Thread: Mizong Luohan

Hybrid View

Mizong Luohan

Does anyone have information about this style? A friend of mine who learned under a teacher at UC Irvine showed me their forms, which seemed mostly Jing Wu in flavor- gongliquan, jiequan, dazhanquan, and a form that looked like Hung Gar fuhuquan (fuk fu kyun).

I know that Huo Yuanjia practiced Mizong and created the Jing Wu association. I was wondering if gongliquan and jiequan are actually important Mizong forms.

Thank you.

taichi4eva,

If you do a search on Mi Tsung Lo Han, i think you'll find some info that was already posted.

First, Mi Tsung Lo Lan (Mizong Lo han) is not the same as Mi Tsung that Huo Yuen Chia (Huo Yuanjia) taught at the Jing Mo schools. Mi Tsung Lo Hon can be traced back to Yip Yee Ting (Cantonese) who learned it from his uncle. It is said that his ancestors combined two styles, Mi Tsung with Lo han to create MTLH.

Now gongliquan, jiequan, and dazhanquan are part of the standard 10 basic Jing Mo curriculum but these sets are not part of Mi Tsung nor MTLH. The 10 standard Jing Mo sets was not developed by HYC but by Chao Lin Ho after HYC passed away in 1909. CLH's background was in BSL, Tan Tui (12 row), Shaolin Battle sets and Mi Tsung. The style, Mi Tsung incooperated these three sets into their curriculum and hence CLH did the same for Jing Mo.

If you do a search on gongliquan, you'll find that Mantis 108 wrote gongliquan can be traced back to the 1700's to a man name Luo.

Jiequan is not the original name but was changed some time in the late 1800's. The original name of this set was Flying Swallow Fist and was incooperated into Mi Tsung's curriculum in the 1800's. Very popular set in the Hebei province.

Dazhanquan is one of five sets within a style called Northern Shaolin Battle sets and has its origin to the Yellow River area. Again very popular style in the 1800's in Hebei province.

But to answer your original question, yes these sets are important because it builds a strong foundation for the northern style that your friend is learning. Your friend's roots can be traced back to Yip Yee Ting and after he learned his village style, MTLH, he went to Jing Mo and learned from CLH. Hence, gongliquan, Jiequan and dazhanquan were again reinforced onto YYT so that why it is in the MTLH's curriculum. But if you're able to see the upper level sets in the MTLH's curriculum, you'll see that MTLH has its own flavor.

Does Flying Swallow Fist translate into "Feiyanquan" in Mandarin? Just wondering...

So I'm guessing gongliquan and jiequan were recent creations. What did Huo Yuanjia's Mizong look like then?

Looks like all the other mizongquan in Hebei......lots of practitioners fairly common.

Huo's Mizong is as per his family. Founding master Huo Xuwu who learnt Mizongquan or Yanqingquan from Sun Tong. As practiced around Cangzhou regions/districts such as Qing county, Jinghai county, Cang county etc....

Regards
    Wu Chanlong

lost track

Here's a Yanqing Mizong video from the master that I currently study under, Tony Chen.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I have set called Little Flying Swallow fist. You recon it's the same form being discussed from Chin Woo?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

MJLH: Fun so far

Howdy,

Recently my wife and I began taking a Kung Fu class here in Shreveport, La. Mizong Luohan is the style we're learning. Apparantly it's not a common style, from what I'm able to gather.
    FWIW, we feel rejuvinated after each class. I sure wish I'd have discovered this back when Master Johnny Lee was still teaching it here!

Rickenbacker360

PS: I'd like to know more about MJLH, too.