Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: United States Sports Academy & Shaolin

United States Sports Academy & Shaolin

Academy looks to begin Kung Fu Certification

DAPHNE, Ala. – The President of Russia and the President of the United States Sports Academy have a common heritage, and both have visited their roots in the past couple of months.

Vladimir Putin has a black belt in judo. The Russian chief executive visited China recently and paid a visit to the Shaolin Temple where he met The Abbot, Shi Yong Xin, leader of the Shaolin Temple Buddhists and master of Kung Fu. Kung Fu is considered to be the “mother of all martial arts.” USSA President Thomas P. Rosandich, a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, met with The Abbot two months ago and is now developing a nine-part certification program to teach Kung Fu through the Academy.

The Abbot and his certified Kung Fu instructors will be appearing at the United States Sports Academy graduation at the Admiral Semmes in Mobile, Alabama 22 July to be presented with an international honorary doctorate. The Abbot traveled to Hollywood in April to produce a nine-part television documentary on Shaolin Kung Fu.

Shaolin Kung-Fu refers to the traditional cultural system that has been formed in the particular Buddhist cultural environment in the Shaolin Temple over its long history. Shaolin Kung-Fu boasts a history of more than 1,500 years. It is based on a belief in the supernatural power of Buddhism and fully reflects the wisdom of Chan Buddhism. The martial arts practiced by the monks in the Shaolin Temple are its major form of _expression. It is a system of skills and knowledge which is transmitted from its masters to it acolytes in a strict and systematic manner.

Shaolin Kung-Fu is the centuries-long result of the Shaolin monks’ efforts to create a practical martial arts system closely integrated with the study of Buddhism and Chan Buddhism in particular. The result is a huge and well-developed technical system as opposed to the many “schools” or “boxing styles” of other martial arts forms. The Chinese martial arts are complex in structure and rich in many schools, and even sects, but according to historical records, Shaolin Kung-Fu is that preeminent sect that boasts a long history, and a complete spiritual, physical and intellectual system, which is accompanied by the mastery of many complex and difficult skills.

Shaolin Kung Fu has a cultural meaning that transcends combative martial arts. It is characterized by a belief in supernatural power and the pursuit thereof. The ability to control the body with the mind extends beyond physical self-defense and combat. A public demonstration of Kung Fu by the Abbot is being planned for graduation week.
    Ok I really don' twant to miss his demonstration

There are three principles of Kung Fu: meditation, Chinese medicine and combative drills.

“The monks can do a hand stand on one finger,” Rosandich said. Another demonstration the USSA president witnessed was of a monk balancing on swords without piercing the skin.

Buddhists monks follow the purist of principles. The five principles of Shaolin are: Do not kill any animal or fish (all monks are vegetarian ); Do not steal; Practice celibacy; Do not lie; and Do not drink alcohol. These principles are instilled in them at an early age , as most are selected for this type of service at age 3 or 5.

The Kung Fu certification program developed by the Academy will not be the first of its kind for the Academy. The leaders of Tae Kwon Do in Korea and Judo leaders in Japan have asked the Academy to develop certification programs for their martial arts as well. Do I smell some $$$$$ ?

The United States Sports Academy, “America’s Sport University,” is an independent, nonprofit institution that offers sport-specific programs to students, teachers, and administrators around the world. The Academy has a special mission to serve the sports industry as a resource in instruction, research, and other vital sports-related services. It is the only freestanding institution of higher learning in the United States offering bachelors, masters and doctoral degrees in Sport Science and Sport Management, in addition to its extensive certification programs.

hey xiao!

I got this 'press release' in my email today too. I debated posting it, but decided to just file it for now, because it was so odd. Does anyone know anything about the United States Sports Academy? Here's their website: http://www.ussa.edu. It's the first I've heard of them.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hey Gene,

No idea about that Academy but don't we all become a bit tired of that kind of bull**** ? It doesn't matter how much they (and we) are talking about it. If nobody practise, the little (original ) stuff that is still around will disappear anyway..

tired of bs?

Never! Shaolin BS has been going on for several centuries. If you have an issue with it, you should study another style. Maybe MMA is more towards your liking.

Seriously, I thought things were getting a little boring around Shaolin lately and have been waiting for some good controversies to stir the pot. To be honest, it's one of the things I enjoy about Shaolin. It keeps you on your toes. No resting on 1500 years of laurel leaves. The old stuff won't disappear as long as you and I (and hopefully a few others) are practicing it. You are practicing the old stuff, right? So no worries. Have no fear.

What I find really interesting about this is:
    The Kung Fu certification program developed by the Academy will not be the first of its kind for the Academy. The leaders of Tae Kwon Do in Korea and Judo leaders in Japan have asked the Academy to develop certification programs for their martial arts as well.
    First of all, aren't there already formal certification programs for TKD and Judo? I also find clumping kung fu with the two Olympic martial arts very interesting. This is why I'm curious about who this academy is.

There have been many attempts to formalize academic certification on the MA and PhD level for martial arts and they'll all come out kind of odd. Of course, academic degrees exists in PRC. I'm not sure that it's viable in the west. In PRC, with such a degree, you can get a job. In the west, why would such a degree be of any more value than the kind og certifications that are passed down already today? I can't imagine that such a degree would have any weight anywhere beyond the institution that issued it. So whatever kung fu program might be established at USSA, I highly doubt it will have much of an effect on our practice at all. TaeBo had a greater impact than this probably will.

Is anyone else tripping on the acronym? USSA reminds me so much of USSD. Maybe the Abbot has a thing for USS*? Maybe I should start a new org - USSG - and get some 'official' Shaolin endorsement?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It's DOCTOR abbot to you!

Abbot Shi Yongxin Receives Honorary Doctorate, Hosts Kung Fu Seminar at the Academy

Abbot Shi Yongxin will receive an International Honorary Doctorate from the United States Sports Academy for leading a rebirth of Shaolin Kung Fu throughout the world and for his contributions to sports and culture. The Abbot and the Academy are developing a 10-part certification program to teach Kung Fu.

The Abbot will also host a Kung Fu Seminar with 10 of the best Kung Fu disciples in the world.

The public is invited to attend all events below free of charge. Please call (251) 626-3303 to reserve a seat.

Kung Fu students will earn a certificate by participating in the Kung Fu Seminar (2 CEUs) for $50. Click here to register.

Cultural Event - Rick Rush Art Show honoring Abbot Shi Yongxin
    When: 9 November 2006 5:00 – 7:00 PM
    Where: Academy Campus

Abbot Shi Yongxin International Honorary Doctorate Presentation and Kung Fu Demonstration
    When:10 November 2006 10:00 AM-Noon
    Where: Academy Campus

Kung Fu Seminar and Demonstration
    When:11 November 2006 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM 1:30 – 4:30 PM
    Where: Daphne Civic Center
    Steve Demasco, an Academy national faculty member, is the master of ceremonies.
    While you're at it, check out USSA's artist Charles Billich and his Shaolin series. Just glancing at those prices, I know I'm in the wrong freaking business when it comes to Shaolin.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The seminars were cancelled

Apparently, because the Abbot was part of a Chinese delegation, there was some security issue with the seminars, so they have been cancelled.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

facejug

'Eco-bling' coastal campaign still going strong
    Published: Sunday, December 19, 2010, 5:00 AM
    Thomas B. Harrison, Press-Register By Thomas B. Harrison, Press-Register

ARTNOTES: Fairhope ceramic artist John Rezner, well known for his distinctive “face jugs,” will receive a Distinguished Service Award from the United States Sports Academy. The award will be presented at 5 p.m. Jan. 6 during the reception for the Academy’s annual art show.

The Distinguished Service Award is given annually to individuals who have made outstanding contributions to national or international sports through instruction, research or service.

A member of the Academy’s art committee, Rezner created a face jug shaped with an individual’s facial features of the Abbot of the Shaolin Temple, leader of millions of Shaolin Buddhists.

“I presented (the jug) as a symbol of our two cultures merging,” Rezner says in a news release.

The jug is in China as part of the Shaolin Temple’s collection. The Abbot received it when he visited the USSA campus in 2006 to receive an honorary doctorate.

Rezner recently was commissioned to make face jugs of famous baseball players for the Academy’s “Mr. Baseball” campaign, a worldwide online vote to name a new baseball statue to be erected at the Academy in 2011.
    I did a cursory search for a facejug pic but failed.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I never saw this thread before today, but it's a funny coincidence, as my dad is very good friends with Rosandich, and has taught seminars in European Team Handball around the world for over 40 yrs. through USSA; as far as the organization itself, USSA is very legit, and Rosandich has made it his business to gladhand globally to get it there; and there is definitely a lot of $ involved - for example, back in the 70's, he was making overtures to the Saudis, Kuwaitis and Bahrainis, and probably had a good deal to do w the development of their current sporting infrastructure (my dad ran clinics in all of those countries; when I was ~8, he took me and my mom along to Bahrain for 6 weeks, which was an interesting experience to say the least...);

Gene, if you ever wanted an intro for some reason (e.g. - magazine article), that would be no problem...

Thanks tgy, but what I really want is a pic of the abbot facejug

We didn't really report on the Abbot's doctorate save for an odd follow-up news piece in our 2007 March/April issue: World Leader to Use Football as a Cultural Activity By Mark Stevens, which was about the USSA thing. I hadn't heard any more until this facejug story.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    We didn't really report on the Abbot's doctorate save for an odd follow-up news piece in our 2007 March/April issue: World Leader to Use Football as a Cultural Activity By Mark Stevens, which was about the USSA thing. I hadn't heard any more until this facejug story.
    I'll see if I can get one from Tom; actually, that's one of the cool things about USSA - they sponsor a lot of sports artists, and have on-going shows to highlight various talents (my parents go to these "gala" openings" from time to time)

I shuddered when i read ur comparison of USSA to USSD - lol, like comparing apples to a burst appendix (oops, I better watch it, their lawyers may be adding that comment to the list...)

The Philosophy of Shaolin Kung Fu (CEB 205)

This relates to our 1st Shaolin Summit & SANA thread.
    New Kung Fu Course Online Tells Secrets of Shaolin
    14 June 2011

For the past year, the United States Sports Academy has been working with his Holiness Abbot Shi Yongxin and the Shaolin Temple to develop a course that introduces Shaolin philosophy and history to people online across the globe.

Now anyone interested in learning more about the unique and respected practices and philosophy of this ancient Chinese system can begin taking “The Philosophy of Shaolin Kung Fu” (CEB 205) continuing education course, which was made available Monday, June 13.

The core text for the new course derives from the newly translated English version, “Shaolin Kung Fu Secrets,” which is from a 1,500-year-old manuscript that Abbot Shi Yongxin gave to the Academy during his visit in November 2006 to receive his honorary doctorate. By using the five books of ancient Chan teachings provided so graciously by his Holiness, who is the spiritual leader of 400 million Chan Buddhists, the Academy has developed an online format to present these important teachings on key tenets of Shaolin philosophy.

Academy President and CEO Thomas P. Rosandich said that the university is indebted to the Abbot for making this cultural treasure available and for his blessings on this project. In addition, the translation of the manuscript from ancient Chinese and the development of the course was made possible by American Grandmaster Steve DeMasco of Concord, N.H.

“By unlocking this ancient Shaolin knowledge for people around the globe, we are exposing them to a time-tested and world respected philosophy,” Rosandich said. “It is my sincere hope that the collaboration between the Academy and Abbot Shi Yongxin will advance the Shaolin Temple goal of promoting dialog and cultural exchange among people around the world, helping them to overcome their differences, find harmony and live healthy, balanced lives.”

The course costs $200 and students who complete it will receive a Certificate of Completion signed by His Holiness. In this course, you will cover:

Spiritual Foundations – the many facets of the religious history and development of the Shaolin Temple;
    Shaolin Ethics – the importance of developing a strong and moral character for Shaolin training;
    Qigong – the practice of learning to focus and control internal energy called qi (or chi);
    Meditation – learning to calm and order the mind;
    Chinese Medicine – acupuncture, acupressure, and nutrition for a healthy body;
    Physical Training – the martial art practice and strengthening exercises; and
    Shaolin Today and How it Applies to You – where the Shaolin Temple and Philosophy fit into today’s global society and how understanding this philosophy and history can benefit you.

After completing this course, you should have a greater understanding of the history, development, and elements that comprise the Shaolin philosophy. Also, you should be able to apply principles from the teachings to your personal and professional life.

For enrollment information, contact the registrar at (251) 626-3303.
    I'm changing the title of this thread from "U.s. Sports Academy To Honor Buddhist Abbot With Honorary Doctorate" to "United States Sports Academy & Shaolin"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This relates to our 1st Shaolin Summit & SANA thread.

I'm changing the title of this thread from "U.s. Sports Academy To Honor Buddhist Abbot With Honorary Doctorate" to "United States Sports Academy & Shaolin"
    I'm gonna c if he'll let me take the course for free; mayb I'll even review it, lol!

This is more of an informercial than an article

But it's reported in the Taipei Times, so that's worthy of note.

Anyone know anyone who has graduated from this course?
    Sat, May 19, 2012 - Page 19 
    US academy offers online course on Shaolin kung fu
    By Cobus du Plessis / Staff Reporter

Those intrigued by the secrets of Shaolin kung fu now have the opportunity to study its mysteries in the comfort of their own home.

The US Sports Academy in Daphne, Alabama, has been working with the Shaolin Temple in China’s Henan Province to develop a course on the 1,500-year history and philosophy of Shaolin.

Shaolin Temple Abbot Shi Yongxin gave his blessing to the course during a more than three-hour meeting in Dengfeng, Henan Province, with academy vice president T.J. Rosandich and Shaolin Temple general manager Qian Daliang.

The online, continuing education course — “The Philosophy of Shaolin Kung Fu” — derives its core text from a newly translated English version of a Chinese manuscript, Shaolin Kung Fu Secrets, which the abbot presented to the academy during a visit in November 2006 to receive an honorary doctorate.

Also drawing on five books on Chan Buddhist teachings provided by the abbot, who is vice chairman of the Buddhist Association of China and a representative of China’s Ninth National People’s Congress, the academy has developed an online format to present key tenets of Shaolin philosophy.

The course, which costs US$200, offers students who finish it a certificate of completion signed by Shi and academy president Thomas P. Rosandich. The course covers qigong, meditation, Chinese medicine, martial art practice and strengthening exercises, as well as spirituality and history. It also touches on the effect the political situation in China has had on the development of the Shaolin Temple and its philosophy.

For more information, visit the academy’s Web site, www.ussa.edu, or e-mail admissions@ussa.edu.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I could probably take it for free, I'll ask my dad to talk to Tom, lol...

I don't get it. Why is it $200? What would graduation from this get you? How would this course pay for itself?

If something like this is just to educate people on Shaolin history and philosophy, it should rather be free than $200. Just publish the info online like other Buddhist resources.