Thread: God is my Co-Pilot

God is my Co-Pilot

About ten years ago I read the book "God is my Co-Pilot". I didn't know then how much it would affect me, most likely for the rest of my life.
    Don't know where in the book I was before I turned to the front to see when the author was born as I knew I had to meet him...Robert L. Scott Jr. born 1908. Oh well, he is dead.
    One day I was reading a magzine article about a museum where a Brig. Gen. Robert L. Scott Jr. worked as the fund raiser. I thought no way is this really the same guy but I called and yes it was he.
    I started to write to him and he invited me to see him. That was about 8 to 9 years ago. When I saw him at his office he tried to give me several things such as books, lithographs of him etc. . I told him that I had his books, he wrote about 12. And had some of the same prints he was showing me. I didn't want anything from him but it was an honor to met him. He replied " I will always remember you". Which at the time I thought was strange as who am I for him to remember.
    But remember he did.
    He would end his letters to me " Your friend Bob."

I got the email I knew was coming one day. He wasn't going to find a way to beat this one. Then the one telling me it was over.
    My friend died.
    The genuine article. Seldom do we get to met one in all of our lifetime.
    http://www.13wmaz.com/news/top_stori...?storyid=23326
    Last edited by BM2; 02-27-2006 at 11:13 PM.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

whats the book about?
    where's my beer?

I think it has something to do with flying

EDIT: Forgot the original reason for the post- BM2, sorry for your loss. It's rough when we lose the people who inspire us. I lost my first kung fu instructor almost 2 years ago (wow, time flies) and I still hear his words echoing in my head from time to time.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 02-28-2006 at 07:24 AM.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
    whats the book about?
    When then Colonel Robert L. Scott Jr. returned to the states after fighting in China against the Japanese, he was a war Hero making speeches at factories supporting the war effort. A publisher heard him and asked if he would write a book which later was made into the movie " God is my Co-Pilot."
    He was over southern China after bombing and straffing the Japanese in Hong Kong when he was in combat with numercial superior Japanese fighters. During the arieal combat his plane was hit by 20mm cannon fire that hit the laminated armor plating behind him. When he got back to the airfield he had the rivits from the armor knocked into his back. The Doctor had nothing to give him for the pain so he got the biggest Chinese guy to hold Scott's arms while he sat backwards in a chair. To try to get his mind off the pain the Chinese asked " You fly airplane all by yourself? Who reads the maps, drop the bombs, work the radio and fires the guns? Scott being in pain yelled at him " You know those fighters only have one seat, it's me up there by myself. I do it all." The doctor replied " Son I saw that plane. Don't know how you flew it to here or found it. You were not alone up there." With that Scott closed his eyes and the light from flames in the cave where the medical center was in slowly moved around in his vision to form God is my Co-Pilot.
    He didn't tell anyone as they wouldn't believe him. He wanted to make that the title of his book. The publisher said no but Scott wouldn't have anyother way.
    The book is his life story and it sold over 12 million copies. The movie took the Holywood liberty with it. They shouldn't have as it is in no way as good as the book. It was decades later that he told why he named it.
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/27/sco....ap/index.html
    Last edited by BM2; 02-28-2006 at 10:43 AM.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

General Scott wrote in a manner where he came across as just another guy, not a Hero. He wrote of his first solo flight in the Texas desert after doing touch and goes, where you come in for a landing and then take off. The instructor said that his back couldn't take another one of those hard bounces and if Scott thought he could practice without killing himself then he would just stand and watch. Just put it down where he was standing.
    Scott thought he would show how good a pilot he was and put it down right by the instructor. He brought it back up and looked down at his instructor who waved him to do it again. After that all he could think of was how he finally soloed and he flew the 3 to 5 miles back to the airfield leaving the instructor in the desert to walk back.
    When he remembered it was too late to get him as the plane was being checked out so he stood there looking at the small figure in the desert carrying his parachute. When the instructor got to him all he said was " It's mighty hot out there."
    The next day the instructor said it was his fault for not telling him what he wanted Scott to do so he put the plane down and had Scott stand there . He told him he was going to put it down right by him. With that the instructor pointed the tail at Scott , reved the engine and blew sand all over him. Then he dropped the plane almost on top of him with each touch and go making Scott run. Then he left him the desert to walk back.
    Scott then relized he done that to him the prior day as he tried to impress the instructor in how close to him he could put it down. Also that wasn't a hand signal to go around and do one more that he was waving to him.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Quote from SevenStar

That's a great story!

Very sorry for your loss BM2.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Last month was Gen. Scott's birthday. Still think about him. I named my youngest son after him.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Quote from SevenStar

Cool thread, and sorry to hear about your friend passing so soon

http://www.myspace.com/godco

someone named their group after the book.
    Last edited by diego; 05-04-2009 at 11:26 PM.

Sounds like an amazing bloke and definitely one of those you should be more happy at having met than sad at having lost them... just, though it must be hard.

First link's coming up broken for me... anyone else?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan