Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waist Chop- Jam Yue help

Waist Chop- Jam Yue help

Hi,

I have been playing with the waist chop from seven stars stance and was wondering how everyone else applies it.

I find it easier to do if I am closer to the other person but that means that when they fall they go over my knee which seems/feels a bit risky on my knee. Not as much of a problem with the ma bo/Deng Shan Bo waist chop as my knee is in a strnger position.

I am guessing that the answer is obvious and the 7 star stance should be done a foot range rather than knee range?

Paul

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I'm still basically just learning Beng Bu but I'll take a stab at this.

It seems as if you are relatively close. Not hip to hip close but like knee to knee close with the other end being ankle to ankle close. I think you DO want them to go over the knee because if you are ankle to ankle in this move then you are over-extended as you try to chop the waist and could get countered more easily by being pulled forward at that point.

also, given that TO ME, it seems as if the hook stance is not used dynamically in this application. I feel like you are sneaking the hook in to act as a post to trip them over with the pull of the arm and the chop to the waist. SO, in that instance, it would be easier for them to just empty step out and back if you are just ankle to ankle.

just my novice thoughts....
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Thumbs up Good topic!

For any kind of throw/takedown you MUST be as close as possible. The more surface area the more power/leverage you will have. It is also essential that the "chopping" arm be taken all the way across the tripping leg/foot. This will ensure they do not land on your knee. In our Meihua we execute this technique (usually) from a Small Mountain Climbing Stance, so the knee is bent. In this manner one can also bring their opponent down on top of the knee causing severe injury to the spine and back.
    I had the hardest time trying to apply such techniques for a long time. That is because at first I was taught to be at what you are calling "foot distance." Once you close the gap and get tight, this is **** near effortless.
    I will most likely be teaching my seminar at the MQ conference in Vegas on this specific technique and showing variations on a theme so to speak. Hope you can make it and share your ideas with me and the rest of the Mantis junkies!
    Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Thanks for your toughts guys, that makes sense Jake, also I feel I naturally want to use hill climbing etc instead of 7 stars stance. Good point though with the chopping hand.

On a similar note why do you think its called waist chopping? Is it because of the strike or because of the fact that the throw breaks the persons structure? Or maybe something else

I wish I could make vegas but the UK is a long way away. Good luck and I hope to attend a mantis event or two in the future.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T England
    I find it easier to do if I am closer to the other person but that means that when they fall they go over my knee which seems/feels a bit risky on my knee. Not as much of a problem with the ma bo/Deng Shan Bo waist chop as my knee is in a strnger position.

I am guessing that the answer is obvious and the 7 star stance should be done a foot range rather than knee range?l
    If you do the 7 star waist chop at knee range, your quadriceps(vastus medialis) connects and applies force according to jim nim tiep kao. It is dynamic and springy rather than static or crashing. Combined with the upper body force in the opposite direction, you create a scissoring effect so the person flies/pops over your knee rather than falling on it.

N.

I believe it is named Waist Chop because in the form you are actually chopping with your right hand, at the waist level. Of course the application can be done pretty much anywhere on the side of the body depending on your desired effect.
    Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Talking

Hi Paul,

7 Star stance, in my experience, is not used as a "throw" or "takedown", but used in conjunction with bumping or chopping Palm to the opponents flank (medial/posterior deltiod) to disrupt the opponents center followed by a hook punch. The idea is to abruptly shift the opponents shoulders and head past his hips, then use your fist to reposition the opponents head in the opposite direction. (very similar to how Wing Chun boxers attack the flank before centerline blasting)

ie, if right hand is grabbing, opponent falls to your right, follow up with a right hook punch, causing opponent to "fall on your fist".

The 7 Star stance, from what my teacher taught me, is a posture that you never "freeze" in, but transition into a follow up. That is to say that the technique is not the finish, but the middle technique just after the bridge.

The 7 Star stance would be number 3 in the following sequence:

1. Distract
    2. bridge and mislead
    3. disrupt opponents posture
    4. tenderize
    5. Throw or Qin Na

In almost every set, the 7 Star Chop is followed by Huan Chui-Beng Chui sequence. The 7 Star stance sets puts the rear leg in flexion allowing the posture to be catapulted into the monkey step that immediately follows.

Hope it helps!
    M.Dasargo

PS
    I could be completely wrong

Mechanics

saw a lot of things this past weekend that employed the same mechanical idea of crossing the opponent's body for the throw.

I've posted elsewhere before about a system of looking at the balance points in the body and how any throw generally affects at least two of these directly:

Head
    Shoulders
    Hips
    Knees
    Ankles

It seems as if mantis likes to throw by crossing the body up by primarily attacking shoulder and then knee or ankle.

???? thoughts?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

LMAO, great caveat at the end there Michael...prompting a new sig for me.

Smile Waist Chop

Well, I don't think the waist chop (especially the one with the hooking leg) is meant to be a be all end all type of technique. This is to say that there should be a plan B, a follow up like Michael said. BTW, Greater 7 stars line terminology is not necessarily the same as the Greater Meihwa Line's counterpart. So... At the core they are essentially the same thing but there are nunances that also make them different.

Controlling the top (by crossing the hands) is a way of breaking the balance and is similar in concept to Judo's Kuzushi. Just a thought.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Quote Originally Posted by mantis108
    Controlling the top (by crossing the hands) is a way of breaking the balance and is similar in concept to Judo's Kuzushi. Just a thought.

Mantis108
    that's what I was getting at. the system I refer to was taught to me by a jujitsu teacher about 9 years ago. I have yet to see a throw in any style that couldn't be described using it.

Hi
    I don’t find it gets to my knee???? i find it Quicker using the 7 star stance than the any of the others but I find I get more power from the ma bo???

I tend to think of it in a similar way to Michael dasargo and mantis108 I don’t go looking for the take down if it happens it happens but as they are falling/ losing balance I follow up with the punch.

I have seen many people pulling the opponents hand towards the side of there own body.
    I find if you take the hand towards your body the opponent will not go down as easy and they can counter but if you take it across there body I find it easier and harder for them to counter.

Question has the height of the person doing the waist chop got any relevance I know someone that finds it easy to apply and he is a little shorter that his opponents?????????? come to think of it he Prefers the ma bo to the 7 star stance

Dave

Hey guys

There was a huge discussion on the board a few months back about this particular technique.....especially the point of chopping to the waist and why/how effective it actually is.

I find that the best way to use this is to make sure the lead leg is held deep across the opponents body. A lot of people play this application really high and I feel that too high a stance limits its effectiveness.

I think it can be played in many ways.
    It can be used as a trip/takedown with emphasis put on the pulling hand with a waist chop for assitance.
    Some people focus on the actual chopping to the waist as a means of internal injury (was main discussion of other thread).
    Like mentioned above, it can be played as a means of upsetting the opponents center, so you can redirect the energy downwards, to then follow with a devastating strike in the opposite direction.

really interesting topic

craig

Waist Chop

The waist chop is risky and sometimes ackward. Its useful in the sense that you end up in positions were it is quite useful. Note to self: the wrist of the other hand is being held secure the reason I say this is for a simple reason if it does take you to the ground for some reason unknown, you are in good position to switch to a Japeness kamora (Maybe someone knows the Chinese name for that lock) hold. At least till things settle back down. Waist chops are very close and sensitive acts. If you feel there waist it means your close and you can register there center fairly well. Close also means the ground is now a issue. This is not to be done without a serious dedication to the act its not something you can go into lightly. I have found more often then not I dont lead into a action intending a waist chop but have found myself in position where it is the most useful technique so I believe it should be practiced. Awarness of the hands and waist are key points in any transaction. Knowledge of what it feels like in that position are great tools. You will find yourself falling into those positions alot when training.As far as the stance I believe its a transitional step from the Seven star hook to a more solid Knee over toe Start from right behind the ankle with seven star stance Transfer wieght with feeling dont give yourself away. a student with thoughts
    Last edited by SunRooster; 03-25-2006 at 05:13 PM.

Interesting Topic

I really like this specific technique. A few things that I have found to help me in the actual application of it are not moving in to perform the technique, but allowing the opponent to attack where you yield right into position for this throw. Its not so much pulling the arm of the opponent as it is yielding and letting his/her attack continue and empty. The pull is just after the attack empties. Also, switching from a waist chop to the shoulder or even right above the elbow can help catch their center and even help to stop their yielding out of it (by bending the elbow). I do it in the 7 star stance but the emphasis is not on the knee or leg as much as it is yielding the upper body to allow the attacker to empty and expose their own center. This makes it much easier and even effortless to throw them after they have given me their own center. Its all in the waist.

Just a few thoughts I have had.