Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are some recommendations?

What are some recommendations?

I have not posted in this forum before. After posting in kung fu training and health about the possibilty of learning, AndrewS pointed out that I need to do some homework...

How do I learn basic info on different styles of kung fu? I am not really sure what it is that I want to learn. Is there a book out there for beginners like IDIOTS GUIDE TO KUNG FU Just kidding! Any help would be appreciated.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    There is a book I believe its called The Guide to Kung-Fu Styles or something like that by Jane Hallender, but it doesn't really do any particular style justice. I think if you check out various schools' websites, you may have an idea. But honestly, the best thing to do is call up the school, watch or partake in a class, and talk to the Sifu. If he is a salesman, no matter what you are looking for, he will tell you that his school is the place for it. But if he is sincere, if he does not offer what you are looking for, he will refer you to a Sifu that does.
    So, what exactly are you looking for?
    Are you looking for sparring/fighting?
    are you looking for dazzling, dynamic forms?
    are you looking for quick, practical self-defense?
    are you looking for a bit of each?
    Is location an issue? Where in Queens are you located? How far are you willing to travel? By car, or subway?
    if you give me some info, I can perhaps steer you in the right direction. Living in Queens, you are centrally located, and have access to schools in Western Nassau, Queens, Manhattan, Brooklyn, and of course Staten Island and da Bronx.

What do you want to study? What do you want to achieve?... where you're located everything is available.

I was gonna tell ya about the book TT reccommended...

http://www.geocities.com/Andural69@sbcglobal.net/

This is a link to somedude who had too much free time and put up a little blurb on a bunch of different MA styles (organized by country of origin).

Hope ya find what ya looking for.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

I know I like the art of the motion and sequences. I like the combinations of kicks, hands, and elbows. I do not know much besides when it is done correctly it looks so smooth but it is intense and powerful. I am not interested in contact or self defense.

I realize there are many styles with their own approaches. I went to the site u suggested and this person did have a bit of free time... I will look for the book you both suggested. Thanks for the advice.

There are two shaolin monks that teach around your area that I know of, one in Manhattan (Shi Yan Ming) and one in Flushing, Queens.

From what I know they don't do much physical contact or self-defense, instead they focus mainly on forms (at least I know the Manhattan monk does). These schools sound alot like what you're looking for and I think you should check them out. The training is physically demanding, which is good of course, and the forms are physically beautiful to watch....literally "poetry in motion." I don't know the styles taught but they closely resemble Contemporary Wusu with regards to training and movement.

MA books are, in my opinion, more or less a waste of time and so is an exhaustive list of styles. They won't tell you much about a particular school in your area. I would simply visit as many schools as is possible and find one that suits you. The actual system is not the most important thing. It's what the school offers and how it's offered.

As someone mentioned above, beware of schools that seem too business-like, they'll tell you what you want to hear. Remember, you are just a number to those schools. Look for a school in YOUR best interest. Be careful of contracts. It's just Martial Arts so enjoy it and do it as long as YOU want to. Don't let an instructor decide what 's good for you. Anyway, just trying to let you know that there are some con-artist business men out there since you are new to this.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Anthony; 03-18-2006 at 12:38 PM.

chow and spanglers book "Kung Fu: History, Philosophy and Technique" is actually one of the better primers and overviews of chinese martial arts in a general sense.

Hallanders book isn't bad either, I just find it trying to dig into the weeds too often and not producing much as a result.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

sounds like you should do tae kwan do.....

jk.
    check out modern wushu. it sounds sorta what your looking for. there is no contact for this is no fighting in modern wushu. san da is a seperate thing. and its fluid and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

OK, so I was not sure about it, but I have tried Jun Fan Gung Fu/Jeet Kune Do and some Filipino martial arts. After getting the owner of the Hapkido studio telling me Hapkido and Steven Seagal similarities... I don't know if I was expecting something else. Then I started to talking to someone in the field of exercise programs and he said he would be very shocked if there was any real Kung Fu out there to try. No, he wasn't trying to sell me a bridge! Now I am wondering if this is just the truth. Has Kung Fu become so Americanized that it is not taught as it originated? And maybe this what everyone really wants, a watered down hobby? So now I am questioning my intentions as well?

depends on where you are at.

there are real schools out there, you just have to get lucky and be in the right place.

it just depends on how hard core you want your training.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

If you are in Queens, there are TONS of schools in Manhattan and the surrounding area you can attend.

Just depends on what you want out of it, and what their emphasis is. If you want self defense or wushu or what? Do you want pretty forms + fighting.

Plus, some schools are boring and stiff with a lot of older people, and some schools are more dynamic and have a lot of young people.

Like one New York school that I visited with a ton of young people was Fut Gar, I think, which would have everything you want (sorry, but I can't remember the whole name of the school), but there are plenty of others.

My Reccomendation

Find a place(any place) that teaches you how to truely defend yourself. Im not speaking of some stylized kung fu kwoon that will give you a false sense of security and just take your $$, or a club oriented tournament style dojo that will also take your$$ and give you a false sense of security.

I wonder what "Women's" Self defense teachers there are where you are located? Here's one I googled, dont know much about it, im sure the guys here who check this site out will sneer at it, oh well, so what?

Brooklyn Women's Martial Arts. 421 5th Ave Brooklyn, NY 11215 Park Slope
    Phone: (718) 788-1775 http://www.cae-bklyn.org/

As Always,TWS
    Last edited by The Willow Sword; 05-18-2006 at 06:44 PM.
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword
    I wonder what "Women's" Self defense teachers there are where you are located? Here's one I googled, dont know much about it, im sure the guys here who check this site out will sneer at it, oh well, so what?

Brooklyn Women's Martial Arts. 421 5th Ave Brooklyn, NY 11215 Park Slope
    Phone: (718) 788-1775 http://www.cae-bklyn.org/

As Always,TWS
    I wouldn't recommend a woman's martial arts group, because if you're working out with mostly (or all) women, it could give you a false sense of security.

Okay, I'm going to be non-politically correct here for a moment, but given most women's lack of muscle mass, their chances of fending off a male attacker are much worse than the average male.

So working out with only women, you just won't have any concept of the strength and aggressiveness of men. If you actually have to deal with one, it will probably shock the heck out of you.

see i told ya what i posted would get sneered at. If Neil wants to be ignorant then that is his deal.
    Anyway, ive said my thing,,,,,As always,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword
    see i told ya what i posted would get sneered at. If Neil wants to be ignorant then that is his deal.
    Anyway, ive said my thing,,,,,As always,,TWS
    Ignorant? What is ignorant about it? If you've trained with women you know what I'm talking about.

Edit:

Anyways whenever I recommend women learn some simple weapons like needles (you can use some chopsticks in the hair) or something that they can actually use against an attacker that's 2x their weight and 3x-4x their strength, I always get sneered at. Perhaps it's because most MA folks don't want women to have any advantage.
    Last edited by neilhytholt; 05-18-2006 at 09:33 PM.