Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Info on Wudang

Wudang Shan?

Does anybody know this. Some day I want to try. Its said to be the ancestor of all internal martial arts, (forerunner to Tai Chi and stuff). anyone know more about it?

wudang quan or wudang neijia quan is quite nice...give it a try, definitely...
    Don't believe too much in Zhang San Feng and "Wudang is the ancestor of all internal styles" stuffs though :-)
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

It's a beautiful mountain

..and some skillful warriors are starting to come down off that mountain.Wudang sources
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It has gained alot more since the 'crouching tiger funny dragon' epic of Ang Lee. Changed alot since the years past I was there, alot more Masters appearing in the area, many young ones teaching anything and everything. Not to mention new styles being made up as well.

However there are some excellent Qigong teachers in the area and the feeling is wonderful. Cool(and COOOOld at the moment) atmosphere. China has an abundance of nice mountains.

BTW, the capital of Hubei, Wuhan is an excellent city and many martial arts teachers are also establishing themselves there.

However, try to find a specific system. Many people know 'Wudang' it is just like 'Shaolin' a name ....so make sure they are specific.

Cheers.

A friend told me that it is possible (since one year or so) to train in th Wudang monastry as in Shaolin. I know in Shaolin there are only schools around the temple and that they are HELL expensive.
    How is it in Wudang?
    Don't be afraid of walking slowly.
    But NEVER halt.

Info on Wudang

Lads,

I'm looking for some recommendations on Wudang...books, websites, youtube...etc. I'm did a base search and keep getting lots of martial tourist sites. I'm interested in Daoism and the Internal Martial side of things...I don't know much about it other than than its a Mountain Side martial arts school that was known for its swordsmanship...and focused on Xing Yi, Bagua, Tai Chi and Daoist thought. I'm also am pretty ignorant about those styles as well.

Were they monks like Shaolin? Is it one place or several places like Shaolin? Were they rivals? Why was it founded? What were the weapons they used? Did they practice a particular style of Tai Chi....yadda yadda yadda.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

taichi, xingyi, and bagua did not come from wudang. many wudang schools teach it just to make money.

wudang has genuine sword and meditation tradition, but no bare hand fighting.

wudang shaolin rivalry started when some guy learned kung fu from shaolin temple, left because of politics, then talked trash about shaolin and made up his own style, attributing it to wudang.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I often see it as shaolin redressed in many respects.

I think that what we see as "wudang" nowadays is mostly shaolin with some of the three internal arts worked in with it.

But yes, I understand they have Taoist meditations and a sword practice all their own.

I am not really aware of it being a long unbroken lineage or an organized system across borders or any of that.

But I do think it is heavily flavoured with shaolin kung fu.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Good to know...I didn't think they developed those martial arts there, just that they specialized in or taught them. So it is tourist trap...*******s.

From the pics I've seen, the place is gorgeous...I used to live in Tahoe for a couple of years...so always had an affinity for the mountains.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

some guy who teaches here and went to wudang told me he paid 300 dollars an hour to learn qigong.

i learned the same thing from ymca. just giving you a heads up.

just to clear up any confusion, the correct terms for warrior monks, taoist or buddhist are monk soldiers. monk soldiers were famous for having unbreakable morale. where normal soldiers break and run when one third or half is dead, monk soldiers will fight to the last man. it has nothing to with fighting skill.

Bing Shifu here in L.A. comes recommended. Maybe not good enough to charge you $300/hour. . .

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazi...hp?article=809

never trust anyone that can do a deep cross leg stance. that means they have small balls. would you learn fighting from someone with small balls? other than tito ortiz?

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    some guy who teaches here and went to wudang told me he paid 300 dollars an hour to learn qigong.

i learned the same thing from ymca. just giving you a heads up.

just to clear up any confusion, the correct terms for warrior monks, taoist or buddhist are monk soldiers. monk soldiers were famous for having unbreakable morale. where normal soldiers break and run when one third or half is dead, monk soldiers will fight to the last man. it has nothing to with fighting skill.
    LOL, well I'm not going anytime soon, if I did it would be as a tourist or for fun. I'm looking for start some internal style stuff here locally next month...I came across Bagua and Xing Yi, Wudang in my search of Tai Chi...just peaked my curiosity.

Thanks for the info Bawang.

Didn't Shaolin's Monk Soldiers study both Buddhist and Taoist thought? Or did certain schools teach one or the other? It would be very interesting to see Monk Soldiers fighting in mass formations...in the movies its usually just a one or a handful of them fighting together.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    never trust anyone that can do a deep cross leg stance. that means they have small balls. would you learn fighting from someone with small balls? other than tito ortiz?
    Xie bu is easy when they hang below your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Bing Shifu here in L.A. comes recommended. Maybe not good enough to charge you $300/hour. . .

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazi...hp?article=809

I came across Bing Sifu's stuff on youtube I believe...trying to build a temple in Boulder Colorado? All the good schools in CA are in SF or LA ugh!