Thread: Tiger and Crane style.....

Tiger and Crane style.....

I study the tiger and crane style kung fu. Is there anywhere on the net where I can find pictures or diagrams of diffenrent blocks, kicks or punches??

The reason I ask, is after class I alsways make notes when I get home, but drawing is not up to scratch. So for example I make notes on the upper crane block or monkey block, I can then stick a picture or diagram of it next to it. Any help??

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    What is Tiger Crane Style? Do you mean Hung-Ga? Although the Tiger and Crane form is the most popularly demonstrated set in the system, it is a Five Animal style. I believe a few generationa back, someone coined the phrase Fu-Hok P'ai, but that is more the name of their organization.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers
    What is Tiger Crane Style? Do you mean Hung-Ga? Although the Tiger and Crane form is the most popularly demonstrated set in the system, it is a Five Animal style. I believe a few generationa back, someone coined the phrase Fu-Hok P'ai, but that is more the name of their organization.

The Kung Fu I study involves two of the 5 styles - Crane Style and Tiger Style. Anyway, can anyone asnwer my question?

Maybe you can tell us your lineage or more specifics about your stlye.

TT is refering to the fact that Hung Gar for a significant period of time was called Tiger/Crane System (Fu Hok Pai). As far as we know, there is not a system that was specifically focused on only Tiger and Crane. Not saying that there isn't one but that's why you need to give more information.

Tiger-crane fist

Quote Originally Posted by hasayfu
    Maybe you can tell us your lineage or more specifics about your stlye.

TT is refering to the fact that Hung Gar for a significant period of time was called Tiger/Crane System (Fu Hok Pai). As far as we know, there is not a system that was specifically focused on only Tiger and Crane. Not saying that there isn't one but that's why you need to give more information.

It may be because I come from Uk, so may differ from USA but our style, Tiger Crane combination, comes from Fujian Province in Southern China. When the Manchurians took power in China, the Fujian Shaolin Temple was burned to the ground and the majority of the monks were massacred. However, five Masters escaped. The most famous was Hung Ee Kan, a Master of Tai Chor, or Tiger style, an unbeaten champion who was held in great acclaim for the power of his blows and the strength of his stance.

When the Temple was destroyed, Hung Ee Kan took refuge with a Chinese Opera troop, known as The Red Barge, that traveled the country in a red painted barge. Wherever the troop stopped to perform in new towns, Hung Ee Kan gathered together opponents of the Manchu’s and formed secret societies that learnt Tai Chor from the Master in preparation for the day that the Manchu’s would be overthrown. Because of this widespread dispersal of his knowledge of Kungfu, Hung Ee Kan’s Tai Chor became the ancestor of many styles of Kungfu, including Hung Gar.

Crane, monkey blocks...Tai Chor (Zu)...

Sounds to me, spaced, that your style is Nan Shaolin 5 ancestor Fist....Wuzu Quan, or ngo cho in Cantonese. The first form is called San Zhan, or 3 Battles; does this sound familiar? Within that first form, which comprises the heart of ngo cho, there are a variety of crane and monkey blocks, 3 advances and retreats of finger attacks (over the waterfall) followed by a few palm strikes, all combined to teach good footwork, and the idea of spitting and swalloning force, which is worked on through the forms "catchings".

Does this sound familiar?

For those wanting more info on this tiger/crane style in the UK you can try this site.

http://www.namyang.co.uk/

If you click on the link'learn kung fu' you'll find a video showing parts of Sam Chien.
    Last edited by CHAZ; 03-24-2006 at 10:49 AM.
    A wise man knows, that to know is to know that to know is not to know

Sil Lum Tiger Crane, Hung Kuen, Hung Gar, Hung Ga, Hung Mei Pai, Hung Pai, etc etc.

You will find a lot of stuff if you use any of these keywords that is similar to what you are learning.

Don't look for exacts, you won't find one that mirrors the next but you will see similarity in shapes. There are fundaments to the idea of tiger/crane that exist in all that practice this old style of shaolin.

The 'tiger/crane double shape" fist method that was created by Huang Fei Hung was distilled from the tiger he knew and the Crane he learned from his wife. this set in and of itself doesn't address every aspect of each style and is for the wfh lineage of hung gar.

Tiger/Crane is generally though of as a 'Hung' style, but don't confuse it with all the different lineages of Hung Ga and how they do it. It may be completely diferent than the concepts and ideas and principles that are driving what you are being taught.

food for thought.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Wong Fei-Hung did not learn the Crane from his wife, nor did Hung Hei-Guen. That is a story that was in a few films, most notably, Fists of the White Lotus. That is also where people got the notion that Bak me killed Hung Hei-Guen and his son, Hung Man-Ting defeated him. The crane techniques were part of the Five Animals from the start, Wong Fei-Hung learned more crane from Tiet Kiu-Sahm, and also echanged knowledge with Wong Yun-Lum, who was a Tibetan White Crane master. The reason the whole wife teaching him story is still being told is because nobody in Hung-Ga wants to give credit where credit is due, to the input of Tibetan Lama Pai. Who wants to advertize another's system?
    BTW, Wong Fei-Hung's 4th wife was Mok Gwai-Lan, and there is definately input of her system into Hung Kuen, but she was from Mok-Ga.
    Yep, and Ng Moi probably never taught a little girl selling beancurd her art which became known as Wing Chun, Ah Dat-Tohr probably never witnessed a fight between a white ape and a white crane, most definately didn't take the injured ape home with him, and Hsing-Yi, Bot Kua, and Tai Chi didn't come from Wu-Dan, and probably every other fantastic tale, oral history, legend, is mostly fabricated.
    Heck, many know that Bruce Lee hurt his back doing good mornings with too much weight, but the entire world now thinks some guy flying sidekicked him in the spine during a death match!

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers
    Yep, and Ng Moi probably never taught a little girl selling beancurd her art which became known as Wing Chun, Ah Dat-Tohr probably never witnessed a fight between a white ape and a white crane, most definately didn't take the injured ape home with him, and Hsing-Yi, Bot Kua, and Tai Chi didn't come from Wu-Dan, and probably every other fantastic tale, oral history, legend, is mostly fabricated.
    Heck, many know that Bruce Lee hurt his back doing good mornings with too much weight, but the entire world now thinks some guy flying sidekicked him in the spine during a death match!
    If you haven;t read Brian Kennedy;'s book yet I recommend it. He has this passage where he talks about all the good Kung-Fu origin stories include either: an immortal, an albino, or a midget (or some combination thereof). It's interesting to read his historical context of CMA...especially the Shaolin is not the cradle of CMA (which I never believed it was).
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Blog Entries

Fu Hok

Hi Spaced,

I believed the style that you are looking for is the Fu Hok Yao Gong Fut Pai Kuen.
    Here is sifu Andy Peck's website http://www.fuhok.org/aboutus.html
    I find him to be very knoledgable as well as open and generous with his kung fu.

How long have you trained in the Tiger crane style and who is your sifu in the UK, also can you share a little about your style's theory and approach to fighting?

Does anyone have any info to share about this rare style?

I have trained with one of your sifu`s called Mike Lynch, cant say the style was traditional, he didnot even be asked to be called sifu, only one hour training sessions, hopefully your sifu and style is more traditional
    Last edited by Mantis Fist; 04-14-2006 at 05:15 AM.