Thread: Violence

Violence

Was thinking about violence last night, and how much of it you have to experience (dishing it out and receiving it) all in the name of improving your technique.

Was thinking about my master, and how many people he must've hurt ... and his master too.

I wasn't judging this, just kind of experienced violence flash across my face and knew, "That is all in the name of this thing that you're doing right now."

Was thinking about people's lineage, and that if they're producing fighters their lineage must also be violent too.

Defending oneself or another does not make the defender 'violent' as long as he does not use excessive force to overcome the violence being applied against him. This would also stand up in a court of law. Some factions of Buddhist defend themselves but practice non-violence. In a way a lot of violence is first in the mind and then gets converted into physical action. I do not train to be violent, but rather to not be a victim of someone else's violent nature and actions.
    ...ask for Kam
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Fool me once, then shame on you. Fool me twice, then shame on me"

I don't think that's what he's talking about. He's saying that in order to improveyhour technique, you must use what you know. I think that depends on your definition of violence, though. these days, you can step into a ring. I don't consider sanctioned fights as "violence" (even though it CAN be looked at as such, which is why I said it depends on your definition.)
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Definition and context are NB...he did say
    Was thinking about my master, and how many people he must've hurt ... and his master too.
    and
    Was thinking about people's lineage, and that if they're producing fighters their lineage must also be violent too.
    So perhaps he did and maybe not...he is the only one who can answer that.
    ...ask for Kam
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Fool me once, then shame on you. Fool me twice, then shame on me"

anyone involved in martial arts in any way shape or form should be well familiar with a little friendly violence. it would go a long way to de-pussify things.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    Was thinking about violence last night, and how much of it you have to experience (dishing it out and receiving it) all in the name of improving your technique.

I wasn't judging this, just kind of experienced violence flash across my face and knew, "That is all in the name of this thing that you're doing right now."

LOL

Life is a violent contract no matter how you look at it!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
    it would go a long way to de-pussify things.
    Now that's some funny $hit that pretty much nails it on the head.

Violence comes to those that seek violence. Those that live by violence die by violence. Unfortunately many in our society do not understand their actions and the aggressive manners in which they conduct themselves and their overinflated egos. This causes strife and it leads to violence. Fools parade themselves only to find out that they have wandered in too deep and now face that violence they thought they could control. It is not a game with rules and no consequences, it is very serious and the difference between life and death.

I try my best to embrace the violent nature of our existence in order to come to grips with the possibilities, but I practice peace first and foremost and I do not enjoy violence in the slightest. Trust your skill and your teacher, if you have to use your art then do so but to seek violence puts you in the same position as an aggressor.
    A unique snowflake

It is the nature of humans and animals to compete or defend and that usually boils down to violence.

It's up to you to decide when it is time to resort to violence. Sad to say, as a Buddhist, but there is a time and place for violence. Even if you aren't a violent person chances are you WILL deal with a violent person.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

"It is the nature of humans and animals to compete or defend and that usually boils down to violence."

No...it usually boils down to a courtroom in the case of humans. But seriously, we are not quite like animals with respect to our "nature." We are not creatures of instinct like animals are, we have higher faculties. You can't say to a judge "I beat this guy up because I wanted his girlfriend and couldn't control my instinct because it's mating season."

Anyway, to me, Martial Arts is not worth it if it's making you seek out violence (outside of a sport environment). Simply because you will sooner or later get seriously hurt. Why ask for it? What is so great about having MA skill that you would seek to put yourself in danger constantly?

Sure we can practice MA for the self-defense aspect. To me, though, hand-to-hand combat is the worst form of self-defense (it's the level of a confrontation that should be avoided at all costs....not hoped for). Once you've gotten that far, most likely you've already lost (in most cases the instigator will have the upper hand whether you know it or not). I know this is another discussion altogether but the focus should be on prevention more than what to do if it comes to actual contact. There are simply too many variables that make trading blows too dangerous.

For those who like to test their character by putting themselves in harms way (or through violence), I would remind you that our country is at war right now. Consider the armed forces.

Life Hurts

If all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. and vice versa