Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: finally deadlifted 300

finally deadlifted 300

had to wait until today to do tuesday's crossfit wod, but i hit 300 on the last set. 285 was my previous 1rm, so i'm quite happy with that.

only problem -- the weight set the wife got me for chrimmus is a 300-lb set. i needs more weights. maybe i can bribe the wife to get me some bumper plates with a good dinner or something. anyone have any recipe idears?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Osso Buco made with Veal Shank, not Lamb Shank

Risotto Milanese

Both are easy.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

i was secretly hoping you'd reply, knowing how much you like to cook. thanks bud -- i need new ideas. she's getting bored with my manicotti.

edit: i just checked the recipes, and holy smokes, they look good. must find good butcher shop.
    Last edited by rubthebuddha; 03-11-2006 at 11:20 AM.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Congrats. It's always great to break those nice round numbers.

Craigslist is a gold mine for cheap weights- you should be able to find some poundage for under $150. . .

My contribution-

Roast duck w/ chestnut, sausage, dried cherry, and cornbread stuffing
    Use a nice sweet italian sausage for the stuffing, whole peeled chestnuts are pretty easy to get these days. make some extra stuffing and cover it with the extra skin from the duck and throw it in 45min -1 hr before the duck is done. I generally cook duck low and slow 3-4hrs at 225-250, skin (but not flesh) pierced 30-40x, breast down for the first 2hrs to render the fat, flip it and crank the heat at the end if you need to to crisp the skin. And if you want to roast some of those nice blue potatoes underneath in the duck fat. . .

Andrew

i love you guys.

D00d, Teh Lift-Zor$

Awesome job, I know you've been shooting for that one for a while now.

And my suggestion:

Tuna & (Popeye brand) Spinach.

You're welcome.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

300 is a hefty load, pal. Congrats.

Also... I impress/seduce my girlfriend with Mahi Mahi breaded and sauted in Lemon pepper with Rice Pilaf. Works evertime and it's good for the prostate....in more ways than one
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

RTB, if you don't mind me asking how big are you? I'm not trying to guess your strength so much as to gauge my own. I'm 5'10, 220 and haven't lifted weights in more than 8 years.

I bought a 300lb set the other day and deadlifted 300, 3 times the day I opened the box. (touch ground and come back up)

I'm a strong guy, but I had assumed that years off from lifting had make me much weaker.

or maybe I've been working harder than I thought on the farm. (Chopped some SERIOUS wood this fall & winter. enough to heat 3 wood burning stoves thru the winter.)
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

5'9", 190. for most of my 28 years, my strength was all arms and shoulders, and most of my training was endurance work for said arms and shoulders. i could do pushups until next tuesday and curl a small rhino, but ask me to squat anything of value and i'd cave. i only started lifting for the sake of solid weight a year ago, but i didn't usually have access to useful weights, and when i had it, i was either inconsistent or focusing on yoga. i'd get my deads up to 255x5 or so time and again, and then be away from lifting for a few weeks or more.

when i pulled 300, i knew **** well i had plenty more in the tank (it honestly felt easier than 285, which is probably just psychological). i can safely say 320 wouldn't be a problem, but i won't know how much more i can do until i make mrs. buddha that osso buco.

as i said earlier, my squat is crap. i have no rack, so my squat is limited by how much i can clean. that being said, i'll probably just maintain my deads at 300 for now, and do my best to get my squat up there as well.

so yeah, you're probably a strong sumbiotch. and, according to men's health, all that chopping wood should have given you that rippling abdomen that women and metros still in the closet just love. :P

ST00: I deadlifted 315 my first ever deadlift as an adult at a skinnyish 6'1" 185 or 190lbs. The second workout I hit 335. I had done kb work and weighted pistols prior to that. I think alot of it is build, ironfist is close to me on the squat at way less bodyweight, probably ahead of me on bench, but is far behind me on deadlift. In other words, don't think too much of it, just keep working it.

I progressed quickly with the squat and deadlift once I began hard regular practice.
    On the negative side, all my lifts have stalled out over the last year and I haven't made more than 20-30 lbs gain on any major lift in that time, some less than that.

I knew a soccer goalie in college that hadn't lifted much at all, but tested at well over 300lbs on the squat as a freshman. He was 6'4" 205.

RTB: you can do behind-the-back deadlifting for some more front thigh action. Clean and front squat for reps is good too.

That's called a "hack squat".

I'd try it with light weight first. Not everybody is built for that motion.

The clean and front squat is a good suggestion.

As for the weights. Everybody is built differently. There are people who can roll off a couch after a year of not training and bench 400 lbs. Just keep plugging away and making gains that are good for you.

actually it is called the "hack lift" as the hack squat is something else, so I hear anyway. I think Pavel did a write-up in "Beyond Bodybuilding," if anyone is interested I can give the gist of it. There are some technical points to the lift but I don't really remember what they are.