Thread: anyone have info on this book--Shaolin Lohan 108 Sparring Technique By Lau Yue Tsang

anyone have info on this book--Shaolin Lohan 108 Sparring Technique By Lau Yue Tsang

all i know is the title and author. Shaolin Lohan 108 Sparring Technique By Lau Yue Tsang can anyone help out????
    thanks
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

Red Book

Is it in Chinese, red colored, with a picture of a guy punching another who is jumping in the air almost in a splits ?

Do you practice Lohan style ?

Cheers

Buddhapalm
    "In heaven and earth no spot to hide;
    Bliss belongs to one that knows that things
    are empty and that man too is nothing.
    Splendid indeed is the Mongol longsword
    Slashing the spring wind like a flash of lightning !"

Monk Wu-hsueh Tsu-yuan - Reciting as the Mongol sabers slashed towards him. The Mongols spared him out of respect. For no ordinary man recites a poem facing death.

I have this book and I brought it back in 1994 for $4.95. ISBN 534908167. It has a yellow cover and the author, Lau, had it published in 1990.

It contains line drawings of monks doing techniques against each other. In all there are 108 techniques in 281 pages. The first part is about mederiams on the body, the second part deals in training or conditioning the body by striking sand bags abd with a partner. Basic stances, horses kicks etc. The third part iswhere the techniques start which is on page 75.

Each of the techniques have a name like white crane spreads its wing, open the window and peek at the moon, Lo han points the way, Black tiger perices the heart, etc. These techniques range from attacking with fist and legs, leg trips, arm locks, throws, take downs, sweeps, etc.

Now this may sound all good but you may already seen these techniques already. For example if you read Pa Kua Chang for Self Defence by Lee Ying arng & Yen Te Hwa, hk, 1972, Uncorn Press, or Pa Kua Chuan for Self defence by Douglas H.Y. Hsieh, 1983, Unitrade Co. LTD Rep. of China, then you have seen 34 of these 108 techniques.

What? Pa Kua book showing Shaolin techniques?

Well, in Brian Kennedy and Elizabeth Guo's book, Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals, a Historical Survey, page 296, it mentions Yen Te Hwa's book. It states the original title of Pa Kua for Self Defence was called Wall Breaking Shaolin which was published in 1936. Then this same book was later re-titled as 360 Movements practical Free Fighting.

My point is that Lau may not be the original author of Shaolin Lo han 108 Sparring Techniques but just a version of another book or a collection of several previous books that existed more than 50 years ago.

Then are these techniques in the book really Shaolin Lo Han?

Hard to say. Since I know both BSL and BSL Lo Han and have seen the PCR's version of Shaolin Lo Han, I can say it appears to be. But most of the techniques in the book did not match the lyrics in BSL and the BSL Lo Han that I know. But that does not mean that these techniques are one way or another.

However, the techniqes shown in this bookShaolin Lo han 108 Sparring Techniques, are very common shaolin techniques that are found in all shaolin styles and also including the shaolin cousin styles, like praying mantis, Hua, Lui Ho, etc. Nothing uniques about the techniques in the book.