Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiger Claw brand Feiyue

Feiyue Shoes

Do the monks in shaolin run in their Feiyue shoes? They are quite thin soled. Would you not suffer injuries if you did this?

Just curious!

I know so

Tens of thousands of Shaolin students run in Feiyue shoes every morning, and that includes the few hundred monks that are there too. They do a lot of corss country running. For most of the students, a pair of feiyues is all that they own, so it's their running shoe, their training shoe and their street shoe.

Don't beleive the hype. In many third world cultures, people run in all sorts of crappy shoes. Some even run barefoot. It's the natural way, really. Of course, my feet are so tender from a lifetime of wearing comparatively expensive shoes, that I balk at the idea of running up to Tamo cave in Feiyues too. But I've done it. I was ten years younger then.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

At the school I belong to, we run in our feiyue's as well.

we run an average of 2 miles in a semi small circle on concrete every day.

at the begining of this it kind of sucked, blisters and the sort. but now the bottoms of my feet are rock hard.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Thanks

Well if it's good enough for them, then it's good for me too!

Truth is that I can't be bothered to head down to my local Niketown (or whatever) to have some Rudeboy try and sell me the latest pair of pogo stick soled moonboots just so that I can keep running in my training (my last pair of "trainers" broke)!

Anyway, I like to keep the Shaolin dream alive by conforming to authentic training methods, and as I already have a few pairs of Feiyues,.....

Thanks again!
    Last edited by chris_b; 12-08-2005 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    we run an average of 2 miles in a semi small circle on concrete every day.

10 character limit
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Your feiyues will wear out quickly if you run in them.

They're real cheap though. So when they wear out i'll just buy more!

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist

10 character limit

I DONT GET IT
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Feiyues as authentic Shaolin

That's a really funny notion when you think about it. I'm sure Shaolin's detractors roll their eyes at that one. That's sort of what I was alluding to when I penned my first Feiyue informercial. Shoe technology has improved greatly in just the last few decades. So when people talk about 'traditional' practice, how does that affect their shoes? Personally, I wear Feiyues because they work well for me. I find that they don't wear out that quickly for me, but maybe that's because they fit my feet well. I've noted that some shoes, like Nikes, wear out really quick for me. On the flip side, I have a buddy who wears Tiger Claw shoes as street shoes. He keeps them going for a good year on the street, something I could never do.

If the shoe fits...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Yes, they do

I trained at Shi DeCheng's school in DengFeng during the month of october, '05 and ALL the martial art students at his school and every other school in dengfeng run in feiyue shoes (EVERY DAY). The foreign martial students ran in them also.
    Don't Just Live- Live and Perform

Center for Integrative Health and Perfomance

www.centerforIHAP.com

I've seen pictures, some of their Feiyue's are knock-offs.
    ----

I train in Tiger Claw Feiyue's, they're awesome. The soles are really cushioned, it's like walking barefoot on a plush carpet at all times. I bought a 10.5 because I thought the 10's would be too small, but they ended up being too loose for training. So now I wear the 10.5 as street shoes and the 10's for training. They make excellent street shoes! And they're so cheap! I honestly think I'm not going to wear anything but Feiyue's for a long time.

And aren't they just cheap Chinese athletic shoes? They're not strictly made for martial arts right?

Every student trained in feiyues when I was in dengfeng and shaolin si.

Nearly a year since I left for china.....I wonder why the hell I didnt pick up more than 1 pair.....now I have to pay 19GBP instead of 1.50GBP.

On the point of running. The sole is very very thin and it can hurt your foot when you run/jump alot in them. I found that I had very severe pains in my heals (especially being a 7* practitioner) after a few weeks of using feiyues. But now I have conditioned the soles of my feet to the point where the heal is now rock solid. So I suppose the pain is worth it in the end.

Im never having another shoe.

craig
    Last edited by monkeyfoot; 12-26-2005 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot
    Every student trained in feiyues when I was in dengfeng and shaolin si.

Nearly a year since I left for china.....I wonder why the hell I didnt pick up more than 1 pair.....now I have to pay 19GBP instead of 1.50GBP.

On the point of running. The sole is very very thin and it can hurt your foot when you run/jump alot in them. I found that I had very severe pains in my heals (especially being a 7* practitioner) after a few weeks of using feiyues. But now I have conditioned the soles of my feet to the point where the heal is now rock solid. So I suppose the pain is worth it in the end.

Im never having another shoe.

craig
    I put sport gel pads in mine, it makes it somewhat better....

yea I put inner-soles in them a few months ago and it helps a lot. I really need to buy some more, mine are tottally trashed from training outside all the time.

I wouldnt mind a pair for leisure aswell, when I walk round in etnies or emiricas I think 'holy **** i'd never be able to kick in these'.

craig

It won't bother you if you jog correctly. That means running with a low light step. Sort of like a military double time trot. Don't pick your feet far up and slam them down hard. Like i see many joggers in their expensive shoes do on a daily basis.
    I saw something on TV where these people run bare foot with no problems. i notice they also utilize the shaolin running style.