francavilla; EXCLUSIVE character designs by Dalibor Talajic

Shang-Chi's story in "Master of Kung-Fu" takes readers to "Secret Wars'" Battleworld, specifically the Dominion of K'un Lun. I know one of the ways this K'un Lun differs from the Marvel Universe one is there are a variety of martial arts schools that often endow their students with seemingly super human powers, but what else can you tell us about it? Do these schools all get along? Are some more powerful in society than others? And what kind of role does technology play in this world?

The schools' relationships vary. Some are bitter rivals, others are allies. The schools also have a pecking order. The most powerful and popular is the Ten Rings, whose Great Master is also the Emperor. Shang-Chi is also a student of the Ten Rings, though he has turned his back on the school's teachings. The Iron Fist school is highly-respected, while the Red Hand is feared; but both are allied with the Emperor and join in his hunt for Shang-Chi. Beyond that, there are a number of other schools, from the Panther Clan to the House of the Jade Tiger and the Spider Cult. The schools are so important that anyone who has not trained or has been drummed out of a school for whatever reason is considered a pariah; this is the Lowest Caste of society. Since this really is a supernatural martial arts epic, technology is limited, but the residents of K'un Lun don't need it...

We know when your story begins the Shang-Chi has become a societal outcast because he was accused of murdering a martial arts master. Exactly how far has he fallen? Who is already after him, and what is he thinking about the situation when "Master of Kung Fu" begins?

When the story opens, it's been a few years since Shang-Chi was tossed out of the Ten Rings and vanished into the slums of K'un Lun, where he has been trying to forget his past with the help of the bottle. No one expected him to ever resurface, but he's still a wanted killer; when he is recognized by students of the Ten Rings, the Emperor vows to hunt him down with the help of the Red Hand and the Iron Fist.

Is "Master of Kung-Fu" a redemption tale?

Shang-Chi claims that he wants to forget his past and turn his back on his father and his past completely. But, he hasn't left K'un Lun for a reason -- some part of him will always be seeking his father's approval, even if he won't admit it. The question is: Will he become his father in order to prove himself?

Let's move into supporting roles. Shang-Chi's father Zheng Zu is of course a prominent figure in "Master of Kung Fu," but instead of a criminal mastermind he's the Emperor of K'un Lun, correct? What can you tell us about Zheng Zu's rule when the series begins? Is he a tyrannical figure or beloved by his people?

Series artist Dalibor Talajic, a practicing martial artist, created these pages for Marvel to secure the gig

Zheng Zu is indeed the emperor of K'un Lun, a position he earned (and has defended multiple times) through a ritualized trial by combat. In the first issue, Shang-Chi reveals that whether Zheng Zu is a benevolent ruler or a despot really depends on who you are -- Zu has ushered in a golden age of prosperity, but the Ten Rings training is brutal and unforgiving. Most importantly, Zu's followers perpetuate the belief that the untrained should be eliminated.

What kind of roles will some of the other martial artists of K'un Lun play in "Master of Kung Fu?" Will Shang Chi have allies? Does the series eventually become an ensemble book or is pretty much Shang's story from start to finish?

There's a pretty large cast. Shang-Chi is definitely front and center, but he'll find a few very important allies and face off against former rivals and friends alike. I'm basically trying to integrate as many of my favorite characters as possible...

The preview art I've seen suggests we'll see new versions of Elektra and Iron Fist, but also a number of X-Men characters as well. Is this series in a sense "What If the Shaw Brothers Designed the Marvel Universe?" Which corners of the Marvel U are you mining for supporting characters and antagonists in this series?

All corners! I started with the Marvel Universe's most well-known martial artists, a list that (in my mind) always includes Kitty Pryde. Since K'un Lun society revolves around a number of different schools, I've been able to incorporate nearly any of these fighters -- there will be versions of Black Panther, Taskmaster, Typhoid Mary and others. But, there will also be some surprises...

You're designing the cast of "Master of Kung-Fu" with artist Dalibor Talajic, who I understand is a real martial arts practitioner. How much fun are you guys having designing these characters and this world? What's it like seeing Dalibor bring these characters to life?

Blackman is enjoying Talajic's inventive panel layouts and designs

It's been a blast. I love world building, and we're hopefully creating a setting that can support an endless number of stories. We're really trying to push the richness of the kingdom, from the architecture to its history and traditions to its people. Dalibor has been doing an incredible job with all of that, and perhaps most importantly, with the characters themselves -- there's over a dozen in the first issue alone, and each is fantastically "familiar but new" -- a unique take on an existing character. Dalibor is also very inventive when it comes to the panel layouts and designs, which I think is really important to create the sense of place and history.

Finally, if fans take to "Master of Kung Fu" would you be interested in telling more adventures with Shang-Chi following "Secret Wars" and have you already begun thinking about them?

Absolutely. I think that K'un Lun itself lends itself to more stories, and I'd be keen to explore more of the schools, the characters, and some of the areas of the kingdom we only reference. And while Shang-Chi has a definite arc in this series, his journey is by no means complete -- if anything, the series ends with him poised for even more adventures and challenges.

I just want to thank all the fans of our run on "Elektra." Without their support and all the nice things they've said about that series, I might not have been given the opportunity to work on "Master of Kung-Fu." As with "Elektra," I'm treating every issue of this series as an audition for the next issue.

"Master of Kung Fu" character designs by Talajic
    "Master of Kung Fu" #1 conquers Battleworld this May at Marvel Comics.
    Emperor of K'un Lun
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

"Outcast wanted for murder"....shades of Kwai Chang caine?
    I actually can't remember the deets from the comic about that. I loved it, but that's been years back.
    The new look is a little....I like old Shang better.
    Got to check out the movie regardless and spin offs at least once.
    I guess lost, goofy white people should hold a feminist protest on behalf of chinese people who probably think it's cool too. Ahaha! Doubt the sisterhood and it's eunuchs will be able to ruin it for everybody, that was a popular comic.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu