Thread: Weapon Research...Need help Gene

Weapon Research...Need help Gene

Gene,

I Was wondering if you could just point me in the direction of where I can go to research a weapon. I am interested in researching the Twin "Tiger" hook swords. So far I have tried the internet but haven't had much luck. Was there a particular Chinese figure that used these weapons and do you have any idea what the proper name of the hook swords are? Thanks.

Songshan

The first place you should go for any weapon questions is our 100 weapons article that we did in our Dec 2000 issue. The link there is broken I'm afriad, so this is a cruel tease. I also did a short feature piece in our May June 2001 titled Kungfu's Deadly Twin Hooks. I discussed some of the history (there isn't much) as well as a personal anecdote. I used to really be into tiger hooks and I still have three sets: a heavy chromed modern pair, a sharpened set from dragon well, and an antique set that I acquired in China. I confess that I haven't touched them in years, sad to say.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hi Gene,

I hope I'm not being importunate, but any chance of seeing some pictures of your antique twin hooks? Real ones are fairly rare as far as my experience goes and I would love to see the construction of how the cresent blades are welded (or even riveted) on and other details!

Hook Swords

The weapons are called, (FOOK JOW). When linked together and swung at the legs of a horse, the back of the cresent blade would remove the hoof of the horse bring the mounted soldier down to your level. The weapons were then separated and the ground fight was on.

Quote Originally Posted by Songshan
    Gene,

I Was wondering if you could just point me in the direction of where I can go to research a weapon. I am interested in researching the Twin "Tiger" hook swords. So far I have tried the internet but haven't had much luck. Was there a particular Chinese figure that used these weapons and do you have any idea what the proper name of the hook swords are? Thanks.

remove the horse's hoof, you say?

YMC: I may show my twin hooks in an upcoming featured weapon section. Maybe. We'll see.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart