Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push ups

Push ups

All of a sudden I cannot stay on my toes for my push ups. I have to let my knees down. My back won't let me stay in position. I have no idea why this is happenning. I have been working a little OT, could that be it?
    Lee

please clairfy is it a lower back pain or ur muscles giv up if so nothing a bit of strength training wont fix and a trip to a massuse good excuse to hahahaha.

i know i was having a bit of pain doing pushups on my toes for a while too. the pain was in my sacrum near my tail bone. What i did for this was a very simple stretch that made it go away in a couple days. you sit on the floor with your legs spread out as far as they go andyour toes pointed toward the ceiling. you lean to your left and grab your left foor with your left hand then reach over your head and grab your left foot with your right hand (if you can stretch that far if not just stretch as far as you can). when you are doing this twist your head and shoulders slightly so that you are looking toward the ceiling. you should feel a pretty good stretch in your lower back. repeat on both sides in the morning and evening. But don't stretch the muscle cold. warm it up a little first. i hope that helps. and i am once again amazed at how hard it is to explain things with just words.

another thing that might help but take it easy with this one is get a tennis ball and put it on the floor and lay on top of it so that wherever the pain in your back is the tennis ball is pushing on it. It hurts but helps get deep in the tissue to break up and lactic acid that may be causing pain in your muscle. after you do that make sure you stretch the muscle.

There's nothing wrong with starting on your knees.

Or, if you have the space, you can put your toes on the ground and your hands on the 1st or 2nd stair in a staircase. That will help give you better leverage, too.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy

another thing that might help but take it easy with this one is get a tennis ball and put it on the floor and lay on top of it so that wherever the pain in your back is the tennis ball is pushing on it. It hurts but helps get deep in the tissue to break up and lactic acid that may be causing pain in your muscle. after you do that make sure you stretch the muscle.
    I have streched in that manner but I will try the tennis ball. Thanks.

hi

there is this salonpas i think... made in japan. pain patch. it works well.

I have this every so often. It sometimes goes away with a good stretch, but usually I end up going to the chiropractor.

BUT... There is a stretch that seems to help me some. It sounds very weird and I get a lot of odd looks. First, find one of those hand rails made of pipes. They need to be the ones with the rails horizontal, not vertical. And it helps if it has 4 or 5 levels. An old-fashion board fence with the slats horizontal works, too, if there is room for you to put your knee and foot in it, but it's not as comfortable. Next, put your foot and knee into a low slot. Lean forward and rest you fore arms on the top slat. Repete for each leg and keep going up untill you can no longer lean in without bending your back.

I know this is similar to a forward hurdler's stretch, but that stretch never seems to target my hip flexors and buttox. This one does. It also helps to work the pain out of upper thighs due to too much low stances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

I tried the tennis ball and it hasn't improved. I will try Becca's idea and let you guys know. I reslly don't like seeing chiropractors. I have been using all my arm and shoulder strength to get passed it and just stay up there, but I still cave half the time.

heres a strentch that i do for lower back

law down on the flor and raise your legs past your head and make them touch the floor above you have your hands on your hips to support them and keep knees straight. if done correctly you will see your crotch right above your face.

i wish i could show this to you or discribe it better.

Quote Originally Posted by dainos
    law down on the flor and raise your legs past your head and make them touch the floor above you have your hands on your hips to support them and keep knees straight. if done correctly you will see your crotch right above your face.

i wish i could show this to you or discribe it better.

"the plow" from yoga

this is one of my favorite stretches... it really helps my back and neck
    Words!

Just words!

what type of warm up routine does your shcool do before classes?

i would think that stretch would be part of it. you should be paying attention to every area of the body in warm ups.

if your school does not do a lot of warm ups, find a good system and try to incorporate it into your personal regime.

any shaolin warm up system will be good, its all derived from yoga and other chinese exersizes.

from the head down to the toes and everything in between.

try finding some good lower back strenthening exersizes as well, it may not be just a simple stretghing thing, you may need more strength.

lie on your back and put your hands under your butt. lift your feet a couple inches from the ground, keep the knees straight, so that from your feet to your thighs there is none touching the ground. lift your head the same amount.

hold this at first for 20 seconds or so until you really feel it working you out. build up time till you can hold it for 3 minutes. by this time your lower back will be greatly strenghtned.

it really helped me out in the past when i had lower back problems similar to yours. now i have no problems at all. this was about the only thing i did out of my regular routine to correct my situation.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I practice yoga and Plow doesn't do it and no other pose does. I stretch before and after workouts always. I think Becca is right a chiropractor may be the answer. Maybe my Lats are getting weak?

sounds like you need strengthening.

try the exersize i described above, i gaurantee results, or your money back!!
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by RUFNTUFGIRL
    I practice yoga and Plow doesn't do it and no other pose does. I stretch before and after workouts always. I think Becca is right a chiropractor may be the answer. Maybe my Lats are getting weak?
    I have heard this complaint mainly from women who have had kids, but also from people who have had back or hip injuries. My bone cracker says it is a common problem for women in general. Having kids is a big stress on the skelital system. Things get out of alignment and hard activities tend to push things back out of alignment all over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Interesting. Becca I have 18 mth old twins. I bet you are right! I figured the hip alignment wasn't related to this so I wasn't thinking like that. I am always jumping on my legs too. Lots of cardio. Probably not helping.