Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 3 best styles

The 3 best styles

Having this discussion with some friends. In your opionin, what are the 3 most effective and best styles in martial arts and why? This is just a style question experience, practioner, etc etc. is irrelevant.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

1.my style
    2.the style that beats it
    3.the style that bests them both

But in all seriousness, you're having a styles discussion on what's better? lol

really?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

1. the art of fighting without fighting
    2. the art of fighting when the other guy isn't looking
    3.the art of fighting with a big f'in gun
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

I'm pretty sure that a serious discussion about that won't lead anywhere productive...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Cool 3 best styles

1) Olympic sport base

Boxing, Wrestling, Judo

2) Mixed Martial Arts

Muay Thai, BJJ, Kali/Silat

3) Kung Fu

Praying Mantis (Northern), Dragon Style (Southern) or Fanziquan, Xingyi (internal) or Taiji. [this category is way too hard to pick...]

So the 3 best styles would be 1, 2 and 3. [I know I cheated but ...]

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Thanks mantis108,

To all....... yes I am looking for serious replies. I really want know why people think what styles are the best.

I spoke with a guy who spent 18 years in shotokahn and he told me his style which we all know is not very high level and way too linear. so after him telling me this he said what styles he thought were better. This lead to a great and interesting discussion between 5 very different matrial artists. So I thought it would be a good topic to pick each others brains
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

I like that style that strikes, that other one that grapples, and that uber one that conditions.
    Last edited by metsubushi; 03-19-2006 at 02:02 PM.
    "Let your rapidity be that of the wind, your compactness that of the forest.
    In raiding and plundering be like fire, in immovability like a mountain.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

For the most part, I agree with Mantis108. However, my picks under the heading of "Kung Fu" would be:
    1) Northern Style
    2) Southern Style
    3) Internal Style

Kung fu is the answer to all of your problems.

~H

Yau kung Mun
    Wun Yuen
    MMA

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon
    I spoke with a guy who spent 18 years in shotokahn and he told me his style which we all know is not very high level and way too linear.

and this is the problem with discussions like these. generalizations get brought up and debating starts. for example:

whether or not a style is "high level" is irrelevant. muay thai would be considered low level, as would tiger. and we all know that both of these styles can really eff you up.

"way too linear" isn't necessarily a bad thing. they still do offline stepping - like a thai boxer would - but attack in straight lines. this can be very effective.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by mantis108
    2) Mixed Martial Arts

... Kali/Silat
    Interesting. Absolutely not trolling but does anyone know of any MMAers in UFC, Pride etc who do/have done kali/silat?

Quote Originally Posted by Seven
    "way too linear" isn't necessarily a bad thing. they still do offline stepping - like a thai boxer would - but attack in straight lines. this can be very effective.
    Precisely.

Gotta laugh at the generalization of karate... if someone was generalizing fu in the same broad strokes you'd be spitting mad. I know some very fluid karateka who would take apart your average formster fu-ster, and I'm not just talking about kyokushin.

As for the best three arts: mine of course!

1) wing chun
    2) shooto (bit of a cheat but hey!)
    3) aikido/jutsu.

Smile MMA + Kali/Silat

Hi Matt,

Interesting. Absolutely not trolling but does anyone know of any MMAers in UFC, Pride etc who do/have done kali/silat?
    I think off hand it would be the Dog Brother's "gathering of the pack" event. Now of course this is not exactly UFC, Pride events because it's not ligit - yet. BUT if we look ahead say in the next 10 - 15 years, we might just have this "next" wave of martial sports event combining weaponry (stick fighting) with hand-2-hand combat. So we might have already been staring at the future paradigm of sport entertainment in the making, which could just be following the foot step of BJJ in reinventing the term NHB. Then we shall be approaching as close to the real gladiator threshold as possible with maxium safety provided for the contestant.

BTW Shooto is definitely a good call. I think there is a Japanese JKDer (Dan Inosanto's student?) who's also a very impressive Shooto figther/trainer.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Mantis 108

Do you mena Erik Paulson the shooto guy, if so he is awesome i seen some of his instructionals and he is an amzing m/artist.

regards
    Garry

1) Judo- Great base for all grappling arts.

2) Tai Chi- real tai chi is sweet.

3) Anything you enjoy and will practice-- hopefully one that stresses a full range of vigorous movement.

1. Tai Chi - yield and redirect

2. Pa Kua - evade and control

3. Hsing I - CRUSH