Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: really heavy hands

really heavy hands

I regularly train with a mate who has studied xingyi for longer than I've worn pants. When we spar he has an annoying way of having hands and arms so heavy I'd need a mack truck to move them, and yet this guy is 100 pounds dripping wet if that. I'm about 230 pounds.
    My experience is mainly in Bagua and so I rarely if ever meet his force head on, but this intrigues me. He reckons he doesn't know how he developed this particular skill, other than always training with the intention to occupy the space in front of him. So my question to the knowledgeable Xingyi players is this: is that intention over decades of training what makes the Xingyi body heavy as hell? I haven't come across this in any Bagua or Tai Chi player, or any other Xingyi guy - but I reside in Australia so may be there aren't that many who know how to do it over here. Comments?

Intention is a state of mind. What you're feeling is physical, and the result of him knowing how to link driving off his back leg (his leg is much stronger than your arm) with arm movements that are not extended and utilizing shoulder/back/rib power. On top of that, he's probably timing it perfectly so that when his hand lands his foot hasn't .... so you're taking all is weight and power when he's collapsing you. He's not just pressing down with his arm like you see guys doing with splitting fist. It's everything going at once. You just feel it in his arms because that's where he's greeting you.

The mechanics for this range from easy, just driving off the back leg, to much more complex and not involving the knee at all .... only the hip.... and then sinking the rib and shoulder into the strike. This is why we walk back and forth a lot. To continously train the driving and hang time.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    connection. Not simply skeletal alignment, but sinking the horse/root, and dan-tien,with the bridge. When you do pek-kuen(pi ch'uan),you sink the dan-tien, and the arms are directly connected. This is taught on day one in Hung-Ga, as well as Ying-Yi Kuen (Hsing-Yi Ch'uan) and other arts. Ray, you probably recall this in your Hung-Ga training as well.

Hmmmm

Heavy limbs are usually a sign of someone who knows a thing or two about deep relaxation.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Heavy limbs are usually a sign of someone who knows a thing or two about deep relaxation.
    This is also a good reply.

I agree with Ten Tigers and Ray Pina.

Thank you for making sense to me.
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

Quote Originally Posted by timedoctor

but I reside in Australia so may be there aren't that many who know how to do it over here
    Where in Australia are you? I'm in Sydney. I'll be more than happy to share with you little of what I know on how to do it. PM me.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Jaam jong everyday will do this?

Quote Originally Posted by fiercest tiger

Jaam jong everyday will do this?
    No.... Just doing the Jaam jong without knowing how to use what you have cultivated is not enough. Also need to know how to use your Qiqong, Zhongfu, Jianjin, Quci, and Zhongcong points properly. Need to learn to use the triangular projection and other projections. Need to know how to dominate the opponents Dumai as well.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

This can depend on what art you do, and what your view is!? I didnt go into particulars in my post but that doesnt mean i dont know it, it means i gave you a answer that some can figure out the rest!

John,

You use INTENT in everything you train?

Have a great weekend bro
    Garry

Quote Originally Posted by fiercest tiger

You use INTENT in everything you train?

Have a great weekend bro
    Yes, especially when the receptionist of the chiropractor next door walked pass just then....
    hmmm intense concentration...

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

If your qi follows that yi, you will end up in trouble my friend

Hope everyone is well

Jon
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Quote Originally Posted by timedoctor
    I regularly train with a mate who has studied xingyi for longer than I've worn pants. When we spar he has an annoying way of having hands and arms so heavy I'd need a mack truck to move them, and yet this guy is 100 pounds dripping wet if that.
    It sounds like his arms are heavy because they're full of energy.

I lead my chi to my angry spitting dragon, thats what got me in trouble!

There is something about receptionist, the glasses and the hair....hum sup gwai lo!

Maybe his arms are heavy boned, but can he move fast as well?

Garry

Thanks for the replies. I've practiced Zhang Zhuan for about a year now and haven't noticed that much benefit in my martial arts(great meditation though) but I don't practice any of the extra stuff like specific breathing or visualisations - I haven't been sure what to do there.

I've noticed that my mate is very relaxed yet not floppy and able to maintain his form very well while invading my space. There's no sense of him "bracing" or "leaning" - it's a wierd feeling but it's like there's nothing to push and yet I have these skinny arms that feel like their made out of cast iron invading my space - and I get the feeling that he enjoys laughing at me