Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SHANG-CHI "MASTER of KUNG FU"

Another preview

Visit Mysterious K’un-Lun in Marvel’s ‘Master of Kung Fu’ [Preview]
    by Andrew Wheeler April 6, 2015 1:00 PM

Among the myriad worlds unveiled in Marvel’s Secret Wars this summer is one inspired by Tibetan mysticism, Chinese mythology, and Marvel’s very own mysterious fictional enclave of martial artist, K’un-Lun. Master of Kung-Fu by Haden Blackman and Dalibor Talajic offers a Shaw Brothers spin on the Marvel Universe, centered on Shang-Chi‘s fight with his evil wizard father, and introducing new versions of Kitty Pryde, Elektra, Iron Fist, and more.

Marvel has provided us with an exclusive unlettered four-page preview, which you can check out below. The preview offers a beautiful preview of the history of the battles that defined K’un-Lun, and introduces us to Shang-Chi at what looks like a pretty low ebb. To get a taste of the rest of the cast, check out the previously released character sketches for the series in the gallery above. Based on everything we’ve seen, it looks like a treat for the eyes; hopefully the fight scenes will be just as impressive!

I once practiced a Kun Lun sword form...I just mention that here to fulfill the character minimum...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Four Omnibuses

Master Of Kung Fu To Get Four Omnibuses, Beginning In 2016
    Posted September 25, 2015 by Rich Johnston

Yesterday, at the Baltimore Diamond Retailer Summit, Marvel Comics committed to publishing the entirety of the Master Of Kung Fu in a series of four Omnibuses.

The series was created after Marvel failed to get the rights to the Kung Fu TV show, but did get the rights to the character Fu Manchu. So Marvel creates a comic book starring his son, Shang-Chi.

The series began in 1974 with issue 15 of Special Marvel Edition magazine by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin before it was renamed to The Hands of Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu, gained massive popularity and ran until issue 125 in 1983.

And now it’s coming back to your bookshelf.
    Cool. Maybe I can read it all now...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'll buy them. I have all the issues form back in the day, but they're in storage with all my other old comics. Hope they include the colors. The first couple years had good stories and art.

Another hard to find series from the 70s I'd like to see reprinted in volume(s) is Werewolf by Night. It didn't last long, but was mostly quite good.

I wonder if Marvel will ever make this a movie ?

I skimmed the threads and it seems bit of discussion as it being a film.

This is a bit old now. Maybe one day.
    http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/09/...xternal,manual

They may have a script- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366547/

If only Donnie yen was younger...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

How about Philip Ng? IMO, he could make a good Shang Chi. He has plenty of experience in MA films, is likable onscreen, and his MA skills are more than up to the task. However, considering it's going to be a Hollywood film, they'd probably cast Taylor Lautner or another non-Asian to pass as Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    How about Philip Ng? IMO, he could make a good Shang Chi. He has plenty of experience in MA films, is likable onscreen, and his MA skills are more than up to the task. However, considering it's going to be a Hollywood film, they'd probably cast Taylor Lautner or another non-Asian to pass as Asian.
    I certainly hope not, there are many very good asian actors around.
    Depending on the age they will go with, they can go with Philip Ng, or Rain ( from Ninja assassin) or Lee Byung-Han or some of these guys:
    http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070413780/

Ian Anthony dale, Sung Kang, I mean there are quite a few.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I certainly hope not, there are many very good asian actors around.
    Depending on the age they will go with, they can go with Philip Ng, or Rain ( from Ninja assassin) or Lee Byung-Han or some of these guys:
    http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070413780/

Ian Anthony dale, Sung Kang, I mean there are quite a few.
    There are actually a lot of very good Asian male actors, not only overseas but here, too. I even knew a couple of other Asian guys who could really act. But it's extremely hard to be cast in decent roles, much less as the lead in a major Hollywood film. When I was into acting, I would hear time and again, from casting directors, agents, professional headshot photographers, and even other actors, that right now, the most highly sought-after commodity in Hollywood is Asian male actors, from young to middle age. But actually getting cast in anything is far more difficult than for actors in any other ethnic category. The only Asian males who get lots of work in Hollywood are those of Indian descent. Asian females are cast at a much higher rate, and there are many more roles available for them, so they're in a different category.

A number of Asian-American actors who have some cultural connection to their roots have relocated to Asian countries such as S. Korea, China/Hong Kong, Taiwan, the Philippines, Vietnam, even Japan (Kane Kosugi), etc., to pursue their acting careers.

I hope that if they do make a Shang Chi movie, they do the right thing and cast a truly deserving actor, not someone to 'pass' because they're more famous here, or seen as less of a risk.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-28-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Greetings,

I think the Shang Chi character has a level of complexity that cannot be conveyed with the casting of one actor.

For the mature Shang Chi, I would have to go with either Lo De Hua or Robin Shou

For a late adolescent early '20's Shang Chi, I would go with Wu Jing.

I think the flashback stuff used in the TV series "Kung Fu" would work incredibly well; come to think of it, ?Shang Chi: Master of Kung Fu" would work incredible well as a TV series. I think we have a strong bench of Asian actors who can handle choreography better than those on Hong Kong. If the flashback thing was used, Donnie Yen would not be too old for the part.

mickey

Yeah, I sometimes forgot how old Donnie is getting. I just saw him in a Highlander movie the other day. It may have been his first Hollywood film ?

Greetings,

Billy, I never saw the Highlander films as a Hollywood film given its filming location and its star lineup. I checked out the imdb and it seems that the Hollywood companies were only involved in distribution. That might have been a good thing for Donnie Yen.

mickey

Donnie's first "Hollywood" film was either the Highlander film, or Blade II. Either way, Donnie's been in starring in movies since 1984, so he's old-school, albeit he came at the very end of Kung fu cinema's golden era. It's amazing that he didn't seem to hit megastardom until the first Ip Man movie (or possibly Sha Po Lang). Gotta admit, though, for a 52 year old, Donnie's aged more gracefully to this point than any other KF or action star before him, back problems and all. Maybe having not achieved megastardom until later in his career preserved him a bit?

As for Shang Chi, I don't see why one actor couldn't portray even a complex character. I highly doubt that a Shang Chi movie would be done in flashback from the perspective of an old Shang Chi. But IMO, if an actor is a good character actor, he should be able to portray Shang Chi at any adult age.

Shang Chi in Deadpool 2?

I totally support this.

Shang-Chi: Master Of Kung Fu Is The Perfect Story For 'Deadpool 2' (With Bonus Hitler Kills)
    By Jack Carr ⋅ Posted on February 24th, 2016 at 11:26pm

Deadpool may have killed the Marvel universe, but there's one man who's yet to die at his sword, and his name is Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu.

It doesn't take a genius to work out where Shang-chi's talents lie, and a prior hook-up with Deadpool (not that kind of hook-up) makes him a great candidate for a supporting role in Deadpool 2.

If you're not a religious reader of Marvel's one-shot comics, you may have missed Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu #1. The 48-page issue from 2009 is entirely black and white, and includes four vignette stories, the first of which features our friendly neighborhood Deadpool.

For the uninitiated, Shang-Chi is the Marvel martial artist who isn't Iron Fist. He has no superpowers whatsoever, but does sport an incredible response time that allows him to dodge bullets, while being the world's greatest living practitioner of kung fu. He's just a little bit awesome.

In the first of the four vignettes, Deadpool and Shang-chi are competing together in a cross-country motorcycle death race. Among their competitors are the Hitler Twins, who are exactly what they sound like...

The whole vignette is illustrated in black and white, in a style that reminds me of Sin City and the flashbacks in Kill Bill. Obviously I'm not suggesting there's enough material in this wacky drag race to sustain a whole movie, but as an intro or pre-credits sequence with no bearing on the main plot of the film, I would die for a Deadpool and Shang-Chi team-up.

The film's R-rating would also allow a lot of blood to be spilled in classic, pulpy martial arts style. Of course, it would be even more epic if Blade made a cameo (as played by Wesley Snipes — anyone else can suck it), but Marvel is clutching onto his rights like a newborn baby in his mother's bosom. Allow me to dream.

To summarize: If you want to see Deadpool kill Hitler, not once but twice, you should campaign with me for the Master of Kung Fu to get his Deadpool 2 on.

In case you've spent the last two weeks getting tortured by Ajax without wifi, Deadpool 2 is already confirmed to feature Cable. Unfortunately, he won't be played by Keira Knightley, but whatever. The movie is being directed again by Tim Miller and should release sometime in 2018.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Happening on Netflix?

EXCLUSIVE: SHANG-CHI JOINING MARVEL'S IRON FIST
    MARCH 04, 2016 CHRIS NELSON

After a tumultuous response to the casting of Finn Jones as Danny Rand in the upcoming Iron Fist series, Marvel could really use a new notch in their diversity belt. Luckily, MCUExchange and That Hashtag Show can independently confirm that Marvel and Netflix are in the midst of casting Shang-Chi for Iron Fist - which we're told is set to begin production in April.

Additionally, in case anyone had concerns, they are exclusively auditioning males of Asian descent. You can watch That Hashtag Show's Report below.

So, just who is Shang-Chi? Our own Jeremiah Peace summed him up pretty well in his own One-Shot last week(which also included some cool fan casting ideas):

The son of 70's pulp Kung Fu villain Fu Manchu, a character to whom Marvel acquired the rights, Shang-Chi has worked with British Intelligence as an agent of MI-6 and alongside Luke Cage and Danny Rand as a hero for hire. More recently he has been an Avenger and, interestingly enough, a significant part of the Shadowland arc that many people are anticipating will be adapted to the Netflix series.
    Additionally, That Hashtag Show is told that if the reception is positive, there is a possibility that he could be getting his own Netflix series.
    What are your thoughts on his inclusion in the show? Who would you like to see play the role? Sound off in the comments below. And as always, for all things Iron Fist be sure to follow along here.
    Didn't copy their Iron Fist link, but I'll copy ours here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips