Thread: 5 steppings and TCM 5 element theory

Exclamation 5 steppings and TCM 5 element theory

I heard that - in essense - Taiji's 5 steppings and TCM's 5 element theory are the same thing, just presented differently. Wikipedia explained it as:

These elements were used for describing interactions and relationships between phenomena. Five phases is another way of translating wǔxíng — literally, "five goings". Traditional Taijiquan schools relate them to footwork and refer to them as five "steps".
    What I am currious about is how they are linked, exactly. What steps replace each element? Are the creation of overriding cycles combat-related, or do they exist more for the manipulation of qi (considering this is Taiji, I really shouldn't have to ask that :P).

Could someone explain this to me?
    Last edited by Kymus; 03-01-2006 at 07:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

It's footwork. Taiji was a martial art long before it was anything else.
    STEP (look or what ever action):
    left
    right
    forward
    backward
    central equilibrium (not quite so simple)

I understand Taiji's 5 steps, but what I don't understand is how exactly it is linked to TCM's 5 element theory.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Blog Entries
    I think what Buddy's saying is that the Taoist stuff was attributed to the movements after the fact.

The 5 steps are forward, back, left, right, zhong ding.

These were related to the 5 elements or Wu Xing.

The 8 energy-skills are peng, lu, ji, an, lie, cai, zhou and kao. These were related to the 8 trigrams or the Ba Gua.

Together they add up to 13, which is sometimes referred to as the "13 postures." But really its 5 steps and 8 energy-skills.

I just attended a workshop on this very topic and my teacher basically said that peng jin and zhong ding are the most important because all the other energies depend on them.

I think I understand now; thanks