Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: why you should not bong high

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonmarcelino
    High bong is not stable; hence it collapses into something else (with the chance of your getting hit) or you have to dance around (poor wing chun) like many wing chun people do. That's the whole point of the vid
    Nelson,
    Quite frankly I look at it from a different POV. Once the bong has done it's job, I want to change (not collapse) to something else. This will in fact reduce your chances of getting hit, but more importantly will improve your chances of hitting. Sometimes the best defense is a strong offence.

And there's a big difference between moving and dancing. Footwork is key in my estimation.

As for Bong Sau itself, I do agree that the bong that you show in the clip should not be used high, that is above shoulder height. If you need to go high, it transitions to gau bong sau or biu sau.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix
    Nelson,
    Quite frankly I look at it from a different POV. Once the bong has done it's job, I want to change (not collapse) to something else. This will in fact reduce your chances of getting hit, but more importantly will improve your chances of hitting. Sometimes the best defense is a strong offence.

And there's a big difference between moving and dancing. Footwork is key in my estimation.

As for Bong Sau itself, I do agree that the bong that you show in the clip should not be used high, that is above shoulder height. If you need to go high, it transitions to gau bong sau or biu sau.
    Thanks matrix, i couldn't have said it better

It depends what a person's definition of a "high" bong would be.
    I personally would not go above my shoulders, THAT would be TOO high, there is another application for an attack coming from above in the Wing Chun forms. Not too sure what it is though i hear it is from Bil Jee.

Hey, who here thinks a Bong can also be an attack? Just curious.

Hello to you all im new to this site,
    In reply to can boang be an attack?
    i practice wing chun and you can use boang sau as an attack,either by leaking over an opponents boang sau with a downcutting punch in boang sau structure(using boang defeats boang principle) or you can use boang sau or dai boang sau as arm locks or breaks which i guess are attacks.
    Last edited by roomey; 05-08-2006 at 02:27 PM.

But when you do a Bong Sau, what are the chances of it slipping or not being on the right timing?
    Is this when you are supposed to change from a bong into something else like a Tan or a punch to deflect/trap your attackers hand(s) away from your center while countering your own attacks???

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander
    It depends what a person's definition of a "high" bong would be.
    I personally would not go above my shoulders, THAT would be TOO high, there is another application for an attack coming from above in the Wing Chun forms. Not too sure what it is though i hear it is from Bil Jee.

Hey, who here thinks a Bong can also be an attack? Just curious.
    Good points Cobra. I think the movement you are thinking of is called bil sao. Bong sao can also be used to attack. This is practiced a lot in 3rd section chum kil. You basically use timing to step in and jam an opponent from extending their limb using the wedge structure provided by the bong. Your stepping in is like a bulldozer action that unbalances your opponent.
    The key is to step in. This will not work if you stand there waiting for a punch to come and then bong as a first movement. This is dangerous as you are on the defensive and would most likely have to convert to lop etc. Instead bong sau is most commonly used as a 2nd hand after contact has already been established. These are general rules, exceptions may apply

Good points Cobra. I think the movement you are thinking of is called bil sao. Bong sao can also be used to attack. This is practiced a lot in 3rd section chum kil. You basically use timing to step in and jam an opponent from extending their limb using the wedge structure provided by the bong. Your stepping in is like a bulldozer action that unbalances your opponent.
    The key is to step in. This will not work if you stand there waiting for a punch to come and then bong as a first movement. This is dangerous as you are on the defensive and would most likely have to convert to lop etc. Instead bong sau is most commonly used as a 2nd hand after contact has already been established. These are general rules, exceptions may apply

Yeah I am told and taught that the bong sau can jam an attackers momentum, and yes I understand you also need to step with this bong and have forward energy. THe thing is, is it a must to change from the bong into something else like a Tan while countering and attacking with your own hits? Or can you simply alter your bong sau into a complete jam on your attackers arms pressed against his body while hitting him a couple of times? OR does it depend on the attacker and situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander
    Yeah I am told and taught that the bong sau can jam an attackers momentum, and yes I understand you also need to step with this bong and have forward energy. THe thing is, is it a must to change from the bong into something else like a Tan while countering and attacking with your own hits? Or can you simply alter your bong sau into a complete jam on your attackers arms pressed against his body while hitting him a couple of times? OR does it depend on the attacker and situation?
    When steppping with bong your other arm is usually in a wu; at this stage there is no hitting or striking. The bong pre-emptively contacts the opponent's arm (ideally you want to shut him down--don't allow him to extend.) With stepping this should unbalance your opponent. To do this it's important that the forward momentum of your bong is applied towards your opponent's motherline. After the bong step--bulldoze action--you transition to other movements depending on what situation arises. So any of your scenarios are possible.
    Last edited by nelsonmarcelino; 05-08-2006 at 04:23 PM.

When steppping with bong your other arm is usually in a wu; at this stage there is no hitting or striking. The bong pre-emptively contacts the opponent's arm (ideally you want to shut him down--don't allow him to extend.) With stepping this should unbalance your opponent. To do this it's important that the forward momentum of your bong is applied towards your opponent's motherline. After the bong step--bulldoze action--you transition to other movements depending on what situation arises. So any of your scenarios are possible.

Thats interesting....