Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ba-Gua Usage

maoshan Guest

Ba-Gua Usage

In the last post by Razak, Kevin Brought into light how he uses Ba-Gua. This is the fundamental
    mastery. To use the techniques according to who you are.

My question is, (once again) How do you fight?
    You don't have to be a master to use this.
    even a beginner of say 1yr and some kind of Fighting experiance Should be able to use the fundamental techniques of rise, Fall, Drill, and overturn with minimul Skill.

Me, I like the neck, and I use Snaking and wraping
    to achive this. I also like Kicking. Not like the conventional kicks seen. The years of training
    have developed a type of contortionate effect
    with my legs, so i can bend them in ways most are not use to. and they work perfectly right up on opponets. I also favor the lotus palm for mid-body
    and upper leg attacks. I use Eagle Claw as part of my Qinna while wrapping. As for my over all
    technique Monkey is the animal of our particular
    Yin Fu branch and givin i use use lower basin
    techniques, I come from low to high with the piercing palm.

Oh, There's more, but that's a general summery.

Think about it. consider how you fight. and then
    answer how do you fight?

Peace
    Maoshan

Practice doesn't make perfect.
    Perfect practice makes perfect!

TheBigToad Guest
    Like Maoshan I'm a head and neck guy my self, I use lots of wrapping up and unwrapping energies(Receptive) found in the Jiulong Earth Palm (pure yin) to coil in and around and control them at the spine and skull, this also lets me stick to them and wear out their energy by attacking with fast repeating palm and elbow and knee strikes and them trying to shake me off(Fire/clinging energy).While I am a bigger sized guy the circle walking really pays off so I can either avoid or even just absorb someone's attack to my body and suck them in and slip into an angle and drive or toss them to the ground hard by wedging and projecting my body into their joints.
    I like the piercing and slicing palm energies of the Jiulong method Heaven and Wind palms and I was lucky enough to meet somebody that showed me the monkey from Sun Lu Tang's animal palms looks a lot like what Maoshan lotus palm shape might be and is great for torso and chest cavity strikes, head butts, fast blocking/striking hands and head and neck cranks with the "Money offers the peach" series of techniques also very similar to the "Dragon flies around the Moon" head and neck cranks found in the Jiulong method using Heaven and Lake palm energies.
    For kicking I use a 72 leg technique form and basicaly low to middle level stamping anf knee methods into their feet, knees and hip socket or even in the base of their Kua.

count Guest

Kind of Fun

Kevin I am a BIIGGGG fan of monkey offers the fruit too. Lately I am hooked on elbows. Any kind of elbows. Elbows to the back and underneath the arms. Thumping, piercing, breaking you name it. They just seem to be coming out all over in my last few fights. I use alot of low line shin kicks and kicks behind the calves to trip. My fighting always seems to change depending on what I am working on. Using a lot of neck throws lately. One of my favorite things to do is scoop the leg and throw/control the hip. Too much fun. What about the rest of you guys?
    :D

Eight_Triagram_Boxer Guest

Joint Locking and Throws

In the few 'real' confrontations I've had, I have only used joint locks and throws. It's not that I do not like striking. In fact I am dying to know what it's like to hit full force. I used joint manipulation and throws for a few reasons. One, I have not been in a situation where my life was threatened. I try to be wise about how much ability I use. I don't want to severely hurt someone just for some nonsense. Two, the laws are out of control! I can get sued and lose for hitting. Ridiculous. And three, I think it's necessary to be aware of the fact that there are numerous diseases that one can contract, especially fighting.
    I know this sounds lame but until my life is in danger, I'm going to keep myself safe and out of jail.

~ETB

Water Dragon Guest
    Like Kevin, I also enjoy head.

OK, I know. Bad joke. I'll just crawl back to my corner. :D

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

maoshan Guest

Eight triagram Boxer

I too like to use Chinna, Like Kevin said, Once you begin to stick to your opponent it's the best way to control him and the situation. weather you
    strike, brake, or throw it's up to you. And i agree with you about life threating situations.
    I too have not had to use my full technique in that way(Kill or be killed). But i do belive in getting the point across. Ofcourse because we do the internal we have to be extra careful.
    But I look at it like this,
    I bother no one, If you bring me a problem, that means you where looking for a problem, and i dispise people who indulge in causing physical
    distress as a pastime. so if i brake a few things
    it's alright. i might have made him think the next time these thoughts cross his mind.

But anyway, good responce guys. any more?
    Come on, too many people in this forum have things to say about Ba-Gua. To responed doesn't require deep experiance. just enough to make you think about how to use this art we have grown to love. Express your self.

Peace
    Maoshan
    :cool:

Leimeng Guest

Favorites

I have developed a fondness for the Hsing I technique "Beng Quan". Even though I am a rather large individual (comparatively), I still like to get in real real close, and deliver one of these from a few inches. :)
    Short strikes from a grappling distance are what I am working on developing now.
    Also, I am a big believer in getting in back of someone and having a bunch of open targets to apply beng quan to.

If all else fails, I have a Glock 40 that is pretty impressive in its results.

Peace,

yi beng, kan xue

Leimeng Guest

Favorites

I have developed a fondness for the Hsing I technique "Beng Quan". Even though I am a rather large individual (comparatively), I still like to get in real real close, and deliver one of these from a few inches. :)
    Short strikes from a grappling distance are what I am working on developing now.
    Also, I am a big believer in getting in back of someone and having a bunch of open targets to apply beng quan to.

If all else fails, I have a Glock 40 that is pretty impressive in its results. :cool:

Peace,

yi beng, kan xue

razakdigital Guest

what i use

I like to fight with an opponent using the following...I do palm changes to get in close so I can feel them ( I don't use the classical method nothing flashy..I just need to get in) when I touch I do a beng then a drill at the face then beng again and finally a drill. This is assuming I have the time to get the technique off..

I use ba gua footwork to evade if I have to move our the way ..

Razak da mind boxer aka beng to the chest.

YiLiChuan2 Guest

techniques

I don't like to waste any time, so I like to attack the first thing that comes at me. If an arm comes at me I like to either stike it or apply chin na to it. Then if I need to go further, I'll get in side and apply a throw or strike, it's what ever I feel like doing at that point.

Dan

khinbu Guest
    I am no Baguazhang practitioner, but seeing the neck taking, I think I must make a reply too. I am a Yang style Taijiquan practitioner. One of my favorite takedowns is taking the chin or the throat or the neck or the shoulder and use split energy (Liejin) to achieve the takedown result. In my field experience, this kind of takedown has been used very frequently by me.

I also like using kicks, but I don't like kicking high. I like kicking one's inner thigh. And for Qinna, I never use Qinna when a fight starts, and I never use Qinna when dealing with more than one person. I only use it when fighting with one person, and Qinna is applied when I have gained control.

Wish for peace

Sam Wiley Guest
    Personally, I'm a headhunter first and foremost, a close second favorite target is the elbow, and the third would be the knee.

My favorite Bagua palm is the Fire palm. I like to neutralize an attack with something like Rollback, and then seek and destroy.

I like using Split for the elbow, which pretty much corresponds to Close the Door and Push the Moon from Bagua, except that Bagua always adds a twist. I like cranking it on the Bagua way, it's pretty much undefeatable once it's on.

I also like to use the Thunder palm (P'eng) to block or redirect strikes, and use chopping kicks to the knees.

By the way, those kicks work very well in conjunction with Rollback. Just use P'eng to block, latch on with the hands, and Rollback while kicking with a foot.

"I put forth my power and he was broken.
    I withdrew my power and he was ground into fine dust."

-Aleister Crowley, The Vision and the Voice

sam...anyone,
    would it be unheard of to, for example's sake, lead a forward attack (with opponants left side leading) left with a lefthand lake shape and (steping forward and right/kinda pigeon toed/twisting left) use a righthand thunder shape to smack the back of their head/neck.... ..my main question is about using the thunder shape like that, i've usually accociated it with "blocking". (i mainly practice wing chun right now)

also, what are some other uses for the thunder palm...?

anyone go to concerts and use something like the thunder palm shape to keep people at bay (down in gen adm where it's rowdy)? went to one ...last week?...(a perfect circle) and noticed that it worked pretty good. through my arms and around my back i could emit a fair amount of pressure for a long time...a friend of mine was doing the same thing.

Braden Guest
    Thunder palm is great for backhands and forearm smashs, especially using wrapping jing from the waist. I don't think of it as a block so much as a grind. In this way, it's like a foil or epee thrusting forward with a tiny circular component that deflects the other's sword - only the grinding in thunder palm is much more violent. You can "grinding block" into someones joints for good effect. By the same principle, if you can out grind your opponent, you can occupy his space with that block and find offense in defense (with a snapping backfist or palmslap or piercing palm for example). Even if you can't outgrind the other, by switching from thunder to heaven palm just after the block, you can almost always grab their wrist. This especially works if you yielded and redirected properly, most people will want to withdraw their arm to reclaim their center, which will bring them right into your grab. Thunder palm can be hinged very easily into an elbow strike if the grinding redirection is more tight/vertical/close range. "Unhinging" such an elbow strike is another time when you can usually score a clean grab; or a whipping backhand if their arm has moved. Thunder palm is also an embracing palm, and can hold an object in the crook of the elbow or shoulder as well as the palm. Various elbow brakes are possible with this method, and it is also good for grabbing shoulders from behind to uproot. The thunder palm can also be used to attack the armpit, such as in holding the moon to the breast. If your opponent is going for a grab, or slightly off balance, turning to the side and putting an extended thunder palm between you and him while advancing is a remarkably quick way to occupy space and forcing your opponent to do something silly in reaction. (Although this is probably only safe for those of us with freakishly long arms) If you have been grabbed, thunder palm is probably the best active way of escaping (earth palm usually works passively if you can go yin just as you're grabbed and simply slide out). In bagua there is alot of practice using thunder palm like this. For example, using a high raised thunder palm when you have been grabbed, followed by an outside change to attack the ribs. Or raising a more curved thunder palm (as if you're going to scratch your hairline - elbow stuck out though) while turning a little and stepping back to the appropriate corner... if your opponent doesn't have the good sense to simply let go, he'll be jerked around to the most awkward angle. There are many uses like this to escape being grabbed with thunder palm.

I hope I've given you some ideas for other uses of the thunder palm.