Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrities studying martial arts?

Joaquin Phoenix

We knew about Joaquin already. Good to see he's still practicing.

Hollywood heavyweight: Joaquin Phoenix sports a bulkier physique as he attends a martial arts class in Los Angeles
    By Sarah Robertson for MailOnline
    Published: 08:04 EST, 3 November 2014 | Updated: 08:04 EST, 3 November 2014

It seems Joaquin Phoenix is on a mission to get in shape at the age of 40.

The Inherent Vice actor was seen leaving a martial arts class on Sunday in Los Angeles after working up a sweat.

Joaquin, who turned 40 last month, appears to have been displaying a bulkier frame since completing filming for his upcoming role as a college professor in Woody Allen's latest untitled film.

Pouching Tiger: Joaquin Phoenix left a martial arts class in Los Angeles on Sunday sporting a bulkier physique than usual

And the Gladiator star packed a slightly bigger paunch than usual and a somewhat fuller face as he left the fitness studio.

Barefoot and wearing white trousers and a red polo neck, Joaquin did look like he had been training hard.

His hair was swept back and the clean shaven actor protected his eyes from the sun with a pair of shades.

On a mission: Joaquin looked like he was in the zone as he left the gym following a tough workout

On a mission: The actor has been attending martial arts classes and going for hikes in recent weeks

Last month, Joaquin was spotted looking beefier than usual while out walking his dogs around Beverly Hills.

It's not known whether he is putting on weight for a role, but over the summer he shot a Woody Allen film with Emma Stone, which sees him play a small town college philosophy professor with an identity crisis who becomes embroiled in a love affair with a student.

In recent weeks, the Her star appears to have upped his exercise regime, attending martial arts classes and going for hikes.

Slimmer figure: The actor cut a thinner shape a year ago in the film Her

Joaquin is set to hit the big screen in December in upcoming comedy drama, Inherent Vice, in which he is reunited with his Walk The Line costar Reese Witherspoon.

Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, the film also stars Owen Wilson and Josh Brolin.

Joaquin plays private investigator Larry 'Doc' Sportello, who is looking into the disappearance of his ex-girlfriend's boyfriend.

No shoes: Joaquin didn't seem affected by his lack of footwear, walking around barefoot
    It's his qi belly. I have one too.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Ryan Potter

You have to follow the link to see the vid.

Big Hero 6: Ryan Potter on White Tiger Kung Fu
    VIDEO: Ryan Potter calls dibs on playing the Asian Spider-Man and reveals which memorable line in ‘Big Hero 6′ he improvised.

November 2nd, 2014 William Bibbiani

Ryan Potter is a superhero in Big Hero 6, but he’s got the skills to become one in real life too. This martial artist voices Hiro Hamada in Disney’s new animated superhero movie, and we’ve got him right in front of the biggest Baymax (Scott Adsit) in the world to talk about his role in the film and why he practices White Tiger Kung Fu (hint: location, location, location).

Big Hero 6 stars Ryan Potter as a young super-scientist who teams up with a mild-mannered robot named Baymax to avenge the death of his brother. But since Baymax wasn’t desired for adventures, they run into a heap of problems, leading Ryan Potter to improvise one of the funniest lines of dialogue in the film. Which one was it? You’ll find out in this CraveOnline exclusive video interview!

Big Hero 6, directed by Don Hall and Chris Williams, co-stars Jamie Chung (Sin City: A Dame to Kill For), Damon Wayans Jr. (Let’s Be Cops), Genesis Rodriguez (Tusk) and T.J. Miller (Cloverfield). The film opens nation-wide on Friday, November 7, 2014.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Joy Bryant

Donuts, Kung Fu, Vintage: Joy Bryant Reveals Her LA Hangouts
    Thursday, November 6, 2014, by Natalie Alcala

We're not sure how Joy Bryant does it. In addition to being crazy-beautiful, the former model stars on NBC's hit family drama Parenthood, is an ambassador for Oxfam's Sisters on the Planet, and helms her very own clothing line called Basic Terrain. Launched with her stuntman husband this past June, the collection's bestselling Eden Pant have already been swooped by a handful of top retailers, including Satine, Scoop, Urban Zen, and Fred Segal.

When she's not busy running the world, Glendale-based Bryant enjoys exploring the city for new spots to shop, satiate and sweat it out. Here, she shares eight of her go-to haunts, including an out-of-this-world donut haven in Highland Park and a vintage tee mecca on La Brea.

Joy Bryant's LA Guide

Kelly Cole
    "My go to spot for awesome vintage tees. Kelly has a great eye for the old and for the new. The Kelly Cole label jeans are my favorite jeans."
    175 S. La Brea, Los Angeles, CA 90020
    (323) 692-5012

Ron Robinson
    "The one-stop shop that never gets old. Buy an outfit(from Basic Terrain perhaps?), a fragrance, something for the home, and then top it off with a bowl of pasta."
    8066 Melrose Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90046
    (877) 476-6762

Satine Boutique
    "Super-fly Jeannie Lee has amazing taste and her boutiques are just as fly. She’s another early supporter of Basic Terrain."
    8134 W 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90048
    (323) 655-2142

The Heyoka Hideout
    "Leslie Crow and company bang out the dope handmade leather pieces. They also do custom work,like my white leather fringe moccasin boots."
    137 N Topanga Canyon Blvd, Topanga, CA 90290

Spa Pura
    "We live in Glendale and my neighbor turned me on to this spa. Their Hydro facial is the best."
    2270 Honolulu Avenue, Montrose, CA 91020

Donut Friend
    "Donut heaven. Ask for the Jets To Basil donut. Thank me later."
    5107 York Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90042
    (213) 995-6191

Eagle Claw Kung Fu
    "Master Benson Lee will show you the way. I’m studying Tai Chi there now."
    2775 West Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90041

Althouse
    "Adding to the cool and flavor of DTLA. It’s a beautiful space filled with choice cuts." [Photo courtesy]
    761 South Main Street, Los Angeles, CA 90014
    I have no idea who this is...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sean Hannity

Watch Jon Stewart's face when "martial arts student" Sean Hannity discussed Eric Garner
    Updated by Ezra Klein on December 5, 2014, 10:40 a.m. ET @ezraklein

By signing up, you agree to our terms.

On Wednesday, Jon Stewart couldn't find much to be funny about in Eric Garner's death. "If comedy is tragedy plus time," he said, "I need more ****ing time."

By Thursday, however, he'd found some dark humor in the case — namely, in the rationalizations being made for why police had to choke Garner to death for selling cigarettes. The narrative, if parsed closely, quickly collapses in on itself. As Stewart puts it, it ends up painting Garner as a "a dangerously large, but incredibly fragile, out-of-shape, monster weakling."

In other words, the legend of "the giant negro" is alive here, too, but merged with a secondary rationalization that if Garner simply wasn't so fat — if he had taken more responsibility for his own life — he would still be alive today.

Of course, he would also still be alive today if police hadn't put him in a chokehold.

Speaking of that chokehold, you're not going to want to miss Fox News' Sean Hannity beginning his analysis of the move with "as a martial arts student"...
    I didn't embed the vid. It's nested in the Daily Show site if you really want to see it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Heh, I saw that episode and thought of you...and this thread
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Return of Gisele

Luv her! She is an inspiration to all supermodels.

Gisele Bundchen - Gisele Bundchen's kung fu fun
    by Bang Showbiz | Fashion / Beauty | 06 February 2015

Gisele Bundchen says kung fu is her favourite hobby as it gives her the time to concentrate solely on herself.

Gisele Bundchen practices kung fu to ''nourish'' herself.

The 34-year-old star takes time out from her hectic schedule to fit in regular workouts as she likes to have time to herself where she can clear her mind and focus on her goals.

Speaking about her enthusiasm for the martial art, she said: ''No one can find me, no one can talk to me and it's my moment to nourish myself. If I'm not worrying about what's nourishing me, who is going to do that for me? I do it for my kids, but no one is going to come and tell Gisele, you can't do that. It's about taking responsibility for the life you want to live.''

The supermodel claims she doesn't have time for bad moods and uses meditation to regain perspective if she feels as though she's being dragged into a dark place.

She explained: ''I start my day with gratitude, there is always something to be grateful for. We create our own reality. I can be having a bad day and then I stop myself, and I take a deep breath and I sit there with a second with that feeling - it could be anxiety or discomfort - and then I wait ... I wait for three breathes, and then it's gone.''

Gisele - who has children Benjamin and Vivien with her NFL player husband Tom Brady - starts her and her family's day with a green smoothie made out of ginger, turmeric, kale, cucumber, spinach and apple.

Sharing her reasons for such a healthy breakfast, she added: ''Quite frankly, I feel like our bodies are temples; it's our universe.''

More Gisele below
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Katheryn Winnick

This article takes an odd turn towards the end, as if some subheads are missing.

From martial arts to a career in show business
    By LUAINE LEE
    Tribune News Service February 9, 2015

PASADENA, Calif. — Don't let the honey blond hair, heart-shaped face and off-the-shoulder teal dress fool you. Actress Katheryn Winnick is deadly. A champion in the martial arts, the blond hair and heart-shaped face deceived her opponents. "I have a really strong back kick," she says, seated in a velveteen chair, her hands folded on her lap.

"It was my signature move when I would get into the ring and compete nationally. I would get into the room with these guys, and I remember my instructor told me long ago your very first move out of the gate should be your strongest. They're intimidating, and they think I'm a girl. I remember throwing them a strong, back-piercing kick it's called, right in the gut. And that kind of shocked them."

No one was more shocked than Winnick when she used the discipline of her back-piercing kick to become an actress.

She began martial arts in her native Canada when she was 7. She earned her first black belt at 13 and by the time she was 16 she owned her own martial arts studio in Toronto. "I was getting a degree in kinesiology and thought I was going to be in the martial arts or at least in the fitness industry," she says.

"But when you train at such a high level, especially since I'd been training since I was 7 years old, it's a different type of training. I grew up in a male field where I wasn't allowed to show emotions if I got hurt or punched in the face. And you kind of have to just suck it up and do it. So I started teaching martial arts on movie sets before I was an actress.

"And I started acting classes to discover really who I am and kind of open up and figure out what makes me tick. Because of my martial arts history and my experience, I had a hard time connecting or opening up. So for me it was a personal challenge to take acting classes."

Winnick, 37, always reveled in personal challenges. She was running three martial arts studios in Canada, while commuting between Toronto and New York trying to be an actress.

"I remember at the beginning of my career I just did everything. I did creepy horror movies, I did student films. I've done a lot of stuff I wouldn't dare to watch now, but just to get the experience and just to learn and get comfortable with the sets and lights and people and dialogue. It's a constant struggle. I feel I have so much to learn. You learn every day something new. I'm still really in preschool," she says.

When the role of Lagertha in the History Channel's "Vikings," arrived, Winnick says she knew she was meant to play it.

"When I read the script and found out that Michael Hirst is involved in writing every single episode and I would be a shield maiden and a warrior and a young mother and dealing with the struggles of being a woman in that time period, I just knew I had to do it." She'll be back in Lagertha's homespun wool and animal skins when the series returns on Feb. 19.

While she was confident in the ring, Winnick felt alien on the set. She remembers acting as Jennifer Jason Leigh's personal trainer on David Cronenberg's film, "eXistenZ." "It was the first time I'd ever walked on a set. . . I remember walking on set and I was mesmerized by the sets and how amazing everything was. I was like a kid in a candy store. I remember I couldn't afford my first head-shot so I ended up getting a set photographer to shoot me in the field, and in return I gave her martial arts lessons."

It has taken Winnick a long time to feel comfortable as an actress. "It's in the last six years that I've actually accepted that this is what I love to do, and I'm not going away. This is my career. Since then, I started changing my team. I'm working with great agents and choosing projects that are more of a smarter move than necessarily for the sake of working to put food on the table and a roof over your head - just changing my way of working on a career vs. a job."

She thinks she inherited her drive and focus from her family. "I come from a very loving Ukrainian family. They've always instilled in me that hard work will pay off. No one's going to give you anything. You can't rely on your looks. You can't rely on who you know. You need to work hard. With the martial arts discipline of training four hours a day or training for competition or tournaments, you really have to have strong perseverance and you need to have dedication," she says.

"No one's going to push you unless you push yourself. I think that has translated for me as an adult in my work ethic. If I didn't have that spirit of not giving up, I don't know that I would've been able to deal with the rejection in this business as a young actor when you're just starting out. You constantly want to push yourself in new challenges."

Winnick says she has wanted to quit a million times. "You second-guess yourself all the time but when you're connected, and when you have good material, it feels so good and that high, that being in the zone - you don't always get it. You get it maybe three times a year if you're lucky - that is the drive that keeps me going."

Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara, who were so funny in the Christopher Guest movies like "Waiting for Guffman" and "A Mighty Wind," are back together in a new sitcom, "Schitt's Creek," premiering on the Pop Channel Wednesday. O'Hara says that when she suggests a comic idea to Levy, he never gives her an immediate answer.

"I'll still badger him, but I've mostly learned to just wait, give as many cases as I can. I present my case, and then I just wait. The great thing about Eugene is he will never just say 'no' or just say 'yes.' He's just such a thoughtful man, and he will go away and think about it. And he will come back and say, 'Yes, and this is why,' and make a better case than I did. Or he'll come back and say, 'No, but this is what we. . .' I feel like I'm in good hands, and I feel like I'm respected with Eugene, and that when we agree and when we disagree it's about the work and it's not some old crap coming up which I don't have with Eugene, thank God."

One of the most controversial shows ready to launch is NBC's "The Slap," premiering on Thursday. It's about an incident at a party where a non-parent slaps a misbehaving child and the repercussions of that act. Based on a book and an Australian series, "The Slap" is adapted by Jon Robin Baitz and stars, among others, Uma Thurman.

Times have changed, says Thurman. When she was growing up it was common for parents to swat their children. "There was a lot of hitting, and hitting was acceptable," she says. "One of the things I love about the piece is it's a very interesting cultural exploration of the changing face of how to treat a human being, of compassion, of family, what's acceptable, what's not acceptable. I think Robin explores this in the old world, like who can blame their parent who is lashed in the woodshed if they slapped you a few times, and they think they did nothing to you because they were brutalized? So they're blinded by their own trauma from even how they may have behaved. I think Robin explores this on a cultural level in a way we really do understand. My daughter is very smart and says, 'There's two types of people. There's reactors, and there's repeaters.'"

Dutch-born veterinarian, Dr. Jan Pol, never thought he'd be a TV star. But his show, "The Incredible Dr. Pol" has proved to be the No. 1 hit show for NatGeo WILD. He's been in practice for 44 years and has treated more than 500,000 animals. He doesn't discriminate, either. It can be a cow, a beaver, an alpaca or a snake. "It happened a couple times in my practice where somebody had a pet snake and was giving the snake a rat to eat but didn't watch it, and then the rat started eating the snake. And that's going to be in one of these upcoming shows," he says.

"Honestly, they bring the snake in without the rat, and I treat the snake. Many veterinarians are afraid to because they don't know the animals. They are not taught, but through all my years, I'll just take it. It's an animal. It needs help. I'll help it."

(Luaine Lee is a California-based correspondent who covers entertainment for Tribune News Service.)
    I didn't know who Katheryn Winnick was as I don't watch Vikings so I dug up some pix.

Now to ttt Sword-hotties
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Freddie Prinze Jr.

Freddie Prinze Jr. Cooks With Daughter Charlotte, 5, Does Jiu-Jitsu Martial Arts: Sweet Instagram Photo
    Celebrity News Jan. 17, 2015 AT 5:00PM By Stephanie Webber

Freddie Prinze Jr. shared a sweet Instagram photo cooking with his daughter Charlotte, 5, on Wednesday, Jan. 14 -- Plus, Sarah Michelle Gellar shares her latest milestones! Credit: Courtesy of Freddie Prinze Jr/Twitter

Charlotte is growing up! Freddie Prinze Jr. shared a rare (and very sweet!) Instagram photo of his 5-year-old daughter cooking with him in the kitchen on Wednesday, Jan. 14.

"#Dad&Daughter 1st jiu-jitsu together. 2nd pasta sauce. I tapped out on the 1st. She tapped on the 2nd," the Star Wars Rebels actor, 38, captioned. The father-daughter duo appeared to still be in their martial arts sweats while cooking up a storm for Charlotte's famous mom Sarah Michelle Gellar and her little brother, 2-year-old Rocky.

The couple's little girl sure has been busy picking up new hobbies. Gellar, 37, shared some of Charlotte's latest milestones via Twitter earlier this month.

"When I grow up, I'm going to be a worker, doctor, mommy and a mermaid"-my five year old #OhToBeYoung," the Buffy the Vampire Slayer alum tweeted on Jan. 3.

She added on Jan. 8: "Proud mom moment-took my daughter to get her first library card and check out books yesterday. #ILoveTheLibrary Just wanted to share."

Prinze Jr. and Gellar first met on set of 1997's I Know What You Did Last Summer, and married in Mexico in September 2002. "I feel like I've already accomplished so much in life that everything else is kind of gravy," Gellar told Wonderwall of her family in August 2013. "I just feel very lucky."
    I confess that I've been enjoying Star Wars Rebels immensely, much more so than I liked Clone Wars.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kelly Brook

Not sure I know who Kelly is. However I do know Hu Jianqiang (OCT 99 - Hu Jiangqiang: Wushu Star of Zhejiang and Shaolin Temple By Susan Pertel Jain Ph.D.)

'Sparring with Grand Master Hu': Kelly Brook tries out a martial arts class as her weight loss mission continues in LA
    By REBECCA DAVISON FOR MAILONLINE
    PUBLISHED: 13:29 EST, 12 February 2015 | UPDATED: 13:42 EST, 12 February 2015

She's been documenting her health and fitness plan on her various social networking accounts and Kelly Brook has shared a video of herself indulging a spot of martial arts.
    The 35-year-old gives it all she's got as she learns the ancient art, which is a modernised version of traditional Shaolin Kung Fu.
    Kelly captioned the video with the words: ' Sparring with Grand Master Hu #Wushu #ShaolinWushuSchool #LA.'
    Scroll Down For Video

Going for it: Kelly Brook has shared a video of herself indulging a spot of martial arts to her Instagram account
    According to the website, Hu Jianqiang is the highest ranking Wushu master in the West.

Grand Master Hu began full-time Wushu training at the age of ten when he was accepted into the Zhejiang Wushu Institute.
    The British actress has also shared a video of herself doing some tricep dips by the beach in Los Angeles as she maintains her daily workouts to get back into shape.
    Wearing a low-cut top with black leggings, Kelly had a look of determination on her face.
    Don't mess with her! Kelly Brook shows new kickboxing skills

Picking up tips: She can be seen learning the ancient skill with Grand Master Hu Jianqiang in LA

Sparring partner: Kelly looks like she means business as she engages in body combat
    She also took to Instagram this week to post a throwback bikini picture from her time in Mexico.
    Perhaps pining for her old look, the buxom 35-year-old gave her followers a view of her former self with the snap which also saw her sporting blonde hair.
    In the photograph, Kelly can be seen holding up a vintage camera to her face as she stands in front of green bushes.

Working out: Kelly Brook shares an Instagram video of herself exercising by an LA beach
    Kelly Brook shows off new muscles in instagram video

Dips: The actress has been working hard to get back into shape since January

Self-ie motivation... Kelly Brook pined for her old bikini body on Wednesday with a throwback picture

She's still got it! Kelly smouldered as she posted a selfie in the sun which she captioned: 'golden hour'
    Posing in a turquoise bikini top, which was beautified with gold detailing, Brook looked a million dollars.
    Giving some information about when the picture was taken, she captioned the image: 'Blondie #Tulum #Mexico #UxuaCasa #Trancoso'.
    But proving that she's still got it, Brook stunned in another selfie she posted to the photo-sharing application.
    Soaking up the sun, the British beauty looked amazing as she tilted her head back and showed off her flawless complexion.
    Kelly Brook shows off new slimline figure on hike in LA

Picture perfect: Brook is an avid user of the photo-sharing app and likes to keep her followers up to date
    Lining her brown eyes with lashes of mascara, the labelled the picture: 'golden hour'.
    Kelly is currently living in Los Angeles as she attempts to revitalise her career as an actress.
    She stars in upcoming new sitcom One Big Happy, an Ellen DeGeneres-produced comedy starring the likes of Elisha Cuthbert and Nick Zano.
    The show hits screens in March sees Kelly take on the role of a fun-loving British woman living in America, who falls in love with a man... who has also impregnated his lesbian friend.

Flawless: Kelly stepped out in Beverly Hills make-up free on Monday as she hit the stores
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Willow Smith

Well, not quite yet. Soon hopefully. Dreads will probably be first.

Willow Smith Wants to Get Dreads and Learn Martial Arts
    by Zach Seemayer 6:25 PM PST, March 04, 2015

Larry Busacca / Getty Images

Willow Smith has revealed her 2015 goal, and one of them is her desire to wear dreads.

Smith, who is featured in a photo spread in the latest issue of CR Fashion Book, said that she wants to try something new with her hair, as an extension of her personality.

"I just want to have dreads. I want to embrace my full self, as natural as I can be," Smith said. "I think my look changes all of the time, and right now it's a bit more messy, kind of grungy."

Among her other goals for the year, the 14-year-old singer said she also wants to learn capoeira, the art of Brazilian dance fighting, and Krav Maga, a martial art developed by the Israeli military.

Smith is perhaps moving on from her previous interests, which included "Quantum Physics," painting, and Prana energy meditation.

Recently, fellow singer Zendaya walked the red carpet at the Oscars rocking dreadlocks. Her new hairdo resulted in Fashion Police host Giuliana Rancic making some controversial comments about the young star's new style. Rancic said Zendaya looks like she "smells like patchouli oil... or weed."

After heavy criticism online, Rancic apologized to Zendaya profusely.

Smith is no stranger to controversy herself. One of the young celeb's other hobby seems to be stirring up commenters on the internet.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Patrick Byrne

There's a lot of the transcript if you follow the link. I suppose you could just jump to the MMA part, but I gave up.

Overstock's Patrick Byrne on Bitcoin, Net Neutrality, and Mixed Martial Arts
    Nick Gillespie & Alexis Garcia | April 9, 2015

Patrick Byrne heads up Overstock.com, one of the world’s largest online retailers, with over $1.3 billion in sales annually. An ardent proponent of Bitcoin and related blockchain technologies and a strong opponent of Net Neutrality and Internet sales taxes, Byrne is also a skydiver, a black belt in tae kwon do, and a protege of Warren Buffet.

Born in 1962, Byrne is an outspoken proponent of school choice and serves as chairman of the Friedman Foundation for Educational Choice. A libertarian who traces his interest in free markets to stumbling across old Newsweek columns by Milton Friedman while living in Thailand, Byrne earned a Ph.D. from Stanford with a dissertation on Robert Nozick's Anarchy, State, and Utopia.

Reason's Nick Gillespie sat down with Byrne at the 2015 Liberty Forum in New Hampshire to discuss libertarian philosophy, net neutrality, bitcoin, his relationship with Warren Buffett, and learning mixed martial arts from the Gracie family, widely credited with bringing the form to the United States.

About 80 minutes.

Produced by Alexis Garcia.

Cameras by Meredith Bragg and Jim Epstein. Edited by Alexis Garcia.

Scroll down for downloadable versions and subscribe to Reason TV's YouTube Channel to receive notifications when new material goes live.

Contents

Philosophy on school choice and meeting Milton Friedman (0:34)
    Why it’s important to fight the Internet sales tax (4:40)
    Byrne’s opinion on net neutrality laws (10:57)
    Philosophical influences (22:40)
    Byrne talks about love for sky diving, martial arts, and Buddhism (32:10)
    Relationship with Warren Buffett (46:35)
    Plans for block chain technology (54:30)
    What makes Byrne optimistic and what innovations does he see in the future? (1:05:00)
    Byrne’s advice for millennials (1:08:00)

This is a rush transcript. Check for accuracy against video.

reason: We're going to get started now with the finale. An intimate interview with Patrick Byrne—who knows it is a Saturday night and I'm sure Patrick is loaded. I know all of you are— so we'll start talking. Patrick, my first question—I think you spoke eloquently and inarguably about not only the need for school choice, but the way to get it done. Here's a question for you, you talked about Milton and Rose Friedman. You're the chair of the Friedman Foundation for Education. How did you first encounter Milton and Rose's work? What was the context for that and were they your gateway into a libertarian worldview?

Patrick Byrne, Overstock.com Founder: It was oddly enough in 1984 I was living in the north of Thailand in a little house by a refugee camp that in the 60s and early 70s some people from the American military had lived there, and there wasn't much to do. But there was a stack of TIME or Newsweek or such in the garage. So I started reading through this stack and found these essays by Milton Friedman, who I had heard of in my college economics classes, but had not studied closely. And his essays made such impeccable sense to me and that's when I first really started getting exposed to his thinking, just these popular essays.

reason: So you were reading years old Newsweek columns?

BYRNE: Right.

reason: That’s great.

BYRNE: And the I came back and I finished up and I did a minor in economics at Dartmouth. And I was also doing philosophy in the standard dose of philosophy. And it wasn't until I was well into my PhD program that I realized, "Gee, a lot of this stuff that I'm learning in political philosophy—John Rawl’s stuff— is fundamentally inconsistent." I thought I was studying two different subjects. I gradually put it together that it was really quite inconsistent and I had to choose sides. And then I saw Milton on cable at Stanford he did what they call local access when you have local access TV. I saw him doing a talk on school choice in the Stanford community. And people came in loaded bear of course. If you ever saw Milton Friedman in a debate, it was like watching a little Aikido master flipping people around. And these folks would come in from a very statist intellectual community—in general—and try to debate him. And he was in invariably gentle and polite and ran circles around people. And I'll never forget my Pop and I watched that local access TV that night and I think we both decided then if there's one thing that would make an enormous difference for America it’s fixing the educational system. So that's really where it got going. And then Ed Crane of Cato, came by one time around 2000, came by Utah, and met me and we had lunch and I told him about my great admiration for Milton Friedman. And he said, "Well, Milton and I are old friends, let me arrange a meeting" and we met and that's how our relationship started.

reason: Here's a harder question. And one of the earlier questions after your talk was from one of my fellow Reason colleagues and this one is from another one who's here tonight. Should the state be involved with education? Or is that a second best option? Or can you make the case that education is a public good or should be supplied by the state?

BYRNE: Well, Milton did speak of ideally someday maybe it is. We'd get more education at a lower cost if it ultimately was completely private and you bought education for your kids just like you buy shingles for your roof and it was completely private. I think it’s the kind of thing that when in doubt you want to be a little bit cautious with. And rather than leaving things entirely up to the private market—it's a bit paternalistic to say, "No, you have to educate the children. You don't get a choice about that", but to leave the form of education up to the parents. I think that's a good healthy step. And if we took that step, let another 50 years go by and then start thinking about the next step.

Nick Gillespie is the editor in chief of Reason.com and Reason TV and the co-author of The Declaration of Independents: How Libertarian Politics Can Fix What's Wrong With America, just out in paperback.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

David Lee Roth

But we knew that already....
    David Lee Roth: Rock’s Best Martial Artist?
    by Jeff Giles April 10, 2015 9:54 AM

As the members of Van Halen would have been happy to tell you at pretty much any point between 1985 and 2007, David Lee Roth isn’t always the easiest guy to get along with. He generally seems fairly cheerful, though, so it’s sometimes possible to forget that he possesses hands and feet of lethal flying fury.

Vice’s Fightland blog reminds us of Roth’s martial-arts prowess with a post that begins with a nod toward his training in high-level kenjutsu — which has left him, in his words, “the master of the six-foot staff” — and wanders back in time to the early years of his recording career, pausing along the way for a couple of detours into more recent history.

Of course, anyone who follows Roth’s antics — either online or onstage — is well aware of his fondness for high-kicking and staff-wielding, as well as his occasional tendency to injure himself in the line of duty (as he did when he suffered a painful mishap during Van Halen’s recent appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live!). And the post might miss a story or two, like the time Roth reportedly broke his foot landing the mid-air split he’s pictured doing on the back of Van Halen II.

But it’s all still pretty interesting nonetheless, and a solid primer for those who might not be aware of Diamond Dave’s lifelong dedication to martial arts. Check it out, and then take another look at the unexplained short film he posted a couple of years ago, in which he plays a hitman delivering Far Eastern justice to some thugs.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Octavia Spencer

I was unaware of this book series.

Oscar Award Winning Octavia Spencer Opens Up About Her Battle With Dyslexia
    Apr 17, 2015
    By Shacole Holt

Would you believe that Oscar Award winning Octavia Spencer had trouble reading? She recently talked about her battle with dyslexia and how the words would become confusing, causing her to read paragraphs more than once which would ultimately cause her to grow disinterested.

Spencer learned from a teacher that if the stories she read were mysteries that could possibly help her stay engrossed in reading.

“I’m reading today because of Encyclopedia Brown,” the 44-year-old actress informed students from Geneva Middle Schools North and South at an assembly.

She revealed her fondness for martial-arts actors Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee; which motivated her to start writing the “Randi Rhodes Ninja Detective” books for middle school readers which are popular amongst both kids and parents.

Spencer, who’s a seasoned actress and is most popular from her Academy Award winning role in 2012 for The Help, and she describes the irony of her as a little girl despising reading to becoming an author of her own book.

“Encyclopedia Brown was my first boyfriend, in my mind,” Spencer confessed on The View recently. For her, creative mystery books were essential to keeping her engaged and which got her primarily enthusiastic about acting.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ryan Guzman part 2

Ryan Guzman part 1

Ryan Guzman still has mixed martial arts fighting dreams

NEW YORK, NY - JANUARY 21: Ryan Guzman and Jennifer Lopez attend AOL Build Speaker Series: Jennifer Lopez And Ryan Guzman at AOL Studios In New York on January 21, 2015 in New York City. (Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images)
    Ryan Guzman, Jennifer Lopez (Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images)
    Published: 8:18 am
    Updated: 8:20 am

Jennifer Lopez's menacing boy toy in "The Boy Next Door" is hoping to scale the heights of Hollywood quickly, so he can return to cage fighting.

Ryan Guzman, 27, was a promising mixed martial arts fighter before he started landing film and TV roles, but he admits he hasn't given up on his tough sporting dreams.

He tells Latino-Review.com, "That's a big, big passion of mine. I still train today. I hope that eventually to be successful enough to take time off and get back into MMA to do some fights.

"I love it... Hopefully I'll be fighting in the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship). That was my dream. I would like to be fighting in the UFC if I wasn't an actor now.
    Copyright WENN.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    But we knew that already....

While that is a Kenjutsu move that he is doing ( iaijutsu move to be more specific), kenjutsu PROPER doesn't make one a mater of the BO.
    Bojutsu would be part of the curriculum in a KOry systems of Bujutsu.
    I would be curious to see what style of bujutsu he is doing.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !