Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are some recommendations?

You're in New York right?

Websites are good. Checking out schools are good.

I would also keep my ears to the ground. Some of the best Masters don't have a school and teach out of their apartment or at the park.

These people who don't have a place shouldn't charge that much money since rent is not an issue. Many of them teach purely for the love of the art.

Additionally, while meeting the people who are going to train you. To make sure it is legit, make sure they can take hard blows to the neck and the balls with no problem. Don't ask them to do it, just ask them if they can.

Thanks RiceWine, I will keep an ear out. It is not that easy to trust people who teach in their homes without knowing them. If I hear of someone , maybe, but being female I don't think it is a wise idea. These days, I try to get as much info as I can before acting on something.

Also, how does one ask a Master or Sifu if he can take a hit to the balls???

a hit to the balls???

I never have to ask. They always ask me. It's my fate.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

as pointed out, books info, website info, actually partake in a few classes, visiting the schools and talking to the teachers etc.

Pick something that is available nearby?

We would not know what it is really like untill we are actually learning it.

A good relationship with the teacher is most vital.

He or she may find out what is best for you after some practices with you.

The teachers would know if it is good for you or they may refer you to other schools that may suit you better.

However, it is totally up to you to decide what you "want" to do.

Thanks for that article. The web addresses were great PQ, thank you. At least I have some options to look into. I have tried some classes at two places, and it takes time on a limited schedule to do this. I think, I have made somewhat of a choice for now. I will, however look into the two NYC locations in time, PanQuan because they look so genuine. For now I have found a gym that has several trained instructors in martial arts that offer a change to my normal cardio routines. This week I took a class with someone that teaches in LI, NY in a martial arts studio and he was terrific, challenging, and fun. I am also going to focus on Yoga practice to deepen my mind/body connection. I appreciate all the advice and suggestions.