Thread: How much training needed to get good in 1.5 years?

How much training needed to get good in 1.5 years?

I am at a new kung fu school that teaches choi lee fut.

However, I can only spend about 1.5 year and half there as I must change universities afterwards.

I have several years of prior MA experience but it has been a while since I have seriously practiced.

I wish to achieve at least intermediate/advanced level proficiency in about 1.5 years. How many hours a day to do you recommend training and do you have any recommendations in training "procedure"?

how you learn, how you absorb, how you internalize the lessons and move on to the next is dependent on more factors than just time.

You have to understand to be able to use any of it and that is the defining point of proficiency for any art.

also, your teacher and his ability to tarnsmit so that you can learn is important.

anyway, train according to the prescribed method of the school and go as far as it takes you. Don't count chickens before they hatch and in kungfu, time is definitely relative.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Agreed...take it from someone that has trained upwards or close to 30 hours a week for the last 6 years, and pretty heavily before that as well. The amount of time you spend a day does not affect your ability to absorb past about the 1 hour or so mark. You can absorb more concepts and methods, but your proficiency grows at its own rate, its like trying to get a tree to grow faster, maybe you can help it a little, but it still just has to do its thing. If you are planning on training heavy and often, get ready for overtraining, cycling through continuous injuries, and having to deal with having a fairly inactive social life fairly often. Enjoy
    -Golden Arms-

In Choy Lay Fut you can definatly gain some solid basics in 1.5 years if you practice hard and the school is worthwhile. Basics are the most important thing you can learn. Even at the "advanced" stage training should focus on basics.

So in my opinon a more realistic goal would be to learn the basics well enough to continue to train them while away from the Choy Lay Fut school in 1.5 years.

I actually spent 2 years exclusivly on basic training in CLF, even though I already had about 7 years experience in martial arts. It helped tremedously at the later stages.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/