Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Find the Feng Shui Faux Pas

I think you might be crossing cultures there...

... but I would accept that answer, if you weren't Canadian. The Canadian issue is all about shipping. In most cases, when we give out something free like in a contest, shipping is factored into the budget and even Hawaii and Alaska are shut out.

I've never heard of active vs. passive in sword display for Chinese swords. I've heard that for Japanese swords, especially the handle position being easy access for drawing and Japan's whole blade-to-sky thing, since they carry their swords blade up. Of course, the Japanese have very strict codes on etiquette when it comes to swords, all of which are based on the fundamental practicalities of handling a weapon. The Chinese are different because there's this huge tradition of symbolic weapons which I assume comes from the temples and the tradition of door gods. It's common to hang a sword in the office or home because it's seen as a protector against evil.

So, in our case, it's really more about what direction the blade points. Now, the reason our blade point in is because like I said above, it's a presentation blade and the engraved side faces outward. That forces the blade orientation to point inward - the wrong direction. We just need to move it to another wall. Common sense applies to sword hanging. Imagine someone is invading the house. Where would you want your sword to be for the easiest access? Figure that out and the solution to any sword feng shui is simple.

As for the swords over your bed being 'bad luck in any culture' there is a longstanding tradition of what is known as 'pillow swords'. Now, hanging a sharp over where you sleep is certainly ill advised (especially here in earthquake country) but to have a bedside sword is very common. Again, imagine that home invader. Where would you want your sword?

So the answer is right there. All anyone need do is email it to me with their continental USA address.

Note that there's still an outstanding Feng Shui issue with the tiger.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

from the TCM forum: Moxa is Ai Ye

Eh, can the mods play, too? I mean, if Design Sifu can get in on the action...

I know what it is... you'd have to have visited the place to really get a feel for where the wall hangings are located. Anyways, great article, Gene. Had me in stitches... a welcome break from the madness of midterms.

I especially enjoyed your diversion with the absinthe and all... but I know the TCM forum members wouldn't take this ambiguitiy of Moxa laying down... unless it was to take one draw off a phat moxa stick

Fact is, if you smoked an entire moxa stick, you probably WOULD hallucinate (for the sake of science, I think some experimentation is warranted). Unfortunately, Moxa is certainly NOT the artemisia of absinthe fame, so don't go buying bulk moxa for your next potent anisette. The closest herb in the Chinese materia medica to Artemisia absintum, which boasts high a-thujone and b-thujone conentrations (the compounds responsible for the 'trip') may be Yin Chen Hao, or Artemisia scoparia, aka "redstem" or "virgate wormwood" - while it does contain thujones, I'm not sure of it's hallucinogenic effect... howver, it is really good for treating jaundice (TCM: Clears damp heat) and rashes (such as the all-too-familiar "gig butt" ).

To be sure, Moxa is Ai Ye - Artemisia argyi, better known as mugwort... a bunch of it grows near my house, along a river that flows into the Monterey Bay. Taken internally (of course, consult your primary care practicioner first!), Ai Ye is an excellent gynecological herb, stopping pain and a restless fetus. However, burning the mugwort may benefit pain and qi blockage by releasing borneol, a camphor-like substance called Bing pian in its most refined state.

But, really I know very little about the reasons why moxa works (other than heating and increasing circulation) - however, I noticed GM Tu has some information on moxa on the poster that came with my Long Life Health Bar. However, my understanding of Hanzi is pretty limited. So hey, Gene, maybe you could get GM Tu to translate that info for our forum readers???

Alright, enough already, gotta study the herbs I'm gonna get tested on this week!

peace y'all!

herb ox

The tiger-

so, if that tiger is on an eastern wall, that is the problem with it.

Tiger belongs on western wall (and would be white in the strictest of feng shui-ness)

eastern wall belongs to dragon.

~G In general I agree that the japanese fixate on their absolutes of sword etiquette, but it depends on your shaman I guess.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 03-21-2006 at 06:57 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Some winners

We have two winners so far, but we've only had two serious entrees so far. And the winners are:
    TenTigers
    herb ox

We have two more prizes to award. You just need to go to the top of this thread and follow the directions.

For the record, the office reeked of moxa yesterday. Master Li Jixing (who was featured in our Nov Dec 2005 issue in an article Qigong Botox by Helen A. Buckett) recommended a mass burning of moxa to purify the office because of the vernal equinox today. As for moxa's hallucinogenic qualities, keep in mind that shamanic entheogens are very culturally bound. Native Americans were known to use tobacco to induce trance states. My point about the Artemisia genus is that it's an interesting herb. Also because I wanted to write about vomit. Ok, to be honest, that part wasn't intentional. It just came up. Vermouth anyone?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Only one more prize left!

We have another winner. The third weapon rack will be awarded to a forum newbie who just signed up to win the prize.

Winner number three is rcloud. Congratulations!

I should mention, since someone asked, that the Feng Shui problems in our lobby have been solved. The lobby no longer looks like in the pictures. In fact, I think most of those issues were remedied that day.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

We have our final winner

The fourth prize goes to gregdread, another newbie that was lurking and signed up just to play. Congratulations to our four winners. I'll have the prizes sent out today. We had a few other late entries this morning - better luck next time guys. Thanks for playing. I'll dig around for some more contest giveaway stuff for future e-zine articles. Stay tuned!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Gene
    Another entry beat you by three hours.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Oh, first post on these forums! hi! Well, congrats to the other newb winner who beat me to it. I'll be sure to hunt you down and claim what is rightfully mine

word...

Gene-

Got the weapon's rack yesterday... and a peculiar cryptic b-day message on my VM. The rack fits nicely on my fireplace (plus it won't burn!) and adds a nicely agressive motif to the studio. Thanks!

Looking forward to thursday's thirsty pints...

brother ox

It might burn

That weapons rack is cast from pot metal. Some pot metals have a low melting point. I'd advise caution. Somehow, it doesn't surprise me that one of our moderators won. In fact, I'm glad for it.

Thanks for playing everyone! We'll try to do more such contests in the future!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So what's the answer Gene? Safe to disclose now?

I didn't see this before so I'll just chime in with my 2 cents.

I would have the blade facing outwards rather than inwards. Naked blade to face the enemy rather than myself (or company in this case).

The picture of the Tiger obviously represents the company, Tiger Claw, itself. So having a naked blade hanging over the company's head like the proverbial Sword of Damocles is a big Feng Shui no-no.

ps. "An odd flash kept appearing in the shots." - I think this is just lens flare.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT

ps. "An odd flash kept appearing in the shots." - I think this is just lens flare.

It's Cosmic Qi I tell Ya!!!

but your answer about the direction of the sword is prettymuch what we were looking for.

We accepted two answers

The first correct answer was that the blade was pointing the wrong way - the point of the blade should be aimed at incoming visitors. The second correct answer is that the tiger painting is facing the wrong way. The teeth should point outward, again aimed at incoming visitors. Feng Shui isn't always so welcoming, symbolically speaking. Like I said, both issues have been corrected. We took all that stuff down and replaced it with new stuff.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

What a delightful article!

I never read anything like this in the martial arts before. It was so funny and so true to life, especially with the contest too. Do you do that for all your articles? I could have guessed it but I was too late joining up. It's nice to know that Thomas Oh and Gigi Oh are real people. I had a really bad experience trying to talk to the boss at Century once. Nobody there knew anything about the yoga products they were selling. Those people were like robots. It's nice to read something different that shows how much fun you are having at Tiger Claw. It's reassuring too to know that you are really into it to such degree. I wouldn't trust a martial arts company that didn't consult feng shui experts. Keep up the great work! I'm going to win the next contest. Just wait and see.

Thanks for your kind words, taijihottie

We try to have as much fun here as we can. And there will be other contests. Just stay in touch.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ok, im not gonna email you with the hopes of winning anything...because I'm a canadian.
    Kung Lek, sometimes maybe you need to ask yourself: WWWSD?

** what would William Shatner do ?**

some of us down here use that as a guideline in times of uncertainty.

e d i t: and, it brings me my share of the sour mash.
    Last edited by Banjos_dad; 04-23-2006 at 12:57 PM.
    Master...Teach me kung fu.