Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: finally deadlifted 300

nice progress. I remember you saying your jerk was @235, before you started training Oly seriously. Have you competed at all?

Don't forget I'm still a relatively light guy. I made good gains but nothing astounding. I competed in local AAU meets and we had a few in-club meets too. It was fun, but not something that I'd consider doing seriously because I saw so many nasty injuries and could feel my body on the brink a few times. A very tough sport and I greatly respect the folks that work through the pain and injuries to excel in it.

If I had one lift to choose from for oly lifting it'd be the jerk. After a while, I felt that carry over to jumping and other explosive activities was great considering you have a bar on your shoulders that you are propelling overhead with as much explosive leg drive as possible. It is easier to isolate the explosive hip extension portion than the full lifts (and safer imo) and it's easier on the body than a jump squat (and the full lifts). For athletic training, I think I'd add this in there with dynamic box squats since that combo would be much easier to teach and much safer for the athlete's longevity.

Simplified versions of the lifts work well and are easiest to teach than the full list, as Ford mentioned. I would argue that clean pulls, high pulls(varying heights), and lifts from the hang work well too. For the hang lifts you can do them with a quick dip and reverse, from a static start, or off blocks. These would share the same benefits of very high power output whilst being easy to learn. Once weekly should be enough.

Well done, Rub.

On a related note, I took 3 weeks off lifting and training in February and ski toured in B.C. Lost about 10lb body weight, and lost a minimum of 20lb on all my lifts .
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

toby, you slacker.

on a similar note, i don't have pullup access handy (have to go to the park), so my pullups suck. considering today's crossfit workout today started with 100 pullups, that just plain blew. took about half an hour for the pullups, then 15 minutes for the 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats. stupid pullups. i had to do 30 sets of 2-3 after the first sets of 4.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

How did you break up the pullups? If I was going to do 100 I'd have to do 100 sets of 1 Or maybe like 200 sets of .5. lol.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

i was listening to soundgarden too loudly to remember exactly, but here's my best guess. i can only do five of them when unworked, so ...

5, 4, 4, 4, 4, then 30ish sets of 2 or 3. i spent about 5 minutes trying to learn kipping pullups, but i wound up sucking at it and i only had a set amount of time to finish the workout before i had to pick up my wife, so i bagged the kippers and finished it out with normal pullups.

i was planning to start with weighted dips today, but 100 is probably twice the number of pullups i've tried in any two-day period, so i'ma give what's left of my lats a rest.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA