Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrities studying martial arts?

Zooey Deschanel

A****able doesn't count.

Hong Kong Zooey! Dainty Miss Deschanel unleashes some martial arts moves
    By Amelia Proud
    PUBLISHED: 21:19 EST, 19 March 2012 | UPDATED: 03:31 EST, 20 March 2012

She's a demure little being, with a nice line in dainty outfits.

But Zooey Deschanel transformed into 70s' kung-fu superhero Hong Kong Phooey on the set of New Girl in New York today.

The 32-year-old is too young to remember the animated crime fighting canine the first time around but the Hanna-Barbera cartoon has been aired on both sides of the Atlantic for generations.

Take that! Zooey Deschanel appeared to beat up one of her co-stars as she filmed a scene for New Girl in LA today

His USP was that he was small but deadly, as Zooey's character seemed to be today.

The show centres on a girl called Jess Day, played by Zooey, who is in her 20s and moves in with three young men after she breaks up with her cheating boyfriend.

The actress – who announced she was to divorce her Death Cab For Cutie front man husband last December – looked lovely in black trousers and a cream jumper for her dust up.

Deschanel and the band's frontman Ben Gibbard 35, got married near Seattle, Wash in late September 2009.

The sweater was accessorised with a fancy pearl design but the brunette with the cobalt blue eyes dressed the outfit down with flat boots.

Last week the star seemed to make a new best friend in the form of fellow actress Lindsay Lohan.

Despite their different personalities, Deschanel reached out to the 25-year-old after hearing tons of criticism regarding her performance on Saturday Night Live at the weekend.

While stars such as Josh Groban and Joan Rivers publicly laid into the star, Zooey jumped to her defence in an interview.

The star who guest hosted herself last month told Entertainment Weekly: ‘It’s so hard. And can I say something? I thought she did a really good job; everyone reads off cue cards. There were some people saying “She read off cue cards!” Everyone - the cast members, the host - everyone reads off cue cards. That’s how it’s done, because they change the script right before, so you have to read off cue cards.’

SNL marked the show’s highest number of viewers of the season with a 5.5 overnight household rating, according to an EW report.

She added about her time on the show: ‘It’s a very hard thing to do. It was very fun — one of the best weeks of my life. It was a lot of rehearsal, a lot of work leading up to it, and it’s difficult.’
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Ron Paul

Well, not really. Check out this Jay Leno clip - skip to 1:56.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Well, not really. Check out this Jay Leno clip - skip to 1:56.
    Awesome.
    I don't know why but I like Ron Paul, which considering how much I hate politicians is a very freaky thing.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

**** Dale

'trained in karate at a Shaolin temple' indeed
    **** Dale: Still the king
    Matthew Sigur
    msigur@theadvertiser.com
    • April 12, 2012

**** Dale is just about to leave for his millionth world tour.

He’s eating a submarine sandwich with “20 inches of meat” in between two thin pieces of bread with his wife, Lana.

“Rocky’s Pizza is the best there is,” Dale said over the phone. “We’ve never eaten anything that’s as pleasurable.”

Dale is, indisputably, the king of surf rock guitar. In the early ‘60s, he took the world by storm with his lightning-fast, ultra-loud, reverb-drenched instrumentals.

Decades later, his surfy, soulful take on the Greek folk song “Misirlou” pushed him back into prominence when it was included on Quentin Tarantino’s “Pulp Fiction” soundtrack.

But even without that bounce, his sound never lost relevance. To this day, he’s still playing — fast, loud, and with the guitar upside down and backwards.

Dale is also indisputably one of the most interesting characters I’ve talked to. His dialogue is almost too cool.

“They said I’m louder than Motorhead,” he said about his signature transformer speakers. “I told Leo Fender I wanted two of those big speakers, peaking at 180 watts. I told him that’s where my people’s ears bleed.”

He’s trained in karate at a Shaolin temple — where “the master wouldn’t let you hit the drum until you could enunciate the rhythms and speak it.”

Stories like this are important to describing Dale’s sound.

Part of Dale’s speedy sounds comes from his love of Gene Krupa’s drum — “I wanted my guitar to sound like his drums,” Dale said.

The other part comes from what he heard throughout his life — the drums at the Shaolin Temple, and raising lions and tigers.

“The lions would scream when they would see me,” Dale said. “They would go ‘Wahh,’ and I started imitating the lions and tigers in my music.”

And, of course, there’s the surfing — “There’s surfing in a big tube. I would take sounds from the ocean,” he said.

For Dale, it was never about listening to all different types of music and seeing what he could pepper into his songs.

“I don’t listen to it,” he said. “I never did like musicians or people in show business. I can’t stand talking to a can of beers.”

No, it was and still is about playing with discipline, timing and perfection.

This May, he’ll be 75 years old. He still loves to play, but he’s on tour because he’s a sick man. He needs money for medicine. Dale has battled cancer and various illnesses the past couple of years. However, Dale finds the humor and fun in all of it.

“I feel like I’ve been here to be Johnny Appleseed — to sprinkle all the humor to the cancer patients,” Dale said. “It’s like a motorcycle club at the shows. I’ll ask them, ‘How many times have you been cut open?’”

If sickness does threaten again, he’ll keep going just like he did before. **** Dale’s personality is just like his music — full of disciplined, loud, fast attack.

“When I die, it’s not going to be in a rocking chair with a big belly,” he said. “I’ll die in one big explosion of body parts on stage.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    'trained in karate at a Shaolin temple' indeed
    Hmmm, how does one train at a shaolin temple and call it "karate" ?

It's **** Dale!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Hmmm, how does one train at a shaolin temple and call it "karate" ?
    Same way you raise lions and tigers.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Scarlett Johansson

Scarlett Johansson did extensive martial-arts training for the Avengers

The Avengers star Scarlett Johansson underwent extensive martial-arts training to play the sexy Black Widow in the superhero action flick.

“You get beat up a lot,” Johansson says in the May 2012 issue of Vogue. “It’s painful.” The grueling training made her lithe and toned and earned her the respect of Avengers director Joss Whedon.

“She was throwing herself all over the place," recounts Whedon. "[She was] the least diva-like human ever on a movie set."

The 5'3" Scarlett, who lost over 10 pounds in 2009 to play the Black Widow in Iron Man 2, has parlayed her stunning looks into a modeling gig as the face of Moët & Chandon champagne.

While Johansson no longer works out as rigorously as she did preparing for the role, she says she feels better when she's active. In 2010, Scarlett revealed she worked out "all the time" to overcome her depression following her divorce from actor Ryan Reynolds.

Johansson, whose divorce was finalized in 2011, is wistful about the breakdown of her marriage. “It was horrible,” she says. “It was devastating. It really throws you. You think that your life is going to be one way, and then, for various reasons or whatever, it doesn’t work out.

"This was something I never thought I would be doing, and there’s no way to navigate it. Nobody can give you the right answer. It’s never anything you want to hear. It’s a very lonely thing. It’s like the loneliest thing you’ll ever do, in some way.”

Scarlett has no regrets about getting married, but realizes in retrospect the marriage couldn't survive the couple's hectic work and travel schedules.

“[It would have been nice] just having more time with my ex and really clocking those hours of face time with the person you love, really live together and not having the pressure of two people that have these careers,” she says.

"It was a beautiful thing: The falling in love and getting married and making that commitment," says Johansson. "I think it’s nice to know that you’re capable of loving somebody in that way. I think it’s a rare opportunity.”

The Avengers, which co-stars Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr. and and Gwyneth Paltrow, hits theaters May 4, 2012.
    Anyone know who she trained with?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=57268

Fight choreographer Jonathan Eusebio adds, "We wanted to make Black Widow very fluid and acrobatic. Wushu, a Chinese fighting style, works well for her body mechanics. It’s very graceful but requires a lot of strength and flexibility. You are also going to see Black Widow executing more sacrifice throws and using a variety of weapons. The game has changed and so has her skill set. She had to learn entirely new things and for her to deal with the various weapons like the ones we gave her was very difficult. She trained very hard and pulled off great performances on game day."

Anyone remember the show Oz?

I stumbled across this and thought it worthy, although not sure how much he qualifies as a celebrity. Apparently he has a radio show on Howard Stern's Sirius station.

Whatever it is he trains in, I would join just to get to wear the uniform. That thing is glorious.

Anyways I can't find any mention of what martial art he actually studies. Wikipedia doesn't say and his website offends my sense of taste.

He laid the kaibosh on JCVD, LOL !

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Respect your Sensei!!!

Our old Patriot Uniform is on sale for only $9.95. Toss on a few star patches, and we'd all have to salute when you walking the the dojo.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nicollete Sheridan

There's more pix if you follow the link.
    Posted by Jessica, Tuesday 04/17/2012, 10:04 am
    Exclusive Pics! Nicollette Sheridan Practices Martial Arts On the Beach With Her New Mystery Man!

There’s nothing like a day at the beach, am I right? Especially if you’re a poor stressed out celeb – you need the rest and relaxation! Luckily (for us), former Desperate Housewives star Nicollette Sheridan gets her relaxation another way – we found her practicing martial arts on the beach in St. Barts earlier today. And this wasn’t some spur-of-the-moment thing: Nicollette had gloves for it.

As did the mystery man who was with her! Trainer or new boyfriend? From the second photo, he definitely looks like her trainer. And from the third, he looks like her (not gentle) lover.

Just saying.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tom Hiddleston

Just posted on the Avengers thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips