Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar special issue

Hung Gar special issue

Anyone get the latest Kung Fu Tai Chi magazine? It's a special on Hung Gar. As a Hung Gar nut, I thank all you folks who put it together.

Just got my copy and loved the tribute to the Kiu Sau and Buck Sam Kong's 12 hands article. Nice perspective.

Thanks for the props, hasayfu

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up

Gene
    now that's a cool issue.

a nice balance of : History, Theory and Application.

Whats with the Wing Chun, thought it was a HG issue? (still a great article).

Think Chen can do a follow up article on the applications of the 5 element pole?

again, great issue, a template worth continuing

Thanks again for your kind words, ngokfei

The Wing Chun article was in there because we have so many Wing Chun articles in the queue. Wing Chun is the most prolific community for article submission for our magazine at this time. Since we have so many, we almost always put a Wing Chun article in. I figured it was still a southern style and still in the ballpark. The kicking theory presented there was general enough to apply to Hung Ga kicks (or any style for that matter).

As for Sifu Tony Chen, we could do an applications article but it would be really hard to shoot. Long poles are just that - long. We had a tought time squeezing his image and the pole into shot. With two people and long poles, it gets really hard to see the details because we'd have to be so far away to shoot it. I have a few other Xingyi things up my sleeve with Sifu Tony, though. After all, he is my teacher now, and you don't know how rewarding it is for me to be able to write articles from the inside, as opposed to covering wushu or some other style I do not train in. The Xingyi long pole was somewhat related to the Xingyi Da Dao article I did in the previous issue (see the internal forum thread and the Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine forum thread - both short).

We can only do specials when they come together and they come together organically. It's sort of a push-pull because some specials are more successful on the newsstands than others. Hung Ga is pretty secular, so such a special might not appeal to those outside the system. But still, it was a fun issue to work on. We saw the opportunity to do a special and just went for it. I'm glad at least two of you appreciated it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

careful ~G all this talk of long poles will get our female posters into a tizzy!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

We need more female posters...

We *especially* need more female posters in a tizzy.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Great Article About Wong Fei Hung

I have only read this article but it was VERY GOOD. It is pretty amazing how flashy they get it to look on screen, but I still like watching the old men doing the froms slow and showing you every stance.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Wong fei-hung theme song

is there any way you can post this article, I might call myself jethro but james wong's version of this in once upon a time in china is my favorite song ever.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

Nothing's free

buy the magazine.

hmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Design Sifu
    buy the magazine.

I can try can't I?

May/June issue

Gene- I am nota hung gar person- but congrats on a great issue. I recommended it
    to several friends- and they bought the issue. I did too.
    joy chaudhuri

on a critical note though

Aren't you missing quite a few prominent Hung Gar Sifu's in the line up?

YC Wong, KW Lam, etc?

common what's the scoop, i think we prefer them over a
    shaolin monk and a wushu kid

(on a side note, I bet that kid is really popular with the girls given what his dad can do with his "Little John"!!!

Wow, I just have to say Ilove the article. I haven't recieved my hard copy issue yet but I'm pretty excited if the other articles are that good. Keep up the good work.

Yc & Wl

We did the Bridge Hand comparison photo spread from archived photos. Unfortunately we could access photos of Y.C. Wong and Wing Lam. We probably have them somewhere, but frankly, we haven't done anything with either of them in a long, long time, so whatever photos we might have weren't easily accessible. I suppose that's a bit ironic given that Wing Lam is my old sifu, but there's more to that story as anyone who follows it knows.

The monk and the wushu kid was mostly to make the point about the possible evolution of kiu sau from baduanjin to nanquan. I'm rather disappointed that no one has commented on the baduanjin theory. It opens up a huge pandora's box if you examine that more closely.

Thanks for all the great support of this special issue everyone! It's very gratifying. Truth be told, this is the kind of issue that I prefer to do more than the general content issues, but typically newsstand sales don't support them as much because they are more secular. That doesn't stop us from doing them, obviously, but it does mean that we can't do them as often. Specials are a lot more work too. I don't think I could handle having to do them all the time.

BTW, I had several Hung Ga wannabe writers come up to me at UC Berkeley's tournament this weekend proposing Hung Ga articles. While we are always interested in submissions, to query an article on a subject we just covered in a special sort of day late and dollar short. Then again, it's worse to wait for the specials like many of the Shaolin guys do. Anyways, we'll see how it does on the newsstand. We won't get palpable results for several months and I'm already deep into the next issue.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gateshead,Tyne & Wear {for now then Edinburgh Scotland}
    Ive just bought it today
    [Why is the rum always gone]