Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tai Chi Robot

Qrio

Check out Sony's tai chi robot. Sony and Nirvana Tech needs to stage a push hands match.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Dude....... that is so freaking cool.

SONY Tai Chi robot:

yea dude. thats the sweetest thing ever.

very futuristic looking too.

long gone are the days of robots tipping over on the first 2 steps.

did you see the sweet kick it did? total awesomeness
    Last edited by FuXnDajenariht; 04-23-2007 at 02:20 PM.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Tai Chi Segway

Not quite a robot. More like a robotic skateboard. Click link for pic.

Professor, students build scooter based on Tai Chi principles
    By Kim Medaris, Purdue University News Service
    Posted March 17, 2009 (109 views)

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Motorized scooters controlled through the use of handlebars are a frequent sight on sidewalks, but a Purdue University professor and his students have built a scooter that relies more heavily on the rider’s sense of balance.

Henry Zhang, an assistant professor of mechanical engineering technology, along with four students, spent several months building a hands-free, two-wheeled, self-balancing scooter based on the principles of Tai Chi, a form of Chinese martial arts that centers on focusing the mind and staying aware of your center of balance.

The scooter contains a platform to stand on, and the on-off, and turning functions are initiated by the rider via a remote control. Zhang said that what makes their machine unique is that there is no handlebar for driving or steering. Instead, these actions are controlled by the rider shifting his or her Tai Chi poses. The scooter is driven forward and backward through the rider’s self-balancing, and its turning is controlled by optical encoder signal feedback that monitors the angular displacement of the remotely triggered DC motor with gear reduction.

The machine was designed and built in Purdue’s Multidisciplinary Design Lab at the Department of Mechanical Engineering Technology. Zhang and his students did the wiring, coding and assembly. The scooter has multiple functions and safety features with a real-time controller, latching relay system, drives and motors. Multiple sensor fusion perceives the movement of the rider and feeds the signals to the controller to slow down or accelerate the machine accordingly. The machine is powered with three 24-volt, 40-amp rechargeable batteries. The scooter’s top speed is about 15 mph.

Zhang said his goal with the project is to use the scooter as a tangible example of what he terms “hands-on, minds-on” interdisciplinary projects for learning and research that students can pursue if they study in the College of Technology.

Students working with Zhang on the project were Qiong Li, Danny Rodriguez and Ryne McHugh, all graduate students in mechanical engineering technology; and James Walls, a freshman in electrical and computer engineering technology.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

thats awesome lol

will we get to see G. W. Bush get dumped on this one too?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

TaiChi Robot??

Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

oh my...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Not quite a robot. More like a robotic skateboard. Click link for pic.
    very cool!!!!
    .... Skip

very cool also...

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    Boy - I wish we could stay in sync that close......

Thanks xcakid.....
    .... Skip

- 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

More on the TC segway

If you held a demolition derby on Boilermaker Ones, would it be like push hands?
    Professor creates hands-free scooter
    By Kerry Kirk
    Features Editor
    Publication Date: 10/20/2009

A Purdue professor used the ideas of Tai Chi to create a hands-free scooter called “The Boilermaker One.”

Henry Zhang, an assistant professor of mechanical engineering said he is favored by students for his life-experience and can make something “so complicated, very simple.”

“I always try to make complicated things simpler; I always try to help students understand complicated things in a simple way,” he said.

After obtaining five degrees between China and America, Zhang said he enjoys the world of academia because of six different aspects: teaching, learning, being practical, being useful, being beneficial (making money) and touching on a variety of fields.

He worked at Chrysler for 13 years and estimated 20 percent of the cars on the road are using his design. He designed the hydraulic control system and sensors in automatic transmissions used in all front-wheel drive vehicles.

“When I teach students, they love it because I can give examples,” he said. “They love it when you have real-world experience.”

“The Boilermaker One” looks much like a Segway without handle bars and is controlled by sensors and a remote control. Zhang explained that people can’t fall off because when it leans forward, the scooter moves with the body.

“Our scooter is hands-free, self-balancing and fully remote-controlled,” he said. “It relies more heavily on the rider's sense of balance. Its control codes are done by graphic programming, and it has a sensor fusion and real-time parallel, processing optimal control.”

Although Tai Chi is a difficult practice, Zhang said it is based on its fundamental teachings.

“Tai Chi’s poses are very complicated; we only need very simple ones to drive the scooter,” he said, these include having focus and knowing your center of body.

The scooter can hit about 15 mph with a battery life of up to 15 minutes, or 10,000 feet. Zhang said he and the four students working on the scooter are planning on putting the motor in the hub on their next model to make it more compact. They have spent nine months trying to perfect “The Boilermaker One” and will soon start working to create the smaller version, “Boilermaker Two.”

Zhang said he designed the scooter strictly for educational purposes and has no intention of marketing it.

“It’s too complicated and there are already Segways,” he said. “The whole thing is to show my students how to design a complicated system like that.

“We started from scratch, designed it with beauty and made it right.”

James Walls, a sop****re in the College of Technology said it was a challenge to design the scooter, but they succeeded.

“We had a good time working on this project together,” he said.

Zhang is happy with his design and excited to improve the scooter.

“We do not need to stretch far to impress people,” Zhang said. “It’s a smart machine; that is enough for it.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Dang...must...seek...video...
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Hubo

There's vid - follow the link.
    Korean Engineers Create Sword-Wielding, Tai Chi Robot
    Logan Westbrook posted on 15 November 2009 9:34 am

The Korean Insitute of Advanced Sciene and Technology has created a robot that seems a little bit more capable than other recent offerings.

Ok, let's be honest with each other here, robots are cool. Sure, we might make joke about Skynet, but I'm willing to bet that most of you would love to see a future filled with helpful android butlers and the robotic pets scampering around. The only problem is that real robots seem a long way off being the kind of companions that we so long for, I mean, you can't play football with a robot that can't walk faster than a crawl.

Well, Hubo isn't going to be the bot that changes all that I'm afraid, but it does seem to be a step in the right direction. He's not especially quick on his feet, and to be honest, the way it can move its fingers freaks me out a little, but it can do tai-chi and it can swing a foam sword around, and that has to count for something, right?

Lt. Commander Data he ain't, but it's a step in the right direction. If only they had given him a cheery face.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ok, this is robot related...not tai chi but boxing. Hugh Jackman may be filming part of his new sci-fi flick "Real Steel" in West MI...be still my heart!

"Real Steel" will be directed by Shawn Levy (the "Night at the Museum" films). The story is set in the future, when boxers are replaced by robots. An ex-fighter, played by Jackman (best known as Wolverine in the "X-Men" movies), is a struggling promoter building 'bots with his 11-year-old son.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

domo arigato mr roboto
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.