Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CLF differences between branches

Blog Entries

CLF differences between branches

ok i agree that a comparison of each branch and focus on some differences and similarities. and im going to put what we come up with here on the webpage, so those who participate can be proud of contributing.

so i wanted to start a discussion on what your observations of other branches and what they do or don't do that's different to your school.

For example, the horses between our branches vary even when it comes to the same exact horse. In Lau Bun's Branch the horse in a little wider than the shoulders and our tails are level with our knees. but i have seen in both the Buk Sing and Lee Koon Hung branches some very long and wide horses.

of course we notice that buk sing really focuses on getting the most out of a technique especially when they use their panther fists.

some schools do really low to the ground sweeps when others stay only mid level.

so you see where i'm going with this. so if you would like to see what we come up with posted up on my website for the world to see all branches working together lets jump on it.

hsk

Blog Entries
    another thing,

what do you do or your school does that you see others don't?

or even see things that they do and you wouldn't.

hsk

Blog Entries
    One obvious thing I notice is the difference between Bak Sing and Fut San Hung Sing vs. Chan Family is the that Chan Family uses the "double puhn kiuh" also known as "daat jeung, gok ahn." Maybe I am wrong about Fut San Hung Sing not using this technique but its like everywhere in the LKH forms.

Another thing I notice is the more blatant extension and whipping motion in Bak Sing. To me this looks very ugly, slow and a good way to hyper extend your joints. I've always been taught that everything should move together. Some parts may move in front of other parts but they all move in concert. Also, not too extended or you set yourself up for a joint lock.
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 04-04-2006 at 03:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    Double poon kiu is with palms facing up and thumbs facing outwards right?

sorry, chinese terminology is not my thing, but if it is the same on im thinking of then it is taught, the singapore hung sing does it as well.

but true, not too common.

Blog Entries
    Yep you got it.

Blog Entries
    ok then,

yeah its in the hung sing stuff, there should be a photo attached.

this is the one right?

Blog Entries
    the one thing i will focus on first is the basics like the different ways to execute a simple chop choy.

another thing i've noticed when some schools execute the cum jeung but use it as a palm strike they usually go straight like a push. but in our school its always used to crush with intead of a push.

hsk

Blog Entries
    how many have seen the Movie Tom Yum Goong?

there is a lot of stuff and the he executes elbows and such just like the way we do in our school. theres even a part where one guy threw hella punches and Tony Jaa using both hands one after another started slapping down his hands, thats's how we use it as well, and was what my si-suk gung Kenneth used against bruce lee.

But fu pow, in real life application how would "YOU" use the double Poon Kiu's?
    can you come up with any other applications for it?

hsk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior
    ok then,

yeah its in the hung sing stuff, there should be a photo attached.

this is the one right?
    No, sorry that's not it. That is called double yeung kiuh or mirror hand. Double puhn kiuh has the hands doing different things that's why it could also be called "dat jeung, gok an."

FP

Blog Entries
    ok here is something that i've been keeping under my hat because to me its a step above the average fu jow (tiger Claw).

now you know one of my favorite hand shapes is the tiger claw. but this is why the buk sing kwoon is so well known for their fighting.

there is an old man in China who is around like 97-98 years old. he was one of the older students of Tam Sam like Lun Chee is. this man only calls his school hung sing kwoon because that was the name of his teachers (Tam Sam) school was.

anyway, my sifu was shown and new hand to us called "FU SAU" which is just like the tiger claw except that the thumb is not used to tear, the thumb is more like a brace that goes under the chin while your fingers reach out and tear the face.

in the photo attached the inside part of the thumb is what i'm talking about.

hsk

Blog Entries
    so fu pow what are the hands doing then?

we may just call it something else thats why im asking.

hsk

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    is this stuff being put on a site now, or are you getting all the input now, and then going to put it up later?

Blog Entries
    rick this is the drawing board and all is welcome to add their input. ultimately i am going to decipher everything anyway with my POV, but e'rayones observations are welcome.

then i will add it to the 3 families history site.

hsk

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Fu-Pow mentioned how he did not care for the whipping, na d full extension of Buk-Sing. I have studeied a smatterring of Chan family ,which seems to have a definate Hung flavor-shorter, more powerful appearance, but I really like the Buk-Sing's openness. It has a "lighter" feel-hard to explain, but I have seen it played and it has a feeling of continuous flow,like Tai-Chi (not slow, or soft looking, just fluid) and it ihas great running and leaking skills, not to mention a charp choy that will hit you from 6 feet away. It is interesting to see two people play these different family styles side by side. Not to see which is better, but to appreciate the development and diversity of the systems.
    Is there any footage of these forms being done? If at all possible could it be put on yourtube or puterfile, as my pc doesnt seem to show aol media-it crashes.

Blog Entries
    10-t,

yeah i agree. but the one thing i've noticed is that the buk sing and hung sing disciples approach their clf with the intentions of hurting someone.

buk sing has things like "the flying panther punch" which is devestating if executed properly.

but can you imagine if the today's top choy lee fut masters of all three branches came together for an intensive study to sift thru it all and extrapulate the best of all three branches?

but, each branch even in the same school has slight differences because each individual will add in what works best for them. for example, sifu george may be a big guy and because of that he will focus on things that work for him. that then gets transmitted and after a few students it will become the norm, while sifu george's classmate sifu fred is a lot smaller, quicker, and a little more fiesty due to his size. so he will pass on that type of mentality and his students will pick that up. and unfortunatley that will lead to a few different ways even in your own school to be formed.

my sifu watches me teach, and has made comments that frank does his gung fu his way, and i have mine.

thats the great thing about gung fu. my sifu gave me the tools, and taught me to make Choy Lee Fut "mine" so i developed my method of usage based on my own body type, what types of techniques i feel suit me better, and so on.

we really do need to bring choy lee fut together.

frank