Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrities studying martial arts?

Continued from previous post

6) Lucy Liu

Kill Bill star Lucy Liu, practices the martial art of Kali-Eskrima-Silat (knife-and-stick fighting.

7) Adrianna Lima

A self confessed boxing fan, this Victoria’s Secret veteran keeps her body runway ready by playing several sports. She takes mixed martial arts classes and Capoeira which is an Afro-Brazilian art form that combines martial arts, games, music, and dance.

8) Scarlett Johansson

“Civil War” actress Scarlett Johansson is proud that she does her series of action sequence in her films without a body double. “Black Widow” alternates her circuit and resistance training with martial arts. No wonder she looks so good!

9) Angelina Jolie

Jolie is into several forms of martial arts which prepared her for several action films like “Tomb Raider” and “Salt.”
    According to reports, she is currently into Krav Maga is an Israeli system of self defence and is a highly-demanding form of unarmed combat burning hundreds of calories with each session.

10) Jessica Alba

Fresh faced Jessica Alba looks sweet, but she can probably kick your ass. She practices Taekwondo for various movie roles and to stay in shape.
    I think we've accounted for most of the rest of these ladies here already.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Felicity Jones

Next best announcement for Rogue One since Donnie.

Rogue One: Felicity Jones on the importance of women in the Rebellion
    Part five of EW's 'Star Wars' week.
    BY ANTHONY BREZNICAN • @BREZNICAN

(Jonathan Olley)
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Posted August 12 2016 — 12:01 PM EDT

With the new Rogue One trailer dropping Thursday night, Entertainment Weekly has been posting a week of new stories about the upcoming stand-alone Star Wars film. Here’s part five.

It was a meeting at dawn in hushed restaurant when Felicity Jones found herself recruited for a covert mission.

Director Gareth Edwards (previously best known for Godzilla) had recently signed on to make Rogue One, the first Star Wars stand-alone film about the Rebel soldiers who steal the original Death Star blueprints, and he was considering her as the big sister to lead this band of brothers.

“We were both working at the time and we met at something like 5:30 a.m. in a hotel restaurant,” Jones recalls. “Most of the meeting was conducted in whispers as he explained the story and the character. My first introduction was definitely one shrouded in secrecy and being very careful no one overheard what we were talking about.”

With the movie opening Dec. 16, she’s finally at the stage when she can talk about it. But The Theory of Everything Oscar-nominee has a lot more to discuss, too. She’s in three other movies opening this year: the action-thriller Collide (Aug. 19), the bittersweet supernatural tale A Monster Calls (Oct. 21), and the third Da Vinci Code film Inferno (Oct. 28.)

Nothing pushed her to the limit like playing Rogue One’s Jyn Erso, the loner whose scientist father has knowledge vital to both the Rebels and the Empire. To help the Rebellion secure the plans that will eventually help Luke Skywalker destroy the Death Star, her conscripted outlaw will fight in space, on land, in the pouring rain, and under a sweltering desert sun.

“I’m laughing now, but at the time, it was physically exhausting,” says the actress, 32. “It took a lot of hours of practice, and I worked with a kung fu coach, and I learned to fight, even though I never thought beating up Stormtroopers was something I’d be doing in my job. It came through hard work and lots of practice and rehearsals.”

At 5-foot-3, Jones is not the typical war-movie brawler, but she says that’s part of Jyn’s underdog appeal.

“She is absolutely a very unlikely heroine,” the actress says. “She’s someone on the edges and fringes of society. Physically, she’s smaller than everyone else around her, but… when someone has something they believe in, that’s what powers them, that’s what motivates them, that’s what can give someone enormous strength.”

Edwards says he chose Jones because she wasn’t “so kick-ass and shields-up that the audience couldn’t empathize with her.”

“There were a lot of people who could learn how to fight and beat people up and do the physical side of it. For me, the most interesting thing is when there’s a crack in the armor, when you can glimpse the vulnerability in someone,” the director says. “You can just hang the camera on Felicity and not say a word, and you can feel her having a million different thoughts. You get interested in what she’s thinking and what’s going on. She can be very observant within a scene. It doesn’t always have to be about her directly, but we’re experiencing it through her. She just has that knack for pulling you in.”

Jyn can now join Daisy Ridley’s Rey from The Force Awakens as another inspiration to girls eager to fight for a good cause, but the character also has her own hero: Mon Mothma (played by Genevieve O’Reilly), the former Galactic Senator who is uniting the Rebel Alliance. There’s no doubt a lot of dudes make up the resistance fighting force, but women — such as Princess Leia at the diplomatic level, to Jyn on the battlefield — are its leaders.

“I would say there’s a huge amount of respect for women in the Rebellion. Mon Mothma is ultimately, for Jyn, someone she looks up to,” Jones says. “So even as the film opens [Jyn] has a very strong female role model in front of her, and someone she respects.”

At a time when the United States has just nominated its first female candidate for president, Jones says fantasy can change reality for the better by showing even more female action heroes. “It’s vital,” she says. “As we’re seeing in politics, it is a world where women are becoming leaders of nations, and films should be reflecting that.”

“I’m With Her” is already taken as a slogan in our world, but the infantry tough guys of Rogue One will be following a similar battle cry: “I’m With Erso.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sean Hannity

Sean Hannity boasts about his karate skills while warning Never Trump movement: 'I punch back'
    Oliver Darcy, provided by
    Published 2:51 pm, Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Fox News host Sean Hannity boasted on Tuesday afternoon about his martial arts skills while warning the Never Trump movement against criticizing him.
    “They’ve all taken shots at me first,” Hannity said on his radio show of conservative media members like radio host Glenn Beck, National Review Editor Rich Lowry, and columnist Jonah Goldberg.
    He continued: “I’m a counter-puncher. I punch back. Now working toward my black belt … finally got my brown belt. If you hit me, come at me, I’m really going to hurt you.”
    Hannity quickly added that he wasn’t threatening physical harm against individuals who have spoken out against him.
    The host has been engaged in a back and forth with members of the Never Trump conservative movement for the last few weeks after facing staunch criticism for his fervent support of the Republican presidential nominee.
    Sure, if someone hits you, but just criticising?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Orlando Bloom

I've liked Orlando since he was spotted rocking Feiyues.

Newly blond Orlando Bloom flaunts his chiseled chest during kung fu session in China
    By CASSIE CARPENTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
    PUBLISHED: 18:00 EST, 18 September 2016 | UPDATED: 18:00 EST, 18 September 2016

Orlando Bloom flaunted his chiseled chest in an Instagram video he shared from a choreographed kung fu session in China on Sunday.
    In the clip, the 39-year-old Englishman stunt-punched, blocked, and wrestled with a 'Shaolin master' while inside a Shanghai gym.
    The divorced father-of-one unveiled his newly bleached locks on Friday, which with the long pieces on top made him resemble his 'nemesis' Justin Bieber.

Posturing: Orlando Bloom flaunted his chiseled chest in an Instagram video he shared from a choreographed kung fu session in China on Sunday

All for the cameras! In the clip, the 39-year-old Englishman stunt-punched, blocked, and wrestled with a 'Shaolin master' while inside a Shanghai gym

Bieber fever? The divorced father-of-one unveiled his newly bleached locks on Friday, which with the long pieces on top made him resemble his 'nemesis' Justin Bieber

'He's a shaolin master imma have to practice lots to keep up,' Orlando wrote to his 159K followers.
    Bloom's makeover and Chinese martial art stunt session was likely for his role in Smart Chase: Fire & Earth.
    The Hobbit heartthrob - who wore a wig as Legolas - plays a washed-up private security agent transporting a valuable Chinese antique out of Shanghai.
    The 2017 action flick is being helmed by Kevin Bernhardt and it will also feature Simon Yam.
    Orlando Bloom demonstrates his battle prowess and blonde locks

Orlando wrote to his 159K followers: 'He's a shaolin master imma have to practice lots to keep up'

Action! Bloom's makeover and Chinese martial art stunt session was likely for his role in Smart Chase: Fire & Earth

Muscular back: The Hobbit heartthrob - who wore a wig as Legolas - plays a washed-up private security agent transporting a valuable Chinese antique out of Shanghai

Coming soon! The 2017 action flick is being helmed by Kevin Bernhardt and it will also feature Simon Yam
    The Burning Man enthusiast was likely missing his girlfriend of seven months, American pop diva Katy Perry.
    Meanwhile, Orlando's five-year-old son Flynn was likely with his ex-wife, Australian model Miranda Kerr.
    The SAG Award winner can next be seen opposite Malin Akerman in Joe Swanberg's sexually-charged, eight-episode series Easy, which begins streaming Thursday on Netflix.

'Back to blond...rolling to set!' The Burning Man enthusiast was likely missing his girlfriend of seven months, American pop diva Katy Perry

Horsing around: Meanwhile, Orlando's five-year-old son Flynn was likely with his ex-wife, Australian model Miranda Kerr

Begins streaming Thursday on Netflix! The SAG Award winner can next be seen opposite Malin Akerman in Joe Swanberg's sexually-charged, eight-episode series Easy

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tura Satana revisited

[IMG]https://sports-images.vice.com/images/articles/meta/2016/10/05/the-martial-arts-legacy-of-tura-satana-1475692760.jpeg?crop=1xw:0.72xh;0xw,0.0975xh&resiz e=900:*&output-quality=75[/IMG]
    October 6, 2016
    Sarah Kurchak
    THE MARTIAL ARTS LEGACY OF TURA SATANA

It's a classic martial arts narrative: the young hopeful stumbles upon a masterful display of mental control and physical skill and realises that he wants to learn. So he approaches the person who put on such an impressive clinic and blithely says that he wants them to teach him. But the master isn't so easily impressed with the young upstart's enthusiasm. Martial arts aren't easy, nor a passing fancy, the master informs their potential pupil. You have to be serious about this.

But the players were a little different back in 1956 when an up-and-coming singer named Elvis Presley approached the teenage dancer Miss Japan Beautiful (aka Tura Satana) backstage at Chicago's Follies Theatre. He was quickly becoming a fan – he'd previously caught her act in Biloxi nine months earlier and briefly made her acquaintance after the show – and wanted to know how she could move the way that she did when she was on stage. Satana told the future star (and karate enthusiast) that the strength and athleticism that she displayed in her performances was a result of her martial arts training.

"He asked if I could teach him," Satana recalled in conversation with famed author and groupie Pamela Des Barres for a chapter in her book Let's Spend the Night Together: Backstage Secrets of Rock Muses and Supergroupies. "I told him, 'Martial arts is not only a disciplinary art form, it also teaches you control,' and he said 'Well you sure got control!'"

As Satana explained to Des Barres, she went on to teach Elvis a lot about physical movement and control over the years (and you can read about those lessons in far more giddily lurid detail in the book). But before she taught him to how to use his mouth, Tura Satana, the martial arts-influenced dancer, taught Elvis how to move his hips.

Not everyone believes Satana's version of events. Chicago Magazine's Geoffrey Johnson, for instance, argues that the timeline of her story doesn't really align with Elvis's ascendance to superstardom. But what's amazing about Tura Satana is that, even if that particular story is apocryphal, the rest of her documented life story remains downright epic. And, if it is true, giving Elvis his trademark pelvis would still rank among one of her least interesting accomplishments in martial arts and entertainment.

Tura Satana (nee Yamaguchi) was born on July 10, 1938 in Hokkaido, Japan. Her father, who was part Filipino, acted in silent films. Her mother, who was of Cheyenne Indian and Scottish heritage, was a circus performer. They moved to the United States when she was four years old, but it was far from the new start her family had hoped for. Tura and her father spent two and a half years in the Manzanar internment camp for Japanese Americans before being able to reunite with her mother and try to build a life for themselves in Chicago.

But Tura's childhood in Chicago was also fraught with danger. At school, she was tormented for her Japanese heritage. "[I] fought my way going to school and coming back," she explains in Jimmy McDonough's Big Bosoms and Square Jaws: The Biography of Russ Meyer, King of the Sex Film. "I was constantly taunted about being a Tojo, a monkey-person." When she was ten years old, a group of five teenagers approached her on her way home from an errand to buy bread for her mother, threw her in a car, and raped her. Then they left her for dead in an alley.

The fallout from her rape only further victimised the young girl. Her attackers were never prosecuted. According to McDonough's book, Satana later found out that the judge had been paid off. She was sent to reform school for the crime of "tempting" her attackers ("Everyone blames you for being raped, not the rapist," she mused on her punishment in her unpublished autobiography.)

After that, Tura began taking martial arts lessons with her father in an effort to protect herself. "I was studying aikido, which is very good for women, because they don't have to worry about ruining their hands," she told an audience during an appearance at the Santa Monica Barnes & Noble bookstore on June 27, 2003. "A combination of karate and aikido and judo. It's basically using your opponent, and his strengths and his weaknesses."

But there was also another motive behind her to training: vengeance. "I made a vow to myself that I would someday, somehow, get even with all of them," she once wrote of her rapists.

In addition to her more traditional training – although the actual source of this information is hard to pin down, she is widely reported to have earned a green belt in aikido and a black belt in karate – the young Tura formed a girl gang to patrol her community. "It was a girl gang that could take care of themselves, but we didn't go around looking for trouble," she said in a 2008 interview with Zuri Zone. "Usually we went looking to prevent trouble, especially to other girls."

Eventually, she was able to exact physical revenge on all of her rapists. Although she never discussed the event(s) in any detail, she did occasionally reference the culmination of her I Spit On Your Grave-like quest with pride. "They never knew who I was until I told them," she wrote in her autobiography.

In an effort to keep their daughter in line, Tura's parents forced her into an arranged marriage with a family friend while she was still in her mid teens. But Tura Satana couldn't be so easily tamed, and she ran away to the burlesque world, taking little more than her new surname along with her. Although that world wasn't perfect either – many of the dancers were jealous of her skill – she did manage to find some semblance of community and compassion there. When her second marriage to a jockey ended in his tragic death, she credited dancing with helping to save her.

It was also on the club circuit that she met and romanced Elvis, among other famous admirers, and began to attract attention from the film world. She landed small but pivotal parts in pictures Irma La Douce with Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine and television programs like The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (in an episode that also featured a very young Kurt Russell). Then she was given an opportunity to audition for the latest film by the infamous Russ Meyer. Satana almost turned down the chance, because she wasn't thrilled with Meyer's reputation as a sexploitation-happy filmmaker, but her agent assured her that this film would be different.

At the audition, Meyer asked her how she would play Valma, the girl gang-leading star of his latest story. "I said I could play her two ways. I could play her very soft and feminine, or I could play her as a very ballsy woman," she said during her 2003 Barnes & Noble appearance. Meyer asked her to try it both ways. He preferred the latter.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

In addition to the ball-busting attitude that she added to what would soon be retitled Faster *****cat, Kill Kill, Satana also brought her physical skills and knowhow to the production. "I did all my own fight scenes. I choreographed all the fights. I had to literally carry some of the guys through the fight scenes because they were afraid of getting hurt. Especially the first guy that I broke his neck [in the film]. He was scaredest of all. He was the biggest chicken when he had the tarantula! But nobody ever got hurt."

First released in the summer of 1965, Fast *****cat was almost unlike anything that film and television has ever seen before. Satana's Valma and her gang were big-bosomed bad girls, yes, but they were also physically skilled, intimidating bad girls in a world that was still months away from the American television debut of The Avenger's karate-kicking Emma Peel and decades away from heroines like Buffy The Vampire Slayer and The Hunger Games' Katniss Everdeen. Only Mrs. Peel's predecessor, Cathy Gale (played by another real life martial arts student, Honor Blackman) came close to what she was doing on screen. It was the beginning of the female action hero, and its influence can still be seen today in the work of filmmakers like Quentin Tarantino.

Reflecting on the film's initial success on its thirtieth anniversary, Roger Ebert wrote: "What attracts audiences is not sex and not really violence, either, but a Pop Art fantasy image of powerful women, filmed with high energy and exaggerated in a way that seems bizarre and unnatural, until you realise Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Jean-Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal play more or less the same characters. Without the bras, of course."

In an interview with Confessions of a Pop Culture Addict, Satana offered a similar theory for the film's enduring success. "I would say that I think the appeal for it is basically because women are powerful. Especially Varla. Varla was the one who just went around killing everybody and taking what she wanted. She knew what she wanted out of life. She went for it."

Almost four decades after its initial release, Satana reflected on how far things had come for actresses like her and characters like Valma in 2003. "It's much better than it was. Women have finally come into their own. Before they were housewives. They were weak, or they were somebody's girlfriend running away. Somebody hiding, somebody crying, somebody weeping. But now it's a whole new ballgame. Women are starting to do something else beside stand in the kitchen and cook dinner, or look pretty, or be an ornament on the beach. You can still look pretty and kick ass."

And she was all in favour of it. The only thing she didn't support was the idea of a Faster *****cat remake. Tarantino himself was rumoured to be attached to the project at one point – with, bizarrely, Britney Spears being suggested for Valma – and Satana made it very clear that she found the whole idea completely unnecessary and insulting. "I think if he ever did that that'd I'd kill him," she quipped to Confessions of a Pop Culture Addict. "He'd kill my part so I would kill him."

Unfortunately, the revolution that Satana started with Valma didn't come fast enough to sustain her own cinematic career. Although she went on to star in a couple of classic B movies by Ted V. Mikels after the director discovered her dancing and fighting at the Silver Slipper in Las Vegas, her acting prospects stalled after 1973's The Doll Squad. Satana continued to focus on dancing, instead, before becoming a nurse. After a car accident in the '80s, she turned to less physically demanding work to pay the bills, including a longtime gig in hotel security in Reno, Nevada. She also made a number of convention appearances later in life, and even took on the occasional small film role in the early '00s. Throughout it all, she continued to kick ass until the very end.

"Despite having a pacemaker fitted in 2003, [she] seemed as tough as ever," The Guardian reported in her obituary. "Indeed, in one interview she recounted what had happened when an over-enthusiastic fan hid in her hotel room after a signing: 'He went flying across the room and wound up with a broken arm, busted nose and badly twisted leg. The house detective carried him out.'"

Tura Satana died on February 4, 2011 in Reno Nevada, but her impressive – not to mention intimidating – legacy lives on.

And although rumours still swirl around Quentin Tarantino and a possible remake, they remain just idle speculation at this point. Who, after all, would dare fill her Go-Go boots?
    More on Tura Satana
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ellie Goulding

Ellie Goulding Took Her MMA Training Injury Like a Champ
    Abby West
    Senior Editor
    Yahoo Celebrity November 1, 2016

Ellie Goulding is usually quite dolled up on the red carpet and onstage, but she can get gritty when she’s training. (Photo: David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images)
    More
    What? You didn’t know that the pop star is a budding MMA fighter? Well, she may not be quitting her day job as a Grammy-winning singer-songwriter, but the “Love Me Like You Do” songstress is no stranger to hardcore mixed martial arts training. And that kind of training can sometimes mean getting banged up a bit, which Goulding seems to be taking with a smile as she showed off a big bruise on her elbow in a recent Instagram post, with the caption, “Underestimated the switch from fists to elbows on the pads.”

elliegoulding
    Follow

Underestimated the switch from fists to elbows on the pads cc @mrbobbyrich 💅🏻🙅🏼 #elbowstrike
    131k likes
    1d
    elliegouldingUnderestimated the switch from fists to elbows on the pads cc @mrbobbyrich 💅🏻🙅🏼 #elbowstrike

The 29-year-old tagged judo champion Bobby Rich in that Instagram post, and she seems to be training with multiple experts in the field, such as Arnold Chon, movie stunt coordinator and MMA trainer extraordinaire. Chon praised Goulding in this pic of the two of them post-workout, writing, “Great training! You rock!”

And with these short videos of previous training sessions, we get the idea that her head is totally into it. She’s got quite a kick:

Those arms are no joke:

Look at that footwork:

For one training video, she wrote, “That’s real cute. No i don’t mean I’m cute, I mean you’re cute. Fancy a fight?”

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKLzLShD...goulding&hl=en

You’re right, Ellie. It’s supercute and superstrong.
    The original article has gaps where more instagram pix were probably supposed to be. That's okay. We get the idea.

My respect for Goulding just went up a notch.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Emmanuel Lewis

I cut to the chase on this one. There are many other celebs in this article, but it's Lewis and TKD that interests us here.

80s Stars Then and Now
    By Lionel, Nov 14, 2016

After working in the industry for decades, these stars have changed drastically over the years. Many of them made their debut in the 80s. Hair was bigger, shoulder pads were higher, and teeth were less white. Some of these 80’s stars have gone on and become bigger stars while other stars’ careers have plateaued. Many of these famous actors continued to blossom into the celebrities we know and love today, while other stars took a turn for the worst. Take a look back in time and see where these beloved 80’s stars came from and ended up today.

Emmanuel Lewis

Emmanuel Lewis is most well known for his starring role on the TV sitcom Webster. Lewis went on to graduate form Clark Atlanta University in 1997. Now Lewis practices as a practitioner of Taekwondo. As a child actor, Lewis was nominated for Best Young Actor in a Comedy Series and four other Young Artist Awards. Lewis was also the child spokesperson for the Burger King Whopper. Emmanuel Lewis is often compared to the late Gary Coleman, the star of Diff’rent Strokes.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

10 Popular Actors With Serious Martial Arts Skills In Real Life!

Actually, I think we knew about all of these. Now Emmanuel Lewis (see prior post), that we didn't know about.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Larry Farwell

Who?

Lie Detectors, Russian Spies, and an Expert in Kung Fu
    How the incoming national security adviser got tangled up in the Trump administration’s weirdest scandal yet.
    By Daniel Engber

Can brain waves be used to detect lies? What even is a lie?
    IconicBestiary/Thinkstock

The weirdest scandal of the Trump transition—the one involving brain electrodes, Russian spies, Hillary Clinton’s email server, and an expert in kung fu—probably should have been a bigger deal. But I’m sorry to say that Bloomberg reporters David Kocieniewski and Peter Robison’s gift to journalism, published on the morning of Dec. 23, barely registered before it disappeared into the tinsel.

DANIEL ENGBER
    Daniel Engber is a columnist for Slate.

Their delightful scoop, headlined “Trump Aide Partnered With Firm Run by Man With Alleged KGB Ties,” describes a business link between Donald Trump’s incoming national security adviser, Michael Flynn, and a shady biotech startup called Brainwave Science. In February, Brainwave, which sells a “helmet-like headpiece fitted with sensors” as a sort of lie detector for law enforcement and counterterrorism efforts, brought on Flynn as an adviser. At that point, a biotech entrepreneur named Subu Kota was serving on Brainwave’s board of directors. As Kocieniewski and Robison point out, Kota (whose name has since been scrubbed from the company website) happens to have been indicted for trying to sell hundreds of thousands of dollars’ worth of stolen micro-organisms, as well as classified information on missile-defense systems and stealth bombers, to KGB agents during the Cold War. (He signed a plea agreement admitting to the sale of the biotech material in 1996). Flynn, who has been criticized for his own coziness with Russian officials, allegedly promised to help Kota’s company sell its sensor helmet to U.S. agencies.

This would seem to be the perfect story for the Age of Trump, encapsulating as it does a sad mélange of foreign intelligence, questionable business deals, and suspect science. But a closer look at the Brainwave scandal suggests an even deeper resonance with our present, post-factual predicament. It’s a story, after all, that layers lies on top of lies about lies: whether lies can be detected in a person’s brain waves; whether people have been telling lies about that method of detecting lies; whether other people have been telling lies about the telling of those lies; and, finally, inevitably—insanely—whether it means anything to “lie” at all, since according to the neuroscientist at the center of this mess, each one of us has the mental power to bend reality to our will.

A closer look at the Brainwave scandal suggests an even deeper resonance with our present, post-factual predicament.
    The Bloomberg story focuses on Subu Kota, but “Braingate” really starts with the neuroscientist, Larry Farwell of Seattle. Farwell comes from a family of professors and ship captains: His grandfather Raymond was an expert in naval transportation and commerce who wrote a classic book on how to avoid maritime collisions; his father, George, was a physicist who studied under Enrico Fermi and worked on the Manhattan Project; his sister Jacqueline is a pediatric neurologist. Like George, Jacqueline, and Farwell’s uncle Raymond Jr. (another noted seaman), Farwell got his bachelor’s degree at Harvard University. For 10 years after graduation he invested in real estate and studied transcendental meditation, among other avocational pursuits. (He’s also been a semiprofessional swing-dance performer and a broadsword-wielding black belt in kung fu with a penchant for the flying kick.) Finally, in 1984, Farwell went back to school for a Ph.D. in neuroscience in the lab of the brain-electrode pioneer Emanuel Donchin.

Farwell produced extraordinary work while a student in the Donchin lab. In 1988, four years before completing his graduate degree, he and Donchin devised one of the first brain-computer interfaces for converting thought directly into speech. Their system worked through electroencephalography, or EEG—the measurement of broad oscillations in the brain’s electrical activity by electrodes placed atop the scalp. Donchin had expertise in a particular EEG brain-wave pattern called the “P300,” which corresponds to a brief change in voltage that shows up on neural traces about half a second after people are presented with a meaningful or surprising stimulus. (The name P300 refers to the fact that this signal can appear as soon as 300 milliseconds after the triggering sound or image.)
    Farwell had shown that brain electrodes could be used to read a person’s mind—but only when the message had been spelled out on purpose.
    Working on his own time, he says, Farwell figured out a way to use the P300 to help people communicate just by concentrating on a grid of letters on a screen. He’d ask his subjects to focus on a single letter as he recorded from their scalps. Each row and column of the grid would be flashed in turn; whenever the target letter was highlighted, the subjects’ brain waves would display the P300 voltage bump. By repeating this process, Farwell found that he could identify a string of letters inside his subjects’ heads, and then eventually a two-word phrase. “We report here that the P300 can serve as a pencil, and that the pencil is actually rather sharp,” Farwell and Donchin wrote when they published the results. Then they added an important caveat: “The mind, however, retains control over the use of the pencil.”

Farwell had shown that brain electrodes could be used to read a person’s mind—but only when the message had been spelled out on purpose. Could the P300 signal reveal information that a person meant to hide from view? Farwell had another project in development that aimed to do exactly this. He based his work on a classic form of lie detection called the “Guilty Knowledge Test” (or else, the “Concealed Information Test”), in which suspects are asked a series of multiple-choice questions related to a crime, for example: “Was the getaway car a red Ford, a yellow Toyota, a gray Chevy, or a white Plymouth?” The interrogator checks the suspect’s physiological responses to each potential answer. According to the theory of the test, a guilty person—and only a guilty person—would know the true answer to the question, and he might give himself away by responding to that answer in a subtle or unconscious way. His heart rate might begin to quicken, or his palms would start to sweat. Though such measures are widely used for lie-detector tests conducted by the FBI, the Drug Enforcement Administration, and other government agencies, they are not very reliable.

In 1986, Farwell and Donchin announced that they’d adapted the Guilty Knowledge Test for use with brain electrodes. In their new version of the test, the correct answer to a question—e.g. the make and color of a getaway car—would serve as the meaningful stimulus that induces an automatic P300 response, at least for those hiding intimate knowledge of a crime. For everyone else, the same cue wouldn’t be meaningful at all, so there would be no P300. With funding from the CIA, Farwell and Donchin pursued this idea for several years, publishing their first, somewhat meager results in 1991. Lots more research on their lie-detector test would be necessary, they said, but the approach clearly held some promise. Brain electrodes could one day be used “in the aid of interrogations.”
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Any hidden knowledge of the crime would reveal itself as a telltale P300.
    By the time that paper had been published, Farwell was already on the payroll as a full-time research consultant for the CIA. (The agency would provide him with about $1 million in research funding between 1991 and 1993.) Eventually he started up a company, the Human Brain Research Laboratory Inc., based around his guilty knowledge test and the notion that a suspect’s presence at a crime scene would leave an indelible trace, like a set of fingerprints, smeared across the circuits of his cortex. If an investigator could figure out the right questions to ask during a brain-recording session, she could, in effect, dust the suspect’s brain for evidence. Any hidden knowledge of the crime would reveal itself as a telltale P300.

Farwell signed research contracts not just with the CIA but also with the FBI and the U.S. Navy. Soon he would claim to have discovered a different brain wave pattern—a more elaborated version of the P300 that lasted a full second or even longer—which he patented as the “memory and encoding related multifaceted electroencephalographic response,” or MERMER. By analyzing this entire stretch of data, Farwell claimed, he managed to achieve an astonishing 100 percent accuracy in his lie-detector tests: No false positives, no false negatives, and no indeterminate results. In a 2012 paper summarizing his work, Farwell cited evidence from 10 field studies of his method, comprising more than 130 subjects. When it’s used correctly, he said, the system pretty much always works. (Farwell estimates a real-world error rate for brain fingerprinting at something “less than 1 percent,” noting that in science, nothing is ever really 100 percent.)

Human memory may be imperfect and limited, Farwell conceded in that paper, but to the extent that any reliable information might be hidden there, brain fingerprinting will find it. “Witnesses may lie,” he said, but “the brain never lies.” His method could even help stop crimes that haven’t yet been committed: A member of ISIS, posing as an innocent migrant from a war-torn country such as Syria, could be smoked out through careful application of the P300-MERMER test, Farwell wrote in 2015. “Terrorists know who they are,” he said. “They know what terrorist training they have. They know what specific terrorism-related skills, such as firearms and bomb making, they possess. … All of this information is stored in their brains.”

For a while Farwell’s theories were warmly welcomed by the press—Time once placed him among the “Picassos or Einsteins of the 21st century,” and CNN and 60 Minutes both invited him for interviews. But more rigorous appraisals of his work have long found cause for skepticism. A federal study from 2001 reported that officials at the CIA, FBI, Secret Service, and Department of Defense were not interested in using Farwell’s brain fingerprints. According to that study, the CIA in particular had abandoned the method in 1993 after Farwell refused to reveal aspects of the science to an expert panel that had been convened to assess its technical merit. (“That’s simply not true,” Farwell said in an interview earlier this month. “I provided my algorithms, all of the math, and the source code.”)

Meanwhile, other EEG researchers (including Emanuel Donchin, who helped create the test) suggested that the P300 lie-detection method was not as reliable as Farwell was suggesting, and certainly not appropriate for real-world applications. Among other potential problems, the P300 signal seems to have more to do with a subject’s belief than actual fact—even false memories are known to yield a positive result. Then there’s the fact that the test is only as good as the questions that are used to probe for guilty knowledge. How would the investigator know exactly which specific details a guilty person is likely to remember, especially when the test may be given weeks, months or even years after a crime has been committed? Others argued that the brain-fingerprinting test, like the classic polygraph test, could be beaten by a savvy subject, or undermined by a subject who wasn’t that observant in the first place.

Donchin laid out his concerns in a nasty and personal rebuttal to Farwell’s 2012 paper, written with several co-authors and published in the same academic journal. There he accused his former student of using “grandiloquent language” to distort and misrepresent the record on brain fingerprinting. Farwell’s patented P300-MERMER technique had never been described in a peer-reviewed publication, the rebuttal argued, so there was no way of knowing if it really added any value to the P300. Also, of the 13 studies that Farwell cited in support of his claim of 100 percent accuracy, just three had been written up in peer-reviewed journals, and these comprised just 30 participants in all. In short, said Donchin and his co-authors, Farwell’s review “violates some of the cherished canons of science and … he should feel obligated to retract the article.”

Farwell responded with his own display of scholarly indignation, accusing Donchin and the other authors of having distorted facts in their rebuttal and insisting that data could still be useful even if it wasn’t in a peer-reviewed journal. (Farwell notes that some of the data in question have since been published. The original studies were classified, he says, which led to some delays.) In any case, the latter point is true, no doubt; the published record carries just a small and biased sample of all scientific research, and it’s often very useful to consider work that hasn’t made its way to print.

But Farwell has been making some fishy-sounding claims. First and foremost, that his lie-detector test has near-perfect accuracy—a finding that is out of whack with other research in the field. A recent meta-analysis of P300 lie-detection research finds the test has an accuracy of about 88 percent. That isn’t bad at all, but it’s also not much better than what you’d get from more conventional lie-detector tests that measure people’s sweaty palms and blood pressure. (In fact, a version of the Guilty Knowledge Test based on standard polygraph measures is widely used by police in Japan.) Farwell answers that this meta-analysis surveyed all versions of the P300 test, not just his. When the test is run the way he does it—according to his list of 20 standards for the field—he claims the error rate does indeed drop close to zero.

Farwell has drawn some rather more adventurous conclusions from other work that never made its way through peer review. In the 1990s, as he wound down his research contracts with the CIA and FBI, Farwell took a break to spend a year working in an inpatient mental institution—“just to round out my experience,” he told me, “and get more hands-on experience of people who were really very seriously deranged.” He also said that he used leftover money from the government contracts to support himself as he pursued a private line of research into the nature of reality.

In 1999, Farwell wrote up the results of these experiments in a scientific treatise on quantum theory and the power of the mind, called How Consciousness Commands Matter: The New Scientific Revolution and the Evidence That Anything Is Possible. The book begins with a description of the brain-computer interface that he’d invented with Donchin in the 1980s—the device that enabled people to control a keyboard with their brains, by sending signals through a set of EEG electrodes. But Farwell had begun to wonder whether the electrodes might be extraneous. What if we could control the world, starting at the quantum level, just by thinking hard enough?
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So he set out to test what he called the Conscious Unified Field Hypothesis, according to which the human mind can affect reality in tangible, seemingly impossible ways. His father, the nuclear physicist, helped him set up his main experiment: Farwell put a sample of plutonium inside a particle detector, and then he sat beside it. “My task was to command matter through consciousness,” he wrote, “to bring order into the otherwise random process of quantum particle emission, using nothing but the influence of consciousness alone.”

The book describes what happened next: Farwell sat there for a while in total silence, trying to affect the particles with his mind. A set of bar graphs fluctuated on a monitor, showing the time intervals between each release of alpha particles from the plutonium. If he could affect those intervals with his mind—that is to say, if he could exert his will over the timing of radioactive decay—then he’d have proved his theory. Sure enough, the intervals began to shift, he told me. Farwell’s mind had changed the intervals enough that he felt able to conclude—with “99.98 percent confidence,” no less—that “consciousness can and does command matter at the quantum-mechanical level.”

In Farwell’s words, he’d proved that “what has been taken to be the whole of reality in recent millennia is merely a tiny portion of reality.” That means we can all be pioneers in the exploration of higher states of consciousness, he said: “You can create the life you want. … The resources at your command are truly infinite.”

Despite this revelation, and the infinite resources that were now at his command, Farwell never found broad acceptance for his lie-detecting technology. (Nor has he found much support for his theory about the conscious control of matter.) Interest in the P300 method did resurge after 9/11, and Farwell reorganized his company to sell brain fingerprinting as a service. He says he’s made a living off that work, though he won’t discuss specific clients. (“Being in the field I’m in, there are things I can’t talk about,” he said.) Still, the business has not been as successful as he’d hoped—a fact he blames on the conservatism of the scientific establishment. On his personal website, he compares the discovery of brain fingerprinting to the invention of the airplane, claiming that it can take decades for people to grasp the significance of such a major innovation. “Those whose status or finances depend on the old ways of doing things” will always oppose scientific progress, he says, and brain fingerprinting is no exception to this rule. Still, “science always moves forward, and not backward,” he adds, “and the truth always wins in the end.”

It must have seemed providential, then, when Farwell heard from Krishna Ika in 2012. A noted swami in India, who happened to be a mutual friend, had tipped off Ika to Farwell’s work on P300s. Ika got in touch to propose a partnership: He would improve and try to automate the lie-detection technology—by simplifying the user interface, for example, and making the sensor helmet wireless—so that he and Farwell could market brain fingerprinting more effectively to an international clientele. Farwell agreed, and signed on as the “director and chief scientist” for a new company, Brainwave Science. According to Ika, Farwell signed over the patents for his technology in exchange for a 45 percent stake in Brainwave and a $10,000-per-month consulting fee. Ika also freshened up Farwell’s own marketing material with a heavy helping of B-school gobbledygook, noting, for example, that brain fingerprinting could help a client to “maximize intelligence collection disciplines across various security verticals” and “leverage forensic capabilities to unprecedented levels.”

Subu Kota, the espionage-linked businessman, joined Brainwave as a board member in 2013. In August 2014, Ika announced Brainwave’s official worldwide launch, claiming to have sold Farwell’s technology to police in Singapore and to a police department in Florida. In February 2016, Brainwave added Michael Flynn—who had been fired from his post as head of the Defense Intelligence Agency around the time of the company launch—to its advisory board. Two months after that, a friend of Flynn’s named Brian McCauley, who had just retired from the FBI, joined the board as well.

McCauley’s presence on the board would soon provide evidence for the interconnectedness of all things, or at least the interconnectedness of all scandalous shenanigans in Washington. In mid-October, the Washington Post reported on McCauley’s link to Hillary Clinton’s private email server and to documents related to the attack in Benghazi. In 2015, while still at the FBI, McCauley had proposed trading favors with the State Department, whereby the bureau would agree not to classify a Benghazi-related message from Clinton’s server. (He says that he quickly rescinded the offer when he learned the contents of the email.) Both McCauley’s and Flynn’s names have lately disappeared from the Brainwave website. Ika says they had to sever ties because both had taken jobs in the Trump administration.

Farwell, for his part, now asserts that he was duped by Brainwave. Ika lied, he said. He’d told Farwell that Brainwave would sell his brain-fingerprinting technology around the world, but then the company started offering customers something else—“a counterfeit technology that does not meet the peer-reviewed, published Brain Fingerprinting Scientific Standards.” Brainwave’s lie-detector wasn’t just a fraudulent knockoff of his product, Farwell says, but one that Ika “never succeeded in selling … to anyone.” In September, he emailed Flynn, still a Brainwave adviser, to warn the lieutenant general that the company’s fake lie detectors might pose a danger to national security. He first tried to leave the company in 2014, he adds, but wasn’t able to “extricate [himself] completely” until last summer. Despite these efforts to cut ties, the Brainwave website still includes a list of Farwell’s publications as well as his press clips and bold claims of the P300-MERMER’s “nearly infallible degree of accuracy.”
    And while we’re at it, how much did Hillary Clinton know about Benghazi?
    According to Ika, that story has it backward: Farwell is the one who lied. Ika says that most of Farwell’s patents had already expired when their deal was signed—and that Farwell hid this fact from him. In October 2013, Farwell reassigned the (mostly expired) patents from Brainwave Science back to their original owner, a company called American Scientific Innovations, run by one of his high school classmates from Seattle. (The patents have since been offloaded to another company affiliated with Farwell.) Ika claims that Farwell did not have the authority to make this transfer and that he falsely presented himself to the U.S. Patent Office as a “managing member of the company” so as to steal Brainwave’s intellectual property. After discovering the reassignment in July, Ika says, he called the FBI and terminated the consulting contract with Farwell.

Ika also stands behind his claim of having signed brain-fingerprinting contracts with police in Singapore and Florida—though it turns out that the latter deal, at least, began and ended with a free-trial period. No money was exchanged., and the technology was never put to use.

“I’ve told you the truth about Mr. Ika, and I take no pleasure in telling you those things,” Farwell told me in response to these claims and counterclaims of fraud. Ika’s version is rife with misinformation, in his telling. The original deal from 2012 was never signed, he says, so the original transfer of the patents was itself a fraudulent attempt to pilfer his intellectual property. Also: He and his business received 49 percent of Brainwave Science, not 45 percent as Ika claimed; and his consulting contract had been for $11,000 per month, as opposed to $10,000.

By this point what I’d understood to be the truth now seemed to be, as Farwell might say, “a tiny portion of reality.” I had no idea exactly who was lying and to what extent. Did Brainwave really sell its product to police in Singapore? Does Brainwave’s lie detector really work as advertised? Does Farwell’s? Who owns those patents, and why should that matter if they’re all expired anyway? How involved was Michael Flynn? Did Subu Kota sell secrets to the KGB? And while we’re at it, how much did Hillary Clinton know about Benghazi?
    Long convoluted story. I don't think this is 'the Trump administration’s weirdest scandal yet'. Even the Russian dossier with the golden showers was weirder. News is so weird now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shape does our work for us here today

Badass Celebrities Who Will Inspire You to Take Up Martial Arts

These fierce ladies don't mess around when it comes to their workouts. By Julia Malacoff | Feb 23, 2017
    Topics: celebrity fitness,instagram

Gina Rodriguez

A few months ago, the Jane the Virgin actress took a trip to Thailand to train in and learn all about Muay Thai, which is the national sport of Thailand. (Curious about it? Here's why you should give Muay Thai a try.)
    PHOTO: INSTAGRAM/@HEREISGINA

Ellie Goulding

Goulding gets into beast mode on the reg when she exercises, and her forays into boxing and MMA fighting are no exception. Plus, she's been at it for a while so she's basically a pro now. As for why she loves it, the songstress told Marie Claire back in 2015: "Boxing is very animalistic, and there's a lot of adrenaline in it. It has helped my stamina. When I'm onstage, I feel like I could go on forever."
    PHOTO: INSTAGRAM/@ELLIEGOULDING

Gigi Hadid

We know that Hadid is all about staying healthy, both mentally and physically, and one of her favorite ways to do that is by boxing it out. (If you want a taste of what her workout is like, check out this Gigi Hadid workout for when you want to look—and feel—like a supermodel.)
    PHOTO: INSTAGRAM/@GIGIHADID

Demi Lovato

Lovato's new boo is an MMA fighter, so it only makes sense that she'd learn how to beat him at his own game. Plus, the look on her face when she realizes she's won this match is pretty adorable. While some have raised concerns that her routine of spending four hours in the gym a day is too much, she seems to be loving it.
    PHOTO: INSTAGRAM/@DDLOVATO

Karlie Kloss

We know that this supermodel has some crazy impressive fitness skills, so it makes sense that boxing is one of the many ways she stays fit.
    PHOTO: INSTAGRAM/@KARLIEKLOSS

Paula Patton

Patton has been open about how tough things have been following her split from Robin Thicke, but it looks like she's channeling all that energy into a new, majorly stress-relieving hobby. The actress told People that she went through two and a half hours a day of combat training for her recent movie, World of Warcraft, so it's pretty safe to say that by now she's in fighting shape.
    PHOTO: INSTAGRAM/@PAULAPATTONOFFICIAL
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Adriana Lima

It's no secret that models work hard in the gym, but we didn't know just how hard Adriana Lima trained until we checked out her Instagram. In addition to regularly experimenting with all kinds of fighting workouts, she also gives 110 percent, as evidenced by this amazing video of her working out with her trainer. (BTW, when she's not in combat mode, Lima is one of the many seriously strong celebrities who love to lift heavy.)
    PHOTO: INSTAGRAM/@ADRIANALIMA

Ashley Graham

Graham is one of our favorite body positive models and also one of our best workout inspirations. While she really does it all in the gym, this model definitely gets her game face on in the ring from time to time. (For more, check out these 12 times Ashley Graham showed us what fitspo was really about.)
    PHOTO: INSTAGRAM/@THEASHLEYGRAHAM

Shay Mitchell

Not only does the Pretty Little Liars star have killer workout style, but she also spends some serious time in the gym. The evidence? Her custom-made metallic gold boxing gloves—doesn't get much more committed than that.
    PHOTO: INSTAGRAM/@SHAYM

Gisele Bündchen

Bündchen has been open about how she likes her workouts to be stress-relieving, and when she's not impressing us with her perfect yoga poses, her MMA workouts definitely serve that purpose.
    PHOTO: INSTAGRAM/@GISELE

Khloé Kardashian

Kardashian hits the gym hard, and her martial arts workouts are no exception. Even though she deals with her fair share of fitness haters, she's still going strong on her workout journey. And we totally admire her for that.
    PHOTO: INSTAGRAM/@KHLOEKARDASHIAN

Minka Kelly

Minka Kelly's speed bag skills are pretty mesmerizing, TBH. Working with one of these guys is all about getting the rhythm right, and she's totally got it down.
    PHOTO: INSTAGRAM/@MINKAKELLY
    I'm so happy that martial arts is catching on with supermodels. This is the demographic that we need to cultivate more than any other.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Joe Manganiello

Kung Fu & katanas are trending again.

Joe Manganiello taking up Kung fu and katana training for The Batman
    March 10 2017

Joe Manganiello
    The star is more strong and fit at 40 than ever before.

Actor Joe Manganiello is mastering the art of Kung fu and training with katanas in preparation for his role as Deathstroke in forthcoming movie The Batman.

A start date for filming Ben Affleck's comic book adaptation has yet to be set, but the Magic Mike star will be ready once cameras do start rolling, after taking lessons in various martial arts to portray the supervillain.

"My trainer and I have started putting together some workouts that are specific to the character and how I want the character to move," he reveals to Robert Irvine Magazine. "It's an incredibly athletic role so all of the training is very functional. I've also started Kung fu and chi gung training, and I've also started working with katanas."

Asked how the new fighting skills are coming along, he replies, "I'm gonna be ready."

Joe is working with top trainer Ron Mathews, a four-time champion at the challenging CrossFit Games event, to put him through his paces, and the actor admits the 47-year-old is one of his main fitness inspirations after turning 40 in December (16).

With Ron's help, the star has found himself stronger than ever before, despite his advancing age.

"I can go harder than I've ever gone in the past in terms of cardio, the intensity is ratcheted up probably times 10," he explains. "I'm lifting heavier than I ever was. I am constantly achieving new heights in terms of max."

"I'm more mindful in terms of taking care of myself," Joe notes of the differences in his workouts now compared to over a decade ago. "I'm definitely more mindful in terms of nutrition, proper rest. As far as physical or muscular maturity, I love this period of my life, this particular age."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips