Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aids?

Aids?

Curious, Would you teach someone who has AIDS?/Work out with someone who has AIDS?

If anyone does please tell us your experience.
    Everybody has a plan, Til they get hit.

Sure. Why not?

I don't think sparring full contact would be a wise choice due to the risk of blood being let, but standard workout is no barrier.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I would train them to hit bags, mitts, and such, but I would not engange in any kind of contact drills.

I get blood on me sometimes just from light rolling-- scraped toes, bloody noses, busted lips, torn scabs, ripped fingernails...the chance of exposure is just too great for me.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Blood
    Seminal and vaginal fluid
    the fluid in your joints
    and breast milk

carry the HIV virus

Saliva
    sweat
    urine
    and fecal matter

by them selves do not carry the virus

It shouldn't be a problem, but you should educate yourself about the virus for your own piece of mind.

Still i can understand some trepidation.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Exclamation don't discriminate

david is right that you could not do any type of sparring, but with training there is no way to transmit by just accidentally touching his/her sweat. Blood is the only way and though it needs to be their blood going into an open wound of yours, this should not happen if you are cautious. Everybody needs to be given a chance. But I have never heard of a case where people are sparring and getting AIDS that way. There are few ways to transmit it, and other than sex and needle use with drugs or blood exchange, there are far fethced ideas that culd happen like Adabezie's ***** method. But be cautious and you can certainly train people with aids. A doctor's opinion on this would also be vital.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Semper fi

How is old Cherry point doing? I was stationed at Lejeune 1/8.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

What I said on the other thread

As far as AIDS goes, I pretty much feel the same. Forms and other solo work would be fine but we regularly draw blood with our two person...nothing serious: scratches, busted noses and lips, ripped fingernails.

But, where to start? Have a questionaire? You'd need to cover everything else...hepatitas? mad cow disease?

I work with OSHA regs on Bloodborne Pathogens and deal with all types of body fluid on a daily basis.

Maybe martial arts schools are a little behind the times as far as all that goes but I think we'd be looking at discrimination issues if we said they could do one aspect but not the other.

Anyone know how this is handled in pro boxing? the Olympics?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

if i were an aids patient i would train with other aids patients or i would shadowbox/do forms.

the guilt i would have of infecting someone else would simply not be worth the risk. there are too many variables.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldphoenix
    Curious, Would you teach someone who has AIDS?/Work out with someone who has AIDS?

If anyone does please tell us your experience.
    It depends on if they're gay or not.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

pro boxing disallows aids victims from participating.

olympics disallows it in contact sport venues.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Chiefox

So you are saying, that you are looking for date?

DJ, you're usually correct I think on facts like this. so...it seems as if you could get sued but if pro boxing and especially the Olympics have set the precedent that there IS a danger to other people by allowing someone with AIDS to participate in contact sports then you probably wouldn't have to worry about losing the case if you decided that you didn't want to chance it.

what about lepers?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Oso

The only problem with lepers is that you have to contend with flying body parts. It is very annoying when a nose goes flying across the room thus momentarily distracting you and your opponent takes this split secong to take you out while watching his nose fly into the changing room.

that was the mental picture.

trying to remember the Monty Python skit....

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldphoenix
    So you are saying, that you are looking for date?
    Ummmm, uhhhhhh, hmmmmm...never mind.

Good one.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/