Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrities studying martial arts?

Heidi Montag

Click for vid.
    EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Heidi Montag Learning Martial Arts Because She Can't Afford Bodyguards
    Posted on Dec 02, 2010 @ 06:48AM

Heidi Montag’s life may have seemed charmed during her days on The Hills, but the reality TV star revealed a darker side of fame in a recent exclusive interview with RadarOnline.com. Montag says that the attention can often be more overwhelming than flattering and she recently schooled herself in martial arts to learn ways to protect herself.

“I can’t afford security, so I practice self defense and chain punching,” Heidi explained to RadarOnline.com.

Though she used to have a posse of bodyguards on hand, she and husband Spencer Pratt have fallen on learner times. “I have spent millions in security in the last 4 years because I had to take care of the cost all on my own. It’s crazy and it’s hard, but life is not always fair.

“I have had to change my life. I can’t afford to go out to the clubs anymore because the sort of protection I need can cost anywhere from 5 to 10 thousand dollars a night...when you travel it’s even worst, because you need to cover the guards travel, food lodging, etc., and pay them. That is actually where all my money went because safety is number one.”

Besides cutting costs, Heidi has enjoyed the burst of independence from her practice.

“It gives me a confidence I didn’t have before,” she added. “I am doing this self defense because it gives me inner strength, and I feel safe in my home. It’s a deterrent, but I know I can’t do what the body guards do.”

Heidi has been training to become a black belt in Wing Tsun with her trainer (SIFU) Michael Casey who explained that “the system is geared straight towards self defense, so there are no rules. Punches, kicks, knees, elbows, ground fighting, strikes to vital areas. Anything goes as the goal of the system is to stop an opponent.”

“It is scary to be out there without protection, people do follow me and you can never be to careful,” Heidi added.

“It’s overwhelming, and it’s most difficult when I’m in large groups of people.”

The beautiful reality star said that while it takes years to perfect the ancient Chinese martial arts form, she has been practicing for about 6 months and realizes she has a long way to go.

“I’m not ready to go out alone yet...I’m only 5ft 2inches tall and have a small frame so I understand I can’t completely do it alone. Which is why I don’t go out as much anymore.

“Half the reason I am laying low and staying to myself is because I don’t have that security like I used too, and you never can predict what will happen.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Justin Timberlake

Justin Timberlake Injury Stalls Filming On 'Now'
    Posted 18 hrs ago by MTV Movies Team in News
    By Roberto Mucciacciaro

Last week, Justin Timberlake was spotted limping around on crutches after sustaining a leg injury while filming the sci-fi thriller "Now," also starring Amanda Seyfried and Olivia Wilde. We wondered how this might affect production on the movie, and now we know.

E! News has confirmed that production on the film will be temporarily shut down to give Timberlake time to mend. "Justin Timberlake sustained a muscle injury to his calf on the set of Andrew Niccol's thriller 'Now,'" a rep for the production company told the site. "Production has taken a brief hiatus and will resume shortly."

A source told E! News that "shortly" means about two weeks -- just long enough to give J.T. time to heal properly. "He hasn't heard anything about the MRI results," the source said. "But they're freezing production until he's off crutches and able to act again."

In a recent interview with "Entertainment Tonight," Timberlake jokingly spoke about his injured left calf. "My calf is... it's not that bad. It'll be fine. It's not irreversibly damaged... I was just on set and I hurt it. I wish I had a way better story about how I got into this Bruce Lee, kung-fu fight with someone and 'you should see the other guy,' but unfortunately I did it to myself."

Directed by Andrew Niccol, "Now" takes place in a not-too-distant future where people don't age past their 20s. Instead, time is currency and people must pay to stay alive. Timberlake plays a poor guy who inherits a fortune of time but not in time to save his dying mom. Accused of murdering the upper class gent who left him the inheritance, Timberlake's character is forced to go on the run from the authorities. So, yeah, a healthy calf would come in handy.
    This is really more of Kung Fail than Kung Fu, but it's Boo Boo Bear, so it had to be included here. Besides, it's a slow newsfeed day...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Barack Obama

Again. Well, sort of...

Michael Gene Sullivan
    Writer, actor, director, rouser of what the frightened overlords call the rabble
    Posted: December 13, 2010 12:59 AM
    Kung Fu, and the Presidency of Barack Obama

"In combat, spontaneity rules; rote performance of technique perishes." -- Bruce Lee

Back when President Obama was Candidate Obama one of his most commented on talents was his style of dealing with seemingly impossible political situations. Turning negatives into positives, political traps into triumphs, pundits called it mojo, Birthers called it Voodoo. Many called it brilliant. But a few called it what it was -- Kung Fu.

Kung Fu is all about deflection, about using your opponents momentum against them, turning that defense seamlessly into attack. It's coaxing your opponent into attacking, slipping to the side, tripping them as they pass, and giving them a quick smack on the head for good measure. But most importantly to master Kung Fu you must be unpredictable.

"A martial artist who drills exclusively to a set pattern of combat is losing his freedom. He is actually becoming a slave to a choice..." -- Bruce Lee

Attack:

"A guy named Hussein is running for President!"

Typical politician reaction:

Verbal attacks on muslims, and a promise to bomb something.

Kung Fu:

"That I have a chance to run for the highest office in this nation proves how great a country this is! And that so many people of different backgrounds support me shows how far we have all come in our understanding of what it means to be an American..."

"When my opponent expands, I contract. When he contracts, I expand."-- Bruce Lee

Attack: "He got a racist preacher!"

Typical politician reaction:

Throw preacher under the bus, deny existence of racism in America.

Kung Fu:

"I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother."

and:

"Just as black anger often proved counterproductive, so have these white resentments distracted attention from the real culprits of the middle class squeeze - a corporate culture rife with inside dealing, questionable accounting practices, and short-term greed; a Washington dominated by lobbyists and special interests; economic policies that favor the few over the many."

"The highest technique is to have no technique. My technique is a result of your technique; my movement is a result of your movement." -- Bruce Lee

Obama's Kung Fu was strong. While his opponents kept attacking the same old way, relying on him to respond the same old way, he deflected their attacks, used their weight and momentum against them, and before they knew it they were on their backs, gasping and confused.

Attack:

"Pull the troops out of Iraq? He wants to surrender to the terrorists!"

Fu:

"Our mission in Iraq is over, and we must not shed any more of our children's, father's or mother's precious blood there. We must focus on where those who actually attacked us still are."

This was the Kung Fu Master people voted for, and we were crowding the arena to see him kick conservative butt just like Bruce Lee did to that dude with the face scar in Enter the Dragon! Sensei Obama was going to flip, clip, dip, dazzle and finally change Washington into a place where the People, not the evil business lobbyists, control the Nunchucks of Power!

"Be like water..."-- Bruce Lee

But when this Dragon finally did Enter Washington, there was something suddenly not so martial about his art. Suddenly he seemed as yielding as water. "Water can yield, it can also crash!" said Bruce Lee. Great! But where was the crash? Once in office Obama seemed to be the one doing all the contracting, while his opponents were expanding like toads! To please critics he fired supporters and took advisors who disagreed with his stated opinions. He adopted policies he'd attacked months earlier. Bankers got bonuses, homeowners got shafted, Wall Street got bailed out, Main Street got left out, nobody got a Public Option, and Guantanamo... well, it's still open for business.

Some said he was unprepared for the office, others that he was bidding his time (waiting for the right moment to unleash his awesomeness) Others said he had to make decisions based on new political realities. Some simply said he lost his mojo. But I think it was much worse, much more fundamental. I think he lost his dojo.

"One should not respond to circumstance with artificial and "wooden" prearrangement. Your action should be like the immediacy of a shadow adapting to its moving object." -- Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee always said that if your Kung Fu becomes predictable, you will lose -- and Obama's Kung Fu became exactly that. Despite his willingness to deal with difficult problems, he had a weakness which allowed his opponents to dictate his reaction, make him predictable, and ultimately defeatable. And the weakness is that Barack Obama desperately needs to be seen as fair, above the political fray, as not using his power to stifle or oppress his opponents. Once those opponents realized that an accusation of partisanship would incite a predictable shift on the President's part toward bipartisanship, that they could easily maneuver into a position where compromise became his goal rather than winning, they had him.

And that was that. His Kung Fu was negated, because he was easily coaxed into a predictable response. Simply accuse Obama of being too partisan, of not being willing to work with you, and he will sacrifice his strategic advantage and cut himself off from his allies to prove he is willing to compromise. Now, compromise is an important option in every fight - you might be evenly matched and have to reach an understanding. But Obama became defeatable when the mere accusation of his not being willing to compromise meant he would have a predictable, automatic response. All it takes is a loud "You're trying to pass this over the will of the Minority" as we heard in the recent extension of the Bush Tax cuts for the wealthy, and before the fight begins White House compromise becomes the deal of the day. Obama's Kung Fu was beaten.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them."
    -- Bruce Lee

At the end of Enter the Dragon Bruce Lee is fighting against that freaky guy with the swapable metal weapon hands in a hall of mirrors, the two of them hunting each other through the narrow passages, with Lee punching at reflections. Obama is also caught in a hall of mirrors, with his enemy coming at him from all directions. But when Obama looks in the mirrors he sees himself in a fighting stance, rejects that image of himself, and lowers his fists. And each time he does he gets punched or kicked again. In a trap created by his enemy he has decided that the most important thing to do is not reflect the posture of someone willing to fight. Ultimately Bruce Lee defeats his enemy by making the unpredictable choice -- he smashes the mirrors, reveals the true location of Kung Fu Cap'n Hook, and kicks him into a conveniently placed spear. And if Barack Obama is going to regain his Kung Fu mastery he must first recognize that his technique is being used to manipulate him, then smash the mirrors that are confusing him so he can concentrate on his actual opponents. He cannot wait for some perfect circumstance where his own fighting can't be used against him. He must fight to win. Is that possible? I don't know, but I do know we cannot wait any longer.

"To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities."
    -- Bruce Lee
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jane Kim

This is just what S.F. needs.

Incoming S.F. supervisor Jane Kim has grand goals
    SAN FRANCISCO
    December 31, 2010|By Rachel Gordon, Chronicle Staff Writer

Jane Kim spent the past four years on the S.F. Board of Education.

Jane Kim's black belt in tae kwon do, a martial art emphasizing strength, discipline and self-defense, may come in handy in her new job as San Francisco supervisor in the sometimes bare-knuckles environment of City Hall politics.

Kim, a Boalt Hall-trained attorney practicing civil rights law, will take over the District Six seat representing the South of Market, Tenderloin and North Mission areas on Jan. 8.

She already has shown she can hold her own during her four-year tenure on the San Francisco Board of Education, the last year as president.

There, she earned a reputation not as an ideologue cemented in her left-leaning political roots but as someone willing to work with her more conservative colleagues to forge compromises - even if, in the end, the divisions remained.

There have been plenty of issues confronting the city's public schools: the school assignment process, the student discipline policy and whether the Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps program belongs in San Francisco schools.

Kim opposed the JROTC and favors alternatives to suspending and expelling students for bad behavior. The new school assignment system, supported by Kim, gives some preference for families hoping to enroll their children in neighborhood schools.

"She doesn't just pooh-pooh every idea that doesn't come out of her camp," said Hydra Mendoza, a school board colleague who described herself as a moderate and Kim as a progressive. "She's open to listening to ideas, but also will challenge me, wanting to know how I came to my position."

Kim has said her legislative priorities at City Hall will include building more affordable housing, improving pedestrian safety, beefing up the city's community policing program, combatting the bedbug epidemic, making it easier to open small businesses, and revitalizing blighted areas by offering businesses incentives to move into vacant storefronts.

She also supports efforts to generate more revenue for the city and backs hiking the city's parking lot tax and imposing a new fee on downtown business interests to help fund Muni service. She said the idea of enacting a local income tax is worth exploring.

Born and raised in Manhattan, Kim is the daughter of Korean immigrants who came to the United States in 1971, six years before her birth.

She grew up speaking Korean and English at home. At 14, she started serious training in the Korean martial art tae kwon do, a pursuit that, she said, made her stronger and more confident.

A single, 33-year-old electric bass player, she rents a condo near Mission Street and South Van Ness Avenue in a hard-to-define neighborhood that falls between Hayes Valley, the South of Market and the Mission. She owns a car and also gets around town on Muni and on foot.

Kim got her political start through community organizing. When she was a teenager, she worked at the Coalition on Homelessness in New York City. She moved west to attend Stanford University, where she majored in political science and Asian American studies, settled in San Francisco 13 years ago and was admitted to the State Bar last year.

She landed a job with the politically connected Chinatown Community Development Center, focusing on tenant rights, affordable housing, public safety, alleyway improvements and youth leadership training.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Christian Slater studies Shaolin Kempo...

Tura Satana

Tura! Tura! Tura!
    The goddess has spoken: Faster, *****cat! Kill! Kill!'s Tura Satana.
    By Kimberly Chun

ELVIS PROPOSED TO her and styled Priscilla in her image. Male cast mates crumbled before her. Playboy Playmates feared her. But after seeing her in Russ Meyer's 1965 masterpiece, Faster, *****cat! Kill! Kill! as a teen, I just wanted to name my firstborn girl after her. Tura Satana Chun – I liked the ring.

Satana's Varla, the knife-throwing, back-breaking, and ball-busting leader of a pack of hell-bent strippers – including the kooky go-go-booted blond Billie (Lori Williams) and heavier-on-the-Italian-than-Chef-Boyardee Rosie (Haji) – was unlike any other in the cinema. She was the butchest babe in the bunch, who killed men with her bare hands, barked orders, and suffered few fools. When a gas station doofus stares down her cleavage, leering, "Boy, that motor's still hot," the Valkyrie snarls back, "You won't find it down there, Columbus." She's "more stallion than mare," quips Stuart Lancaster, the lecher in a wheelchair who hopes to prey on the girls and their teenybopper captive Linda (Susan Bernard) before the women prey on him for his hoarded cash. All you could do was pray: Booted, buckled, and buxom, the formidable Satana/Varla became an inspiration for Quentin Tarantino (where else does Kill Bill's ***** Wagon roll from?), John Waters, Divine (check the sketchy eyebrows), and countless little girls looking for a superheroine, part all-consuming id, part wrathful goddess.

When I call the 66-year-old Satana, née Tura Yamaguchi, at her Reno home, I find her still taking care of business: ordering around a repairman, looking after an autistic grandchild, and coping with a fussy fax machine. "It's trying to tell me that I don't have any more memory," she complains. Her interview proves otherwise.

Bay Guardian: Did you know I wanted to name my daughter after you?

Tura Satana: As a matter of fact, I know of several little girls named either Tura or Varla. I'm flattered. I think it's because the character I play in that film empowered women so much. Varla was a person who was looking to get her own thrills at that time in her life. Russ [Meyer] just liked to have the women in his films play roles that made them look stronger than what they were. Fortunately I got to play who I was! I actually always saw myself as a very independent female.

BG: How did you get involved in Faster, *****cat?

TS: My agent called me and asked me to go for an interview. When he mentioned Russ's name, I said, "No, I don't do porn." He said, "No, this film isn't porn. There is very, very little nudity in it." I said, "OK, as long as it's not porn."

Russ was actually a very nice person. He wasn't very intimidating. He stayed behind his desk. He said, "I want you to read for the main lead in the picture." I said, "OK, how do you want to play it – hard, soft, or what?" He said, "Just read it and see how you think she should be like." I read for him, and he said, "Oh, God, you definitely are Varla."

BG: What was it like growing up Asian in a tough neighborhood in Chicago?

TS: I'm half Japanese and Chinese, a little Filipino, Scotch Irish, and Cheyenne Indian. Yeah, I'm a Heinz 57. [Chuckles] Unfortunately, because I looked Oriental and had slanted eyes and everybody knew that my dad was Japanese, it was very hard growing up in the neighborhood – especially right after the war.

BG: Was your family interned during World War II?

TS: Just my dad, my brother, and I, in Manzanar. I was there for two and a half years, and then they relocated most of the Japanese families to the Midwest, so they were nowhere near any oceans and couldn't send radio signals to any of the Japanese fleet. They just took everybody, anybody that looked Japanese, anybody that was part Japanese. They took my dad because his last name was Yamaguchi – definitely Japanese. Mother was Scotch Irish and Cheyenne Indian. She took a job close by so she could come and see us but was never allowed inside the camp. I think I was four or five years old.

It had a lot to do with shaping my attitude toward life. I knew I had to be able to take care of myself when I grew up. There wasn't going to be anyone else around to do it.

BG: How did you come to learn judo, karate, and aikido?

TS: My father taught me martial arts when I was about nine, right after I was raped by five guys. I was coming home from a bakery for my mom, at night. These five guys, ranging from the ages of 17 or 18 to 21, were in car, grabbed me as I went by, took me to some garage or building, and proceeded to rape me, each one taking their turn. So my dad said I would never, ever get caught like that again. The boys were caught, and the oldest one's father was wealthy enough to pay off a judge to get the boys off, and I went to reform school – because I tempted them.

Like I said, back then, feelings toward Japanese Americans and Japanese, period, were so very high. A lot of people didn't care one way or another whether I was guilty or not. I was elected to get punished for what the Japanese did in the war.

BG: Meyer learned his craft as an Army cameraman during World War II. Did he know what you went through?

TS: No, he never found out about that till after we were sitting around, having dinner after the film was done. He said, "I gotta do the story of your life one of these days."

BG: How did you start dancing?

TS: I became a dancer because nobody would let me become a singer. Nobody wanted to hear my voice, really, even though I have four octaves, and everyone said I had a great voice. Everybody preferred that I show off my figure.

I was dancing at the Follies Theater in downtown Los Angeles. Some producers and directors came in from Warner Bros. Studios. I got a card backstage after the routine, and they said they wanted me for a part in a TV show. I said, "Sure you do." [Laughs] I was very skeptical about all that. [Satana eventually appeared on Hawaiian Eye, as well as The Man from U.N.C.L.E., and in films like Irma la Douce, Our Man Flint, and The Doll Squad.]

BG: From there you went to Faster, *****cat – did you end up improvising off the script?

TS: Yes, I loved the fact that Russ would let us do our own dialogue. He had dialogue from the '40s and maybe '50s, which was not what it should have been in the '60s. It didn't jibe with what was going on. Also, I told him some of the dialogue didn't fit this character, and he said, "Well, I think it does." I said, "Well, I don't, and I'm the one that has to say it." [Laughs]

Susan Bernard had her mother on the set when we first started, and her mother was a typical Hollywood mother. "My daughter's not getting enough dialogue, not getting enough film coverage." I finally told him, "If she doesn't go, I'm leaving."

I decided I'm going to have to make this little girl hate my guts, because talking to her is like talking to a blank wall. I warned everybody ahead of time. Stuart Lancaster even said, "God, this girl is like a paper bag." Had a great body, but she just had no talent when it came to acting. So I said, "The one way to get something from her was to make her deathly afraid of me." But in the process I never realized I was making Lori Williams afraid of me at the same time! Years later, she told me, "I was scared ****less," and I said, "Why? I told you what I was doing," and she said, "Yeah, but you were very convincing!"

BG: Well, you were playing yourself.

TS: I was getting rid of a lot of anger! A lot of things when I was growing up and as young girl – that anger I kept inside of me all those years – I think I finally let it loose.

BG: What other challenges did you have to deal with during Faster, *****cat?

TS: The adverse conditions – we were shooting in July through September, in the desert, and it's 120 in the shade, if you could find any. All of us got very suntanned. The worst part of it was my suntan – a total outline of my outfit. I think it cooked off the first layer of my skin. We stayed in rinky-dinky motels. I found a tarantula and had that for a pet for a while. He loved to climb into my hair.

As long as you aren't threatening to them, they won't bother you either, unless they're hungry, and 9 times out of 10, they don't want to eat anything bigger than they are. The first time I found him, he was crawling up my hand, on my glove. Normally I don't care for bugs at all. But this one was big and furry – he didn't bother me that much.

In between takes, I'd try to teach some of the guys how to fall and tumble to keep from getting hurt. Of course, Ray Barlow [who plays the all-American boy who tussles to the death with Varla] didn't want to learn everything. I had to do all my scenes in slow motion so the camera could catch everything and make it look real. He was afraid I was going to hurt him, and believe me, I came to the point where I really wanted to! Not that I did – I just dislike anybody who's a wuss, and that's exactly what he was. He was afraid of everything. If I had a tarantula on me, he'd go 10 miles away.
    RIP Tura, RIP.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

continued from previous

BG: It sounds like you aren't afraid of much.

TS: Pretty much. If it needs to be done, I get it done.

BG: It's like that moment from the film, with Barlow ...

TS: "I don't try anything – I just do it."

It doesn't hurt to try things, as long you learn from them. My father always told me, "If you're going to live life, you might as well live it the right way and learn something new every day." That's what I do.

BG: What have you learned lately?

TS: I've learned that I'm not invincible. I'm not a superwoman. I had to have a pacemaker put in last year because my heart was beating too fast. I found out I do have my limitations – but not many.
    This went just a little over the max. Typical really, given the topic.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Britney revisited

Britney Spears: 'I'll kung-fu kick you'

Britney Spears has said that she will 'kung-fun' kick those who don't like her new video.

Writing about the 'Hold It Against Me' video which premiered early this morning, she wrote on Twitter: 'Hope you guys love it as much as I do. If you didn't I'll kung fu kick you like I did to that chick in the video.'

Speaking to MTV about the video, the promo's stylist B.Akerlund told MTV: 'We were going for a punk-rock couture look in this video, with a touch of glam.'
    Here's the new vid - the fight scene is amusing - very Captain Kirk.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Pauley Perrette

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Celebrities who practice martial arts?

None. Except for maybe Kisu and he's not quite a huge celebrity. lol

But other than action stars? None. They pay lip service to it, but I seriously doubt there are ardent practitioners among the hollywood types.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SenseiShellie View Post
    Christian Slater studies Shaolin Kempo...
    I sparred against him testing for my green belt when the company we're not allowed to name brought some of the Shaolin Monks to Anaheim a few years ago. He was pretty good, but hammed it up like a professional wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Oh the things I'd let her do to me.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

But other than action stars? None. They pay lip service to it, but I seriously doubt there are ardent practitioners among the hollywood types.
    id argue that Wesley snipes is a martial artist.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

James Caan was a long-time black belt under Tak Kubota, and probably still is training to some degree.

Ed O'Neill is a BJJ black belt under Rorion Gracie.

Marc Singer (V, Beastmaster) was a Hung Gar student of John Leong. Okay, he's not really a Hollywood celebrity anymore (I don't think). But still...

I can agree that most Hollywood celebrities aren't serious martial arts 'lifers', but it's a pretty broad statement to say that none of them are. Very few people of any background are MA lifers, regardless of where they are. But there may be some people who might surprise you.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-09-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    James Caan was a long-time black belt under Tak Kubota, and probably still is training to some degree.

Ed O'Neill is a BJJ black belt under Rorion Gracie.

Marc Singer (V, Beastmaster) was a Hung Gar student of John Leong. Okay, he's not really a Hollywood celebrity anymore (I don't think). But still...

I can agree that most Hollywood celebrities aren't serious martial arts 'lifers', but it's a pretty broad statement to say that none of them are. Very few people of any background are MA lifers, regardless of where they are. But there may be some people who might surprise you.
    Hey, Marc Singer will be returning to the world of V... in the new TV series. He's still Hollywood... to some degree I guess.