Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Shaolin Workout by Shi Yan Ming

B&N's customer reviews

So far, only three reviews, and they are exactly as I predicted in post 53 of this thread. Two reviews are fawning; the third is panning. I'll be very interested to hear the reactions of the rest of you here. I'll be even more interested to see how much Rodale invests in the promotional campaign. That will be the most telling.

richard sloan: Do you know if Rodale has any plans for a signing tour? Also how did the fundraiser go? I emailed you about rectifying the archive crediting situation last week and your email bounced back, but Kris said he'd take care of it. So far, I don't see the changes, but it was only last week.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene, do you know if the book will be available through Martialartsmart.com? I just moved so i'm tapped out and can't get one right now anyway. Lol, now that i think about it, i will go down to B&N in town today and see if they have one i can goggle for nothing & steal a technique or two LOL . sorry Shi Yanming! i will buy one later anyway.
    have a good day. btw, my gp's live in Santa Cruz, totally unique vibe there, i always really liked it. they lost everywindow in ther place during the loma prieta quake, but a lot of folks lost way more than that & traffic was really disrupted for a l-o-n-g old time.
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    So far, only three reviews, and they are exactly as I predicted in post 53 of this thread. Two reviews are fawning; the third is panning. I'll be very interested to hear the reactions of the rest of you here. I'll be even more interested to see how much Rodale invests in the promotional campaign. That will be the most telling.
    lol...like that one review is not some hack. I would lay odds homeboy never even read the book!

richard sloan: Do you know if Rodale has any plans for a signing tour? Also how did the fundraiser go? I emailed you about rectifying the archive crediting situation last week and your email bounced back, but Kris said he'd take care of it. So far, I don't see the changes, but it was only last week.
    On the Signing Tour- there is an event I think this week at Astor Pl, and I have heard some rumblings about some other events in the pipeline. Next up for us travel wise is Mexico, for some seminars at the temple we have there...but I would expect some kind of tour because I know they are very very pleased with the outcome. I went to the local book store and there simply were not a lot of books of this calibre- print quality wise/etc- on the shelf. A lot of hooey and self appointed grandmaster this and that. Maybe there were a couple of nice yoga books. IF I had to make a complaint, I think the title is a little on the hokey side and the publisher wrestled over it so...I think they compromised for positioning to the greater audience that it could reach and help.

Kris mentioned something about the web stuff but I will shoot you a PM myself as my brother handles much of that stuff for our website.

The party was great, Beau Sia was hilarious, DJ Spooky ran some video remixes, and the demo team did their thing also. We had a decent crowd right to the end and the big tune was Ghetto Story followed by some new tracks on the Baddis Ting riddim and Madonna's Hung Up which I extended through some of the remixes.

no banjo's at the party, richard?

Banjos_dad: MartialArtsMart will not be carrying Sh Yanming's book. Since it is being distributed by Rodale, it will be available everywhere. Our modest online book offerings cannot compete with the likes of Amazon, B&N, Walmart, etc. For the most part, we limit our book selection to smaller publishers. Honestly, there's not a lot of money in books.

richard sloan: If you think that that 'hack' is the only criticism Yanming will receive on The Shaolin Workout, you really need to wake up. The book has its flaws and there is a large contingent of martial critics that will take advantage of those. That happens whenever you commit to print, and that's a fact that I'm intimately aware of.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

oh sure I fully expect there to be negative reviews, that is only natural, and it promises to just be the first. For martial artists, there might not be that much meat on it, except that the top is the bottom and the bottom is the top, and flexibility is super important- something many martial artists do lack.

I call that one a hack because it is so obviously written by a troll- i would lay bets that the tool never even read the book.

And what about the two positive reviews?

They've obviously read it and are completely unbiased.

I just got *another* call from a reporter asking about Yanming. I told him Yanming plaguerized articles for his website. Just kidding. I was very nice, I think. He called just before lunch and I was hungry. Plus he thought Shaolin Temple was in Xian. He said he was at a recent book signing and was doing an article for a major business paper. If he forwards it to me as promised, I'll post it here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bought the book today....

Well I was strolling through my local Barnes and Nobles and saw the book. I picked it up, flipped through it, and immediately made my way to the cash register (I acted like I just discovered gold, lol). Once I got home, I read it and I must say it was a fresh approach to Shaolin Kung Fu. I enjoyed reading the biography of Shi Yan Ming, some of his students and "28 day plan". I found the book enlightening and have to say I loved the book. The photos of some of the students truly reflect their master. Maybe I am a little biased of course but a book put together quite well. In my opinion a good read and worth buying

I have read it now (it's at the local b & n).

I'm glad he published it.

I think people will be pretty polarized about it. On one side will be his "disciples" saying how incredible it is without really considering what's in it. And on the other side will be those who have trained there and have moved on with a bad taste in their mouth who will rip into it without really consider what's in it.

The disciples will say "yan ming is incredible and handsome ohmitofu train harder more chi" and the ex-students will say he's a hack.

The guy has kids who need to be supported, so I hope it sells a little.

Agree and Disagree

Well for one I am NOT a disciple of Shi Yan Ming. I do not even train at his school. On the other hand, I do train with one of the monks in Houston. What I like about most about this book is that he is the first monk to publish a book of this type here in the USA (great idea!). A Shaolin book by a Shaolin monk. It's priceless. It's more authentic than the bozo who travels to Shaolin stays for 3-4 weeks, comes back (never goes back) and drops a book. That's garbage. It also shows that modern day Shaolin is not fake either. I am not sure why so many think that monks who run schools or publish things are hungry for money? Everyone these days need to earn money to make a living here....heck just to survive anyway. It's not any different than anyone else who publishes books to earn some money. It's smart and it's a BUSINESS (key word). Perhaps one day the stereotype of the "Shaolin monk being poor and homeless sitting in a monastery" will go away.

A little late

I just got the book. It is pretty good. I especially like the meditations.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/