Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haikido

Hapkido

Hapkido? I am not sure of the spelling, but what is it? What is its place in MA? A studio just opened by me.
    Last edited by RUFNTUFGIRL; 04-21-2006 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spelling

hapkido. It's a korean martial art that is like a mix of tkd, judo and jujutsu. As far as it's "place in ma," I'm not sure what you mean...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by RUFNTUFGIRL
    Haikido? I am not sure of the spelling, but what is it? What is its place in MA? A studio just opened by me.
    There is "Aikido" or as 7* said, "Hapkido". Both are Japanese arts, and in my understanding, one internal and the other external, in that order.

Seven, can you confirm or correct?

TuG.
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

Thank you,it is Hapkido. I meant its country of origin, which you said, is Korea. I also wasn't sure if it was mostly taught for self-defense techs., instead of the MA itself.

I thought Hapkido was Korean Aikido?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I believe Hapkido is what's seen on the Billy Jack films. Bong Soo Han plays his teacher in the second one from what I recall.
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

Hapkido may be related to Aikido but they look nothing a like in practice.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    I thought Hapkido was Korean Aikido?
    yudo is korean judo, but I've never heard of hapkido as being korean aikido. However, I've been wrong before. One of the better judo coaches in my city also teaches tkd and hapkido. And what I've seen of his hapkido is judo and tkd with some standing joint lock training. I guess principle wise, it could have a similarity to aikido, as they did talk of blending with the aggressor's force and not resisting it, but it didn't look like aikido, and judo teaches that also...

EDIT: I just looked up hapkido on wikipedia. Says there that hapkido's founder while in japan became the adopted son of sokaku takeda - daito ryu guy who also taught morihei ueshiba. So maybe it's korean aikijutsu, not aikido.
    Last edited by SevenStar; 04-17-2006 at 08:29 AM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I've done a bit of hapkido... It's related to Akido in some way historically. I think the founder of Hapkido suposedly studied with Ueshiba's teacher when he was his house servant. Then later added other martial arts influences.

It's got lots of locking and throwing techniques, and quite a few good kicks too. Hand striking techniques are fairly basic compared to some other styles out there, but they're fairly practical. Most of the ones I learned were taught to be used from a relaxed position... like if you're just standing around hanging out and someone decides to attack you.

Hapkido is in fact Korean for Aikido (indeed, just as Korean for Kiai is Kihap). As with most modern Korean arts it has a heavy Japanese influence, and the Koreans seem quite keen on "retro history", so it's true origin is probably a little debateable. In appearance, if you could imagine Yoshinkan Aikido with TKD and some weapons, you'd be about there. Many schools do a lot of stuff on "directing Ki" as well
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Thank you, that is why I was wondering about it taught for self-defense. I thought it was instructed from a relaxed position.

Hapkido vs. Aikido

Hapkido is to Tom McLaughlin as Aikido is to Steven Seagal.

That is funny!

Even funnier...The owner called me today and explained Hapkido as what Steven Seagal does.
    I asked the difference and he said he instructs TKD and teaches Hapkido for self defense in a combat form. I don't know when TKD came into the equation?

Video

- 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE