SOURCE: PRIME MATE FILMS
11. Do you plan on writing more films of your own in the future?

I do! I do feel like I’m just stepping into my own as an actress first. So at this time I will probably focus on working more as an actress first and trying to gain more experience. But that is also the best time to be, in a way, interning and learning as much as I can about the writing side of things and producing side of things. I just love filmmaking as a whole, and telling stories, and telling peoples stories. And so, any way avenue I can to do that, I want to learn and I want to experiment with it. But I also have that type A personality, so I want to learn more before I put myself out there.

12. What kind of films do you hope to write in the future?

I think the sky is the limit. Wherever I am at my life, I’m always gravitating towards different stories and different genres. So, this could very well change in a year. But I do know that at some point in my career I do want to be, in some capacity, involved in a project to do with human trafficking. I’ve read so much about it, so many autobiographies on it, it’s really a problem in the world that hits me very hard in my gut and my heart. So, I would love to be able to tell that story and shed a little bit more light on that problem in the world. That is one that I know for sure I want to do. When it comes to other things, I don’t know. We’ll see what catches my eye at the time.

SOURCE: INSTAGRAM
13. All your roles in movies such as ‘Man of Steel’, ‘Wonder Woman’, ‘Zack Snyder’s Justice League’ and ‘Army of the Dead’ depict strong women. What are your thoughts on the impact these characters can create in women and children around the world?

My hope is that when people, especially children, see these kinds of characters portrayed more frequently, they will know how possible it is to become that, to be that, and to feel that internally. I don’t want those characters, strong women, to be perceived as something new and exciting. I feel like it should just be how things are. And so my hope is that for kids, they wont see these films as being anything new or out of the ordinary. Because women can be just as strong and capable as the men, and so if it’s shown in a movie that makes sense. Art is a reflection of life, and life is a reflection of art. And so, I just hope that it all becomes normal eventually.

And then also, I as a human being have been affected by the characters I’ve played and I feel like I have gained a lot when it comes to my own sense of strength or self worth. So, I hope that kids watching it can absorb some of that energy and take it with them as they grow up too.

14. The world is coming to know you as a Martial Artist and Canadian Actress, but your IG bio shows us that you’re a lot more than that. Tell us more about these descriptions on your bio.

It’s so funny, that bio! I was just giggling so much as I wrote it because it feels ridiculous. The first few things, the ‘Amazonian’, ‘Kryptonian’ and ‘Edenian’, those of course stemmed from roles I was able to play, that I felt so grateful to be able to be a part of. In the DC world, as an Amazonian or Kryptonian, those are both such strong races. And to be able to portray a woman of Kryptonian or Amazonian blood, I felt was a true honour. So of course I want to lead with those. And Edenian from ‘Mortal Combat Legacy’, that was one of the first major roles that I had and Katana was such an iconic character that I hold that experience very true to my heart. So those top three are very genuine, nice ones. The rest are me being very silly and a total nerd. I probably stayed up too late and thought that rhyming was fun. I would have added a lot more if there wasn’t a limit on it.

15. Your social media posts show that you want your fans to see your “authentic self” by posting a ” Classy” picture alongside a “not-so-classy” picture with the #notthiscoolinreallife. What’s the story behind this?

Other than the fact that I just get such a kick out of it and I think it’s funny, I love seeing other people post real pictures so I want to be a part of it. But I feel like I’m becoming acutely aware of the amount of [followers], especially young girls and especially after ‘Wonder Woman’, looking at my material and looking at the things that I put out there. And I’m very aware of the effect that social media has on all of us, but especially on our youth with depression, comparing themselves, and unrealistic standards. I would like to transform the way that we use social media. Because I do think it can be a beautiful thing in a way of connecting people, a way for a regular person to have a platform to speak when they have something important to say. I want to be a part of that movement in transforming it and not encouraging these unrealistic standards; Making it okay and a positive thing to show yourself in maybe in not the best light, or what people may consider not the best light. So, I just want people to know who I really am. I might put on makeup or get dressed up for interviews, or I might look super cool on screen after sitting in the hair and makeup chair for two hours and have a designer customise wardrobe perfectly to my body. But at home and in my regular life when I don’t have those luxuries, I don’t look like that and that’s not the way I live my life. And that’s okay. I want them to know that that is okay. You can be you and have friends and be liked. You don’t need the makeup and the costumes.

16. What’s your reaction to this year’s Oscar winners?

I am overwhelmed and overjoyed for the amount of representation and diversity we saw in not just this years Oscar nominees, but the winners! As a woman and person of colour myself, I feel grateful that new precedents were set and we as an industry may now hold ourselves to a higher standard.

17. If you had to describe the movie industry in one word, what would that word be?

Imagination.

SOURCE: MADI MACHADO
18. What more can we expect from you in the future?

You can certainly expect more silly pictures on my social media! You can also expect that I’ll always be striving to create a better, healthier image of women and people of colour, minorities, and anyone who has ever felt left out or like the black sheep. I work towards inclusivity and I want my work to reflect that. So that is what people can expect from me.

19. What message do you have for all your fans in Malaysia?

Hello, it’s so nice to see you again! It has been way too long since I’ve gotten to visit. But I hope that by reconnecting even through a zoom interview, you feel my love all the way from Los Angeles and Canada, and I hope to come see everyone again soon.

Malaysia hopes to see Samantha soon too! We are already excited for what she has in store for us next, whether it be another silly picture, a jaw dropping stunt on camera, or a moving film on human trafficking.

If you haven’t watched her thrilling zombie-heist-action movie yet, check out the trailer for “Army of the Dead” here:
I need to tune into Samantha Win.