Thread: horse riding stance vs fensing steps

horse riding stance vs fensing steps

So I was watching the Jet Li's new movie "Huo Yuan Jia"

I like the fight scenes on the 6 story high Lei Tai.

Zhao was on a horse stance and said I landed my feet and grew roots or Luo Di Shen Gen.

Jet Li was moving a lot and attacked at different angle.

I know it is just a movie.

Just for the fun of it.

Which you stress more?

Stay put and fight off everything on the same spot.

or moving around a lot with light steps and strikes at different angles ?

Pros and cons.

Doesn't it depend on your particular attributes. Can you move fast and accurately while staying rooted in your stances? Are you a rock who can counter-effectively? Styles are built around this question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Although I've never studied japanese sword, i've always liked the idea of stillness attack stillness, and i tend to adopt that style often.

I wait for my opportunity, i make my "point", then am still again. I don't like to waste energy dancing around my opponent. I'm all for moving around my opponet in an effort to evade, block, counter, and attack, but the movement must have purpose. If I'm not attacking and he's not attacking why waste the energy. I don't feel that I plant my feet, but neither do I work the angles as much as I should.

I'm not saying my method is better, it's just the way i like it. I feel it has a kind of poetry to it.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

some discussion about the movie in the other forum.

http://www.emptyflower.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1144391478

Mobility is everything.

I tend not to move around too much when I spar, but that is just because I need to work on my footwork. I think it is important to be able to move, or to hol dyour ground as the situation dictates.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

We move all the time so as not to give the opponent anything fixed.

Depends on how my opponant is fighting. Yin/yang thing. If they are dancin', I stay still 'cept to keep myself more or less squared with them. If they are inclined to stay still, I move. Don't really dance, though. I prefer a cat-like stalking type movement. I try not to get out of root either way, though. I loose my root, I fall down at the smallest hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it