Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aids?

My master makes everyone wear gloves when we train. He doesn't mind being bruised, he doesn't want to be scratched. If you're pushing hands, use a pair of clean socks like arm condoms.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat

...and some of those dirty buggers almost certainly had HIV.

If they bleed, don't swallow it!

Little cuts on someone with HIV are not going to transmit it unless they are rubbed into your little cuts, you ingest it etc... I think people are far too sensitive aboutt his, and the boxing ban is just for show.

On a side note, things like hep are far more contagious.
    true but I've certainly had blood from other folks on my skin while I've had open cuts...even in day to day work I had a situation where me and another guy were trying to get a big motor out of a fan unit, it slipped and both our hands got cut bad enough that by the time we were able to get the motor lifted back up and get our hands out, you couldn't tell who's blood was on who. that was actually kind of funny as we first thought our arms were stuck and two a third party observer we were in a somewhat compromising postition.

Hep is certainly more contagioius.

For a school owner, or a large organization like the IOC, it becomes a liability issue.

I may be wrong but as the owner, if you allow someone with a potentially lethal contagious disease to engage in contact events that have a risk of transmission, no matter how small, then you become liable.

JP????
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    My master makes everyone wear gloves when we train. He doesn't mind being bruised, he doesn't want to be scratched. If you're pushing hands, use a pair of clean socks like arm condoms.
    Gloves with velcro straps can scratch the hell out of your arms, especially if you do a lot of pummeling. My arms have been scratched up enough during pummling drills that blood transmission would be a concern for me.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Oso

I may be wrong but as the owner, if you allow someone with a potentially lethal contagious disease to engage in contact events that have a risk of transmission, no matter how small, then you become liable.

Then maybe you could not teach someone in a school setting. or atleast sets only for them/no contact at all type drills.

If what you are saying is true then that is interesting. Never actually thought of it that way.

All the feed back has been good.
    Everybody has a plan, Til they get hit.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    then there's the other side of the coin: What obligation would you or I as school owner have to notify the rest of the students? I'm not sure exactly what the laws are against discriminating against someone with HIV/AIDS but I'm sure there are some.

I don't think you can discriminate agianst HIV/AIDS in employment but I'm not sure...haven't ever run across that yet.

For me, it's pretty settled, if the IOC and whatever the top boxing association is have ruled that HIV/AIDS victims can't participate in contact sports then I'd probably try to follow that lead. But, that pretty much means that in my two hour class someone could only really participate in the first and last 30 minutes.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    Gloves with velcro straps can scratch the hell out of your arms, especially if you do a lot of pummeling. My arms have been scratched up enough during pummling drills that blood transmission would be a concern for me.
    We use cotton gloves, like what you'd wear to do some yard work.

Like those japanese cab driver mickey mouse gloves
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

I don't think I want to be stuck to anyone with blood, AIDS or no!

Anyway, as for liability I think you have to make it public in the UK but I don't think this is ever harshly enforced because of protection of privacy. It's double-edged I guess.

Certainly if you tell the class someone has AIDS I guess it's up to the individual wants to train with them. For me, I would. If I'm wearing long training pants and long sleeves there's less chance of getting cut, and at breaks you can always check. Of course, if somebody's badly cut and bleeding all over the place it's no go, but I would rather think so AIDS or no again.

here's what i would do...

firstly, i would contact my attorney.

second, i would most likely offer an interested party the opportunity to enroll in private lessons at the open-class price. hopefully, this would be accepted.

as far as what i know on liability... persons with aids ARE protected by an ammendment to the constitution. for example, i am a real estate agent. if i am selling a person's home who is infected and i tell a potential buyer that information, and they back out (or even if they don't) then i could get in serious trouble. however, protection only goes so far. people with aids aren't allowed to give blood and hospitals don't get sued for discrimination, so i imagine that you wouldn't be liable in a situation where blood is a potential hazard. on the other hand, you may find trouble in disclosing to other students that one student is infected. that IS most likely going to be the groundwork for a lawsuit.

again, call an attorney.
    "...it is a lovely language, but it takes a long time to say aything in it...
    ...we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and listen to..."