Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: United States Sports Academy & Shaolin

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    I don't get it. Why is it $200? What would graduation from this get you? How would this course pay for itself?

If something like this is just to educate people on Shaolin history and philosophy, it should rather be free than $200. Just publish the info online like other Buddhist resources.
    There's no graduation for this, you get a certificate. It probably wouldn't get you anything per se, except that if you are a PE teacher and need to complete a certain quota of CE credits, this would satisfy the requirement.

The reason it's not free is because USSA is a private, for-profit institution.

Bearing in mind also, that most people who take courses through them are middle-America types who wouldn't know from a Buddhist website if it hit them in the head...

You should do it, tgy!

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    I could probably take it for free, I'll ask my dad to talk to Tom, lol...
    We'd all respect you so much more if you had proper credentials.

Seriously, we'd be interested to know your thoughts on the course from the inside.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Bearing in mind also, that most people who take courses through them are middle-America types who wouldn't know from a Buddhist website if it hit them in the head...
    Any Buddhist monastery or temple in "middle-America" usually offers courses and resources for free (or a donation).

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    Any Buddhist monastery or temple in "middle-America" usually offers courses and resources for free (or a donation).
    that's fine, they are Buddhist Temples, it's part of their precepts, and they are supported by donation, as well as being tax-exempt; AFAIK, USSA is a for-profit institution (I can double check on that though), and, again, offers certificates that satisfy things like continuing professional education for PE teachers, who get CE $ from their places of employment to spend at places like USSA;

also, we all know how mercenary the Shaolin Temple™ is these days - no way they would pony-up the goods (Abbot-signed certificate, for example) w/out there being some ˘a$h in it for them...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    We'd all respect you so much more if you had proper credentials.
    isn't it enough that I am certifiable?

Seriously, we'd be interested to know your thoughts on the course from the inside.
    let me see what I can get going...

I'm In!

I contacted the USSA and will be speaking to a representative Monday morning. $200 is chump change for a CEU and the subject sounds interesting.

I will keep you posted on what I find out and the quality of the course.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

You guys rock!

let me see what I can get going...
    Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    I contacted the USSA and will be speaking to a representative Monday morning. $200 is chump change for a CEU and the subject sounds interesting.

I will keep you posted on what I find out and the quality of the course.
    Looking forward to your reports on this here, gentleman. You are now official forum moles. Stay cool and don't blow your cover.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Looking forward to your reports on this here, gentleman. You are now official forum moles. Stay cool and don't blow your cover.
    well, spoke to my dad to talk to Rosandich about a freebie - let's see what happens...

Slightly OT

Shaolin monk pursues doctorate in Hong Kong
    2014-08-08 08:39chinadaily.com.cnWeb Editor: Wang Fan

A monk at the Shaolin Temple in Henan province will take up an offer from the University of Hong Kong to begin studying toward a doctorate degree on Sept 1, Orient Today reported on Wednesday.

Shi Yanzheng, a 29-year-old monk has studied abroad for eight years, showing his passion for Buddhism and his respect of the Shaolin Temple, which has about 1,500 years of history.

"I like the peaceful life here, which makes me happy indeed. I first chose Shaolin because of its Kung Fu but I am also inspired by here to pursue further education," Shi said.

Shi Yongxin, the temple's abbot, said there are 300 monks at Shaolin Temple, about half of whom are younger than 35. Two-thirds of them study religion, philosophy and other subjects, he said, and it is not unusual for a monk to earn a doctorate degree, the report said.

From 2006, Shi Yangzheng studied at the Buddhist College of Singapore for about 5 years, and achieved a high score in the International English Language Testing System during that time. He then earned a master's degree in religion from the University of Hong Kong.

He was invited to return to the University of Hong Kong this year to pursue a doctorate degree.

He continues to meditate, practice Kung fu and read every day.

"My mother insisted that I focus on improving myself," Shi said.

Shi said his decision to become a monk was strongly opposed by his family when he was a student at Fuyang Normal College in Anhui province. However, his family members understood his choice as time went on, he said.

"The experience of studying abroad broadened my horizons," Shi said. " I also plan to learn Sanskrit, the primary liturgical language of Buddhism, in the future."
    Wait...PhD in what exactly?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

PhD in buddhism , what else? I think he's the abbot's asst who took over the other guy's role. He's probably the only shaolin guy there who has the most education that the other guys will ever have. most of them don't have much of an education at all.

The next wave is more educated

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDiva View Post
    PhD in buddhism , what else?
    History, Religion, Martial Arts, there are plenty of other topics that might be relevant. I seem to recall a few more monks that have higher educations, something the Abbot has been promoting with his newer disciples. Doesn't Shi Yanyin have an advanced degree of some sort? But you're right, SD, the article implies that he is continuing to pursue Buddhism in Singapore.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDiva View Post
    PhD in buddhism , what else? I think he's the abbot's asst who took over the other guy's role. He's probably the only shaolin guy there who has the most education that the other guys will ever have. most of them don't have much of an education at all.

A PhD in Buddhist Studies is not unheard of. The Lopon, Acharya, Lharampa degree designation is somewhat in those circles.