Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: bung bo vid

Hi! Shirker1

I looked through your Beng Bu and found nothing missing if it is from the WHF's lineage. Although, it has different flavour, it is typical from person to person.

Regards
    khoo

done around 12 AM after a full day of training so I was a little fatigued.
    Obviasly this constitutes not training enough.....Im guessing he chose to miss reading that part eh.....

I checked your vid when you first posed it. Im really liking the flavour/power on the end of the 3rd road.

Whats your lineages take on this app? Our style is much different and involves a upwards blocking movement combined with an upper cut to the navel - hence the name 'navel propping punch'. Yours seems to be shot at the upper/face - are we looking a a simple KWA punch here?

anyways good vid
    craig

Quote Originally Posted by MantisCool
    Hi! Shirker1

I looked through your Beng Bu and found nothing missing if it is from the WHF's lineage. Although, it has different flavour, it is typical from person to person.

Regards
    khoo
    Thanks MC yeah WHF line bung bo. I should have mentioned that.

Thanks for the input.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot
    Obviasly this constitutes not training enough.....Im guessing he chose to miss reading that part eh.....

I checked your vid when you first posed it. Im really liking the flavour/power on the end of the 3rd road.

Whats your lineages take on this app? Our style is much different and involves a upwards blocking movement combined with an upper cut to the navel - hence the name 'navel propping punch'. Yours seems to be shot at the upper/face - are we looking a a simple KWA punch here?

anyways good vid
    craig
    GOOD POINT!!! I didn't even think about that. I'm not kidding you, that 10 days was training morning till night including the gathering and seminars. I needed a vacation after my vacation!!!!

Yes on the aps question. I've seen it done with more of a hook line uppercut like you're saying, but we stream line it with a straight line upper cut instead giving it a kwa type feel for a head shot. I think it's just a flavor thing that we do, not that the navel punch isn't cool in it's self. I like the explosive feel of shooting out of the crouched position into the strike more than the hook line navel punch. You're shooting from underneath the opponent. Dropping down/ducking then shooting up from underneath striking high to the face.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

Mark, can we say that you are also trying to capture your Shifu`s movement? I think we all try to mimic our teachers movement, although in my case it is very difficult to move like my Shifu, but I will keep trying.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    yu shan: LOL, so...you think I could ask John to put on about 100 pounds so I can look more like him?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by mini mantis
    hey mark,
    i like the picture of the before and after thing ! man your getting strong !!!!!!
    - -mini mantis

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot
    Whats your lineages take on this app? Our style is much different and involves a upwards blocking movement combined with an upper cut to the navel - hence the name 'navel propping punch'.
    Our kwa intercepts the attack early, and it connects tangentially without banging, to make it difficult for the attacker to read the countering force. Our right punch is a short inverted straight punch to the belly, not an uppercut. Not much arm extension on the punch since the body force is behind it and the kwa already redirects the attacker upwards and backwards. The punch serves more to create tension in the attacker's body so that his own force throws him, more than to blast into his stomach.

The LKW translation of Ding Chi Chui as "navel propping punch" always sounded weird to me. Maybe that's the difference between British english and 'Merkin English. Ding means that something hard creates an uncomfortable sensation or pressure on something soft, almost in a passive way.

In the Princess and the Pea story, if she was Chinese, she would complain that the pea Ding her. If you didn't chew your food very well and had indigestion, you would say something Ding you inside. A rock in your shoe Ding the bottom of your foot.

Propping or supporting would be Tok, in Chinese. The technique isn't Tok Chi Chui though.

yes I was speaking from that lineage

Maybe the ding, as in an uncomfotable feeling, relates to the after effects of the punch - maybe not even immediate. A lot of nerves connect etc around that area, the dantian is also around the lower half. I can imagine that a shot in the right place would give a very uncomfortable feeling.

hmm i dunno my 2c

craig

First we have delayed death touch, now we have delayed stomach discomfort punch

Well, mainly I'm just saying that LKW's translation seems off. We have a definate forward horizontal motion to the right hand and we don't use an uppercut. I wouldn't read a whole lot into a questionable translation, and especially wouldn't turn the movement into an uppercut on that basis.

From time to time there are language oddities that get perpetuated online. "Shinny Board" is one. "Sprouting Leg" is another. That last one drives me bonkers Those are like bad subtitles on a kung fu movie. That is the problem with literal word for word translation, and it's compounded by the difference between Bristish English and Merkin English. On top of that, a lot of the terms translated, originally are Chinese kung fu jargon terms that need to be translated as ideas rather than literal words.

Tui means leg, but it is a KF jargon that refers to kicking, sweeping, and tripping methods. Chao means to carry or lift up through application of effort. Chao Tui is a jargon term referring to the sweep that has a vertical scooping lifting component. Somehow, LKW translated Chao Tui to "sprouting leg". Ok, so something that sprouts somehow comes up or out. But for us Merkins, we'd be better off translating the term to something like "lifting sweep".

Probably, some HK Chinese KF teacher that sort of spoke British English told one of his students, "Go translate these for my new book." Then some Chinese high school kid scratched his head and came up with "propping" and "sprouting" and a bunch of other stuff. And then Al Gore invented the internet.

N.

Quote Originally Posted by mini mantis
    hey shirkers1,
    watz up? well any way there are alot of people in our studio doing bung bo . like around 10-15. and i am being shown a little the first line anyways! and i am 13! ! in praying mantis ! i work hard to i am their every day! and i enjoy it alot accually i don't enjoy it i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!becuase its something i never really thought of doing and i quit all my school sports to do it !! now thats deication !!!!!!lol

-*-mini mantis
    lol she's hooked guys..

I did the same thing, it took over my youth as well. Tell your dad I said hey..

mini mantis

Congrats to you, I know the feeling. Is Mike Biggie your Teacher? Your on the first road huh, cant speak for everyone else, but it is the more difficult for me. Good luck with your training and continue to have fun. Looks like winter is hanging on up there!
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Thumbs up Mini Mantis

You are turning into a real Praying Mantis junkie! Put the white ape down and step away from the Peach.

Guys, I am sure she could take half of us.

C-ya later L
    Kelley
    Everybody has a plan, Til they get hit.

Mini-mantis,
    Nice to see you here little sis. I am amazed how quickly you are coming along everytime I see you in class!
    Richard

Say "Hi" to all for me while you are at it! Hope to visit you guys next time I come home. Not sure when that will be though.

Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com