Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu effective?

Kung Fu effective?

I'm 18 years old and was interested in learning kung fu, I had an interest in the mantis style. Anyways, I was just wondering if kung fu could really be applied to real life street fights? Do the techniques you learn really help you when the time comes? If so, how long would you say you have to be in Kung Fu before you learn how to defend yourself?

My friend was in karate his whole life and lost 5 teeth and got put in a hospital because the guy just tackled him and went for his face.

Just wondering if Kung Fu is really effective in real life situations and if i should invest my time in it.

Thanks, Nathan

walls spinning........can't breath................a light............. I see a light...............

Oh god the agony........................make it stop.............make it stop.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! make it stop.

blacking.............................out.......... ...................

can't.......................

hold.............................................. .........

on................................................ .................................................. ............................

Does Kung fu work!?

Of course kung fu works in a street fight. I wouldn't say any martial art worked 100% of the time, because the nature of a fight is so unpredictable. Someone could attack you while you're not looking, have a weapon, or jump you. The truth is the effectiveness of any martial art depends on the person training. If you only practice forms and no sparring or 2 man training exercises you don't develope a fighting instinct. and if you just go to class every once in a while you really can't expect to be a good fighter. Remember the only way to become a better fighter is to practice fighting.

So your friend that studied karate did he know he was going to get in a fight ( was there a arguent first or a preceeding confrontation) or was he sneak attacked.
    "All the skill in the world won't hold up to a real confrontation if you are too afraid to use it."

Yes, kung fu works. But no martial art teaches everything. Mantis is very effective but I would say the most important thing in any martial art is your instructor. How does the instructor approach kung fu? Do they concentrate on forms? Do they do two man drills? We he demonstrates a technique does he also demonstrate the appropriate amount of force and power to make the technique effective?

Just because a person studies a martial art doesn't mean they're a good fighter. I've seen several people that have studied an art for years but still wouldn't stand a chance in a real fight. Much of it depends on your willingness to mix it up and respond to violence with more violence. If you don't have the proper mindset then you're going to get your teeth knocked out evey time. It doesn't matter how many boards you can break or how high your flying kicks are.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox
    . Much of it depends on your willingness to mix it up and respond to violence with more violence. If you don't have the proper mindset then you're going to get your teeth knocked out evey time. It doesn't matter how many boards you can break or how high your flying kicks are.
    I agree with this statement I've been in class and Sifu taught us a tech. and I would hear some one say "that would hurt I could never do that to someone". people like that lack a fighting spirit and the mind set for combat.
    "All the skill in the world won't hold up to a real confrontation if you are too afraid to use it."

Tough guys are tough guys and whimps are whimps, no matter what they study.

My old teacher used to tell us " all this training gives you a little extra edge against an average fighter."
    Everybody has a plan, Til they get hit.

Of course Kung Fu can be effective in a fight. I've used it many times to great effect. It was created by people who were literally fighting for their lives after all. But, it all depends on the training and the individual. Some people just aren't good fighters and no amount of training will change that. At the Tien Shan Pai school I went to there was a brown sash student that I would regularly work over in sparring. His technique was flawless, but he couldn't fight to save his life. If you train hard with LOTS of sparring and have a fighting instinct you'll find Kung Fu to be very much worth your time.

You also can't neglect cross-training. Your friend did and look what it got him. If you find yourself in a street fight and start whooping up on somebody with your mad skills they will quickly realize they can't compete with you standing up and try to take you to the ground and overpower you. This is a virtual guarantee. This is where the dreaded grappling comes in. Every self-defense oriented person NEEDS grappling training.
    Last edited by Jun Fan; 03-30-2006 at 06:23 AM.

mind set

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Skill
    I agree with this statement I've been in class and Sifu taught us a tech. and I would hear some one say "that would hurt I could never do that to someone". people like that lack a fighting spirit and the mind set for combat.
    mind set and fighting spirit should also be taken care during your training.

SD is all dependent on the invidual and the situation. Awareness is also important.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox
    Yes, kung fu works. But no martial art teaches everything. Mantis is very effective but I would say the most important thing in any martial art is your instructor. How does the instructor approach kung fu? Do they concentrate on forms? Do they do two man drills? We he demonstrates a technique does he also demonstrate the appropriate amount of force and power to make the technique effective?

Just because a person studies a martial art doesn't mean they're a good fighter. I've seen several people that have studied an art for years but still wouldn't stand a chance in a real fight. Much of it depends on your willingness to mix it up and respond to violence with more violence. If you don't have the proper mindset then you're going to get your teeth knocked out evey time. It doesn't matter how many boards you can break or how high your flying kicks are.
    pretty much sums most of it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel
    walls spinning........can't breath................a light............. I see a light...............

Oh god the agony........................make it stop.............make it stop.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! make it stop.

blacking.............................out.......... ...................

can't.......................

hold.............................................. .........

on................................................ .................................................. ............................

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

wait for it......

waaait.........

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

god****, that was ****ing perfect!!!

Sucker

No matter what you learn, if a sucker punch/kick/tackle/whatever happens, you've been had. Those are things hard to recover from in time to save your @ss. So, what ever you learn, be aware that there is no art is 100%effective ...no matter what it is.
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Fan
    Of course Kung Fu can be effective in a fight. I've used it many times to great effect. It was created by people who were literally fighting for their lives after all. But, it all depends on the training and the individual.
    Not every style of kung fu was created during war time or for the need of constant self defense...I think that is nostalgic fantasy that a lot of people like to buy into. And even if they were, they were fighting for their lives hundreds and thousands of years ago... fighting for your life today is quite different.

Some people just aren't good fighters and no amount of training will change that.
    that is very true.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Xingyi, Mantis, Shaolin, Hung Gar, Eagle Claw, Tai Chi, Bagua and Wing Chun are all tried and tested street fighting arts.

I'm also 18, I've been in martial arts since I was 13 and I can say that Kung Fu has saved me on numerous occasions!
    Black Mantis

The problem with kung fu in general is that they usually don't spar realistically.

IMHO sparring realistically is having a really good fighter really trying to really take your head off. It's just a level of intensity you don't find in the dojo where people are trying specifically NOT to hurt each other.

It's not that KF doesn't work, it's that their training is not usually realistic. I don't know any other way to run into this except get into a real fight on the street against a good fighter. The closest thing might be to spar with some boxers.

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt
    It's just a level of intensity you don't find in the dojo where people are trying specifically NOT to hurt each other.
    its a level of intensity we call "fighting"

other than that, i agree.