Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SHANG-CHI "MASTER of KUNG FU"

What this film needs...

...a white lead?

#Marvel
    What A Shang-Chi Movie Could Learn From 'Mad Max: Fury Road'
    October 10, 2016 at 01:06PM

Posted by Steven Brinn @DouchebagBatman
    Covering action movies, horror and assorted other wackiness.

Between Marvel Studios, the Fox-licensed properties, and DC Films, it can feel like there are too many comic book movies in theaters. It is easy to forget that this wasn’t the case just a few years ago. In fact, before the comic movie boom, Marvel had a hard time getting anything off the ground. The stories of James Cameron's Spider-Man and Roger Corman's Fantastic Four are the stuff of legend at this point. One of the ideas to languish in development hell the longest has been Hands of Kung Fu, Shang-Chi.

First announced in 2001, it was to be directed by Blade director Stephen Norrington. Despite high hopes, the project wouldn't get past pre-production. There wouldn't be rumblings about the movie until 2005, when Marvel made a deal with Paramount Pictures to work on several films. Not only did they announce the movie, but that a dream team of Hulk's Ang Lee and Fist of Legend director Yuen Woo-Ping were working on the film. Even with these two legends of Chinese action behind the scenes the project never got off the ground.

As unlikely as it may seem, there is still hope for the film. Plenty of films have made it out of film purgatory over the years, such as Deadpool, Watchmen and Freddy vs Jason. One of the most successful — both financially and critically — was the Academy Award-winning Mad Max: Fury Road. In fact, there is quite a bit that Marvel could learn from it if they want to make a Shang-Chi movie.

Who Is Shang-Chi Exactly?

Conceived in late 1972, Shang-Chi was originally pitched as a comic based on the TV show Kung Fu. When Time Warner denied Marvel the use of their show they created their own character, Shang-Chi. Making his debut in 1973's Special Marvel Edition #15, the secret son of Yellow Peril villain Fu Manchu (later renamed Zheng Zu) would turn on his father and try to take down his criminal empire.

Debuting around the time Bruce Lee exploded in the United States, Shang-Chi would become so popular that the character would get his own series lasting more than 100 issues. Since then he has become a bit of a cult favorite, teaming up with the likes of Spider-Man, Wolverine and even became an honorary Avenger.

With such a great history it is easy to see why a movie based on "the Master of Kung Fu" is always considered. While seemingly the opposite of Mad Max: Fury Road, there is a lot Marvel can learn from the Australian blockbuster if they wish to do a Shang-Chi movie right.

You Need The Right Creative Team

Re-acquiring the rights to Mad Max in 1995, it would take director George Miller nearly 20 years to complete the film. From natural disaster to actors blacklisting themselves, Miller would encounter every road block imaginable. It was seemingly the ultimate case of everything that could go wrong would go wrong. Despite these pitfalls, Miller was devoted to the film and it shows in the final product. This is the kind of dedication a cult comic character like Shang-Chi needs to succeed in the big screen.

Without a doubt, Ang Lee and Yuen Woo-Ping is an amazing team to have for any martial arts movie. However, with their careers so busy could they dedicate the time needed for a Marvel film? Would they try to tamper too much with the character like the early Marvel movies? As obvious as it may sound, a dedicated crew is a big factor when it comes to making a killer movie. It is easy to tell which directors truly enjoy the comics and which are there for a paycheck.

Be More Than An Origin Story

Going into the movie, Fury Road looked like a typical action reboot. It was just another take on the post-apocalypse wasteland. Nobody could have predicted that a movie where someone played a guitar that shot fire would be a surprisingly effective film about the importance of family, home and feminism; a film that would appeal to both the casual audience and film academics.

Similarly, martial arts movies have a history of telling deeper stories through the fighting. From the strong female characters in films like Come Drink With Me and 14 Amazons to the anti-Imperialism thread that runs through the Ip Man series, the best kung fu movies have always been more than just a collection of fight scenes. In fact, a predominantly Asian cast would be a huge statement by itself. Racial politics in film are more important than ever before and building a franchise around an Asian-American would be a massive leap forward for equality in Hollywood. It would certainly go far in dispelling the notion that there is a lack of diversity in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It may even prove to executives that Eastern voices are worth investing in. In a world where superhero movies can easily become formulaic, a Shang-Chi movie has the unique opportunity to say things no superhero movies can.

Good Action Scenes Are Key

Above all else, what made Mad Max: Fury Road a hit with audiences was the stellar action. In true Ozploitation fashion, it uses the vast Australian landscape to its advantage, staging elaborate and exhilarating chase scenes; each scene building on one another before rolling into one of the most chaotic chase scenes in film history. Beautifully shot, Fury Road also did a brilliant job blending practical effects and CGI. As crazy as it sounds, Shang-Chi has the potential to not only be as good as Fury Road, but maybe even top it.

Although martial arts movies are always popular for the past few years, we have seen a renaissance of sorts within the genre. From the traditional martial arts featured in Kung Fu Jungle to the bone-crunching battles of The Raid, fight choreography is better than it has ever been. A Shang-Chi movie is the perfect place to showcase any number of talented fight choreographers from all over the world. With the character requiring few, if any, special effects and a focus on martial arts, a Shang-Chi movie has the potential to be one of the best and most unique US action movies in years.

Rise Of The Legend

Even though a movie seems unlikely at this point, there is still hope for the Master of Kung Fu. There have been rumors of Shang-Chi making an appearance in the Iron Fist Netflix series. I’ve even read that it could be a backdoor pilot for Shang-Chi to have his own Netflix series. As cool as that is, a Hands of Kung Fu: Shang-Chi as a full-fledged movie may be Marvel's greatest cinematic "What if."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

This would make an ideal NetFlix series and an almost all-Asian cast would be excellent.
    Personally, I would love for them to follow the original origins story somehow.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I can't fully agree with that article about fight choreography being better than it has ever been. There has been some great choreography in recent years, but there was so much more great choreography back in the day. I guess it depends on what you consider 'better' choreography. There is camparatively little coming out today than in decades past, so what does stand out, stands out far more. IMO, most people who say that today's MA movies are the best ever are mostly millennials whose only exposure to old-school MA movies were the Bruce Lee movies, Jackie Chan's Brett Ratner-directed movies, Jet Li's later fantasy-themed movies, CTHD, and possibly limited exposure to bits of pre-1974 'basher-style' Hong Kong movies. Okay, Brett Ratner's JC movies, Jet's later fantasy films and CTHD are not old school, but to many millennials they would be considered as such.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-11-2016 at 08:07 AM.

I saw an article somewhere mentioning Netflix wanting to tap the creators of The Raid for a Shang Chi mini-series.

Master of Kung Fu Legacy

SHANG-CHI "MASTER of KUNG FU" by CM Punk

EXCLUSIVE: MEET THE CREATIVE TEAM BEHIND THE NEW MASTER OF KUNG FU MARVEL LEGACY TITLE
    Contributed by Mike Avila
    @MikeAvila
    a day ago

The most skilled martial artist in the Marvel Universe, Shang Chi, is back headlining his own comic.

SYFY WIRE is happy to give you the FIRST LOOK at the cover to the brand new Master of Kung Fu one-shot, drawn by all-star artist Mike Mayhew.

You'll notice the issue number is #126. The original Bronze Age MOKF series ended its run with issue #125, and since the Marvel Legacy initiative is all about connecting the publisher's past with its present and future, the numbering will fall in line with the earlier series. The one-shot hits comics shops in November.

That's not the only news we have to break here regarding Legacy. We can also reveal the creative team behind Shang-Chi's star turn. WWE legend CM Punk will be scripting the book, alongside artist Dalibor Talajic. The former wrestling champ, whose real name is Phillip Jack Brooks, is no stranger to comics. He wrote the Drax ongoing series for Marvel, which lasted for 11 issues. The Croatian-born Talajic has penciled all manner of Marvel books, including the Secret Wars: Master of Kung Fu ancillary series. He's particularly jazzed to tackle Shang-Chi on an ongoing basis. Talajic is hard at work right now on the book, but he was kind enought to let us hit him up for three quick questions.

MOKF is an iconic title for Bronze Age Marvel fans. Were you both familiar with Shang-Chi and his earlier series before you got the gig? How did you get the assignment, exactly?

Dalibor Talajic: I grew up on Shang Chi! I am a huge fan of Bruce Lee, so naturally I adore Shang Chi as well. I love both Gulacy and Zeck stuff. Gulacy treated Shang Cji like a noir book, while Zeck made it very impressive in fight scenes. I had my dream come true some two years ago when I did the Master of Kung Fu mini with Haden Blackman. The editor on this project, Kathleen Wisnecky, knows me from that time, so I hope she was pleased with what we did back then and she called me back.

Is he going to be wearing the classic red jumpsuit?

I don't know yet, depends on the story I guess. But intimately, I hope he wears his classic kimono suit. A bit modified -- the '70s are gone -- but yeah ... I'd go for kimono anytime. But we'll see ...

Can we expect some crazy fight scenes depicted in your artwork? Safe to assume this will be an action-packed comic?

Well ... I myself was a kung fu practitioner. So if there are going to be fight scenes, you can expect them to be quite grounded in something that's persuasive, not just random kicks. If you browse through the books I did so far, I always try to make my action scenes fluid and forceful. Over the top sometimes, yes, but fluid. And since it's Shang Chi we're talking about ... He IS the greatest fighter there is -- so yes, you can expect some seriously spectacular stuff.

**Editor's Note: This story has been clarified to note that MOKF is a One-Shot comic, not an ongoing series**

Here is the full solicit for Master of Kung Fu #126:

The Marvel Universe is full of fighters: brawlers, scrappers, weapons experts, mystical kung fu virtuosi. But there’s only one martial artist skilled enough to be called the greatest. SHANG-CHI has been a pinch hitter for a long time, stepping in for Avengers missions when no one else would do, but when no one can match your speed or skill, sometimes it’s best to work alone. To see what you’ve been missing if you don’t know Shang-Chi, don’t miss MASTER OF KUNG FU!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Little know fact:
    When Doug Moench ( Sp?) took over from Mike Zeck, lots of the moves were from a magazine called "Martial arts movies" from the 80's.
    You could actually see the very same moves form some of the pics being done by Shang-chi.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Master of kung fu #126

Maybe CM Punk has found his niche?

SHANG-CHI UNLEASHED: A MASTER OF KUNG FU SKETCHBOOK
    Published Oct 24, 2017 By Tj Dietsch

Dalibor Talajić and CM Punk give the martial arts hero a wild day off!

Even a true leader in his field needs a break. Of course, when someone throws on the sweats and hopes to relax, any number of problems can come up. For you and I, thought might mean a plumbing issue or noisy neighbors—but we’re not Shang-Chi!

With MASTER OF KUNG FU #126, writer CM Punk and artist Dalibor Talajić take Shang-Chi from lounger to fighter in one issue. For his part, Talajić drew on previous incarnations of the ferocious fighting hero to help give this more out-there tale a firm base.

We talked with the artist about balancing the wild tone of the story with more grounded art, working with Punk, and taking inspiration from artists like Paul Gulacy and Mike Zeck.

Marvel.com: In the wake of his initial series, Shang-Chi’s been a guest star and team player for the most part. Why do you think it’s important to showcase him in his own book like this?

Dalibor Talajić: Well, times do change. His initial series was during the “Enter The Dragon” Bruce Lee era. And even though Bruce Lee is still considered the king of the martial arts realm, his time did pass. I guess Shang had to redefine himself and find his place under the sun anew.

His own book was also a team book, so naturally various comic book teams wanted to place him within a [group]. So, yes I do believe it is important to give him a chance to breathe on his own—so to speak—even in a story like this, where circumstances are almost ridiculous, one might say to see him on his off side.

Marvel.com: Shang’s always been tough, but in the last few years he’s proven himself on a larger scale by working with the Avengers. Has that changed how he handles himself at all?

Dalibor Talajić: Well, I guess his self-confidence in what he does better than anyone is what places him among the heavy hitters. True, he has no special powers, but his focus, his stamina, and [his] philosophical depth make him a genuine super human.

Yet his philosophical depth is what keeps him constantly questioning both his actions and himself, and thus keeps him down to earth. He won’t allow himself any arrogance. But all these features combined open the doors for his endless growth as a character. This is something that reflects our own lives: the possibility of growth that only needs to be noticed by us. This is why I love this character; he is closest to us, to the best in us.

Marvel.com: What was it like figuring out his look for this series?

Dalibor Talajić: Well, given the nature of the story, I imagined him in his sweatshirt and stuff. You know Sunday afternoon stuff that you wear while watching TV and having a nap. The circumstances take him off guard and he stays dressed like that all the way through. He even loses his sneakers at some point. Here and there, through flashbacks, I would nod to Bruce Lee’s famous yellow jump suit. Or the fact that he ends up topless. But the idea was the everyday Joe looks. As I’ve said—one of us.

Marvel.com: Overall, how’s it been working with CM Punk on this project?

Dalibor Talajić: Well, fun! CM writes very funny dialogue. But the story is a slippery slope. In it’s essence it’s so pulpy that it’s close to ridiculous so I had to be very careful to keep it balanced. If I was leaning to a stronger stylization, as the story might trick you into, it would end up like a flat out crazy cartoon. Instead, I went for “realism” so that ridiculous part would serve as a crazy Bond-like villain comedy.

Marvel.com: How has it been digging into Shang-Chi’s history with this story? Are you looking back at a lot of his other comics for reference or possibly other mediums?

Dalibor Talajić: That was a difficult task. Because initially Shang-Chi is a serious character. So was the art depicting it. [Paul] Gulacy was treating him with an almost noir atmosphere, while I don’t think is possible to make him more badass than [Mike] Zeck did. Even I treated him seriously a few years back in [the] MASTER OF KUNG FU [limited] series. There, I wanted to mimic classic flashy Hong Kong action films.

So I guess I tried to combine all of that a bit and hopefully blend it into something that honors all those beautiful incarnations of the character that were already there long before me. I can only hope I did Shang-Chi justice.

CM Punk and Dalibor Talajić give Shang-Chi a less-than-relaxing day off in MASTER OF KUNG FU #126 on November 8!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shang-Chi movie in the works!

This will need its own thread when a title is announced. For now, I'm just posting this on SHANG-CHI "MASTER of KUNG FU" & Which actors would do justice to Shang Chi in a movie?

DECEMBER 03, 2018 10:04am PT by Mia Galuppo , Graeme McMillan
    Marvel Developing Shang-Chi Movie with 'Wonder Woman 1984' Writer

Matt Winkelmeyer/Getty Images
    Dave Callaham

Dave Callaham is penning the film, which would be the studio's first to focus on a superhero of Asian descent.

Marvel Studios is developing a new feature that will center on hero Shang-Chi in a project that would act as the superhero studio's first stand-alone movie with an Asian lead.

Dave Callaham will pen the screenplay, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. A director is not yet attached.

Shang-Chi — or, as Marvel refers to him, the Master of Kung Fu — debuted in 1973’s Special Marvel Edition No. 15, created by Steve Englehart and Thanos creator Jim Starlin after an attempt to acquire the comic book rights to the television series Kung Fu fell through. The son of infamous pulp villain Fu Manchu, Shang-Chi was trained as a martial artist assassin by his father, only to rebel against him and become a superhero instead. The character was a massive success through the 1970s, and was recently revived as a member of the Avengers during 2012’s Marvel Now! Publishing event.

Callaham is no stranger to the superhero genre, having helped to pen Warner Bros. and DC's upcoming Wonder Woman sequel, Wonder Woman 1984. His credits also include The Expendables franchise and Sony's upcoming Zombieland 2. He is repped by UTA and Kaplan Perrone.

The Shang-Chi news comes as Hollywood is embracing projects with Asian leads following the success of Warner Bros.' Crazy Rich Asians, which pulled in more than $236 million at the global box office. Warners’ film arm New Line has picked up China-set romantic comedy Singles Day, based on a spec by Lillian Yu. Last week it was announced that Crazy Rich star Awkwafina created and will star in a Comedy Central series based on her own life.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Next BP?

Like I said on the Black Panther thread "Because all minorities are the same?" Why does Shang-Chi gotta be in the Wakanda wake? Why can't it just be the first in a new franchise?

DECEMBER 04, 2018 11:33am PT by Richard Newby
    How 'Shang-Chi' Could Be Marvel's Next 'Black Panther'

Bryanston Distributing/Photofest; Courtesy of Marvel
    Marvel's Shang-Chi (right) was modeled after Bruce Lee.

The studio is focusing on increased representation as its mysterious post-'Avengers 4' plans come into focus.
    Even though we may still be waiting on the title and first footage for Avengers 4, Marvel Studios’ plans for its future are becoming increasingly clear. Phase 4, or whatever this next iteration of the Marvel Cinematic Universe ends up being called, is shaping up to run quite the gamut of characters, locations, and time periods with Black Widow and The Eternals set for their own films, while sequels featuring characters Spider-Man and Black Panther are also in development. Monday, an unexpected but welcome addition was added to the roster: Shang-Chi, the oft-labeled Master of Kung-Fu.

Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige has discussed his desire for increased representation in Marvel’s films going forward, not just in front of the camera but behind it as well. With Anna Boden co-directing Captain Marvel alongside partner Ryan Fleck, Chloe Zhao taking on The Eternals, Cate Shortland delving into Black Widow’s past, and Ryan Coogler returning to direct the sequel to Black Panther, the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is shaping up to be a space for voices and visions the industry desperately needs more of. Coupled with the Peter Ramsey co-directed, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse at Sony, James Wan’s Aquaman and Cathy Yan’s upcoming Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) at Warner Bros., it’s clear that the future of superhero movies will no longer be dominated by white male voices. This doesn’t just mean new opportunities for filmmakers, but new stories that can change how we perceive the ever-popular mythology of superheroes.

Photofest
    Michael B. Jordan in Black Panther.

The news broke Monday that the character Shang-Chi is on the fast-track for a film with Chinese-American screenwriter Dave Callaham (Wonder Woman 1984, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2 ) on script duties. While Shang-Chi might be largely unknown, even amongst comic readers, the character is primed to break out in a way similar to Black Panther earlier this year. Marvel is searching for Asian and Asian-American filmmakers to helm the feature in the effort to make sure the film offers a perspective on Asian identity, something Hollywood is coming to realize the importance of and desire for, following this summer’s breakout hit Crazy Rich Asians. Despite his lack of recognition, Shang-Chi has been a key player in Marvel Comics with a rich, though often trope-defined history, that is ready to receive a new perspective just as illuminating and unique as any to come out of Wakanda.

Created by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin, Shang-Chi first debuted in Special Marvel Edition No. 15 in 1973. His existence actually came about because Marvel Comics couldn’t get their hands on another popular property: the Warner Bros.-owned television show Kung Fu starring David Carradine. Ultimately, this ended up for the better as Marvel was able to create an original Chinese character, rather than utilizing a white dude playing at being Asian. Shang-Chi proved to be popular, largely because of the increased distribution of kung fu movies in American cinemas. Modeled after Bruce Lee, Shang-Chi became an unofficial means to continue the legacy of the martial arts icon. In 1974, Special Marvel Edition changed its name to The Hands of Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu to capitalize on the increased appeal of the character. While Shang-Chi’s reign was short, and his series ended in 1983, his team-ups with Iron Fist, Daughters of the Dragon, Heroes for Hire, Man-Thing, and Spider-Man cemented his place in Marvel’s history.

Despite good intentions and attempts to honor the legacy of martial arts films like The Big Boss (1971) and Enter the Dragon (1973), Shang-Chi’s appearances in the '70s and '80s relied on archetypes and troubling depictions. When Marvel couldn’t acquire the rights to Kung Fu, they instead bought the rights to Sax Rohmer’s pulp villain Dr. Fu Manchu and made Shang-Chi his honorable son. As a result, the history of Shang-Chi is also a history of one of pop-culture’s most controversial figures, one that relies on “Yellow Peril” and Asian-centric xenophobia spurned by World War II. Recent Shang-Chi appearances in the 21st century have retconned the Fu Manchu connection, possibly due to a loss of rights, and have instead made Shang-Chi the son of an ancient Chinese sorcerer Zheng Zu. As to whether this change was any better is a discussion best left to Asian-American voices.

Despite a dated history, Shang-Chi has evolved over the decades, though intermittently used and his evolution hasn’t taken him as far as it should have. While his powers have evolved beyond kung fu mastery to the ability to create duplicates of himself, and he’s helped heroes like Spider-Man refine their skillsets, and even joined the Avengers for a time, he still feels like something of a relic belonging to just a screen over from Blaxploitation films. Marvel was able to re-envision a character with a similar dated appeal with Luke Cage on Netflix. Thanks to Brian Michael Bendis’ Alias and New Avengers run, Luke Cage had once again returned to prominence among comic readers. But the series further eliminated some of the thug-life tropes that made him a black folk hero for our modern times, placing him within the context of contemporary race relations rather than the fantasy just outside of it. Shang-Chi felt deserving of a similar chance to shine on Netflix, especially following the controversy of Iron Fist, until it became clear Netflix and Marvel's relationship is winding down. But, it speaks volumes about Marvel’s plans for the character given that it is perusing a feature film for Shang-Chi, rather than a series on Disney+. Marvel wants to get as many eyes on Shang-Chi as possible, and that can only be a good thing.

Courtesy of Netflix
    Mike Colter in Luke Cage.

With Monday's news came a number of social media opinions that the film should be Marvel’s PG-13 take on The Raid (2011) or The Night Comes for Us (2018). As awesome as those films are, and as important as fight scenes will inevitably be to the film, we’ve had plenty of Asian action heroes who are cooler than cool, but few we’ve gotten to know as characters in the same way we know the plights of white action heroes like John McClane, Rambo, or Ethan Hunt. Shang-Chi is an opportunity to depart from the Asian martial artist as the sleek, unphased fighting machine, and instead our chance to get to know a distinct and highly-skilled character faced with challenging the perception pop-culture has so often attached to the Asian hero. Shang-Chi can be so much more than Marvel’s Bruce Lee.

There are Asian-American writers who can better speak to their hopes for the Shang-Chi movie and the kinds of trials and triumphs they’d love to see reflected from their own experiences. But as a black writer, I can speak to the fact that Black Panther illuminated concepts I never thought I’d see in a superhero film. From the feeling of being separate from Africa, to the importance of black women, and Killmonger’s plight, Black Panther is so clearly a film driven from the black perspective. It’s a film that allowed its titular character to become more than a stoic paladin, and instead become an actual character faced with authentic challenges and a place in the world that all audiences could learn from if they listened. I want Shang-Chi to be that for Asian and Asian-American audiences. I want Shang-Chi to be that for all audiences who are willing to listen to a story that offers more than kung fu – a story that will undoubtedly shape our next decade of comic book films and the people hired to tell them.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm hoping for Lewis Tan

"Shang-Chi movie in the works!" needs its own indie thread, distinct from our general SHANG-CHI "MASTER of KUNG FU" thread, which is already 5 pages deep.

Casting Shang-Chi In The MCU
    BY COOPER HOOD – ON DEC 04, 2018 IN SR ORIGINALS

Marvel Studios will soon be in the casting process for Shang-Chi, so here are some names they should consider. Kevin Feige is pulling the Master of Kung Fu out of development and is now fast-tracking what could be the first Asian-led superhero movie. The Shang-Chi movie just took a major step forward with David Callaham writing the script.

Shang-Chi was created by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin in the early 1970s as one of the greatest martial artists in the world. Commonly known as the Master of Kung Fu, Shang-Chi was modeled after Bruce Lee. Shang-Chi isn't a stern warrior though, with his humor and playfulness also being a main component to his character. But, this doesn't mean he's totally lighthearted either, as he was raised to be a deadly assassin by his super villain father Fu Manchu. The character was originally set to be introduced on the big screen much earlier on, as Shang-Chi was among a variety of projects initially announced by Marvel Studios in 2005. There has been no movement on the character since the MCU has formed and grown to what it is now, but it appears he never completely was forgotten about by the executives crafting the universe.

Word of a Shang-Chi movie being back in-development is exciting news, with Marvel potentially getting an action-heavy franchise that once again adds diversity to the universe and reaches another community that hasn't been targeted by superhero films. But, since they are moving quickly with the project, it may not be too long before the kung fu master is cast. Marvel Studios and Callaham's take on the martial artist will "modernize the hero to avoid stereotypes that many comic characters of that era were saddled with." In order to do this, they'll need to properly cast the role soon - unless Remy Hii's already playing Shang-Chi in Spider-Man: Far From Home.

Before the potential candidates are laid out, some general ground rules should be implemented. Although Shang-Chi is specifically Chinese in the comics, it's possible Marvel will look at actors from all across Asia to fill the role. Additionally, Shang-Chi's martial arts experience is a major part to who he is, but that doesn't mean Marvel must or will cast someone who is previously trained. Without a character breakdown, it's impossible to know how much of an emphasis the studio will put on the action element, but Marvel's casting process is different compared to other studios. There's several different directions in terms of age, experience, and background for them to go when making their choice, so here are some options to help.

STEVEN YEUN

One actor Marvel Studios can look at for Shang-Chi is Steven Yeun, who's most well-known for his role as Glenn on The Walking Dead, a role that truly established him as a major TV star. In The Walking Dead series, Yeun proved that he not only has leading man potential but also can perform action-heavy scenes as well. Even though he isn't a trained martial artist, it's easy to imagine Yeun picking up enough in training to do some of his own stunts. Outside of his Walking Dead performance, Yeun has starred in Okja, Mayhem, and Sorry to Bother You. With plenty of fans already, which apparently includes Feige (who recently met Yeun at an awards ceremony, via Twitter), the 34-year-old actor could already be on Marvel's radar.

LEWIS TAN

A fan-favorite choice for any martial arts-related superhero role is Lewis Tan, and he's another person Marvel Studios should be looking at for Shang-Chi. Tan first gained attention for played the drunken kung fu master in Iron Fist season 1, after also publicly lobbying to be cast as an Asian version of Danny Rand. He then followed this up by briefly playing Shatterstar in Deadpool 2, but that role could be short lived due to Disney's upcoming acquisition of 20th Century Fox. He has gone on to land roles in Into the Badlands and Wu Assassins, but his leading role many want to see is still needed. If Marvel does wind up prioritizing casting someone who can do most of their own stunt work, then this role could swing in Tan's favor. After all, he's a rising talent at only 31 years old who could really breakout as Shang-Chi.

ROSS BUTLER

Now, if Marvel wants to go for someone with the leading man stature that can stand tall with the MCU's various other heroes, then Ross Butler could be a nice choice as well for Shang-Chi. Butler has primarily stayed with TV as of late and has left a good impression. Roles in The CW's Riverdale and Netflix's 13 Reasons Why helped solidify his place in the industry, but he's also secretly joined the cast of DC's Shazam!. That role is likely a small one as another member of the Marvel family, yet it may be joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe that can launch his career even further. Butler has the charisma that Shang-Chi could use and 6'3" build to become a powerful fighter. With a bit of training and a chance, Butler could be Marvel's next star. (Plus, it's worth mentioning that Marvel is already starting to mine 13 Reasons Why's cast for talent, as they recently cast Katherine Langford in Avengers 4.)

LUDI LIN

If plucking someone from a small DC role isn't off limits, though, Ludi Lin may prove to be an excellent choice for Shang-Chi. The Chinese-Canadian actor got his breakout role as Zack the Black Ranger in 2017's Power Rangers movie; he also plays Murk in James Wan's Aquaman. Even though his role is small in DC's first Aquaman movie, it's not something that's expected to turn into a bigger role down the line. The 31-year-old actor could instead join the MCU to bring the Master of Kung Fu to life. (After all, it wouldn't be the first time that an actor or actress has appeared in both franchises.) Additional evidence that he's the perfect fit for Shang-Chi is the fact that he's studied Muay Thai, Jiu-Jitsu, and Olympic style wrestling, and still trains today. Lin isn't a household name right now, but there's the potential for him to truly embody everything that makes Shang-Chi unique - and for years to come should Marvel look his way.

KI HONG LEE

Another Asian actor who could easily become Marvel's next action star is Ki Hong Lee. Best known for his role as Minho in The Maze Runner movie trilogy, Lee's role continued to become more prominent as the franchise continued. By the end of the action-heavy series, Lee's ability in an action-heavy role is unquestioned. Beyond just the physical side of the role, Lee has also demonstrated his acting range in The Maze Runner trilogy and The Stanford Experiment, not to mention showing his comedic chops on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Considering the tone the MCU has established, Lee can bring a full personality to Shang-Chi.

YOSON AN

Likely the least-known actor on this list for many people, Yoson An is not a stranger to Disney - and that's a significant factor in him being a possible candidate for Shang-Chi in the MCU. The up-and-coming actor is appearing in Disney's live-action Mulan movie. Yoson will play Mulan's love-interest, but the war setting of the live-action remake could provide him with plenty of opportunities to show off his acting skills, including possible action capabilities. Disney likes to stay in business with people they enjoy working with, and even though audiences have yet to see Yoson in Mulan, he impressed the studio enough to cast him in a big role. If word from Mulan's set is positive, then Yoson could once again find himself as part of a major Disney release.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shang-Chi

A new Shang-Chi series by Gene Luen Yang, **** Ruan and Philip Tan is a welcome new look at the character
    Yang's first work for Marvel hits the stands in June.
    By Heidi MacDonald -03/12/2020 4:30 pm

Shang-Chi is getting a new series from Marvel this June, written by acclaimed cartoonist Gene Luen Yang with art by **** Ruan and Phillip Tan. And that’s pretty welcome news.

Marvel’s “Master of Kung Fu” is finally getting his own MCU film next year, starring Simu Liu, Tony Leung and Awkafina. But the comics character has had a lot of ups and downs. over the years. The original series from the 70s and 80s was launched in the wake of the “kung fu” craze of that era. It’s loved by old timer comics fans (like The Beat) but rightly condemned as problematic for its many stereotypes, including main villain Fu Manchu, one of the worst “Yellow Peril” villains of all time.

But as announced in The New York Times, National Book Award nominee Yang is excited to be taking on the character.

“I mean, it’s Shang-Chi. He’s probably the most prominent Asian — I guess he’s Asian-American now since he’s moved over here — Asian-American super hero.”

It’s Yang’s first work for Maarvel and he’ll be joined by artists Ruan (Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man) and Tan (Black Order). Ruan will draw the modern day part of the story and Tan will handle flashbacks. Plus Shang-Chi will have a new costume designed by Jim Cheung.

In this new series, Shang-Chi’s fight for justice will collide with his past. When the hero finds himself pulled back into the fold, no one will be ready for what will be unleashed. With a target on his back after the revitalization of his father’s secret society, the balance of power will shift in an epic tale of succession, family, and betrayal.

“The basic idea that his father is a supervillain is still there,” said Yang. “Zheng Zhu has been around a very long time. He has other kids besides Shang-Chi, so we’re going to explore some of those sibling relationships.”
    In his Times interview, Yang, whose American Born Chinese was a breakthrough exploration of the Asian-American experience, expanded on how he had avoided Shang-Cho in the past .

But Yang, 46, avoided the character until college. “It’s that same embarrassment I had in third grade,” he said. “There was a second grader who moved here from Taiwan and the teachers really wanted me to be his friend. I felt embarrassed about it and I didn’t know why. It was almost like picking up a Shang-Chi comic would have been highlighting what made me different from the other nerds at the comic book store.”
    He says that films like Black Panther show that these characters have a different meaning for today’s audiences, and can be a positive sign of representation. “I just don’t think that kids growing up today, for the most part, have that same sort of embarrassment. I think for a lot of them, it sort of flipped. I think that conversation is changing too for Asian-Americans.”

Shang-Chi #1 hits stands in June.
    Congrats to Gene Luen Yang! We've helped to promote his previous work - see Boxers and Saints by Gene Luen Yang, The Shadow Hero by Gene Luen Yang & Sonny Liew & Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise by Gene Yang.

There's also Chinese Superman Kenan Kong for which we didn't do any promotions.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Simu takes a stand

Shang-Chi's Simu Liu Refuses to Sign Master of Kung Fu Comics
    While attending Awesome Con 2022, Shang-Chi actor Simu Liu will not be signing any Master of Kung Fu comics, the character's original comic title.

BY JULIE RIVER
    PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings actor Simu Liu will not be signing any copies of the Masters of Kung Fu comics or any other offensive works at fan conventions.

A stipulation was added to his upcoming appearance at Awesome Con that he will not sign Master of Kung Fu comics or "other comics deemed offensive". The character of Shang-Chi was introduced in Special Marvel Edition #15 in December 1973. When the character was brought back for the two following issues, the title of Special Marvel Edition was changed to The Hands of Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu. Despite being the original comic book run for Shang-Chi, the Master of Kung Fu title has many outdated and offensive cultural stereotypes.

Liu has proven himself as a champion of Asian rights and culture in the past. Speaking at an awards ceremony while receiving the Breakout in Film honor, the actor referred to himself as "unapologetically Asian." "There are so many people here tonight fighting the good fight," Liu said in his speech, "Showing me what it means to be unapologetically Asian... The more I think about it, the more it feels like a super power."

Shang-Chi co-star Awkwafina has been battling accusations that she is culturally insensitive herself. In February, the actor addressed complaints on Twitter about her use of African American Vernacular English (AAVE) before leaving the platform. Many were dissatisfied with her comments on the issue, with some pointing out that her statements offered an explanation but no apology. Awkwafina had originally tweeted, "As a non-black POC, I stand by the fact that I will always listen and work tirelessly to understand the history and context of AAVE, what is deemed appropriate or backwards towards the progress of ANY and EVERY marginalized group," before stressing that she never intended to mock anyone.

Iron Man 3 managed to sidestep any accusations of cultural insensitivity with its depiction of The Mandarin, which wound up being a fakeout and turned the villain into nothing more than a British actor, Trevor Slattery (Sir Ben Kingsley). Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings introduced the real Mandarin to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, though his backstory and character were changed significantly from his comic book counterpart. Shang-Chi also brought back Kingsley for the role of Slatterly, following up on his apparent disappearance in the MCU one-shot, All Hail the King.

Simu Liu will be in attendance at Awesome Con on June 4, 2022, alongside Shang-Chi actors Meng’er Zhang and Florian Munteanu. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is now streaming on Disney+.
    threads
    SHANG-CHI-quot-MASTER-of-KUNG-FU-quot
    Shang-Chi-and-the-Legend-of-the-Ten-Rings
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

cancelled?

Marvel Comics Removes Masters Of Kung Fu Mentions From Its Website
    Posted on August 26, 2022 by Rich Johnston

Bleeding Cool reader Andreas Decker writes "I wanted to buy some single issues of Marvel's "Master of Kung Fu" by Doug Moench and Gene Day as the third Epic Collection of the series never materialized. I had them for some time on my wishlist, after the self-destruction of Comixology now on my Amazon Wishlist. Imagine my surprise that they are no longer avaiable. I also looked Marvel up, but the whole series – the 1974 – 1983 edition only – is no longer listed there. Amazon also doesn't sell the two Epic Collections and most of the digitalized Deadly Hands of Kung Fu any longer. (Which also vanished from the Marvel site, btw) Can you confirm this? Marvel can sell what they want, of course, but isn't this taking Political Correctness a bit too far? Again? Or is the digital edition just taken from distribution to get another embarrassing apology on page 1 because the past is a foreign country? Moench, Gulacy, Zeck, Day and all the other artists and writers deserved better than this nonsense. Sad."

He is not the only one to have noticed this. Indeed it seems almost all of the Master Of Kung Fu comics from the Doug Moench era that introduced and starred the character of Shang-Chi era have been digitally deleted from Marvel's website, Amazon's ComiXology and Marvel Unlimited. You can see them listed here, but most of them resolve to a 404 unknown page, such as his very first appearance.

This includes comics such as What If? #16 and the Giant-Size Spider-Man issue #2 that starred the character. Or the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu magazine issues, which also featured the character only #19-#23 and #25-#30 remain, as do the modern-day revivals of both titles for Marvel Legacy and Secret Wars.

Is this all because of the portrayal of East Asian characters in a fashion that is colloquially called "of its time"? No, no it is not. It is because Shang-Chi was created as the son of the trademarked and licensed from the estate of Sax Rohmer character Fu Manchu. There are also appearances of those Rohmer characters such as Fu Manchu's daughter Fah Lo Suee and adversaries Sir Denis Nayland Smith and Dr. Petrie. And any mention of that fact, has to be excised as Marvel appears not to have renewed their license with the estate this year. And as result, Marvel cannot sell them anymore. If you have your copies, they won't suddenly disappear from your library. But if you haven't you are out of luck.

But to remove them from the Marvel.com website entirely? Must be one of those Jedi mindwipes that currently Marvel Comics does have the rights to.
    Anyone know any more on this?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips