Thread: Here's your "Birdcage"

Cool Here's your "Birdcage"

Or Perhaps Space Helmets...

Daido juku

Karate, usualy styles originating out of the kyokushin style which has a long history of bareknuckle full contact competition and kickboxing connections, has begun to adapt competition closer to the Mixed martial art(MMA) format. Daido juku is one of those karate styles (originaly splintering out from kyokushin karate in 1981), starting to spread out from japan.

Using helmets, they allow headbuts, groinkicks, basicaly anything. Including limited time grappling.
    How would your WCK stack up against these "lowely karate folk?"
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Not surprised that kyokushin karate now fights with this type of equipment and rules...way back in 1993 I brought one of my students, Michael Mundy, over to my friend Al DiGrazia's Mas Oyama kyokushin school here in Brooklyn, NY to spar one of his blackbelts - using headgear, gloves, and headshots allowed....(though we hadn't adopted the headgear with metal facecage until some years later - we were using a more basic headgear and fingerless gloves)...

but Al's guys hadn't been using headgear, gloves, or headshots at that time - Kyokushin Knockdown sparring and tournaments allowed full power body shots but no punches to the face or head...but we were training for those contingencies - so my guy did very well that day...

(he was going into a wing chun sparring tournament that also invited karate fighters - hence my desire to have him spar with Al's guy)...and Mike won the tournament the next day.

But Al's blackbelt was very good...those guys train hard and tough...so he provided invaluable experience and preparation for Mike.

I think this new approach by Kyokushin karate fighters will benefit them greatly in the long run.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 03-18-2006 at 10:59 PM.

Jim,

As I said when this was posted in the main forum, my respect fro Karate has a increased a couple of notches. Noting that not all karateka will fight like this, but the same can be said for Wing Chun.
    It's often dangerous to generalize.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

the helmets are funny
    i like the fact that they also do these tournaments against other styles

I think wing chun clubs need to do this kind of stuff- i heard EBMAS were doing a similar thing!!

Quote Originally Posted by IRONMONK
    the helmets are funny
    i like the fact that they also do these tournaments against other styles

I think wing chun clubs need to do this kind of stuff- i heard EBMAS were doing a similar thing!!
    I know Victor Parlati and myself do. When Victor and I mentioned training with full face headgear for full contact training some people laughed. Did you see the kness and elbows to the face? There could have been real damage with out the headgear. Did you see the kness and elbows to the face? I can see if you're getting paid to take knees and elbows to the face or if you're in some sort of competition, but not during training. It's not worth the medical bills.
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond
    I know Victor Parlati and myself do. When Victor and I mentioned training with full face headgear for full contact training some people laughed. Did you see the kness and elbows to the face? There could have been real damage with out the headgear. Did you see the kness and elbows to the face? I can see if you're getting paid to take knees and elbows to the face or if you're in some sort of competition, but not during training. It's not worth the medical bills.
    PR
    Hi Phil
    its cool that you do that type of training.Majority of the wing chun clubs i have seen dont do it.How often do you train at that intensity?

This is nothing new, this has been around in the New Zealand fighting circles for years. It is just the P.C Brigade which seem to kill a lot of this so it is nothing to make a abig deal about.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONMONK
    Hi Phil
    its cool that you do that type of training.Majority of the wing chun clubs i have seen dont do it.How often do you train at that intensity?
    We do this as much as possible during the week and at every Sat. morning sparring class.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr