Thread: 5 Linear Bagua Techniques

5 Linear Bagua Techniques

I heard a friend of mine talk about his training in Bagua, and he said that he first learned 5 linear bagua techniques. Anybody have an idea what these are? Sounds hsing yi-like...

I think he said something about Tang Sou Dao (sounded like tang soo do to me)

Are there supposed to be 8 techniques perhaps?

5 linear tech's definitely sounds Hsing I to me.

I've encountered applications forms in Bagua, but nothing in Bagua is in fives.

That would be awesome if this was in Tang Soo Do. I know they've started integrating qi gong practice into it, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone in one of the organizations had the hubris to add some half-assed bagua tech's.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

taichi4eva-

You have me quite curious as to who is teaching your friend....

What your buddy is learning are the first five forms from the Tang Shou Tao Hsing-I system, as compiled by Hung I Hsiang (Hong Yixiang).

The names of the forms are:

Ba Bu Da (eight steps beat)
    Ba Lien Sou (eight circular hand)
    Ba Tang Chuan (eight china fist)
    Ba Shou (eight hands)
    Ba Shih (eight methods)

These forms are a literal blend of Chang Chen Feng's (Zhang Junfeng) Hsing-I and Post Heaven Linear Pa Kua. Though the first three have a lot of southern Shaolin as well. Ba Shou gleans the relationship of the Hsing-I to Pa Kua, and Ba Shih introduces the five elements of Hsing-I. They were designed for beginners aiming to get good with BOTH Hsing-I and Pa Kua. Quite dandy. Though when taught correctly, actually take years to get down.

NO relation to Tang Soo Do, even though the words mean the same thing. Nationalist Koreans will forever live in the shadow of thier mother culture, rather than live up to it, unfortunately. But PLEASE do NOT confuse the two....

Tang Shou Tao was Hung I Hsiang's label to his compilation of teachings. One of his more famous students, Hsu Hong Chi taught most of today's exponents of the system. John Price, Mike Bingo, Dale Shigenaga, James McNeil, Tim Cartmell and Mike Patterson are the most well known students of Hsu Hong Chi in the US.
    Last edited by QuaiJohnCain; 03-12-2006 at 08:10 PM.

I learned a form called Ba Shou. I was wondering if we are talking about the same thing. It's a straight line form, but my friend said that it's actually a bagua form. I'll try my best to describe the beginning movements.

- Feet together, hands at waste. Transition from high to low then feet together. Left hand blocks upward while the right punches straight ahead.
    - Horse stance facing the right side, patting downwards.
    - Feet together, spear with the right hand
    - Horse stance. Bring hands together and push both sides.
    - Using the back of the hand, strike downwards.
    - Double mantis hooks. Bring feet together...

As John said, this is Tang Shou Tao. In Gao Style baguazhang we also have eight lines of eight techniques. This is the 64 Houtian that John referred to.

I have heard that the last form of the 5 linear bagua forms is a kicking form gleaned from techniques found in bagua. Can anyone describe this form to me?

Also, I've noticed on many websites that people that were taught the Tang Shou Dao curriculum were taught only the first four forms and the last one seems to be different for many. By this I mean that the last form could have been ba shi, or ba ti (eight kicks), or san guan quan (duel fist).

The reason I'm interested is that I recently read about linear bagua in a kung fu magazine. It seemed interesting in terms of combat applications. I wonder if they practice walking the circle too.

ba gua was made from xing yee thats why has those 5 straight forms.bagua was aslo made to beat it but you need to know both. the creator had a few different students from different styles who went to him thats why there so many different stlyes of it. some do alot kicks some do throws because one of the top students was sho jou guy.
    Last edited by lag2ma; 03-23-2006 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lag2ma
    ba gua was made from xing yee thats why has those 5 straight forms.bagua was aslo made to beat it but you need to know both. the creator had a few different students from different styles who went to him thats why there so many different stlyes of it. some do alot kicks some do throws because one of the top students was sho jou guy.
    I don't think ba gua was made from xing I. You may want to do some more research on that.
    The more one sweats in times of peace, the less one bleeds in times of war.

Taichi4ever, (man that feels weird calling someone that...)

Anyways, please realize, the 5 Tang Shou Tao forms are a mixture of Ba Gua, Xing Yi and Shaolin techniques.

Linear Ba Gua is an entirely seperate thing. It is also taught within the Tang Shou Tao but please keep in mind the distinction. Quite a few Ba Gua schools contain linear forms alongside the circular ones.

-Jess O

PS lag2ma (feels even stupider calling someone THAT!) xing yi and ba gua are two seperate martial arts. Lots of people train both, but one does not come out of the other.

Quote Originally Posted by lag2ma
    You have a few different histories/legends mixed together in your little story.

I have done this recently everyone makes mistakes. Now, if it is a teacher telling you this you better check his credentials.

my teacher

my teacher learned from go bai tan i am sure you heard of him

Nope........