Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any kun fu teachers who also teach grappling in new york

Well, I'm glad that I won but whenever I win and come out unscathed I can't help but question the other's technical ability. At the same time the guy wasn't a punk and took some good shots before tapping. And he did reverse my throw and when he mounted me he felt like he knew what he was doing.

So, all I can do it learn from what worked, and watch the video and look to see what could be better ... like when I'm striking him while entering I'm sure I lost power because my back isn't straight, I'm pulling my head back a bit as a cautionary measure. So I need to fix that.

You know how it is. I've heard so much about you, you sound like a real warrior. I just picked up this book, The Gracie Way, a history of the family. Just started it. It seems interesting.

I really respect those guys and what they've done for martial arts. Forced everyone to pick up their game.

dont worry

dont worry so much about the technics drilling is the most important then to live is just as.The biggest problem with most kun fu teachers they dont use what they teach so how can they teach it?dont worry so much about your back thats a myth .Theres many ways to get power .everone is diffrent because some can do it with a straight back some people can do it with out .you dont see boxers with there back all straight.you do what your body allows you to do then you become your own person with a idea not a form.
    Last edited by lag2ma; 04-03-2006 at 02:05 PM.

I understand what you're saying, and I never want to copy my master's "form," but I do want his power-generation. I am now able to do a lot of things that I couldn't before from training.

I get a ton of power driving off the back leg now, and also turning the front leg into the back leg by using a pushing angle, I know you know this. Right now, in combat, I have a slight disconnect in the back. I know it. It's something I've recently focused on. In straight walking it still appears so obviously in free fighting it's not natural. But now that I have clear evidence of power seeping away via this disconnection I have to fix it. I don't think it will be hard. Just have to walk back-and-forth a few hundred times until I feel it right naturally. Than a few hundred times more .... and then a few hundred times more to were I don't think about it. By mid-summer it should be fixed.... hopefully.