Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Weapons

Might not make 'sense,' but it makes 'cents'...

...or yuan perhaps.

By granting the exclusive contracts for these mandatory weapons, IWuF can line the pockets of the manufacturer. I guess that's how it's done in a communist nation. In a free market - LIKE WITH EVERY OTHER INTERNATIONAL SPORT - the rulebooks clearly outline the specifications of all the equipment and manufacturers can compete to offer the best product at the lowest price. That's capitalism baby. But take Fencing for example - all the equipment - weapons, masks, jackets, knickers - are strictly specified within the FIE rulebook and multiple international companies around the world strive to meet those standards and earn that FIE certification. With IWuF, the company that has the contract is the only one that is certified. There's no specs, no weapons check prior to a tournament. Now here's the kicker - Tiger Claw and MartialArtsMart.com have been carrying regulation IWuF swords for years now. Over those years, the manufacturing contract has changed resulting in slight shifts in the weapons...because there are no specs.

Mind you, these weapons are only required for IWuF modern wushu competition. They don't affect other competitions like the World Traditionals.

And FWIW, the carbon-fiber staffs are not as bad as the graphite staffs that are all the rage in the Sport Karate circuits. I've nicknamed those 'glitter sticks'. They sell disturbingly well.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...or yuan perhaps.

By granting the exclusive contracts for these mandatory weapons, IWuF can line the pockets of the manufacturer. I guess that's how it's done in a communist nation. In a free market - LIKE WITH EVERY OTHER INTERNATIONAL SPORT - the rulebooks clearly outline the specifications of all the equipment and manufacturers can compete to offer the best product at the lowest price. That's capitalism baby. But take Fencing for example - all the equipment - weapons, masks, jackets, knickers - are strictly specified within the FIE rulebook and multiple international companies around the world strive to meet those standards and earn that FIE certification. With IWuF, the company that has the contract is the only one that is certified. There's no specs, no weapons check prior to a tournament. Now here's the kicker - Tiger Claw and MartialArtsMart.com have been carrying regulation IWuF swords for years now. Over those years, the manufacturing contract has changed resulting in slight shifts in the weapons...because there are no specs.

Mind you, these weapons are only required for IWuF modern wushu competition. They don't affect other competitions like the World Traditionals.

And FWIW, the carbon-fiber staffs are not as bad as the graphite staffs that are all the rage in the Sport Karate circuits. I've nicknamed those 'glitter sticks'. They sell disturbingly well.

I know that is how they work. It is the stuff that boycotts are made of.

And their excuse for them allowing the event to NOT check weapons....not gonna fly with me. I ALWAYS check weapons. Especially since the event in Arizona where one of the judges was pregnant and sitting there while a competitor did Dao. They did not check weapons.

The Dao came apart with a thrust....blade headed straight towards here and missed by a couple of feet (too close for me) and then went ****zing past me missing me by about 10 feet...with my back to it almost... and the competitor was in a nice Gung bu, arm extended, holding only the wood part of the Dao handle.

Also had an event where the competitor was doing spear.... did one thrust...and then there was a tap on the floor...spear head fell off. The head judge had asked a judge to inspect the weapons...and they didn't do that one because the knew the competitor. I looked at it...there had never been a screw in the spear head at all.

But...I LIKE the feel of a real wood staff...and how it absorbs your hand oil and gets better with time.

Nothing like good hard wood

Quote Originally Posted by GLW View Post
    But...I LIKE the feel of a real wood staff...and how it absorbs your hand oil and gets better with time.
    I feel ya there. I've played with metal staffs. Tiger Claw & MartialArtsMart.com used to carry them, but they were discontinued because they didn't sell well. I still have one. They were ribbed and textured for your pleasure (alright, for a better grip actually ) and could deliver a wallop. But I still prefer the response of a good wood staff.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart