Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrities studying martial arts?

Suki Waterhouse

THU, 10 DECEMBER 2015 AT 12:00 AM
    Suki Waterhouse On Her Martial Arts Training: 'Getting Punched In The Boob Is Painful'

Suki Waterhouse nabs her own cover for the January 2016 issue of Marie Claire magazine.

The 23-year-old actress shares the cover of the Next Big Thing issue with Pride and Prejudice and Zombies co-stars Lily James and Bella Heathcote.

Here’s what the three actresses had to share:

Lily on her initial thoughts on the movie: “When I saw the e-mail from my agent, I was like, This sounds terrible! Then within 20 pages of the script, I thought, This is so cool! Somehow these two worlds join together, and it’s a riot.”

Bella on the parallels to her love life and Pride and Prejudice: “There’s been a fair amount of lust at first sight. The closest I’ve come to a Pride and Prejudice relationship is Liz and Darcy-trying to fight it until you just couldn’t.”

Suki on being a brown belt in karate and going through martial arts training for the film: “I grew up doing karate, and my dad taught at our local center. I stopped doing it when I started getting boobs, because I’d get punched in the boob, and it would be so painful.”
    At least she'll be ready for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Laurie Anderson

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux

JUSTIN THEROUX & JENNIFER ANISTON GET THEIR KICKS FROM KARATE

Published on: December 8, 2015
    by NATIONAL ENQUIRER STAFF
    Photography by: Getty

Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux, 44, are battering each other into shape — literally!

The super-fit couple, who tied the knot in August after four years of dating, has become obsessed with martial arts workouts, sources told The National ENQUIRER.

“They’ve become great sparring partners,” an insider revealed. “Jen’s been into Budokon for years, and she and Courteney (Cox) used to do classes with well-respected martial arts teacher Cameron Shayne.

“Jen swears by it for upper body strength and cardio — and Justin’s really into it now, too. It’s fast becoming an obsession for them.”

The actress, 46, is even talking about having one of the rooms in their Bel-Air home turned into a dojo studio, according to the source.

“Jen’s been into martial arts for years. She’s been urging Justin to try it with her for a long time, but he was reluctant because he hated the idea of hurting her,” added the insider. “But since he tried these new routines he’s become as hooked as Jen!

“Justin says it’s a turn-on to be married to someone so fit and feisty as Jen. He says they’ve had some of the most passionate nights after their martial arts workouts, when they’re all sweaty and in the zone.
    I'm not a huge fan of Jennifer, but I would watch her spar Courteney.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Teresa Ting

Talented Teresa Ting stars in human trafficking film 'She Has a Name'
    January 22, 2016
    5:39 PM MST

On Jan. 22, 2016, the rep for native New Yorker Teresa Ting shared what this talented young lady has been up to lately in the world of entertainment. Her recent starring role was in a film about girls and human trafficking in Thailand. The film's name is "She Has a Name," and it is in post-production. According to IMDb, one of its shooting locations was Bangkok, Thailand.

Teresa Ting, Photo: used with permission by Eddie Augustine

Before Ting even got this far in her acting career, she kept busy. A couple of things that kept her occupied were earning a college degree and studying martial arts. She grew up in Queens, and she is bilingual in English and Mandarin Chinese. Ting graduated from NYU with a BA in psychology, and then dove straight into acting!

Ting began studying martial arts at the age of 6. She studied under her father whose idol was the legendary Bruce Lee. She trained in Taekwondo for eight years and obtained her 3rd degree black belt. Early on she fell in love with Kung-Fu and action flicks. Inspired by Jet Li and Jackie Chan, she dreamed of being an action heroine who could kick ass!

Soon Ting ventured into another style of martial arts, traditional Chinese Shaolin Kung-Fu. It was there when she built her foundation in weaponry and acrobatics. Later she explored the more aesthetic and competitive field of Kung-Fu called Contemporary Wushu, which she continues to currently study and has entered several National Wushu Team Trial competitions.

"Ting's eclectic background and training prove her unique." - Eddie Augustine

Rep Eddie Augustine said that Ting's role in her latest film, "She Has a Name," is a North American production. This film, and others, have helped Teresa Ting to explode into the world of film, so much so that she has been on the Asian On Film's Top Asian Actress List. She also had a role in "Orange is The New Black" (2013 TV series).

Aside from being an actress and full time ninja, Teresa Ting is also a figure skating coach. She started skating competitively at the age of 7 until a junior in high school. As a coach, she enjoys working with children and hopes to inspire the young generation through her passion and teaching. If she doesn’t sound busy enough already, she is also a dancer and choreographer specializing in Hip-hop, Jazz, Contemporary, and Latin Ballroom. Being submerged in so many areas, including acting, it is no wonder that Teresa Ting is a top Asian actress!

Getting back to Ting's recent film work, here is a synopsis of "She Has a Name."

"In Bangkok, Thailand, the Pearl is a popular destination for sex tourists, famous for beautiful girls from all over South East Asia and the place where Jason, an American lawyer, poses as a john so he can secretly meet with prostitutes. A young Cambodian girl known only as number 18 can be a key witness for his case. Jason must convince 18 to testify against her cutthroat pimp. As Jason travels from brothel to seedy brothel in the thriving red light districts of Bangkok, he starts to build a relationship with 18. He sees in her, reflections of the young daughters he has left far away." - Unveil Studios

Through her hard work and training, Ting has found her passion for performing, and her soul is in the entertainment universe. She hopes to bring her cultural influences and diverse training to the camera, making a name for women in the action genre, thus revolutionizing the film world. Enjoy discovering more about Teresa Ting at various links above, resume, slideshow and videos, including her ACTION Reel.

Surprised I haven't heard of ting before. Perhaps I have and forgot.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Olivia Munn

This is what I like to hear. I was going to post this to our Sword-hotties thread, but MightyB beat me to the punch.

Olivia Munn Keeps Sword Training And Martial Arts In Her Workout Regiment After X-men Movie
    By WENN in Movies / TV / Theatre on 09 February 2016

Actress Olivia Munn has adopted sword training and martial arts as her regular workout routine after engaging in the sports to get in shape for the new X-Men movie.

The Mortdecai star, who plays Psylocke in X-Men: Apocalypse, recently admitted she didn't like the idea of having to work out for the film, but when she began to train in martial arts and sword play she loved the confidence her fight clubs gave her.

"The beginning of the movie I do look different," she said last month (Jan16). "If you watch the movie from the beginning to my fight scene, I lost, like, 12 pounds, because when I started I was like, 'I'm the relateable actress, I can eat whatever...'

"But then I started training for, like, six or seven hours a day - martial arts and sword training - so that I could become as lethal as I could, and I needed to feel as confident as Psylocke as I could. So six or seven hours a day for, like, two months (I trained) and then I lost 12 pounds. I feel very strong and it's an awesome feeling."

While the workouts were intense, Munn has continued the regiment and even keeps her sword at home to train.

"I still do taekwondo (martial art form) and I have a sword closet at home," she tells E! News. "It's really a great exercise for me to do."

The 35-year-old was thrilled with her onset body, but she was not happy about having to put on her costume, because she had to use a lubricant to help her slip it on.

"(Psylocke's uniform) is not the most glamour thing to put on (sic)," she adds.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Having posted song vids in boxerbilly's favorite songs thread, I was reminded that Grace Slick and Paul Kantner (of Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship) studied MA for a while. Grace Slick said they took up White Crane Kung Fu in San Francisco, naming Ron Dong and a Master Long as teachers. Being in San Francisco, I'm pretty sure it wasn't Fujian White Crane, but more likely 'Hop Ga' White Crane.

They also studied TKD under well-known Korean master Byong Yu.

Grace Slick mentioned that, although she highly respects Kung Fu expertise, she herself lacked the physical and mental discipline to keep up the practice herself.

Priyanka Chopra

This now deserves a thread here.

No srsly.

This Is the New Martial Arts Form, Which Priyanka Chopra Will Learn for 'Baywatch'
    Dailybhaskar.com | Mar 28, 2016, 12:42PM IST

The internationally acclaimed actress, Priyanka Chopra, has been part of many films that required her in action avatar.

She has done numerous fighting sequences in movies like Jai GangaaJal, Mary Kom, Drona, Don among others. Because of it, she has learnt many martial art forms. Now, she is all set to learn a new form for her Hollywood venture.

Reports suggest that PeeCee will be learning 'Kajukenbo', for her stunts in film adaptation of popular TV series Baywatch. On the same a source has been quoted saying, “She is always up for trying new stunts and techniques, and she is really excited about preparing for this role. Apparently, one of the best Kajukenbo trainers in America has been hired to work with her.”

The form which the actress will start learning is an American hybrid martial art. The name 'Kajukenbo' is a portmanteau of the various arts from which its style is derived: KA for Karate and Tang Soo Do Korean Karate, JU for Judo and Jujutsu, KEN for Kenpo and BO for Western and Chinese Boxing.
    Kajukenbo. "New Martial Art"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Daisy Ridley!

Extra points for being Wushu and Star Wars!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Josh Herdman

If you're a Harry Potter nerd like me, and you know who Goyle is, this is kind of funny.

'Harry Potter' star Josh Herdman begins MMA career
    By Wade Sheridan | April 27, 2016 at 7:55 AM

LONDON, April 27 (UPI) -- Harry Potter star Josh Herdman has left the Wizarding World behind for the octagon as he launched his MMA fighting career.

Herman who portrayed Draco Malfoy associate Gregory Goyle in all eight Harry Potter films, made his MMA debut in London recently defeating Polish fighter Janusz Walachowski in his first official match at Rise of Champions 2.

Herdman won the amateur bout after earning more points from the judges table.

"Result | @Josh_Herdman def. Janusz Walachowski via unanimous decision #RoC2," noted the official Twitter account of Rise of Champions declaring Herdman the victor.
    "I've been training traditional Japanese jujitsu for nearly five years and hold a shodan black belt, he told Addicted OTR about his training and how he got into mixed martial arts. "It's raw, exciting and unpredictable. I find it more interesting than boxing although I appreciate the beauty and art in boxing. It also made sense to move onto MMA because of my jujitsu training."

Despite becoming a fighter, Herdman also mentioned how he is still open to acting."I haven't fallen out of love with [acting], I still have an agent and still go for auditions. It's just a little bit like playing the lottery for a living," he said. "I don't see it so much as a career change, I am passionate about both acting and fighting."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jaimie Alexander

Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Bourbon, ChapStick and Martial Arts: How Actress Jaimie Alexander Travels
    by Jordi Lippe-McGraw May 15, 2016

GVK/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images

The actress revealed her on-the-go essentials.

Blindspot star Jaimie Alexander is known for her tough girl persona on TV, but admitted she’s a bundle of nerves when it comes to flying. “I’m a nervous flyer, but I’m also an adrenaline junkie so it’s a weird phobia I have,” Jaimie told Travel + Leisure at the Operation Smile's 14th Annual Smile Gala in New York City on Thursday. “I will hang outside of a helicopter, but if you put me on a commercial flight I will freak out.”

Despite her fear, Alexander said she still loves to hit the road and revealed her travel tips on everything from beauty products to staying healthy on the go. Here’s what she had to say:

Her flight essentials include ChapStick, mist and Xanax

“I always have La Prairie sunscreen with me when I travel because it seems to be the only one that doesn’t make me breakout. Then I always have a good ChapStick and Le Mer mist. Depending on how far you’re flying, you’re skin just dries out. If you can get the travel size that’s allowed on the airplane, it’s so refreshing. Then there’s always the occasional Xanax depending on how long I have to fly.”

She drinks on the plane

“My stylist usually has to hold my hand or get me a bourbon to get through a flight.”

She does martial arts breathing

“I started doing Wang Chung and training in lots of different types of martial arts lately. There’s a techniques in breathing that have grounded me in more ways than one. When I was up in the air on the way to Cancun I got a little nervous at one point and I started doing the breathing we learned and it helped me. I thought it was such bollox and it worked.”

She has an on-the-go workout plan

“I try to eat as healthy as possible on the road when I can’t work out. When I do get the chance to workout I do a lot of prison workouts or martial arts. You don’t need heavy weights or bands or mat. You can just go into the park and do push ups, burpees, crunches, jumping jacks, just anything to get your blood pumping."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Elizabeth Lazan

Actress Elizabeth Lazan stays focused with Shaolin gongfu

Photo: Sharon Leisinger

Ms Lazan took ballet lessons when she was young and participated in various sports in school. At CHIJ (Katong) Primary, she ran for the school team. She also played netball for CHIJ Katong Convent. "I would train about three times a week after school," she said. "Sports was my favourite escape from studying."

She has tried Muay Thai and is now into Shaolin gongfu. A Singaporean of mixed parentage, she moved to Los Angeles about a year ago and returns here for various projects. The Fly Entertainment artist is married to Mr Ivan Lee Mora, a glass artist and designer.

Q. How important is it for you to keep up with your fitness routine?
    A. It is really necessary for me, not just physically, but because I also do get impatient or restless when I have too long a lull period. I hike in a park or nature reserve as I enjoy exercising outdoors.
    My fitness gear goes with me wherever I travel. I will always find a way to squeeze in a morning run or do some toning repetitions.

Q. What do you like about Shaolin gongfu?
    A. I picked it up in Los Angeles, California, about a year ago and I train one-on-one with a teacher at an outdoor park.
    The thing I love about it is that it combines mental and physical well-being. You learn how to stay focused and disciplined, while simultaneously training for overall health, flexibility and stamina.

Q. What is your secret to looking fabulous?
    A. I truly believe that by maintaining a balanced lifestyle and healthy mind, you will have a healthy body and a healthy glow.

Photo sources: The Straits Times, My Paper, Sharon Leisinger

Q. Has there ever been a time when you were not fit and fab?
    A. During my university days in Australia, I regularly ate unhealthy or fast food including pizza and pastries. Naturally, I put on weight.
    I had a reality check when I returned to Singapore. I realised I had to take better care of my body and health.

Q. What is your diet like?
    A. I'm always hungry. So I take many small meals throughout the day to keep my hunger in check.
    I also limit my carbohydrate intake to only one meal a day as well as abstain from eating meat twice a week.
    And once a week, I give myself a cheat day and have my favourite ice cream.

Q. What are your indulgences?
    A. My kryptonite is definitely chocolates and cookies.

Q. How do you maintain a healthy work-life balance?
    A. I go to the beach, listen to live music, binge on Netflix or go on a hike.

I find it therapeutic to be active and be surrounded by nature. No matter how busy I get, I will always find a way to wind down with one of these activities.
    Q. What are the three most important things in your life?
    A. Family, friends and travelling.

Q. What's your favourite part of your body?
    A. It's hard to compliment yourself but people say I have nice arms and I have to say that they are also my favourite.
    My least favourite would be my ears because they stick out.
    No idea who she is but IMDB says she was in Shinobi Girl, which I keep meaning to watch.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chris Hemsworth

Hemsworth’s wife Elsa Pataky is one lucky lady. Picture: Instagram.

Confidential
    Chris Hemsworth’s hottest picture yet! ‘Channelling my Kung Fu Panda’
    Lou Parker, The Daily Telegraph
    July 18, 2016 8:56pm

Just when you thought Chris Hemsworth couldn’t get any hotter, he goes and pulls a stunt like this!

"Channelling my Kung Fu Panda." Picture: Instagram.
    The 32-year-old Aussie heart-throb gave fans a treat, baring his chiselled, tanned torso, posing for an action snap while taking a much-needed break at the heavenly Qualia Resort on Hamilton Island.

“Channelling my Kung Fu Panda,” he captioned the picture which made fans weak to their knees.

“Beautiful man,” one fan gushed, while another commented, “You are so dreamy”.

This mega star takes his workout seriously. Picture: Instagram

Hemsworth training for Thor 3 is a sight for sore eyes. Picture: Instagram
    It seems all that time at the gym has paid off for the star, who’s been getting ripped for the latest Thor instalment, which is currently being filmed at the Gold Coast.

The jaw-dropping Instagram upload comes just after Paramount Pictures yesterday confirmed the actor will be in Star Trek 4.

Fans can’t get enough of this hot Aussie star. Picture: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP.
    srsly? is this legit? anyone know if Hemsworth really trains?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Meagan Good

Another two-fer. Today is a good day for feeding the forum newsbits.

Monday, July 18, 2016 | 01:20 PM
    Meagan Good Doing Martial Arts is Literally #FitGoals
    Alexis Reliford

PHOTO CREDIT: INSTAGRAM/@SONECAMA

When it comes to looking amazing, Meagan Good sure gets the job done!
    From every time she steps on to the red carpet to the time when her anniversary vacation beach photo almost broke the internet, it’s hard not to marvel at her fit physique—and wonder just how she manages to stay looking so great (you know besides just basking in the fountain of youth!)
    And finally we’ve been granted a peek into her workout plan! The actress recently showed off her strong core and power kicks on the ‘gram while doing martial arts at the Soneca Martial Arts studio in the West Los Angeles area
    Just look at those legs!
    According to Soneca, martial arts—originating in in Korea more than 2000 years ago—is not only a great way to build physical fitness, but also serves as a great stress reliever, and increases flexibility, strength and confidence.
    “Every morning when I get up I nine times out of 10 don't feel like working out,” Meagan wrote in the comments. “But I made a commitment to myself and to my purpose in calling in life and I believe part of that entails being healthy and being in good shape so I can be available for all God has called me to.”
    We couldn’t agree more girl—and if this is how you stay so toned up, sign us up immediately!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jessica Alba

Or not. Well, it's Jessica Alba so we'll just have to forgive her shielding her kids from her practice.

Jessica Alba: No fighting in front of the kids
    Bryan Alexander, USA TODAY 3:10 a.m. EDT August 23, 2016

Jessica Alba is all smiles at home, no fighting. (Photo: AFP/Getty Images)

Jessica Alba fights alongside Jason Statham in Mechanic: Resurrection (opening Friday).

But the actress, 35, keeps her action side a secret from her true homelife with daughters Honor, 8, and Haven, 5, to husband Cash Warren.

"I don't even do fight training at home. I go to the gym for that," Alba told USA TODAY at the Resurrection premiere at Los Angeles' Arclight Theater on Monday. "And they won't see this movie. It's not appropriate."

Jason Statham stars as a contract killer who must eliminate a set of targets before his enemy kills his wife.

That means her daughters will not experience the joys of seeing Alba in films like 2010's Machete, where she placed a well-aimed stiletto into an attacker's forehead.

When Alba does come clean about her action side, there will be stories to tell.

For example, during the Resurrection shoot, Alba had one scene where she had to punch an attacker in the groin (seen in the trailer). She studied Krav Maga martial arts, but there were some casualties in that sequence with the stunt man.

"He didn't put the belt low enough in a couple of takes," Alba said. "It happens so quickly. You make contact. I didn't make anyone bleed."

Even in her stunning premiere Dolce & Gabbana gown, Alba made clear she could go rogue at any moment.

"I could hurt you," she said. "But I'm not lethal. I'd probably just stun you."

Don't kill those guys yet, your kids might be watching. (Photo: AP)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Demi Lovato et.al.

Discovered by this post on the Luke Rockhold thread.

Hot Female Celebrities Who Practice Martial Arts The Fighter Lifestyle
    2 Months Ago

1) Demi Lovato

Disney girl turned pop star Demi Lovato trains with Team Blackzilians with UFC stars like Rashad Evans. Lovato is an avid fan of the MMA sport, even incorporating it in her songs.

Check out Demi’s pro-like MMA training:

2) Jennifer Aniston

We have been crushing on Jennifer Aniston ever since her ‘Friends’ days. Now, more than a decade later, she keeps her oh so toned body by practicing Budokon, which combines karate and yoga. She was introduced to it by one of her former co-stars from Friends, Courtney Cox.

3) Jessica Biel

Jessical Biel played the sporty and boyish eldest daughter in the TV series “7th Heaven.” In real life, she is also very much into sports. Right now she’s having tons of fun training martial arts.

“I’m really into martial arts now, it’s the most amazing workout ever! And since I’ve been working with a partner, I’ve learned some awesome self-defense moves and most importantly, how to redirect someone’s energy. It gives me a real sense of empowerment.”

4) Gisele Bundchen

Former Victoria Secret queen bee Gisele Bundchen trains kung fu and tai chi under Yao Li, of the Boston Kung Fu Tai Chi Institute. What a way to keep that body in top shape!

5) Sarah Michelle Geller

The Buffy The Vampire Slayer star took her role very seriously so she became a 1st Dan black belt in taekwondo. She’s also trained kickboxing, boxing and street-fighting. Geller can kick ass!
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips