Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrities studying martial arts?

The Return of Gisele

Gisele's entries on this thread:
    She's like the Robert Downey of the modelling world.

Gisele Bundchen’s Kung Fu Workout
    How the stunning supermodel keeps her mind clear, her spirit calm, and her body strong
    By Kristen Aldridge

Supermodel Gisele Bundchen hasn’t officially announced she’s expecting her second child with hubby Tom Brady, but she’s definitely going to have a hard time denying it now. The bikini-clad bombshell was recently spotted in Costa Rica sporting a growing baby bump. With another bundle of joy on the way and a 32nd birthday last month (July 20), there is a lot to celebrate!

No stranger to showing off that incredible bod, the Victoria’s Secret angel sure makes staying in shape look easy. During pregnancy No. 1 (with son Benjamin, now 2 years old), she was still wearing non-maternity clothes in her ninth month! Bundchen told Vogue in 2010, “I was mindful about what I ate, and I gained only 30 pounds. I did kung fu up until two weeks before Benjamin was born, and yoga three days a week.”

There’s no doubt she’ll be continuing her dedicated workouts during pregnancy No. 2, so we spoke with her kung fu instructor, Yao Li of the Boston Kung Fu Tai Chi Institute, to get the scoop on her routine.

“Gisele is very focused and very disciplined. I am often surprised by how quickly she grasps the nuances of the movements. When I teach her new techniques, it often seems as though she already knows them,” Li says. “She is very intuitive and knows what it takes to make the move look right.”

Bundchen, who has worked with Li for the past four years, trains an average of three times per week for 90-minute sessions. The benefits of kung fu for a strong body, a clear mind, and a calm spirit—as well as learning self-defense—are truly inspiring.

“The stance work and kicking techniques improve muscle tone and flexibility in the lower body. Blocking drills and hand techniques do the same for the upper body, especially the shoulders and arms,” Li told SHAPE. “Drills that combine hand and foot work require strength and agility in the core muscles, and help to increase coordination and balance.”

The dynamic duo begin their workouts by stretching for 10 to 15 minutes, followed by individual kicks and sparring drills. Next, they practice forms (a set routine of choreographed techniques that can be either a hand form or weapon form such as the bow staff, spear, or straight sword). Lastly, they do additional upper-body strength training and abdominal work.

Clearly it’s working for Gisele! “Learning kung fu is exciting and energizing… you’ve got to feel what it is and if you don’t try it, you won’t know!” Li says.
    There's a second page with her basic workout if you follow the link above.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Jessica Biel

In contrast, here's Jessica, who 'learnt' martial arts just for the film, says she likes it, but we'll see if she really continues with it.

I learnt martial arts for Total Recall: Jessica Biel
    Renuka Vyavahare, TNN | Aug 1, 2012, 05.40PM IST

The film is the remake of the original Total Recall made in 1990.The film is based on the writer Philip K ****'s short story "We can remember it for you wholesale" and stars actor Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale alongside Jessica Biel in the lead roles.

Talking about her character of Melina, Jessica says, "The character of Melina in this film is quite different from the original film. Len Wiseman and his team have made a lot of difference with this film. To compare the character between both the films is very difficult. Rachel Ticotin has done a fabulous job with the character of Melina she portrayed in the original Total Recall."

Talking about her stunt scenes Jessica says, "While doing the action scenes you do hurt yourself a little, it's no big deal. But while doing an action scene with Kate nothing much happened may be our stars were lucky. I have done all my stunt scenes whatever was required of me to do. But there are some scenes which have been performed for by Janene Carleton. She has been a stunt woman for me in this film and I got to learn a lot from her as well." Jessica loves doing action scenes, she says, "When you do these scenes you put your entire body to use which I don't get to do on everyday basis. I absolutely loved doing the action scenes and I got to learn martial arts as well."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Emily Blunt

I wonder what style. I'm thinking the reference to 'kung-fu skills' is just reporter's license, but if anyone finds out, please to report here. We can always use more kung fu savvy starlets.

Emily Blunt - Emily Blunt Learning Martial Arts For New Movie
    14 September 2012 04:10:50 PM

Emily Blunt has been learning martial arts and shooting skills for her new action movie, 'All You Need Is Kill'.

Emily Blunt has been learning martial arts for her new movie.

The actress is co-starring with Tom Cruise in the futuristic military thriller 'All You Need Is Kill' and she has been perfecting her kung-fu skills to prepare for her role, as well as going out on the shooting range.

She told the Daily Mail newspaper: ''I play an arse-kicking sergeant-major. She really knows how to lock and load. She's not very ladylike, but she's a **** good soldier.''

And No Doubt Emily is loving every moment of shooting the film as she recently revealed she would love to do an action film and perform her own stunts.

The 'Devil Wears Prada' actress said: ''The only thing I haven't done is hang from a building, which I'd quite like to do at some point. Or some wire work - something more actiony.''

However, she also revealed she is ready to take a break from acting.

She said: ''Now that I've been doing it for a long time I don't have the desire to be on a film set all the time. I've already got three-movies coming out this year and I feel already that it's a Blunt overload.

''As Marlon Brando said, you've only got so many faces, so don't run out too quick.''
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ashley Cusato

Does dating a celeb count? Here's a pic

Mel Gibson now dating a stuntwoman with a brown belt in martial arts
    Wednesday Oct 17 2012

It's now been claimed he is romancing Ashley Cusato who is an actress-and-stuntwoman with a brown belt in the martial art.

The Hollywood star has been linked to several women since his turbulent split from Oksana Grigorieva in 2010.

"Sources close to the actor tell us... the two have been dating for about a month - and things are going so well, Mel has already introduced her to several members of his family," reports TMZ.

Ashley has worked as a double for some big names in the movie business, including Denise Richards and Emily Deschanel.

Mel's family are said to be impressed by his new lady love and hope the relationship will go the distance.

"They love her and are convinced she's gonna be around for a long, long time," sources told the website.

In August, it was reported that Mel and aspiring singer-and-model Nadia Lanfranconi were growing close. He was spotted massaging her shoulders while they were dining at a Los Angeles eatery, but later denied they were in a romantic relationship.

The 56-year-old actor has seven children with his ex-wife Robyn, who he split from in 2006. Their divorce was finalised in 2011.

Mel has kept largely out of the limelight since the collapse of his relationship with Oksana. She claimed he had been abusive and got a restraining order against him, while recordings of a man purported to be Mel using racial slurs and other offensive language were made public during their split.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Just saw Anthony Bourdain's wife kick butt with the Gracie's in Rio (0n a recent episode pf No Reservations). Her training is very intense!

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/b...does-jiu-jitsu
    Last edited by TaichiMantis; 10-25-2012 at 04:21 PM.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    i think don cheadle studies kung fu, i remember that little exchange between him and jackie in rush hour two, that **** looked tight i also remember him doing something in meteor man...but that was a long time ago.
    I remember this and was wondering if anyone has more information of Don's studies. I mean his kung fu and his Canto looked tight. Too bad it doesn't mention anything on his wiki page...

Sarah Lian

A new Kung Fu hottie or another martial poseur actress? Either way, I'm headed to Vancouver next month. I should look her up, right:?
    Sarah Lian wants to Kung Fu Fight her way to stardom
    The Daily Chilli
    Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013

Sarah Lian first shot to fame as the local Internet Ah Moi in the 2010 MyEG commercial.

The 29-year-old then went international, playing a sexy shopaholic (in the Hong Kong produced comedy Mister French Taste) and an edgy-looking hacker (in US online crime drama Cybergeddon), this year.

Now, Sarah Lian has set her sights on becoming an action star.

In an interview with the Daily Chilli, the doe-eyed Malaysian actress, now based in Vancouver, Canada, revealed an interest in equipping herself with martial arts skills to pursue action roles.

"Kung Fu is a must. Naturally, for many of the roles that I auditioned for in Canada, one question that always comes up is 'Do you do martial arts?' As an Asian, you have to sort of expect that because of people like Bruce Lee and Michelle Yeoh," she said.

But it's not just the moves that matter, said the Taiping-born, Vancouver-bred beauty.

"It's more of the ability to move a certain way, to understand what the choreographer and set coordinator want you to do. It's much more important than how high you can kick or how strong you are," she explained.

It helps that she had done taekwondo before.

"There are some parts of me that are coordinated [laughs]. And I enjoy working out. Still, it comes as a bit of a challenge.

"I did some basic martial arts training in Toronto for a couple of months. Then I started filming and my schedule got kind of crazy. So I had to stop. I'm definitely looking forward to trying it again in Malaysia. I heard the wushu team here is amazing," said Sarah, who named Indonesian crime thriller The Raid: Redemption as her favourite actioner.

To refresh your memory, the Malaysian darling left Malaysia in March 2011 to pursue bigger acting opportunities in Canada. After a year of working and trying to land a big break, she's now temporarily back in Malaysia.

"After spending three years in Malaysia building up my career, I didn't know what to expect when I was in Canada."

"It's was a huge leap of faith, but with hard work-which involves eating humble pie, auditioning and competing with over 100 actors in Toronto-I slowly started gaining some ground and getting some jobs in TV shows and films."

"While I am recognised in Malaysia for my work, in Canada, I was competing with a few hundred actors for a role. The casting directors would look at your picture, see what you can do, and say, 'Thank you. Call you later.'"

"And you never get the call. You feel like you're one of those people who go, 'Am I ever going to be noticed?'"

"So I put even more work into auditions now than before when I didn't feel I needed to. It's not just the talent. You have to keep working at it. And because I've done that, casting directors remember me."

"They encourage my agent to send me to certain jobs. To have that kind of support from them is humbling. It's amazing and sometimes unfathomable," she said.

Her experiences as a popular host and actress in Malaysia certainly helped.

"It helped that I was not really a newbie. I knew how to work in front a camera, collaborating with others and playing my role well in a team," she said.

Well, how challenging is it for an Asian to work in a Western market?

"It can be. However, I'm happy to say that two of my four roles were cast not because I was Asian. The script never reads something like 'Asian girl walk into the room.' They just think I fit the bill," she said.

Though she's based in Canada, Sarah is open to "working internationally."

"I speak predominantly English, Cantonese and a bit of Mandarin. I'm currently shooting a film in Hong Kong now and they've got a Beijing arm. We are in talks of doing future projects like Chinese films together. I'm really excited," she said.

She remained tight-lipped on her ongoing shooting in Hong Kong though, merely revealing that it's a Hollywood film produced by the folks behind American series The Walking Dead.

"I can't really talk about it, except that it's a horror film, one that might generate a bit of controversy when it comes out. I'm one of the main characters and the film will be released around October next year."

Right now, Sarah just wants to kick back and relax.

"I've spent a full year in Toronto. So while I'm back here, I mostly just enjoy the good food and meet up with my family and friends," she said.

Chances are, she's also going to knock on the doors of Hollywood soon.

"I've had producers pulling me aside and said they want to make some introductions in Los Angeles. So I might spend a few weeks in Los Angeles next year," she revealed.

Still, the thought of trying to make it in Tinseltown sounds "very daunting" to her.

"It's a huge market and everyone is an actor there. I would have to start there from scratch. So I would want to build my name first in Toronto, get a few more things under my belt, so that I would feel more comfortable going there," she concluded.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kate Beckinsale

I should really see Total Recall (2012). Any film that got both Kate and Jessica Biel doing martial arts is all right.

By Becca Longmire On January 3, 2013
    Kate Beckinsale 'Threatens To Use Martial Arts Skills' On Daughter's Unsuitable Boyfriends

The actress wants to continue the tough girl image that she had in the 'Total Recall' remake

Like any mother, Kate Beckinsale is super protective over daughter Lily and the actress has even gone as far as to say that if any unsuitable boys try to date her daughter, she will use her newly learned martial arts skills to frighten them away.

After being cast as the villain in the 'Total Recall' remake, Kate hopes that this tough girl image will stick with the friends of her 13 year old daughter, from her romance with 'Twilight' star Michael Sheen.

She told Easy Living magazine: "All those boys hopefully will."

"I remember Len talking to Bruce Willis when Len did Live Free Or Die Hard and I think Bruce did some terrifying things when his daughter got a boyfriend. Len and I asked him 'When Lily starts having boyfriends, will you come over?, We'll all stand stand on the doorstep and scare the s*** out of them."

"But maybe now I don't need Bruce. Now that I'm a villain, I can go solo."

Kate takes her daughter & friends out for dinner (Photo: WENN)

Kate also went on to talk age, saying that being 39 didn't make her feel old, but having a teenage daughter did.

She said: "I grade age much less by the number than by how shocking it is to have a child who is the age mine is."

Adding, "I haven't experience a full-facial collapse, or grown a beard. Those things probably will happen, but they haven't yet.

"It's more of the thing about being embarrassing to somebody. I can't dance at a party where there are teenagers without clearing the floor."

"Those are the things that make me go, 'Wow, I'm old.' It doesn't matter if you're the bad girl in an action movie - you're a parent; everybody leaves."
    You know, if I was dating Kate Beckinsale's daughter and was invited over and Kate was standing at the door threatening me with martial arts, I don't think fear would be coursing through my mind...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

You know, if I was dating Kate Beckinsale's daughter and was invited over and Kate was standing at the door threatening me with martial arts, I don't think fear would be coursing through my mind...
    Threesome huh?

I AM SHOCKED!!!!!!!

Now I never said that...

...and just what would be coursing through your mind, Scott?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

...and just what would be coursing through your mind, Scott?
    I just finished my workout, I drank my large post workout glass of chocolate milk, I was minding my own business reading my emails and I was shocked to discover that you have been dating Kate Beckinsale's daughter!!!!!!

I said 'if'

if *only*

Dayum, Scott. What do you put in that chocolate milk?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

if *only*

Dayum, Scott. What do you put in that chocolate milk?
    I see, so are you saying I was correct the first time?

You said "fear" would not be "coursing" through your mind, implying something else would be "coursing"!!

Well now, the word "coursing" is an interesting choice. "Coursing" as a descriptive word used in a sentence where attractive women are mentioned commonly conjures rather specific imagery, don't you think?

I'm just saying, I'm the innocent party here, minding my own business......

I have trouble buying into a 105 lb girl kicking the crap out of a 180 lb man.

Not sure why hollywood perpetuates that, but hey, if it makes the girls feel good and go train to defend themselves, so be it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

You're wrong, DJ

Kate weighs 115. And I weigh 150. Okay, okay, 160.

Wait, are we still talking about a threesome?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips